Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   -Post pics of your computer- (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33744307)

OverclockN' Feb 20, 2012 05:43 PM

What a badass rig, shadow001. Can't wait to see more of it. :drool:

You seem like a stand up guy too, you have a great attitude.

fasedw Feb 20, 2012 06:01 PM

Lots of money there', Sure looks killer.:D

shadow001 Feb 20, 2012 09:21 PM

One last picture with the wiring more tidy and black paint touches where needed and showing more of the plumbing, but still more work ahead:

Meteor_of_War Feb 20, 2012 09:55 PM

I think that's the most beastly rig I've ever seen.

Xion X2 Feb 20, 2012 11:38 PM

Still getting it together, but she's almost done.

shadow001 Feb 20, 2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR (Post 1336847866)
I think that's the most beastly rig I've ever seen.

Depending on how you view it, the main issue is that it builds up a fair amount of dust on the radiators and inside the case in a matter of a few months, so regular cleaning is required, but on the other hand, i know that a lot of air is moving thru the case in order to deposit that much dust in the first place, so it's actually working as intended.....:lol: :p

Meteor_of_War Feb 21, 2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336847918)
Depending on how you view it, the main issue is that it builds up a fair amount of dust on the radiators and inside the case in a matter of a few months, so regular cleaning is required, but on the other hand, i know that a lot of air is moving thru the case in order to deposit that much dust in the first place, so it's actually working as intended.....:lol: :p

Is it possible to install intake fan filters? Since I started using a new chassis with filters I get way less dust build up inside as compared to my old one without filters. If not then I guess you can look at it as grizzly hair for your beast.:evil:

Greasy Feb 21, 2012 08:47 AM

Great work Shadow and Xion. I love seeing h2o builds come to life.

Xion, did you fab a custom mount for that rad or is that something that came with the case?

Xion X2 Feb 21, 2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy (Post 1336848121)

Xion, did you fab a custom mount for that rad or is that something that came with the case?

Thanks, Greasy.

I bought the mounting brackets from frozencpu. They're made by bitspower. XSPC has some, too. They attach through the fan mounting holes on the radiator and hold it nice and sturdy.

Greasy Feb 21, 2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2 (Post 1336848409)
Thanks, Greasy.

I bought the mounting brackets from frozencpu. They're made by bitspower. XSPC has some, too. They attach through the fan mounting holes on the radiator and hold it nice and sturdy.

Thanks! I might have to try that out in a new build one day. :)

demo Feb 21, 2012 02:09 PM

Very clean and nice looking build Xion, not sure about the conduits though :p

shadow001 Feb 21, 2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR (Post 1336848074)
Is it possible to install intake fan filters? Since I started using a new chassis with filters I get way less dust build up inside as compared to my old one without filters. If not then I guess you can look at it as grizzly hair for your beast.:evil:

I put it on the outside the house and break out the small electrical air compressor and clean it pretty quickly in a matter of a few minutes....Comes in handy that the case has wheels, as the frigging thing fully loaded like this and water cooled weighs over 100 Lbs, so there's no way in hell i'll ever take it to a lan party....:lol:

shadow001 Feb 21, 2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy (Post 1336848121)

Thx Greasy.:)

shadow001 Feb 21, 2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1336848490)

That's actually plastic tubing used in electrical wiring harnesses on cars...I've seen it used in that application....There could be more uses, i just haven't seen it used anywhere else.

Xion X2 Feb 21, 2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1336848490)

Thanks. Oh, the plastic sleeving? Yeah, I hate sleeving cables. This stuff is effective although not as neat. It's a lot easier, for sure.

Xion X2 Feb 21, 2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336848497)
That's actually plastic tubing used in electrical wiring harnesses on cars...I've seen it used in that application....There could be more uses, i just haven't seen it used anywhere else.

Yep! :)

It's not MDPC sleeving or anything, but you can "sleeve" cables in about 1/1000th the time with it, so occasionally I'll use it. And it was black so seemed to blend in with the build more than a few I've done in the past.

shadow001 Feb 21, 2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2 (Post 1336848500)
Yep! :)

It's not MDPC sleeving or anything, but you can "sleeve" cables in about 1/1000th the time with it, so occasionally I'll use it. And it was black so seemed to blend in with the build more than a few I've done in the past.

There's just a single cut in the tubing and it wraps around the entire harness, so it is much easier to install, but doesn't it block some airflow to the radiator?

Dungeoncrawler Feb 21, 2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336847833)
One last picture with the wiring more tidy and black paint touches where needed and showing more of the plumbing, but still more work ahead:

How odd gpu's look without their heatsink :D; awesome rig!

demo Feb 21, 2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336848497)

Yeh, its called conduit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2 (Post 1336848498)
Thanks. Oh, the plastic sleeving? Yeah, I hate sleeving cables. This stuff is effective although not as neat. It's a lot easier, for sure.

Lol yeh I did that on a previous build but ended ripping it all off a short time later, but youre right, its a lot easier than sleeving cables.

Xion X2 Feb 21, 2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336848507)
There's just a single cut in the tubing and it wraps around the entire harness, so it is much easier to install, but doesn't it block some airflow to the radiator?

