Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New Monitor (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051317)

Silent-Runner Dec 23, 2020 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizzer (Post 1338255220)
Anyone try the Acer X35?

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/conten...es/predatorx35

Looks like a beast!

2.4k is a bit rich for my taste, maybe after i won a lottery or two :bleh:

Ghastlyone Dec 23, 2020 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338255258)
I'd definitely have some buyer remorse if that's the case! Anything concrete about it?

That would cure two of my biggest complaints, leaving the only other negative being potential burn in. If that happens, could always move the incoming one to the bedroom (I've been using a 32" 720P in there for like 15 years) and put the smaller, newer display in the office.

HDTVTest just posted a video on Youtube talking about the 2021 LG OLED Lineup. Nothing about 48" models in there, let alone anything smaller. They are releasing an 88" 8K model though. We'll see. I wouldn't hold off at this point, because either way, you'd be missing out. Time will tell though. It'll be awesome if we start seeing some smaller sized OLED panels, but like I said they will carry a huge price premium.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338255260)
This man knows what's up! Gimme 1440p max graphics at high FPS over 60 FPS @ 4K any day of the week.

My .02 and reason why I kept my Samsung G7.

Acroig, I used to think the same thing. Hell, before buying this 48" OLED I used a 165hz 1440p Gsync monitor for about 4 years. Nothing could convince me to go back to that. I cannot tell the difference in response times between the two. With Gsync, 120hz and the OLED instantaneous pixel response times you can now have the best of both worlds. This isn't a 60hz, slow ass 17ms 4K monitor from 4 years ago. We're way past that now days.

Meteor_of_War Dec 23, 2020 09:09 AM

I'm sure the LG CX48 is awesome. But there's other factors about it that prevent it from being right for me though. Firstly, price is just out of my range. Already was tough to spend $1000 on my LG 34GN850. Plus the size is way too big for me to use as a PC monitor.

No matter how the tech improves these points will always make such a display not work for me.

Ghastlyone Dec 23, 2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338255342)
I'm sure the LG CX48 is awesome. But there's other factors about it that prevent it from being right for me though. Firstly, price is just out of my range. Already was tough to spend $1000 on my LG 34GN850. Plus the size is way too big for me to use as a PC monitor.

No matter how the tech improves these points will always make such a display not work for me.

What's cool with this LG, is that I can run 3840x1600 custom resolution for desktop use and with the OLED blacks, you can't tell. I've read about people doing 3840x1440 also. It's like a giant ultrawide ;)

But yeah, I get it. Might not be for everyone with the physical size and overall cost.

Meteor_of_War Dec 23, 2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghastlyone (Post 1338255347)
What's cool with this LG, is that I can run 3840x1600 custom resolution for desktop use and with the OLED blacks, you can't tell. I've read about people doing 3840x1440 also. It's like a giant ultrawide ;)

But yeah, I get it. Might not be for everyone with the physical size and overall cost.

That's definitely cool and solves the drawback of performance issues with 4k. :up:

OverclockN' Dec 23, 2020 10:13 AM

Oh yeah, I meant to say something about that. I was wondering how well that looked/worked.

Seemed like I could do a windowed version of my current resolution, or any lower resolution...and get the same performance. I'll probably end up doing that until I get a 3080. :lol:

Or hell, any game that struggles. Always good to have options. :up:

logical Dec 23, 2020 11:19 AM

Hows text readability on the cx 48? I think it may be my next monitor as I want them sweet ass blacks. It can do 4K 120 when hooked the a pc right? I think Iím going to upgrade this month and grab the monitor next month to make sure I have the pc to run games solid enough.

KAC Dec 23, 2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1338255378)
Hows text readability on the cx 48? I think it may be my next monitor as I want them sweet ass blacks. It can do 4K 120 when hooked the a pc right? I think Iím going to upgrade this month and grab the monitor next month to make sure I have the pc to run games solid enough.

