Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New Monitor (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051317)

OverclockN' Aug 6, 2020 05:32 PM

New Monitor
 
My turn for a new monitor thread. :)

Moved my office in my house to a room more suited for that purpose, especially since I'm now working from home until likely next year some time. I was using a 49" Sony X900F, and it was fantastic...but I'm sitting at my desk like a normal person now and that's overkill.

This won't be the primary PC gaming rig since I still have the Sony in the other room, which is now strictly a movie/gaming space (gaming PC in my sig is in that room). The office will be productivity, but also some gaming here and there if the mood strikes me or a particular games is better at a desk. I've already built a 2nd PC with my other hardware, and one of my 1080Ti's will be going in it whenever I get my hands on a new 3080Ti. I kind of want want to dabble in something different, like higher refresh rates. If I do go 4k, it should probably have GSYNC.

Considering a variety of options, and I'll be sitting ~30" from the display(s). Budget is ~$1000, but I'd be willing to splurge on a VERY good display if it hits every criteria and is perfect.

1. 27" 2560x1440
2. 32" 4k
3. No curved displays

I've been looking for a week now at different options and countless reviews/videos. Curious what you guys think are good monitors in these options, and why.

Trunks0 Aug 6, 2020 06:55 PM

As someone who now regularly works on their gaming setup more than I game as I work from home now. Loving having an ultra-wide vs the triple(technically 4 if I include the laptop's screen and 5 if I also include my trouble shooting screen) setup I have at my office desk.

Not as much workspace, but I don't really miss it. The 21:9 is like having 2 x 5:4 monitors in a single screen. Snapping windows around is WAY more functional in this aspect ratio as such I just don't find the need to have 3 screens.

SOooo imho..

1. 60hz....:bleh:, no... Although potentially affordably awesome.
2. Nicer resolution to work at for the size.
3. If your considering dual screens, look at 21:9 or 32:9 instead(although 32:9 is la pricey unless you find a sale)
4. :drool:, but will feel giant given the distance.

demo Aug 6, 2020 07:46 PM

LG 34GN850 has just been released which is a refresh of my current display (34GK950F). 160hz, 21:9, IPS, 3440x1440, 1ms, Freesync+Gsync support.


Or if budget allows, look at the 38" versions with 3840x1600 resolution. Two models, the 38GL950G (Gsync module) and 38WN95C-W (Freesync+Gsync). I'd probably choose the latter due to price.

OverclockN' Aug 6, 2020 07:51 PM

I've looked at ultrawide quite a bit the past week. I even went as far as cutting out cardboard representations of the exact screen size of the 34" and 38" models and taped them on the wall in front my desk. I just don't care for the width vs height. They're not tall enough, I think it would be annoying to play games on them, odd resolution for video content, and I can't stand curved screens.

Maybe I need to see one in person, but that's currently impossible. :cry:




EDIT: Added budget to first post.

dodger Aug 6, 2020 07:55 PM

I think you need to see them in person. Initially height was an issue for folk that still want to work on these monitors but the resolutions have improved such that should not be an issue anymore.

demo Aug 6, 2020 08:01 PM

I absolutely love 21:9, perfect for gaming and can't go back. I also didn't like curved at first, but it makes sense on these displays. I would never use curved on 16:9 displays or TV, but it looks right on 21:9 monitor. I had the same reservations as you, but I'm 100% converted to 21:9 curved now.

CurrentlyPissed Aug 6, 2020 09:28 PM

Unless you are buying a CX OLED, wait for this.

https://videocardz.com/press-release...gaming-monitor


It'd be kinda silly to not buy something without HDMI 2.1 right now.

OverclockN' Aug 6, 2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed (Post 1338211851)
Unless you are buying a CX OLED, wait for this.

https://videocardz.com/press-release...gaming-monitor


It'd be kinda silly to not buy something without HDMI 2.1 right now.

If I go that route, I'd probably entertain the idea if it had any chance of being in my price range. The current ones can still do 4k 120Hz, just not maximizing all the settings (4:4:4, 10bit, HDR). Not that anyone has a chance in hell in running 120fps in 4k any time soon anyway. It'll be years before you could, and that TV will be outdated anyway. So it seems entirely pointless, IMO.

KAC Aug 6, 2020 09:49 PM

LG CX 48 should be right up your alley and budget.

OverclockN' Aug 6, 2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338211858)
LG CX 48 should be right up your alley and budget.

Except it's not right up my alley, as mentioned in my original post. :p

Quote:

I was using a 49" Sony X900F, and it was fantastic...but I'm sitting at my desk like a normal person now and that's overkill.
And also, OLED is completely out of the question for my application. It's an automatic no.

