Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Intel 11x00 Gen thread (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34052106)

demo Jan 17, 2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338261719)
Buy a 3090! This isn’t going to get you anything over the 5900x:nuts:

I don't see the point either. He already has pcie 4.0 and 12 fast cores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338261723)

Not sure what you want out of your audio, but I would have thought the onboard solution on that mobo would be very good for headphones.

ROG SupremeFX7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC S1220
- ESS™ ES9023 DAC + RC4580 OP AMP

As for OC, you should be able to hit boost frequency for all cores no problem - 5.2 to 5.3.

SuperGeil Jan 17, 2021 06:33 PM

He said he had a AE5 in another thread. It would be a good half if not whole step down as he would be losing 32bit playback and dropping from 122 db snr to 112. Not the end of the world and probably won't hear a difference, but so is the new life with buying moster size video cards.

Consider selling your sound card and getting a USB DAC/Amp. The one in my sig, is good half step above your AE5.

Nunz Jan 17, 2021 07:00 PM

Not giving up the sound-card. It is absolutely pathetic that I can't run a single NVME drive, one GPU, and a sound card on a $700 mobo. AMD and Intel should both be thrown off a ****ing cliff for skimping the PCIE lanes every single year. It's ridiculous.

They ****ed up the design with the PCIEx4 slot being too close to the GPU. I'm going to have to make it fit.

I also ran the Valhalla benchmark while I was testing the GPU at x8. Yes, it's slower, and also got a horrid coil whine out of either the GPU or the motherboard itself.

I'm quite certain I'll be packing this all up tomorrow and returning it. Going to try it one more time with the GPU at 16x and the sound-card jammed in the PCIeX4 slot, but I'm not super hopeful.

SP63 chips will not hit 5.2-5.3 all-core without extreme voltage. I'll likely get 5, maybe 5.1.

I think I'm going to tell my buddy he'll have to wait for the 9900K until something better comes out than what's available.

demo Jan 17, 2021 07:03 PM

Think of it this way, you got an upper tier 10850k :bleh:

Bummer dude

Nunz Jan 17, 2021 07:23 PM

Honestly I haven't even tried anything with the chip yet because the ****ing PCIE lanes are pissing me off so badly.

There has to be something wrong with this board. Under GPU load I just get this crazy loud coil whine that I never had with the 9900K and the DARK

SuperGeil Jan 17, 2021 08:05 PM

You are going to damage your sound card jamming it next to an oven for long periods of time. I'm baffled what impulses you to buy a $700 motherboard for such an unperceivable difference in performance with a socket near EOL with Rocket Lake nonetheless.

They seem to make better planned boards for AMD
https://smile.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-B5...90&sr=1-2&th=1

demo Jan 17, 2021 08:46 PM

Yeh, you better get a 5900x..

Nunz Jan 17, 2021 09:16 PM

I had no intention of keeping the sound-card in that position. Microcenter doesn't have any Zen3 chips, and quite frankly I'm not that interested in them anyway. AM4 is EOL as well, so not really any better.

It's not really costing me any money to upgrade so the cost is meaningless. The Extreme pushed me over budget slightly, would have cost me $100 out of pocket. The only reason I'm doing this is because my buddy is buying my 9900K+DARK and miscellaneous parts I have laying around. I'm doing him a favor more than anything.

I had the 10900K @ 5.2Ghz all-core quick and dirty with some high-ish voltage and it seemed to be fine. I was a little surprised; maybe that SP63 isn't as bad as it sounds.

Board and chip are boxed and packed up for return tomorrow. I'll look at what boards they have again, but I didn't really like any. I don't want anything from MSI, and Gigabyte is...meh. They have some EVGA FTW but I wasn't particularly interested

KAC Jan 17, 2021 09:25 PM

Why do you need such a high end board? You can achieve 5.2 Gs with an Asus TUF as well.

Nunz Jan 17, 2021 09:53 PM

I am particular with my motherboards. They last me a very long time. I don't like the power delivery on the TUF and it won't handle my memory overclock.

I'm going to see what they have at microcenter. I may just order a Z490 DARK since I know I can rely on EVGA.

demo Jan 17, 2021 11:26 PM

Although it's not a bad option I wasn't serious about 5900x for you. Just responding to 'They seem to make better planned boards for AMD'..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338261753)
I don't want anything from MSI, and Gigabyte is...meh.

That's interesting, the MSI Unify or Aorus Master would be my Z490 picks. Both have gen4 support and great power delivery with 90A power phases, but the Unify is priced very well where as the Master is a little over priced. I'm off ASUS for the moment, wasn't particularly impressed with previous gen. Personally would stick with the big three (ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte) but it's your call.

FYI, Z490 Dark reviewed and benchmarked, and FWIW I don't think it supports gen4.

https://www.hardwareasylum.com/revie...ark/page9.aspx

As for your 10900k, I'm not surprised. It should oc to boost frequencies across all cores no problem. Despite being the same architecture, Comet lake process is a little more refined and generally clocks better than previous gen.