Text is fine.
4K 120 is possible.
Also has Gsync.
Make sure you wear sunglasses when looking at white backgrounds at such close range. :bleh:

SirBaron Dec 23, 2020 11:28 AM

From what I read as long as you turn off the default cleartype font thingy on Windows and use pc/game mode on the cc its text is crystal clear.

logical Dec 23, 2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338255385)
Text is fine.
4K 120 is possible.
Also has Gsync.
Make sure you wear sunglasses when looking at white backgrounds at such close range. :bleh:

What do you mean possible? As the TV is capable of it but doesnt do it? Ot can do it with other drawbacks?

KAC Dec 23, 2020 11:42 AM

You need the cable to run 4K 120. It does it fine after the new firmware updates.

SirBaron Dec 23, 2020 12:17 PM

I imagine it must come with a 2.1 cable?

Nunz Dec 23, 2020 12:19 PM

If it comes with a 2.1, it's probably a short cable

Ghastlyone Dec 23, 2020 12:40 PM

The TV does not come with a cable. You'll have to order an 8K, HDMI 2.1 cable separately. I went with an 8' cable myself, and probably could have got away with a 6' instead (order the shortest cable possible for your setup) No issues with the one I ordered though...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe anyone will be limited to 60hz until upgrading to a 3000 series Nvidia card, or a new 6000 series AMD. 120hz 1440p might be possible with older HDMI 2.0 cards though? I'm not sure.

Logical...text readability is fine on this display. Like SirBaron posted, simply disable ClearType text in Windows.

Here's a good guide to follow to adjust all the settings on this display...

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming...nded_settings/

SirBaron Dec 23, 2020 12:46 PM

ASS, ok will order asap.

Ghastlyone Dec 23, 2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338255407)
ASS, ok will order asap.

I get why LG probably opted to exclude a 2.1 cable. The vast majority of people using one of these displays will probably never fully utilize the HDMI 2.1 ports. You have the small portion of hard core PC gamers like all of us that will use 4K, 120hz who will just have to buy an 8K HDMI cable separate. Not a deal breaker for me by any means. And I don't believe the PS5 and Xbox Series X users have 4k, 120hz support just yet?

SirBaron Dec 23, 2020 01:01 PM

Yes they both have 4k 120Hz support and a few games use it already.

It's not a big issue I just hope the cable arrives before the TV. :p

logical Dec 23, 2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghastlyone (Post 1338255406)
The TV does not come with a cable. You'll have to order an 8K, HDMI 2.1 cable separately. I went with an 8' cable myself, and probably could have got away with a 6' instead (order the shortest cable possible for your setup) No issues with the one I ordered though...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe anyone will be limited to 60hz until upgrading to a 3000 series Nvidia card, or a new 6000 series AMD. 120hz 1440p might be possible with older HDMI 2.0 cards though? I'm not sure.

Logical...text readability is fine on this display. Like SirBaron posted, simply disable ClearType text in Windows.

Here's a good guide to follow to adjust all the settings on this display...

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming...nded_settings/

Good info here. I think I will be ordering as soon as I get this build finish. Looking into parts today and see what I can get. Im thinking I want to go Ryzen.

OverclockN' Dec 23, 2020 01:16 PM

Thanks for the reminder, I'll get a cable on the way as well. I have a bunch of 4k 60Hz capable cables, but I'll need a new one for 120Hz.

I also read about text clarity and was curious about it. Good to hear it's not an issue.

logical Dec 24, 2020 03:02 AM

Almost bought the cx48 today but realized I canít even do 4K 120 without a 3080 so thatís a no go.

So definitely upgrade first but there are no Ryzen cpus or 3080s in stock cause shortages and Christmas time. So maybe next month for everything? :(

KAC Dec 24, 2020 03:18 AM

LG48 used to be very hard to find so if you can nab it I would say go for it. Also you may get a discount right now.

Nunz Dec 24, 2020 06:21 AM

They've been in stock for weeks. I know this because I've been looking at them every day :lol:

SirBaron Dec 24, 2020 06:55 AM

Here is hit and miss OLED's keeping coming and going out of stock.

All I know is I bought mine by accident with the help of Google Shopping :lol:

Usual price on expert.de was 1480 or something like that, but because google shopping searches all sites, and Expert.de has different stock/prices for different regions in the reichland, otherside of Germany the oled was 1220 euro instead.