CurrentlyPissed Aug 6, 2020 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338211854)
If I go that route, I'd probably entertain the idea if it had any chance of being in my price range. The current ones can still do 4k 120Hz, just not maximizing all the settings (4:4:4, 10bit, HDR). Not that anyone has a chance in hell in running 120fps in 4k any time soon anyway. It'll be years before you could, and that TV will be outdated anyway. So it seems entirely pointless, IMO.

Then wait until fall/winter until a bunch more 2.1 HDMI devices come out to support consoles. There's really not much out there right now for what you are seeking that is a worthwhile purchase.

KAC Aug 6, 2020 10:00 PM

What is wrong with OLED? You have a 43 inch in there and 48 vs 43 is not that big of a difference.

demo Aug 6, 2020 10:48 PM

Just be aware that current 43" 4k monitors have a weird pixel lay out of BRG instead of RGB, making text look bad. Not sure about the new ASUS that's been announced, though.

Honestly, go with 21:9 for desktop monitor imho. Leave 16:9 for TV. Those 38" LG models look sexy.

OverclockN' Aug 6, 2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed (Post 1338211861)
Then wait until fall/winter until a bunch more 2.1 HDMI devices come out to support consoles. There's really not much out there right now for what you are seeking that is a worthwhile purchase.

I don't think we're on the same page here. Console systems are completely irrelevant to this thread. I have a setup in a different room for console games and movies.

OverclockN' Aug 6, 2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338211862)
What is wrong with OLED? You have a 43 inch in there and 48 vs 43 is not that big of a difference.

OLED has anti-brightness limiters I can't stand and a few other things native to the tech that bug me for a dedicated computer monitor. 43" is arguably too big too, but I added it in at the end because it was a remote consideration. I'll remove it. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338211869)
Just be aware that current 43" 4k monitors have a weird pixel lay out of BRG instead of RGB, making text look bad. Not sure about the new ASUS that's been announced, though.

Honestly, go with 21:9 for desktop monitor imho. Leave 16:9 for TV. Those 38" LG models look sexy.

Yeah, I'm torn on the 21:9 displays. I THINK it would be nice to have either one, but I keep thinking video content would look goofy on it. Black bars and such.

CurrentlyPissed Aug 6, 2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338211873)
I don't think we're on the same page here. Console systems are completely irrelevant to this thread. I have a setup in a different room for console games and movies.

I understand, but consoles will utilize HDMI 2.1, thus making people finally bring it to usable products for you and me for PC. I'm not saying use it for console, I'm saying because consoles are coming out, and they use HDMI 2.1, manufactures will put it into products we will want to use.

Nunz Aug 7, 2020 03:03 AM

Displayport is already capable of 4K 120, or even higher 4K 160. What's the point of waiting for HDMI then? GPUs aren't going to stop having Displayport any time soon.

LG just put out a 27" 4K 160Hz monitor that I was eyeing. I used to roll with 21:9 and did not like it due to poor support for the aspect ratio. That has changed now a days, but I find a larger monitor like that gives me an issue with focusing as it's just so much to look at.

LG 27GN950. The 950-b is a 144Hz. As far as I can tell the 950 is out of stock or not available yet. Either way, it should be shipping very soon.

KAC Aug 7, 2020 03:47 AM

I too had massive issues with UW including eye strain and poor support. The corner of eye stretching and/or HUD issues and/or proper vertical alignment issues etc drove me insane. Don’t know the current state of affairs but my time with a 34” isn’t something I miss.

I would do 32-35 inch 16:9 4K 120 Hz if there is such a thing. When I looked there wasn’t anything available and that too at a reasonable cost and so I went with the OLED.

OverclockN' Aug 7, 2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338211899)
I too had massive issues with UW including eye strain and poor support. The corner of eye stretching and/or HUD issues and/or proper vertical alignment issues etc drove me insane. Don’t know the current state of affairs but my time with a 34” isn’t something I miss.

I would do 32-35 inch 16:9 4K 120 Hz if there is such a thing. When I looked there wasn’t anything available and that too at a reasonable cost and so I went with the OLED.

Yeah, finding a decent OLED looks like so much fun in your other thread. Definite pass for me. :lol: :p


Seriously though, I'm having a hard time getting on the ultrawide bandwagon. It's just a goofy resolution and the smaller displays are just too narrow. 32" 4k seems like the sweet spot for me. 4k 120Hz isn't really a deal breaker, I'd gladly trade 120Hz for higher resolution if it's the only option in that size.

Finding a display is tough!

Exposed Aug 7, 2020 09:03 AM

Office/productivity and light gaming? I was in the same boat. For office/productivity use you do not need a fancy gaming monitor even for light gaming.

