Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Operating Systems (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Installing Win11 now... (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34052840)

Munkus Oct 18, 2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupine (Post 1338310592)
He might find installing Win11 there challenging as well!

Nah. Parallels 17 + Win 11 ARM64 works great. As usual, it sucks for gamers, but I use this configuration for work and it's pretty snappy.

Lupine Oct 18, 2021 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338310606)
it's MS it will fix AMD and break NV and Intel :lol:

*insert obligatory wack-a-mole gif here*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338310610)
Nah. Parallels 17 + Win 11 ARM64 works great. As usual, it sucks for gamers, but I use this configuration for work and it's pretty snappy.

Nice. Hadn't followed M1 support.

KAC Oct 19, 2021 12:45 AM

Thinking about reverting my Intel back as well.
This is not ready for prime time.

Nunz Oct 19, 2021 02:18 AM

Just because some noobs have issues (besides L3 Ryzen issue) means it's not ready for primetime, huh..

andino Oct 19, 2021 02:36 AM

I've had zero problems with it so far. Aside from finding where the MS team moved things that is.

It's not that bad of a build. Beats the heck out of Windows ME...

:D

KAC Oct 19, 2021 07:20 AM

I actually feel that games are a bit slower on my 10700/3070 combo. I am also getting occasional hitching in Kena and COD CW something that wasn’t happening with windows 10. So it’s not about the noobs, it is about the use cases. For me personally and the games I am playing things are slightly worse off than they were before.

acroig Oct 19, 2021 08:53 AM

https://www.techadvisor.com/news/win...s-fix-3809522/

badsykes Oct 19, 2021 10:48 PM

Imo to release an oficial build with such a huge bug for Ryzen Cpu's is a disastrous launch.This on top of the banning the 2017 and befoire cpu's.

demo Oct 20, 2021 09:35 PM

Nothing disastrous about it. Intel worked with MS to optimise the scheduler before launch.

Elysian Oct 21, 2021 12:43 PM

I rolled back to Windows 10 last night. My new PC was really struggling after a few hours of 3d CAD work in Rhino, and when I went to see what was taking up all the resources Task Manager would literally crash when I tried to sort by CPU %... Rebooted the machine and rolled it back right then and there.

Had lots of issues with design changes they made to it, but could work around most of it. Just feels like it's very half-baked at this point, no idea why they put it out in this state.

Meteor_of_War Oct 21, 2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338311107)
no idea why they put it out in this state.

Because they want you guys to test it for them free of charge.

Elysian Oct 21, 2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338311110)
Because they want you guys to test it for them free of charge.

Yeah pretty much.


Oh and I tried it on Parallels Desktop on my 2020 Macbook Pro, Windows 10 runs fantastically on there, 11 is trash. So slow, barely useable. Rolled that back pretty quickly.

pax Oct 21, 2021 01:18 PM

They dont make as much money off windows anymore, MS like so many others are more about data mining now, so like windows mail there are bugs a plenty.

dodger Oct 21, 2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian (Post 1338311113)
Yeah pretty much.


Oh and I tried it on Parallels Desktop on my 2020 Macbook Pro, Windows 10 runs fantastically on there, 11 is trash. So slow, barely useable. Rolled that back pretty quickly.

That's Intel Win11 right? Just making sure the difference in experience with Munkus.

Munkus Oct 21, 2021 02:25 PM

I'm using Win 11 ARM64 under Parallels 17.1 and it's just as snappy as Win 10 was. No speed issues at all (other than the fact that it's in a VM). I'm assigning 4 CPU cores and 8Gb RAM to the VM if that makes a difference.

Nunz Oct 21, 2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338311110)
Because they want you guys to test it for them free of charge.

I mean they don't make much $$ off it, and I don't remember the last time I paid for a Windows key. It's been free upgrades.

Win11 still working phenomenal for my rig with no issues.

Meteor_of_War Oct 21, 2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338311130)
I mean they don't make much $$ off it, and I don't remember the last time I paid for a Windows key. It's been free upgrades.

Win11 still working phenomenal for my rig with no issues.

I'm sure its running fine for you and a lot of people. But others are also reporting issues.

Its the same old story, the people having issues slam it while the ones that don't praise it. Everyone has a bias.

Munkus Oct 21, 2021 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338311135)
I'm sure its running fine for you and a lot of people. But others are also reporting issues.

Its the same old story, the people having issues slam it while the ones that don't praise it. Everyone has a bias.

If I was having major issues, I'd be pissed off and slam Microsoft as well. Luckily everything is fine. Honestly, though, if it wasn't a free upgrade I wouldn't bother. None of the changes that I see on a daily basis are worth upgrading for, IMO.

Elysian Oct 21, 2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodger (Post 1338311124)
That's Intel Win11 right? Just making sure the difference in experience with Munkus.

Yeah, my MBP is an i7 (forget the specific model but 8th gen), as is my new PC (11730).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338311130)
I mean they don't make much $$ off it, and I don't remember the last time I paid for a Windows key. It's been free upgrades.

Win11 still working phenomenal for my rig with no issues.

I wish that was the case here, I need PCs I do work on to work properly. If my desktop were gaming only I might consider keeping it through the teething problems, but I can't do that. Same with on Parallels Desktop on my MBP, I only use that for working in 3D CAD/CAM, so it needs to work well, which Windows 11 didn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338311125)
I'm using Win 11 ARM64 under Parallels 17.1 and it's just as snappy as Win 10 was. No speed issues at all (other than the fact that it's in a VM). I'm assigning 4 CPU cores and 8Gb RAM to the VM if that makes a difference.

ARM Windows is a different beast from x86. My 2020 MBP is a pretty high spec machine but performance on 11 was unacceptably slow, much slower than 10.

Nunz Oct 21, 2021 10:19 PM

For a machine looking for reliability, I'd probably keep it on Win10 for a while longer anyway. I love Win11 thus far and think it's a performance increase as well as an upgrade in functionality, but for a CAD machine, I wouldn't bother updating as long as Win10 is working properly for the use purpose.

Nascar24 Oct 22, 2021 07:39 AM

Not having any performance issues with 11 but there are definitely bugs for me, fresh install, Taskbar will lock and not load all the icons at times.

KAC Oct 22, 2021 09:20 AM

Damn, I can’t revert on my Intel setup anymore.

Munkus Oct 22, 2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338311238)
Damn, I canít revert on my Intel setup anymore.

Just restore the full backup you made right before you upgraded. :sherlock:

KAC Oct 22, 2021 09:44 AM

Who said I made a full backup? :bleh:

Munkus Oct 22, 2021 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338311246)
Who said I made a full backup? :bleh:

:lol:

KAC Oct 22, 2021 11:54 AM

:cry:

acroig Oct 22, 2021 02:15 PM

I can't seem to get 5.1 surround working with Win 11. The rears just don't work.

Duh! I had the rears plugged incorrectly on the mobo. DERP!

Lazy8s Oct 22, 2021 02:20 PM

The official nag icon (Windows 11 is ready!) has appeared in my taskbar.

Now I canít upgrade. Out of principle.


Maybe I should backup win 10 firstÖ.:bleh:

Meteor_of_War Oct 22, 2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338311286)
The official nag icon (Windows 11 is ready!) has appeared in my taskbar.

Now I canít upgrade. Out of principle.


Maybe I should backup win 10 firstÖ.:bleh:

You have me worried MS is going to start upgrading Win 10 machines without consent. I think they did that with Win 8 on Win 7 machines back in the day.

I swear if I wake up one of these mornings with Windows 11 I'll be pissed.

Nascar24 Oct 22, 2021 02:27 PM

Enjoy Enjoy!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com