Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   -Post pics of your computer- (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33744307)

shadow001 Mar 2, 2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337454526)
That doesn't change anything that was said about the board. Look at some high end 2011 boards like the R4E or MSi Xpower for example, sure they don't hold dual CPU's but specs are through the roof compared to that Gigabyte board.

That extra is to overclock the CPU and memory for those, something that I don't need to worry about....

Quote:

More power can be drawn through the pcie slots when overvolting and oc'ing too. There's a good chance you'd melt the 24 pin on that board with 4 x oc'd 290's.

Your ASUS is better, forget about the Gigabyte board - its too workstation for the type of monster build you want imo.

So 3/4 of all the power fed to each card comes directly from the power supply PCI-e power connectors, and I should be worried about the 24 pin ATX motherboard should I, especially when with either board, there's an additional 8 pin power connector for each CPU.

Seriously?....:rolleyes:

demo Mar 2, 2014 11:36 AM

The 8-pin for CPU has nothing to do with the pcie slots. Yes, plenty of cases of lower end boards dying from 3-way and 4-way by melting the 24 pin. The board is a pos, your ASUS is better.

shadow001 Mar 2, 2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337454564)
The 8-pin for CPU has nothing to do with the pcie slots. Yes, plenty of cases of lower end boards dying from 3-way and 4-way by melting the 24 pin. The board is a pos, your ASUS is better.

This is a board released only 4 months ago and costing over 700$....Lower end isn't that price and you knowing it's a POS when it's that recent, doesn't compute.

demo Mar 2, 2014 11:55 AM

It costs that much because it houses 2 CPU's.

shadow001 Mar 2, 2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337454576)
It costs that much because it houses 2 CPU's.

Costs more than my Asus board did, which I admit doesn't have a built in SAS controller and is a model that's nearly 2 years old now, but the point remains, the Gigabyte doesn't seem cheap at all, heck it even has a 3rd gigabit network controller onboard, the Asus one only has 2.....:bleh:

Seriously, just stop....You know a ton about a lot of stuff for single socket boards and video cards and displays, but workstation boards with multiple CPU's and all their features, not your strong point....;)

Deaderinred Mar 2, 2014 02:48 PM

i am more likely to believe demo here due to his post count and large set of balls.

shadow001 Mar 2, 2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deaderinred (Post 1337454626)
i am more likely to believe demo here due to his post count and large set of balls.

Go for it, but I've been building dual socket motherboards since the Pentium 3 days when they were inserted into vertical slots using the 440BX chipset and running at just 500Mhz, and in the past 15 years since then, and having built all those dual systems since then for both myself and others, I still don't have it all figured out anyways...:lol:

Nunz Mar 2, 2014 05:42 PM

The Gigabyte board pales in quality to the ASUS. Price has very little to do with it, and only a hardware noob would bring that up in an argument.

Regardless, you got the better board. What are we arguing again?

More pics of the setup. Do you have it running yet?

Deaderinred Mar 2, 2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1337454689)
Go for it, but I've been building dual socket motherboards since the Pentium 3 days when they were inserted into vertical slots using the 440BX chipset and running at just 500Mhz, and in the past 15 years since then, and having built all those dual systems since then for both myself and others, I still don't have it all figured out anyways...:lol:

that's okay, i don't even know what thread im in.

Redeemed Mar 2, 2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deaderinred (Post 1337454708)

I don't even know what website I'm at, let alone whose house I'm in.

Think I just heard a shotgun being loaded...

shadow001 Mar 2, 2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1337454707)
The Gigabyte board pales in quality to the ASUS. Price has very little to do with it, and only a hardware noob would bring that up in an argument.

Regardless, you got the better board. What are we arguing again?

More pics of the setup. Do you have it running yet?

It is a much older board, and has a crappier marvel raid controller and one less network controller compared to the Gigabyte board, which also comes with a BIOS recognizing the V2 edition of Xeon's( they use ivy bridge cores)...,

Anyhow you're right pictures incoming..... Right side first.

Left side now....

Just finished bleeding it and putting on a massive amount of tie raps, created the raid arrays as well, so it's on to the software install process, which no doubt will be a pain in the balls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deaderinred (Post 1337454708)

:up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 1337454729)
I don't even know what website I'm at, let alone whose house I'm in.

Think I just heard a shotgun being loaded...

:eek: ;) :p

Roadhog Mar 2, 2014 06:51 PM

Defiantly a unique build, but couldn't you have chosen a chase where it doesn't look like you tried to cram 10 lbs of **** into a 5 lb bag?

shadow001 Mar 2, 2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1337454742)
Defiantly a unique build, but couldn't you have chosen a chase where it doesn't look like you tried to cram 10 lbs of **** into a 5 lb bag?

Indeed...Pretty much every ounce of space is being used up, with no more room for 5 1/4 drives, or 3 1/2 drives for HDD or SSD's( all 10 bays are used up), packed 2 power supplies and 5 radiators too...