Just the basics like a good 27 - 32" display (depending on how far you're sitting) , a true IPS panel to ensure you get good color, and 144hz freesync. Or just 144hz by itself, which is great for general productivity use not just gaming.


Leave the more expensive stuff to your dedicated PC setup, unless you have money to burn.

CurrentlyPissed Aug 7, 2020 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338211892)
Displayport is already capable of 4K 120, or even higher 4K 160. What's the point of waiting for HDMI then? GPUs aren't going to stop having Displayport any time soon.

LG just put out a 27" 4K 160Hz monitor that I was eyeing. I used to roll with 21:9 and did not like it due to poor support for the aspect ratio. That has changed now a days, but I find a larger monitor like that gives me an issue with focusing as it's just so much to look at.

LG 27GN950. The 950-b is a 144Hz. As far as I can tell the 950 is out of stock or not available yet. Either way, it should be shipping very soon.

The LG is nice, but it's an IPS. One of my biggest complaints are the blacks on IPS, so much I regret my AD27QD. Great for color accuracy, and and viewing angles, but VA has made so much improvement in color accuracy, that you migh aswell get those better blacks.

If I was buying a monitor today (and im in the market aswell despite just dropping $600 on the AD27QD) I'd go with VA or OLED. Something with FALD would be good, but OLED is taking over that segment it seems. FALD is simply too expensive unless you are doing an U-UW.

Also I agree with OCN, 32" 4k is probably the next sweet spot up from 27 QHD. 27" 4k is going to be far too low, even with windows at 125%.

SirBaron Aug 7, 2020 09:28 AM

Ultrawide is one of the few reasons that I still game on PC, if it wasn't for that I'd have run off to consoles by now.

KAC Aug 7, 2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338211948)
Yeah, finding a decent OLED looks like so much fun in your other thread. Definite pass for me. :lol: :p


Seriously though, I'm having a hard time getting on the ultrawide bandwagon. It's just a goofy resolution and the smaller displays are just too narrow. 32" 4k seems like the sweet spot for me. 4k 120Hz isn't really a deal breaker, I'd gladly trade 120Hz for higher resolution if it's the only option in that size.

Finding a display is tough!

What I am experiencing is not an issue with 48/55 inch panels.

OverclockN' Aug 7, 2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338211968)
Leave the more expensive stuff to your dedicated PC setup, unless you have money to burn.

I have money to burn, I guess. Looking for the criteria above. If I don't get what I really want, I'm going to regret it. :p


Quote:

One of my biggest complaints are the blacks on IPS
Yeah, I've been considering that also. I'm so use to the excellent, inky blacks after using my X900F as my PC monitor for a couple years, that I can't imagine going IPS. I think I'd notice it right away and be annoyed/regretful of the purchase. Viewing angles are not an issue for my application. I don't plan to use my PC from a 45 angle. :D

OverclockN' Aug 7, 2020 10:00 AM

At first glance, this doesn't seem too bad...

LG 32UL750-W (32", 4k, 60Hz, VA, HDR600)

Mangler Aug 7, 2020 10:07 AM

Is limiting yourself to 60hz a good idea?

Even the console are shedding their 60hz limitations with the xbox XSXSXSXSXSXXS and the PS5.

Embrace the HZ!

CurrentlyPissed Aug 7, 2020 10:08 AM

If you've been playing on 60hz, it'll be fine. If you've been playing on 120 hz/144 it's going to be miserable.

Based of your original post. This is probably the only recommendations I could give. If you must blow the money now, but I'm telling you I'd wait 3-4 months. IT sucks I know, but there's going to be quite a few releases coming out.

Dell S3220DGF

Samsung CHG70

OverclockN' Aug 7, 2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1338212005)
Is limiting yourself to 60hz a good idea?

Even the console are shedding their 60hz limitations with the xbox XSXSXSXSXSXXS and the PS5.

Embrace the HZ!

But it's not for console gaming. I will NEVER hook a console up to this display.

And I think it will be at least 2-3 years yet before we can honestly run any PC games at 4k 120Hz. It's off-topic, but the consoles will NOT be running 4k 120Hz either on any AAA games, I don't care what the marketing claims. :p

I admit that the future-proof aspect would be nice, but it's not really a deal killer for me.

pax Aug 7, 2020 12:52 PM

Yeah going from 4 year old 28" ips to 32" VA samsung panel sold by Dell I didnt see any loss of color and its viewing angles are fine. Sure some detail when close up (less than 12" from the screen which isnt practical) are missing due to going from 4k down to 1440p and upping to 32" but having 165hz now after almost 20 years of 60z Id say anything thats 1000$ and still 60hz should be a non starter. 144hz+ along with freesync its a huge diff.

I mean there are quite a few 144 hz panels at 500$ now so why downgrade for a namebrand? Just make sure the panel is well sourced.

