Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New Monitor (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051317)

OverclockN' Sep 1, 2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1338219716)
Awesome :up:. Might want to also check out Microsoft PowerToy's Fancy Zones. As an alternative to the LG software. But if it works, it works :up:.

Oh, right. Forgot all about that. I'll look into it. :)

KAC Sep 2, 2020 12:27 AM

What is the difference between GN and WN? I believe Dubai is getting WN first. WK is already here.

demo Sep 2, 2020 01:36 AM

Glad to hear you like it, it looks great. Nice write up too, very informative. Shame about the productivity/split screen software. Other than that though, it looks fantastic. :up: Mine is still on pre-order but am thinking of cancelling. Pretty happy with my current LG plus I sit closer than most people so size is fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338219740)
What is the difference between GN and WN? I believe Dubai is getting WN first. WK is already here.

Posted on the previous page..

GL - 175hz, HDR400, Gsync module.
GN - 160hz, HDR600, Gsync/freesync compat
WN - 144hz, HDR600, Gsync/freesync compat, Thunderbolt, and by the looks of it some software to split screen etc (like Dell monitors)

As Mangler said though, there are some reports VRR and HDR don't work at the same time on the WN, but not sure if verified. I mean, my GK isn't even Gsync certified but it still works fine when enabling the 'Display specific Gsync compatibility' check box.

I also think the WN looks the best as far as build quality and style. The GK, GL, and GN all have those huge ugly forked stands. I bought a round based stand for mine. Was worried it would be unstable but it's actually better than the LG supplied stand.

KAC Sep 2, 2020 05:53 AM

Might be worth waiting for new crop of monitors next year. Still waiting on that 32 inch 144 Hz 4K monitor with HDR 1000 and 1 ms response.

demo Sep 3, 2020 01:01 AM

As much as I like those 38 inch models, I was thinking the same thing.

OverclockN' Sep 3, 2020 04:53 PM

I've decided to keep this monitor. The image quality is fantastic, no dead pixels, good build quality, little light bleed, etc. That counts for a lot.

Decided to do this because I thought of a workaround for having no speakers. I finally realized it had a 1/8 audio out jack in the back intended for headphones. :bleh: So, for anything else I connect to this, I can get audio simply by putting on headphones or I can permanently run a cord from the back of it to my speakers. So that problem is solved.

For the dual input... Well, I've been looking at getting a 2nd display to put above it anyway. So, that makes it completely irrelevant. I got this one from Costco for $200 under what the other one is going for, so I'd be spending $214 or so for stuff that I have a workaround for.

This display I already know is perfect, so what the heck. Good to go. :)

However, now I'm looking for that 2nd monitor. I really want something SMALL. But everything these days is huge. Something 22" or smaller in 1080P would be perfectly fine, but I'd just want to match the high refresh of this panel to avoid that NVIdia funny business with mismatching frequencies. Any suggestions?

logical Sep 3, 2020 05:08 PM

Good to hear I think this is going to be my next one as well. I want Ultrawide with a resolution bump so this is it.

demo Sep 3, 2020 05:43 PM

I'm torn. I really like 21:9 aspect ratio too. I mean 32" 4k is basically a small TV. I think I'll go for the 38".

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338220502)
I've decided to keep this monitor.......

....but I'd just want to match the high refresh of this panel to avoid that NVIdia funny business with mismatching frequencies. Any suggestions?

It's a great monitor and I would have kept it too.

As for refresh rates, I remember mixed frequencies were flakey a few years ago but I now have a 144hz monitor and a TV with 4k60 or 1440p120 support and it all works fine, at least in extended desktop. I haven't tried clone mode, because well, one is 21:9 and the other 16:9.

Higgy10 Sep 3, 2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338220530)
I'm torn. I really like 21:9 aspect ratio too. I mean 32" 4k is basically a small TV. I think I'll go for the 38".

It's a great monitor and I would have kept it too.