Nagorak Jan 18, 2021 12:28 AM

I think you guys really overspend on motherboards...

KAC Jan 18, 2021 12:35 AM

I agree. The power delivery, VRMs (unless it is MSI gaming edge X570 boards where VRMs were hitting 90 C + lol) and memory overclocks are seriously overrated. You are really not losing a lot of performance by saving at least 500 bucks between motherboard and overpriced memory. A good $200 board does all you need for most processors. This is speaking from my personal experience of always purchasing 200-300$ boards :D.

It works maybe for productivity apps but for gaming it is really worthless.

badsykes Jan 18, 2021 01:20 AM

demo Jan 18, 2021 02:18 AM

KAC Jan 18, 2021 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338261706)
Nice one nunz, that's a killer board.

KAC - Why are you so keen to ditch the 5900x?

Looking forward to this upgrade - should result in CPU, GPU, and storage performance gains. Will gain a nice chunk of IPC which is what I need the most plus pcie 4.0 support for GPU and a 1TB 980 pro I have sitting here. Resizable Bar should be ready in Nv drivers by then too so that's another small bump at the same time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338261719)
Buy a 3090! This isnít going to get you anything over the 5900x:nuts:

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338261722)
How many times have we told him this??

No, the 3090 FE is too loud... :bleh:

I may end up cost neutral by switching over to Intel. If that will be possible I will go Intel because of:

- hopefully lower operating temperatures
- hopefully better gaming performance
- hopefully more fun tweaking
- and enjoyment of building a system

:). All of this depends on if I can remain cost neutral and that 11900K delivers better gaming performance.

Nunz Jan 18, 2021 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338261761)
Although it's not a bad option I wasn't serious about 5900x for you. Just responding to 'They seem to make better planned boards for AMD'..

That's interesting, the MSI Unify or Aorus Master would be my Z490 picks. Both have gen4 support and great power delivery with 90A power phases, but the Unify is priced very well where as the Master is a little over priced. I'm off ASUS for the moment, wasn't particularly impressed with previous gen. Personally would stick with the big three (ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte) but it's your call.

FYI, Z490 Dark reviewed and benchmarked, and FWIW I don't think it supports gen4.

https://www.hardwareasylum.com/revie...ark/page9.aspx

As for your 10900k, I'm not surprised. It should oc to boost frequencies across all cores no problem. Despite being the same architecture, Comet lake process is a little more refined and generally clocks better than previous gen.

The Unify and Ace both look solid, but I'll have to swallow the fact that I'm supporting a ****-tier business with terrible practices. I might have to suck it up if that's what they have at Microcenter tomorrow.

The Master isn't bad, but I had a bad experience with Gigabyte not updating the BIOS on a $600 flagship board a few years ago that resulted in the board not recognizing 2 TITAN X in SLI. They admitted it was an issue with the board requiring a BIOS update, and they told me to just buy the new chipset. I about lost my ****ing mind on the rep I was talking to. After escalating to someone else, they said the same and that Gigabyte had no intention of correcting the issue.

I was mind-blown.

Besides that; if you guys like $200 motherboards, be my guest :lol: I tend to hand-down my old hardware and the better built boards have always lasted me super long. That Gigabyte board with my 3770K is still chugging along.

The better boards also tend to handle memory OC better. I've read that the Unify can be a little picky on 16x2 sticks, which I run. I'm not sure about the Gigabyte but that is some research that must be done today.

badsykes Jan 18, 2021 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338261795)
The Unify and Ace both look solid, but I'll have to swallow the fact that I'm supporting a ****-tier business with terrible practices. I might have to suck it up if that's what they have at Microcenter tomorrow.

The Master isn't bad, but I had a bad experience with Gigabyte not updating the BIOS on a $600 flagship board a few years ago that resulted in the board not recognizing 2 TITAN X in SLI. They admitted it was an issue with the board requiring a BIOS update, and they told me to just buy the new chipset. I about lost my ****ing mind on the rep I was talking to. After escalating to someone else, they said the same and that Gigabyte had no intention of correcting the issue.

I was mind-blown.

Besides that; if you guys like $200 motherboards, be my guest :lol: I tend to hand-down my old hardware and the better built boards have always lasted me super long. That Gigabyte board with my 3770K is still chugging along.

The better boards also tend to handle memory OC better. I've read that the Unify can be a little picky on 16x2 sticks, which I run. I'm not sure about the Gigabyte but that is some research that must be done today.

I have an oced ryzem 1700 to 3.7 ghz all cores on an Asus b350 prime plus from 2017.For 3.9 ghz it requires 1.4volts and i need a beefer board.Extreme OC is not my purpose.
If you buy top of the line cpu's at every generation and also OC you need a beefy board but 600$ it feels like showing off more than anything else.