OverclockN' Aug 7, 2020 10:31 PM

I'll be stopping by the local Best Buy tomorrow to swap out a mouse. Going to try and check out some of the monitors while I'm there. Hopefully get a short sample of everything.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Not sure I'm any closer to making a decision yet, but it'll probably help to see some of these things in person.

KAC Aug 7, 2020 11:13 PM

Hz over resolution any day of week.

Jay20016 Aug 8, 2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338212232)
I'll be stopping by the local Best Buy tomorrow to swap out a mouse. Going to try and check out some of the monitors while I'm there. Hopefully get a short sample of everything.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Not sure I'm any closer to making a decision yet, but it'll probably help to see some of these things in person.

If they have any of the HP Omen 27i take a look at them. After my Acer **** the bed wound up with it since stock has been abysmal for a lot of the "best" monitors since the pandemic started. 27" 1440p 165Hz IPS panel. Colors are fantastic, only complaint is the stand sticks out towards you so it forces you to sit closer, but not a huge issue if you have a larger desk top. Has RGB which was not something I wanted but has actually been fairly useful to light up the desk top and give some ambient light on the back wall vs. having another light on. Set the lights to a dull white and it's been good. The blue light filter has also been very nice when doing office work.

OverclockN' Aug 8, 2020 01:27 PM

Got to check some of these displays out finally!

So, here's what I've decided. I'll change my criteria in the first post.

The 27" monitors actually seem like a fairly decent size, so that will be the minimum. I didn't really get to see 2560x1440 in a desktop environment (they were just showing demo reels), but the size alone is "good enough". I do like the 32" size better, but I absolutely will NOT do 1440P at that size. If I go 32", it's gotta be 4k.

They didn't have any 38" Ultrawide, but they did have a 34". And man...awful, awful, AWFUL. I do NOT like it one single bit. Just too narrow and not tall enough. It's so skewed, I thought the 27" monitor next to it was a 24". Hard pass on that. However, I might entertain the idea of a 38" to get that extra height.

They had some curved monitors too. Just like the 34", this is a hard pass. Absolutely loathe the curved displays. It's an automatic no, can't do it. I realize the 38" will likely be curved only, and I'll have to deal with that if I go that route. But other than that, I will NOT buy a curved monitor.

So, I've basically narrowed it down to:

1. 27" 2560x1440
2. 32" 4k
3. 38" 3440x1600
4. No curved displays except for 38" UW

OverclockN' Aug 8, 2020 06:48 PM

Starting a list of monitors, so far these two definitely make the cut.

1. Asus TUF VG27AQ
2. LG 27GL850

logical Aug 8, 2020 08:10 PM

The LG is a great monitor my wife picked one up. Color reproduction is pretty good compared to our ips monitors.

KAC Aug 8, 2020 08:36 PM

I have been using Asus PG279Q for 2+ years. I still recommend it. Has Gsync, 165Hz, great colors once you tinker with it but is IPS not VA. I don’t mind it. There is a 32 inch 4K also in a similar range but it is only 60 Hz and why I never bought it.

Should be a cheap buy around 600 bucks.

OverclockN' Aug 8, 2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338212389)
I have been using Asus PG279Q for 2+ years. I still recommend it. Has Gsync, 165Hz, great colors once you tinker with it but is IPS not VA. I don’t mind it. There is a 32 inch 4K also in a similar range but it is only 60 Hz and why I never bought it.

Should be a cheap buy around 600 bucks.

I looked over the PG279QV (new version of yours) quite closely. After comparing reviews and specs for about an hour, I decided there was absolutely nothing there to warrant the additional cost. The TUF model also supports GSYNC, it's just one of the "GSYNC compatible" models. Which is good enough for me. The ROG model is full GSYNC with the onboard components.

I'm looking around at 32" 4k, but nothing really strikes me as something I want to jump on.

All the good 38" displays are going to be $1000+ more. So I think I'm going to eliminate them.

KAC Aug 8, 2020 08:47 PM

Nvidia used to charge 200 bucks for the Gsync module back then. :)
After using the Gsync compatible OLED, yes there isn’t the need for a module.

OverclockN' Aug 8, 2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338212395)
Nvidia used to charge 200 bucks for the Gsync module back then.

They still do. The model I quoted was the new version of the one you said you used. That's the new ROG that's more expensive. I compared that to the lower end TUF model (the one I have in my list), and the specs are virtually the same except for that GSYNC module vs compatibility stuff.

demo Aug 8, 2020 11:21 PM

I find it bizarre you discount the 34" UW due to height, only to get a 27" panel of identical height. They're both 1440p panels with the same pixel pitch, one just has an extra 33% real estate on the sides. For me personally, UW is better for both productivity and gaming.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com