Only thing bigger and in the same style is a mountain mods extended ascension, and even then it adds only more vertical room with 2 extra 5 1/4 bays and more room for radiators....Depth and wide is the same as this one.

Roadhog Mar 2, 2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1337454749)
Indeed...Pretty much every ounce of space is being used up, with no more room for 5 1/4 drives, or 3 1/2 drives for HDD or SSD's( all 10 bays are used up), packed 2 power supplies and 5 radiators too...

Only thing bigger and in the same style is a mountain mods extended ascension, and even then it adds only more vertical room with 2 extra 5 1/4 bays and more room for radiators....Depth and wide is the same as this one.

That's true, the dual psu requirement takes 99% of the cases out of the game. Come on though, you've spent $$$$ on this, get a huge case. :D

demo Mar 2, 2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1337454580)
Seriously, just stop....You know a ton about a lot of stuff for single socket boards and video cards and displays, but workstation boards with multiple CPU's and all their features, not your strong point....;)

Fine suit yourself, but I'm looking at the specs and the ASUS is better than the Gigabyte board, despite the Gigabyte having some extra functionality.

shadow001 Mar 2, 2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1337454765)
That's true, the dual psu requirement takes 99% of the cases out of the game. Come on though, you've spent $$$$ on this, get a huge case. :D

This is the only one at about 800$ the way I want it finished...

Roadhog Mar 2, 2014 07:58 PM

Do it, $800 is nothing compared to what you have into that.

shadow001 Mar 2, 2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337454785)
Fine suit yourself, but I'm looking at the specs and the ASUS is better than the Gigabyte board, despite the Gigabyte having some extra functionality. You don't understand the difference between high end and functionality.

It includes an 8 port SAS controller that sells on 250 to 300$ in stand alone raid cards, while Asus still screws around with a marvel 4 port raid controller that's over 2 years old...

I don't know where your argument between functionality and high end comes from when something as high end as that is built into a motherboard....:hmm:

Roadhog Mar 2, 2014 08:03 PM

I wouldn't touch a marvel raid controller with a 10ft stick.

shadow001 Mar 2, 2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1337454789)
Do it, $800 is nothing compared to what you have into that.

Would be as tall as my desk...:lol:

shadow001 Mar 2, 2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1337454798)
I wouldn't touch a marvel raid controller with a 10ft stick.

Same here, Asus or no Asus.

demo Mar 2, 2014 08:07 PM

That's fair enough, I'm not a fan of Marvel controllers either, however the board itself is better.

shadow001 Mar 2, 2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337454804)
That's fair enough, I'm not a fan of Marvel controllers either, however the board itself is better.

So I plug in 4 SSD's on that SAS controller, get better performance there from the motherboard right off the bat, and somehow the Asus is better with it's marvel controller under the same scenario?.....

Seriously?

demo Mar 2, 2014 08:16 PM

I'm not going to argue with you. I would also prefer the controller on the Gigabyte board, however your ASUS is more robust and a better quality board.

Enjoy your build.

Ristogod Mar 2, 2014 09:00 PM

Yep, Asus > All

demo Mar 2, 2014 10:14 PM

I wouldn't go that far.. I was referring to these 2 boards in particular.

AdamK47 Mar 3, 2014 08:19 AM

I'll never use a Marvell controller for RAID again. I love the LSI RAID controller on my ASRock X79 Extreme11. I get eight PCI-E 3.0 lanes from the CPU completely dedicated to the controller while the other 32 are split for the two PLX chips. Allows for up to 4GB/sec from my 8 drive array. I hope ASRock comes up with something great for Haswell-E.

BababooeyHTJ Mar 3, 2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1337454847)
Yep, Asus > All

Except for with customer service

Ristogod Mar 3, 2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337454911)
I wouldn't go that far.. I was referring to these 2 boards in particular.

I was being facetious. As a generality, I would say it's most often true. But every specific situation should be evaluated individually.

I was running an MSI board lately thinking it was the best board ever. That was until extended running of 3 cards in it made it go wonky. I RMA'ed the board, and to avoid downtime, replaced it with an Asus Maximus VI Formula. $70 more for the Asus than the MPower Max. But the Asus is far better a board. It's biggest advantage is the additional power plug for the PCI-E slots, which the lackthereof on the MSI may have led to the demise of it methinks. Anyway, having been away for Asus for the longest time since I started building PCs, I happy to be back.

Got the MPower Max back from RMA and am currently selling it for what I can get. Appears to be a new board from MSI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ (Post 1337455341)

Yeah, I've heard that. Never had to deal with them personally. I'm sure that would sour my taste of them if I had to I would imagine.

bill dennison Mar 3, 2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ (Post 1337455341)

I can't say anything good or bad about current asus customer service as with 4 gpu's now and the last 8 MB I just have not needed it

the last thing I did a RMA with them was x850xt platinum edition for running hot and they sent me one first and shipped back in same box

I got a asus commando MB that has been going since release near 7 years in 4 systems