Nunz Jan 18, 2021 05:50 AM

Can't lie, I've never spent that kind of money on a board before. The only reason I walked out with that stupid Maximus Extreme is because it's all they had, and look how that turned out :lol:

I'm likely going to order an MSI MEG ACE. I can have it here tomorrow free Prime shipping.

KAC Jan 18, 2021 05:53 AM

What is the rationale for opting for a Z490 board instead of Z590? Or did I miss that you are going for a Z590 board (didn’t know they were available).

demo Jan 18, 2021 05:57 AM

Yeh actually I agree, at this point I'd be looking at Z590. They all seem a little more robust than Z490 boards tier for tier.

Nunz Jan 18, 2021 07:28 AM

Because my rig is in pieces right now and I'd like to have a PC back by tomorrow the latest :lol:

There's no real feature sets I'm missing, that I'm aware of at least, by going with a Z490, except spending even more money. PCIE4.0 doesn't matter much as I have zero intention of buying an 8core chip and downgrading from a 10core.

I have the option to tell my buddy he'll have to wait, and put my 9900K and EVGA DARK back in, but I already have everything out and torn apart. I might as well just get a Z490 board so I can get him off his peasant 6700K :lol:

This went from an easy 1-2-3 to a **** show because someone bought the board I was there for 5 minutes before I got there. Oof!

The more I look at the MSI MEG ACE, the more I like it. Fits the bill, and it's apparently a monster for memory OC. My Z390 Dark does not like 16GB dual rank sticks, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to get 4000Mhz running on this board.

KAC Jan 18, 2021 08:08 AM

Tell friend to wait.
Profit.

SuperGeil Jan 18, 2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338261761)

:lol: AM4 is going to have Zen 3+ refreshes later this year and it will be end of life with a 6nm 16 core. Not a 8 core. That is what baffles me about buying a complete new motherboard and going up a marginal step in CPU, I don't get the point.

I'm curious what he is selling his motherboard and 9900K for to make this |not so bad|. :sherlock:

Nunz Jan 18, 2021 11:26 AM

Returned the Maximus Extreme, kept the 10900K. Ordered an MSI Z490 MEG ACE and it will be here tomorrow free shipping. Thanks Amazon Prime. I was on the fence about returning everything and throwing my 9900K back in, but meh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperGeil (Post 1338261824)
:lol: AM4 is going to have Zen 3+ refreshes later this year and it will be end of life with a 6nm 16 core. Not a 8 core. That is what baffles me about buying a complete new motherboard and going up a marginal step in CPU, I don't get the point.

I'm curious what he is selling his motherboard and 9900K for to make this |not so bad|. :sherlock:

There is zero evidence of another Ryzen refresh on AM4. Especially about 6nm.. huh? Link info please, and I swear to God if it's wccftech or some shitty website.. :lol: Everything I've read and heard is that the Zen3+ "Warhol" chip is 2022 with DDR5/AM5 platform.

I'm selling more than just my board and chip. I have a ton of spare parts rotting in my basement that I'm selling to a buddy so he can put together a rig for his wife, and he's passing down my old 6700K+ASUS board to his wife; upgrading his rig to the 9900K. What I'm selling it for is really none of your concern, but now that I'm not buying a stupid $700 motherboard, I'm back in the green. I really wasn't happy about paying that much, nor do I need 90% of the features, but I was there, it was all they had, so in the moment I said **** it. I can afford it and this is really the only hobby I spend any money on since I've trimmed down a ton since I'm saving for a house. I'm bored with my current setup and I have this whole week off .. it'll be fun. :)

I really don't need to justify my purchases. I want it, so I bought it. I bust my ass day in and day out, so if I wanna make an incremental upgrade, **** it!

If the Zen3+ refresh on this "6nm" process is so good, I'll buy that too. I'm not worried about it.

acroig Jan 18, 2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338261843)
Returned the Maximus Extreme, kept the 10900K. Ordered an MSI Z490 MEG ACE and it will be here tomorrow free shipping. Thanks Amazon Prime. I was on the fence about returning everything and throwing my 9900K back in, but meh.

So when you returned the mobo did they take out the CPU discount?

Nunz Jan 18, 2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338261845)
So when you returned the mobo did they take out the CPU discount?

You just made me check! Nope lol. I got the exact amount refunded for the board. I guess the cashier didn't notice, or I found a loophole :bleh:

KAC Jan 18, 2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338261847)
You just made me check! Nope lol. I got the exact amount refunded for the board. I guess the cashier didn't notice, or I found a loophole :bleh:

Did you whatsapp him butt pics?

Nunz Jan 18, 2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338261848)
Did you whatsapp him butt pics?

Real men do it on Facebook messenger

KAC Jan 18, 2021 11:42 AM

:lol: