Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New Monitor (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051317)

KAC Aug 22, 2020 12:25 AM

I have been using IPS panels for almost 5 years now and don't have burn in. However, I do keep my screen off when not in use.

Mangler how did you manage to burn in an IPS panel? What were the usage conditions?

OverclockN' Aug 22, 2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338215985)
I have been using IPS panels for almost 5 years now and don't have burn in. However, I do keep my screen off when not in use.

Mangler how did you manage to burn in an IPS panel? What were the usage conditions?

I have had my desktop set to a pure black screen with nothing on it and all icons hidden for many years, plus my task bar is set to auto hide. With my Sony X900F and no bright stuff on the screen, it goes perfect black. There are times I forgot I left it on and turned it off. :lol:

KAC Aug 22, 2020 01:02 AM

Yes I am pretty sure that the screen usage conditions dictate the burn in. My new OLED seems to be quite picky about image retention. I have put OLED light a bit lower in energy saving mode so that I don’t have image retention. I will try this for a few days.

But on IPS panel I don’t see myself causing any damage so you should be fine as well. I am waiting for the Gsync module version to arrive in Dubai - they said it is next month and then may indulge in one.

demo Aug 22, 2020 02:57 AM

I personally think the 38GN950 (Gsync compatibility) edges out the 38GL950 (Gsync module), but up to you KAC.

The 38GN950 is about $500 cheaper here and has HDR600 support (vs HDR400). But of course, there are advantages to having a Gsync module and both displays are very similar, can't go wrong with either one.

KAC Aug 22, 2020 04:34 AM

HDR 600 seriously? :nuts: I didn't know that. There are so many models that I am getting confused. Will check out website for full details. Thanks for the help.
Seems this is the only one coming out here.

https://www.lg.com/ae/monitors/lg-38WN95C-W

demo Aug 22, 2020 04:51 AM

That's the 'work station' version, which is also very nice but as Mangler said on the previous page, VRR and HDR don't work together for some odd reason. You have to pick one or the other.

There's 3 38" models, from highest to lowest price:
38GL950 (Gsync module, HDR400, 175Hz)
38GN950 (Gsync/Freesync compatibility, HDR600, 160Hz)
38WN95C (Gsync/Freesync compatibility, HDR600, 144Hz, Thunderbolt 3)

There's also the Acer x38P which is pretty much identical to the 38GL950 in specs, but probably has Acers typical poor build quality..

Mangler Aug 22, 2020 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338215985)

I honestly don't know, but there is a faint image of the taskbar that is only visible under certain conditions.

Mangler Aug 22, 2020 05:45 AM

One advantage of the freesync version of this panel is that apparently the 950 has the gsync ultimate module, so you will have some fan noise.

I've read some really conflicting posts about just how loud it is though, some people claim that it isn't audible, others say that it is an hairdryer.

KAC Aug 22, 2020 07:19 AM

Thanks for clarifying. Seems GN950 is the best option for me. Still will wait till end of year before purchase. I think I have spent enough on displays for this year :bleh:

Mangler Aug 22, 2020 09:44 AM

I know I'm a huge hypocrite for saying this, but the wise thing do to right now is to wait for hdmi 2.1 monitors.

All high resolution, high refresh rate monitors on the market right now are bandwidth limited, and hdmi 2.1 is the cure for that.

KAC Aug 22, 2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1338216061)
I know I'm a huge hypocrite for saying this, but the wise thing do to right now is to wait for hdmi 2.1 monitors.

All high resolution, high refresh rate monitors on the market right now are bandwidth limited, and hdmi 2.1 is the cure for that.

I am in no hurry tbh. I can wait for HDMI 2.1 support.

OverclockN' Aug 22, 2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1338216061)

From what I've read, you're fine if you use Displayport. At least for everything sub-4k. My research hasn't been around 4k really. But people are using Displayport fine for 3800x1600 up to 144Hz.

Mangler Aug 22, 2020 10:52 AM

You can't do 10bit at 144hz though, and 160hz/175hz needs chroma subsampling.

demo Aug 22, 2020 11:59 AM

I've read 8-bit 4:4:4 is good up to 160hz, but what's the max for 10-bit 4:4:4? 120hz?

Mangler Aug 22, 2020 12:11 PM

Oh ****, you are right, I must have gotten things mixed up with the gsync model.

And yes, 120hz is the limit for 10bit 4:4:4.

I did not even bother to enable the OC mode/160hz because I was so certain about 144hz being the limit for good IQ.

demo Aug 22, 2020 12:26 PM

I've found 8-bit is fine for game HDR, unlike video which needs 10-bit.

OverclockN' Aug 28, 2020 09:19 PM

After a few weeks of searching and then deciding on a monitor and waiting for it to get in stock somewhere, I finally purchased one tonight.

Bought the LG Ultragear 38GN950-B. Should be here on Tuesday.

Thanks for all the suggestions/help guys! Much appreciated. :up:

KAC Aug 28, 2020 09:37 PM

Do post a review. I was looking at the Odyssey G7 but it has major flickering issues when G Sync compatibility is turned on. It was just the right size for my desk but decided against it. Now waiting for this model to come in Dubai as well. How much did it run you?

OverclockN' Aug 28, 2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338218112)
Do post a review. I was looking at the Odyssey G7 but it has major flickering issues when G Sync compatibility is turned on. It was just the right size for my desk but decided against it. Now waiting for this model to come in Dubai as well. How much did it run you?

Will do! Should be able to get a decent overview since I'll be using the vast majority of its features. I'll also be using two video inputs so I can tie half the monitor to my work laptop during work hours while keeping the other side of the screen for my personal computer.

It's $1600 here in the states from most retailers. I purchased it from Costco for $1400.

