Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hundreds of Dropbox passwords leaked online (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34014816)

badboy Oct 14, 2014 03:48 AM

Hundreds of Dropbox passwords leaked online

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/10/1...-alleged-hack/

Quote:

A thread surfaced on Reddit today that contained links to files containing hundreds of usernames and passwords for Dropbox accounts in plain text, but it’s unclear where they were obtained from.
Here we go again.... :bleh:

we really need a better system than usernamn and passwords....

Sundance Kid V2 Oct 14, 2014 04:05 AM

how the f are the passwords not encrypted?

People designing and implementing should be shot for not encrypting password...

daPhoenix Oct 14, 2014 04:07 AM

It's not necessarily leaked from DropBox but from password harvesters and other services where people use the same username / password.

nutcrackr Oct 14, 2014 04:21 AM

droopybox said it's passwords from other sites

best to never use the same passwords across sites

Shadowless Oct 14, 2014 07:59 AM

smh. Every day that passes the more and more I realize I should just make my own datacenter and host everything in house, since it seems to be the only way **** won't get hacked :bleh:

Razeus Oct 14, 2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337591165)
smh. Every day that passes the more and more I realize I should just make my own datacenter and host everything in house, since it seems to be the only way **** won't get hacked :bleh:

What's the best way to do this?

Shadowless Oct 14, 2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337591188)

There's software you can buy that allows you to setup a private cloud, I can't remember the name off the top of my head but it's a bit pricey because it's meant for enterprise class use.

sittal Oct 14, 2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razeus (Post 1337591188)

Get some space at a datacenter, borrow the old Rage3D hardware, install FTP client, bam!

badboy Oct 14, 2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337591190)
There's software you can buy that allows you to setup a private cloud, I can't remember the name off the top of my head but it's a bit pricey because it's meant for enterprise class use.

its not expensive.. I can have my own private cloud on my synology diskstation.

Munkus Oct 14, 2014 08:50 AM

I haven't used dropbox in a long time, so I logged in (had to reset password since I forgot it) and found someone else's pictures in my private folder. No idea who they are. :mad:

And no, sorry, no nude selfies. Just random family pics of people I've never met.

Dropbox account deleted.

Shadowless Oct 14, 2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337591198)
its not expensive.. I can have my own private cloud on my synology diskstation.

That means you have to own a Diskstation. And I've had issues getting FileStation to work on my mobile devices for some reason.

**G.I.BRO** Oct 14, 2014 09:19 AM

This is also why you dont use 3rd party services to such private info. Use the legit apps for said services and thats it.

IMO Every service will get hacked at some point, its just the way it is; Practice safe procedures, enabled 2 tier authentication (pain in the ass at times i know) and change your pw often.

I would love to use my own cloud service, but;

1. Ive been bitten in the ass a few times where i needed something but couldnt access my home for various reasons.
2. Your home is probably easier to hack than profesh services. Granted you are less likely to get hit because you are off of peoples radars, but youll be surprised on how many people are scanning for holes.

Unfortunately there is no perfect solution, other than not using cloud at all, so choose what you think protects you the most and use safe practices.

Also, if youre going to post nudes be smart and dont put your face in the same pic. Just sayn :bleh:

Shadowless Oct 14, 2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by **G.I.BRO** (Post 1337591220)
This is also why you dont use 3rd party services to such private info. Use the legit apps for said services and thats it.

IMO Every service will get hacked at some point, its just the way it is; Practice safe procedures, enabled 2 tier authentication (pain in the ass at times i know) and change your pw often.

I would love to use my own cloud service, but;

1. Ive been bitten in the ass a few times where i needed something but couldnt access my home for various reasons.
2. Your home is probably easier to hack than profesh services. Granted you are less likely to get hit because you are off of peoples radars, but youll be surprised on how many people are scanning for holes.

Unfortunately there is no perfect solution, other than not using cloud at all, so choose what you think protects you the most and use safe practices.

Also, if youre going to post nudes be smart and dont put your face in the same pic. Just sayn :bleh:

That's why I use enterprise grade everything.

Hyrax Oct 14, 2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337591224)

**G.I.BRO** Oct 14, 2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowless (Post 1337591224)

True but there are still unforeseen issues that one cannot control, like neighbours cutting your isp line then needing to wait 24hr for the repair to come out. Power and isp outages for 5+ hrs...etc Sounds odd and highly unlikely, but thats happened to me (plus other issues this yr alone when needing something highly important) so i find that relying on professional cloud services (MS, Google, dropbox, box) are more reliable for me. Knowing that any company is at risk, i keep different things on different services to try to limit the damage if ive been compromised.

Cant stress enough about 2 step auth tho, i also dig how some services tell you what devices (mobile and pc) have accessed your account so you can see if anything funky is going on. Its part of my routine to check that history.

Lupine Oct 14, 2014 11:36 PM

Hundreds? LOL. :(

Changed my dropbox pwds, and enabled 2 step. Not sure why I hadn't done that w/ dropbox yet, and am systematically going through all my accounts to enable 2 factor on everything possible.

Silent-Runner Oct 15, 2014 03:54 AM

maybe we should just rename the "internet" to "leaknet"......:rolleyes:

Sundance Kid V2 Oct 16, 2014 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent-Runner (Post 1337591754)
maybe we should just rename the "internet" to "leaknet"......:rolleyes:

or just remove all passwords :bleh: free for all :runaway:

KAC Oct 16, 2014 03:46 AM

Any nudies of celebs found. :bleh:

RFtinkerer Oct 16, 2014 02:52 PM

Uh-oh, somebody must have found my nudes! *blush* I bet they're all over the internet, now, right?

Wait, no? ...man, I had some ART in there.