I haven't recieved a tracking number yet, just that it's ready to be picked up from the delivery firm from the warehouse, but I can't see that happening now till next week.

Mangler Dec 24, 2020 10:36 AM

I'll jump ship once they release a 3x" OLED, 48" is too large for running non-native resolutions.

logical Dec 24, 2020 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338255533)
They've been in stock for weeks. I know this because I've been looking at them every day :lol:

Yeah everywhere I looked they were in stock. Cheapest is Costco at 1450.

Nunz Dec 24, 2020 12:02 PM

Microcenter has it for $1499 at St. David's PA. Very tempting but I'm either waiting on a sale, or for the 2021 models. Didn't the CX48 come out earlier in 2020?

OverclockN' Dec 24, 2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1338255575)
Yeah everywhere I looked they were in stock. Cheapest is Costco at 1450.

That's where I got mine. Their return and warranty policies are too good to ignore. The TV is $1450, plus you have 90 days where you can just simply return it. Then they offer an additional year on their "Concierge" troubleshooting/service. And also, they tacked on a $100 3yr All State warranty as well...but then took that $100 back off on the cart. So it was free. :lol:

The warranty freaked me out, since I never do warranty on anything. So I was curious if I could get the TV without it for another $100 off, but it's a package deal. TV was still $1450, and the warranty was essentially "free" (with the purchase of an expensive TV :p ).

Pretty impressed with Costco right now. I'll be even more impressed if they let me return my 38" LG Ultrawide. I've called their customer service twice and even called my local store direct to verify it won't be a problem and everybody I talked to said no problem. We will see.

EDIT: For anyone looking at buying one of those, it's worth comparing other vendors to Costco's return policies and warranties.

Ghastlyone Dec 24, 2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338255586)
That's where I got mine. Their return and warranty policies are too good to ignore. The TV is $1450, plus you have 90 days where you can just simply return it. Then they offer an additional year on their "Concierge" troubleshooting/service. And also, they tacked on a $100 3yr All State warranty as well...but then took that $100 back off on the cart. So it was free. :lol:

The warranty freaked me out, since I never do warranty on anything. So I was curious if I could get the TV without it for another $100 off, but it's a package deal. TV was still $1450, and the warranty was essentially "free" (with the purchase of an expensive TV :p ).

Pretty impressed with Costco right now. I'll be even more impressed if they let me return my 38" LG Ultrawide. I've called their customer service twice and even called my local store direct to verify it won't be a problem and everybody I talked to said no problem. We will see.

EDIT: For anyone looking at buying one of those, it's worth comparing other vendors to Costco's return policies and warranties.

Hell yeah man, that's a pretty awesome deal :up:. Can't beat that. I use Sam's Club, never had a Costco account. Sam's usually has some comparable deals

SuperGeil Dec 24, 2020 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338254924)
That really makes no sense what so ever, just because consoles use free sync has no bearing on pc hardware, plus not sure what consoles have to do with PC gsync monitors anyway.

I meant that buying a gsync only monitor now is pointless. The TV was a great choice and has Premium Freesync. If he ever so choose to use a next gen console on it because it would be amazing looking on it...
The last monitor he had I think was only freesync compatible. Not sure how that even works. But to me it's silly to buy high-end monitors lose half their value the moment you plug a console in it.

(also someone told you are English, and I feel dumb:lol: )

Nunz Dec 24, 2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperGeil (Post 1338255634)
I meant that buying a gsync only monitor now is pointless. The TV was a great choice and has Premium Freesync. If he ever so choose to use a next gen console on it because it would be amazing looking on it...
The last monitor he had I think was only freesync compatible. Not sure how that even works. But to me it's silly to buy high-end monitors lose half their value the moment you plug a console in it.

(also someone told you are English, and I feel dumb:lol: )

Any new GSync monitor also supports VESA VRR and FreeSync. There are multiple GSync monitors on the market that have hardware GSync modules and support FreeSync as well, my LG 38GL950G is one of them. This was something NV has been working on since 2019. The newer GSync modules are all FreeSync and VESA VRR capable.