KAC Aug 28, 2020 11:01 PM

1400 is a good price. Only slightly higher than my 55 CX. :). :up:

1600 is ridiculous though and not warranted IMO. Seems I can get it all the way from Costco for a cool 1550 shipped to my door in 10 days. :bleh:

OverclockN' Aug 28, 2020 11:49 PM

Yeah, it's definitely a lot of money. I really struggled with it too, as you can see from the first few pages of this thread. :cry: But, it ticks all the right boxes and leaves room to grow. High resolution, big, 144-160Hz, Gsync compatible, dual video input, etc. Hopefully works out for many years.

Ghastlyone Aug 29, 2020 10:37 AM

That looks like an awesome monitor. Do let us know what you think when you get it setup.
I was looking at going 49" super ultra wide, but that 3840x1600 might be the sweet spot. I imagine that resolution is more supported in games too.
I'm still using my ViewSonic 1440p 165hz Gsync display. High refresh Ultrawide I think is the next upgrade for me. I'm going to hold off on 4K for awhile longer.

demo Aug 31, 2020 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338218153)
Yeah, it's definitely a lot of money. I really struggled with it too, as you can see from the first few pages of this thread. :cry: But, it ticks all the right boxes and leaves room to grow. High resolution, big, 144-160Hz, Gsync compatible, dual video input, etc. Hopefully works out for many years.

Let us know your thoughts - I just pre-ordered one but is 6 weeks away.

OverclockN' Aug 31, 2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghastlyone (Post 1338218228)
Do let us know what you think when you get it setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338218713)
Let us know your thoughts - I just pre-ordered one but is 6 weeks away.

Will do guys! :up:

It should be arriving tomorrow.

KAC Aug 31, 2020 11:48 AM

Nice. I have tried to find reviews of this monitor but there isn’t much out there.

OverclockN' Sep 1, 2020 09:14 PM

Initial impressions of this monitor are pretty good, but I'm seriously bottlenecked right now using IGP of my i5 3570k. Best it can do right now is 3840x1600 at 30Hz and 8bit color. :lol: My new Lancool II Mesh Performance case arrived today, so I can rebuild my 2nd PC into that tomorrow and install one of my 1080Ti's in it. I'm running into issues right now with the case I'm currently using.

But...back to the monitor. It's bittersweet, so first with the good stuff.

The size is perfect for an office/productivity/gaming monitor, IMO. This is without getting into the WTF is this territory like I did when I was using my 49" 4k Sony. I had to push the desk back from the wall quite a ways and the whole setup just looked goofy. This looks just so perfect! I do think it's taking a bit too much space on my actual desk and I'm sitting a bit close yet, but that's easily fixed with a desk mounted arm. No big deal. Colors seem good, but I'm not blown away. Given how limited I am with the video output right now, I can't fault that. Plus, I'm use to a nice 4k HDR tv that jsut POPS.

The build quality is really good. The RGB is pretty bright and there are plenty of options if that's your thing. I had it off most of the night and then accidentally bumped the button to turn it on, then decided to play with it a bit. I locked it to just a simple bright white to use as a backlight, and I actually like it quite a bit. The onscreen displays are really easy to use, and the joystick has built in functions so you dont actually have to use the OSD at all if you just need a simple action done (input, brightness, etc).

The productivity is OUTSTANDING. This is great. I was wondering if I'd be upset not having 4k, but this thing does 3 large windows quite comfortably, and you could do more if you really wanted to. The real star of the show is the LG application/window manager software. Wow, is that thing slick. You can do 50/50 split and corners simply enough in windows, but one click of a button on the LG and it creates however many borders you want and you just toss windows and applications in there and it's just quick and simple as hell. No holding anything in just the right spot, you just toss it in there. It's GREAT!

I'd love to give more input on things that might matter more to other people, like high refresh rate testing, gsync, and full color...but I can't right now. Maybe tomorrow night when I get the PC in the new case with the 1080Ti.

So, on to the bad part. I'm returning the display. :cry: I was originally looking at the sister monitor to this one, the 38WN95C-W. Two of the MAJOR key selling points for me was dual inputs (Picture by Picture) and built in speakers. That would allow me to run my work laptop on half the display, while having my home PC running next to it simaltaneously. Also, I could do a number of other combinations, like my AVSRetro NES and my PC, while having the audio for the NES routed through the monitor speakers. Unfortunately, I thought this monitor could do that also, and it can't. If I take this back, I lose the RGB and maybe some other gaming features I couldn't care less about (though the rest of the specs look the same). So, I believe I'll be returning this Ultragear for the it's twin so I can get dual input functionality. I'll likely buy that as soon as I see it in stock and keep using this one, then return it when I get the other.

OverclockN' Sep 1, 2020 09:16 PM

3-way split using LG screen software

OverclockN' Sep 1, 2020 09:35 PM

Couple more testing out various NES games on the RetroAVS-USB, which puts out a crisp 720P image. Monitor has pretty much zero graininess with it's coating. All my other monitors were pretty bad, but this one seems super clean. This is also why I'd want the dual input. Being able to play these games on half the monitor while having my PC up on the other side would be great.

dodger Sep 1, 2020 09:44 PM

Glad you at least know the resolution is acceptable and there's no real loss of verticalness that the 1st gens had. Hopefully you'll get your PC moved so you can at least drive it more fully before returning it for the sister model and looking forward to a further review!

Trunks0 Sep 1, 2020 10:15 PM

Awesome :up:. Might want to also check out Microsoft PowerToy's Fancy Zones. As an alternative to the LG software. But if it works, it works :up:.

*edit*
For comparison's sake. I mimic'ed your 3 window split using the same-ish web pages on my 32:9, to demo just how much extra space 1600 is vs 1080.