Well, my airflow is reversed from yours. I'm pulling cool air in from the front (have a pull config on the radiator) and it's exhausted through the radiator fins and into the middle of the case. There are two 200mm fans in the ceiling that you can't see that exhaust hot air.

I've mounted a radiator to the ceiling before like you have yours, but (and this is my personal preference.. not saying that it's wrong) I don't like doing that since hot air naturally rises. To try pulling in cool air from the top of the case goes against modern physics as heat naturally tries to dissipate through any vents that are in the top of the case. I have done it before with some success, though, so know that it can be done effectively. Just choose not to do it. :)

Any cables sitting in front of the radiator, front or back, will block some air, whether it's standard sleeve or the plastic tubing that I'm using now. However, I'm afraid not much can be done. With the layout of my case the radiator has to go in that spot it's in. And because the fittings on the radiator sit parallel to the res in the drive bay I'm using less tubing, as well.

Sazar Feb 21, 2012 02:58 PM

Shadows, does the Swiftech kit come with an external mounting bracket or is that a separate purchase?

Just curious :)

nycdarkness Feb 21, 2012 03:02 PM

Xion where did you get the cf bridge or is it an overlay.

shadow001 Feb 21, 2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2 (Post 1336848526)
Well, my airflow is reversed from yours. I'm pulling cool air in from the front (have a pull config on the radiator) and it's exhausted through the radiator fins and into the middle of the case. There are two 200mm fans in the ceiling that you can't see that exhaust hot air.

I've mounted a radiator to the ceiling before like you have yours, but (and this is my personal preference.. not saying that it's wrong) I don't like doing that since hot air naturally rises. To try pulling in cool air from the top of the case goes against modern physics as heat naturally tries to dissipate through any vents that are in the top of the case. I have done it before with some success, though, so know that it can be done effectively. Just choose not to do it. :)

Any cables sitting in front of the radiator, front or back, will block some air, whether it's standard sleeve or the plastic tubing that I'm using now. However, I'm afraid not much can be done. With the layout of my case the radiator has to go in that spot it's in. And because the fittings on the radiator sit parallel to the res in the drive bay I'm using less tubing, as well.

True on all points, but i want the CPU's to receive the colder air from outside the case first, wich lowers their temps for a given overclock hence why it's set to intake rather than exaust, and i'll waterjet cut the side panels to allow 2 more fans( controled by the front mounted fan controler) to act as an intake for the vertical radiators cooling the GPU's as they're set to exausts.....Basically i'm trying to setup the cooling into 2 seperate areas for the CPU loop and the GPU loop.

shadow001 Feb 21, 2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1336848560)
Shadows, does the Swiftech kit come with an external mounting bracket or is that a separate purchase?

Just curious :)

Everything is included in the kit....

Meteor_of_War Feb 21, 2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336848493)
I put it on the outside the house and break out the small electrical air compressor and clean it pretty quickly in a matter of a few minutes....Comes in handy that the case has wheels, as the frigging thing fully loaded like this and water cooled weighs over 100 Lbs, so there's no way in hell i'll ever take it to a lan party....:lol:

:up: just don't blow off any capacitors. Keep the PSI low.;)

Greasy Feb 21, 2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2 (Post 1336848498)

Ha! I did the same thing in my build too. Too lazy to sleeve the ****. :lol:

Xion X2 Feb 21, 2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336848575)
True on all points, but i want the CPU's to receive the colder air from outside the case first, wich lowers their temps for a given overclock hence why it's set to intake rather than exaust, and i'll waterjet cut the side panels to allow 2 more fans( controled by the front mounted fan controler) to act as an intake for the vertical radiators cooling the GPU's as they're set to exausts.....Basically i'm trying to setup the cooling into 2 seperate areas for the CPU loop and the GPU loop.

Yeah, I'm sure that you have your own reasons for setting it up the way that you did. :)

I learned this lesson one time. On my first water cooled PC I had the radiator mounted in the top of the case and "pushing" air off. Inexperienced as I was, I thought "pushing" the hot air off the radiator sounded like a great idea. One day I realized that I was doing nothing but exhausting all the hot case air through the radiator fins and heating up the radiator. I reversed the fans to pull cold air in through the top and dropped my temps by 5C when doing so.

That's how I know it can be done. :)

My preference, however, is to keep the radiator in the bottom of the case as that's naturally where the cool air resides. It becomes challenging with the more stuff you have in your case, though.

Sound_Card Feb 21, 2012 06:26 PM

nice rigs to the both.

Xion X2 Feb 21, 2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy (Post 1336848646)
Ha! I did the same thing in my build too. Too lazy to sleeve the ****. :lol:

By the time I'm done sleeving a PSU it's been like 3 days and my hands look like they've been through a cheese grater.

I like this stuff better. :p

Performance-PCs will sleeve them for you but it voids the warranty, and they charge a premium for their PSUs. Was trying to go a little more 'budget' with this build.

Xion X2 Feb 21, 2012 06:31 PM

Shadow, the air compressor for cleaning out dust is an excellent idea. These cans of compressed air are way too expensive.