As for refresh rates, I remember mixed frequencies were flakey a few years ago but I now have a 144hz monitor and a TV with 4k60 or 1440p120 support and it all works fine, at least in extended desktop. I haven't tried clone mode, because well, one is 21:9 and the other 16:9.

i do the same, run my primary display at 3440x1440 and my tv in 4k60 and all works good in extended mode

OverclockN' Sep 4, 2020 05:36 PM

Spent some time getting the computer hooked up to a DisplayPort cable today. I have kind of an odd setup with the cables going through the wall and the PC sitting in the guest bedroom, rather than the office with me. :lol: It's always 100% quiet in here and never gets warm from a PC. Loving it. :drool:

So now I'm finally using 144Hz. Soooooo, it's ok??? I mean, it's definitely smoother and I can obviously tell. But it's by no means a game changer for me. It's just kind of a subtle thing that's kind of nice, but I'm not sure I'd notice the difference if I just walked up to a PC in a store and it was at 60Hz or 144Hz. I tested GTA V at 100fps, and it's definitely smoother, but again it's kind of a subtle thing and I'd also be just fine at 60fps. So I'm not sure I'm on the whole high refresh bandwagon yet. It's not really doing much for me.

GSYNC is pretty nice. I tested Shadow of the TombRaider that only runs 48-50fps average and it's perfectly smooth. Getting the job done, and that'll be super nice to have. :)

demo Sep 4, 2020 06:13 PM

Play some FPS with high refresh rate, that's where it shines. It's one of those things that once you have it, it's very difficult to go back. Gsync has also negated it a little as motion is always smooth with Gsync anyway.

OverclockN' Sep 4, 2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338220977)
Play some FPS with high refresh rate, that's where it shines. It's one of those things that once you have it, it's very difficult to go back. Gsync has also negated it a little as motion is always smooth with Gsync anyway.

I don't play any though. :lol:

I could install HL2 or something just to test it out, I suppose.

Trunks0 Sep 4, 2020 07:35 PM

It's subtle. But it can be felt and it can make a small difference competitively... but not much.

OverclockN' Sep 4, 2020 09:02 PM

The colors on this display are OUTSTANDING. It really is great, and the pixel density is good enough that I can shrink web pages to 80% and it's still perfect and sharp. Really handy since I've been using the LG screen software to run 3 and 4 tab splits damn near 100% of the time.

Also, a note regarding ultrawide support. I haven't actually run into any games that don't support it except for Life is Strange. But the thing is, a lot of them aren't actually truly ultrawide. I think the games are cheating it a bit. In Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 2, and GTA V for example...they all display full screen, but there is kind of a fisheye effect. It's subtle, but once you notice it you can't unsee it. I didn't even realize it until I walked by a car in GTAV and noticed the tire went oval shaped. Once I saw that, I noticed people got fatter on the edges as well as cars. So, it's stretching the image. Once I saw that, I noticed it all over the monitor on the tops and sides as it stretched things around to fill the screen. I don't like that at all, where 4k was perfect. But...I assume that will get ironed out in the future.

Trunks0 Sep 4, 2020 09:35 PM

Fisheye effect from the wider fov. You can get this in 16x9 as well if your fov is higher. I remember that feeling switching from 4:3 to 16:9.

Some games handle that better than others.

dodger Sep 4, 2020 09:44 PM

These monitors have been out a while you'd figure this would be solved by now! Hopefully some of the games will let you adjust FOV to fix. I'm reading since your monitor is curved it should be easier to fix than a flat 3 monitor setup(which I'm also reading the 1080 driver has something built in for that).

Anyone mention anything about this in that huge flight simulator 2020 thread? I know 3 monitor setups are popular with that kinda game.

KAC Sep 4, 2020 10:02 PM

Fisheye is exactly why I don’t have one. Even games claiming that they support UW do not do it properly. The stretching in fps games would give me a headache.

At least in the games I tried 4-5 years ago, I did FOV changes or hacks and the monitor was just not for me. I am still thinking about whether I should buy one but when I saw some random game playing in the store demo I could see the stretching quite visibly.

It’s something that some people call peripheral vision and how it creates immersion but for me it is stretching and how it completely distorts my vision. Stretched trees, walls, oval tyres, extended bonnets or car interiors, leaves that should be straight tilting in games towards both edges just ruined the fun for me.

Can you try some new games and talk about them like Doom Eternal, Control, Borderlands 3, Star Wars game etc. would love to know what is the status in those games. 1st and 3rd person games are the ones that suffer the most.

OverclockN' Sep 4, 2020 10:38 PM

Just watched a couple shows on Netflix and noticed something else. I think it's judder? Watching movies/shows it gets kind of distracting on panning and people walking about. I could probably ignore/get use to it, but it seems pretty bad from what I'm use to on the big 4k TV I used.

Quote:

Can you try some new games and talk about them like Doom Eternal, Control, Borderlands 3, Star Wars game etc. would love to know what is the status in those games.
Wish I could, but I don't have any of those games. I have Doom 2016 and could try that though.

KAC Sep 5, 2020 12:24 AM

Yup Doom would be fine as I don’t remember if I ever tried it.

OverclockN' Sep 5, 2020 01:02 AM

Doom (2016) also does the fisheye effect quite badly.

Man, it's super annoying. I've never seen a single game do this in 16:9 4k. You spend all this money for image quality, and it's ruined by the game itself. I don't get it.

Hell, I've never even seen anyone mention it before, ever. Everyone's OK with this? :confused:

Trunks0 Sep 5, 2020 01:09 AM

It's 100% there in 16:9. Just switch over to a 16:9 res and take a closer look at your edges. You just get used to it.

demo Sep 5, 2020 01:11 AM

Lower your FOV. As trunks said, it's there on 16:9 displays with FOV too high as well.

As for judder, that's your source material running at 24fps. The larger the screen the more noticeable it is - that's why large TV's have motion interpolation (IE- soap opera effect). Nothing wrong with the display in that regard as 144 is divisible by 24 (6 refreshes per frame). You could try running it at 60hz for 2:3 pulldown, like your previous monitor, but that should be worse.

OverclockN' Sep 5, 2020 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1338221067)
It's 100% there in 16:9. Just switch over to a 16:9 res and take a closer look at your edges. You just get used to it.

I neeeeever noticed it, ever. At 21:9 it's really bad.

Some games you can't go lower than 90. Doom 2016 has it as bad as the others at 90 FOV and it's the lowest setting.

I see what KAC was saying, this is damn near a deal breaker for me. I'm half tempted to return it.

KAC Sep 5, 2020 01:25 AM

Everyone is different in how they perceive vision. Having super sensitive eyes really breaks things for me often than I would like. So for me, I am glad that OC tested this out as I would have gone through a bunch of remorse threads before I would inevitably return the monitor. :D.

OverclockN' Sep 5, 2020 01:34 AM

I tested Doom 2016 quite a bit in 16:9 and you're right, it DOES do it. But it's a little more subtle. I think the issue with 21:9 is it stretches it over a much greater area. This, of course, makes sense...but it just makes it MORE of an issue.

With this 38" 21:9, there is a good 4-5" of strech/fisheye on either side of the monitor. Where 16:9 has a little bit of stretch, on the very edges, the 21:9 starts there and keeps on stretching/warping to the edge.

demo Sep 5, 2020 02:18 AM

Well, it's the exact same image as 16:9 with the same proportions, just with extra view on the sides. It is behaving as a wide angle camera should. I generally find 85 to 90 FOV is fine for me but YMMV.

Mangler Sep 5, 2020 04:55 AM

Your brain will eventually make you more or less automagically ignore the fisheye effect, just give it time.

OverclockN' Sep 5, 2020 10:05 AM

Played Doom a bit last night, and man...it runs at 144fps and is super smooth. It was a lot easier to play than I remember. So yeah, I could tell the high refresh is a lot easier on that fast paced game. :lol:

KAC Sep 5, 2020 11:05 AM

Of course high refresh gaming is something else. 60 Hz will become unplayable after you go through a few games.

Meteor_of_War Sep 5, 2020 11:53 AM

Yeah everyone I know that plays on a high refresh rate monitor says they cannot go back to 60Hz, and that it just feels more sluggish now that they are used to high refresh. This is why I've been hesitant to upgrade my monitor. 60 is still perfectly fine for me and its easier on performance, don't want to spoil myself just yet.