Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   -Post pics of your computer- (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33744307)

aviphysics Jan 18, 2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamK47 (Post 1337122330)
It's to be expected. It's in the public domain. Water off a ducks back and so forth. I've seen setups just as crazy, or crazier than mine.

Most of the time when I see a +$7000 fantasy build from some magazine it seems like they are just throwing money away after the first couple grand. It seems like most every dollar spent on your system offers some measurable degree of benefit. Really makes me :drool:. Very beautiful build.

clerick Jan 18, 2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1337139996)
How much higher is the temp on the upper card in demanding games?

They are about the same. In sleeping dogs on max detail and the cards ocd to 1100mhz highest I got was 76c (fan auto). Maybe will remove the see through screen and put in a mesh.

Mangler Jan 18, 2013 04:42 PM

Hmm, maybe I need to change some stuff in my switch 810, the temps are almost 10 degrees higher on the upper card.

clerick Jan 18, 2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1337140077)
Hmm, maybe I need to change some stuff in my switch 810, the temps are almost 10 degrees higher on the upper card.

Oh it's like that with me two if I use the bottom card as top. The bottom will be 60c and the top will be around 80ish.

Once I swap them the temp averages out to 70. I guess one of the cards has bad paste on it but i'm gonna get 7xx or ati 8xxx cards soon anyway so i'm not gonna bother.

demo Jan 19, 2013 10:24 AM

Yeah I find the same (always have in any MGPU system). Some cards just run hotter for whatever reason, be it the chip, application of thermal grease, contact to cooler etc. and I do the same thing, put the coolest card in the top then the temps between the cards seems much closer.

CurrentlyPissed Jan 19, 2013 03:24 PM

Took some better not-so-grainy pictures :).

And a video of how quiet it is this is while running prime 95, everything on max.

CPU: 65c load Mobo: 33c

Dungeoncrawler Jan 19, 2013 09:54 PM

Finally got that third hydro 680 in my rig. Took a little ingenuity due that the waterblock was not the same type as the other two (couldn't find one to match anywhere). I'll post some pics as soon as I can figure out why my tubing is tinting yellow? I extracted a small piece to examine, and it does not seem to be any kind of buildup on the inside of the tubing itself. Water in the res is perfectly clear. Granted I probably should have focused more on cleaning the rad prior to install. Getting to be an expert on draining, so I'll probably just replace the clear tubing eventually with some color stuff. Btw, great pics everyone. I really enjoy seeing what other people have done with their rigs. I also find it very instructional.

mullet Jan 19, 2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by methimpikehoses (Post 1337137623)
new cpu fans are in. much, much quieter, and a few degrees cooler, at least at idle. the circle is almost complete.

:up::heart::up:

BababooeyHTJ Jan 20, 2013 10:22 AM

I had to swap out my tubing and changed my reservoir while I was at it.

demo Jan 20, 2013 10:36 AM

Kick ass baba, you have inspired me.

CurrentlyPissed Jan 20, 2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ (Post 1337140992)
I had to swap out my tubing and changed my reservoir while I was at it.

Very nice. Did you use colored tubing before? I wanted clear before I got the black, but kinda now prefer the black..

BababooeyHTJ Jan 20, 2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed (Post 1337141142)
Very nice. Did you use colored tubing before? I wanted clear before I got the black, but kinda now prefer the black..

No, I've never used colored tubing before. I had to pull it due to a problem with algae. I thought that ethylene glycol would be enough. Turns out that it wasn't.

I agree that your black tubing does look nice. I was sort of surprised. Is that tygon?

CurrentlyPissed Jan 20, 2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ (Post 1337141182)
No, I've never used colored tubing before. I had to pull it due to a problem with algae. I thought that ethylene glycol would be enough. Turns out that it wasn't.

I agree that your black tubing does look nice. I was sort of surprised. Is that tygon?

No, I actually wanted Tygon, but Microcenter was out of stock on it (where I got everything). So I grabbed the other stuff. Was primochill iirc.

You had algae growing, did you use and IandH Dead Water or PT Nuke?

Thats another thing that concerned me with the black tubing is if I did have a growth, I have no real way of knowing... So I guess I'll just change tubing every time I change the water. Why risk it yah know?

BababooeyHTJ Jan 20, 2013 06:18 PM

I was using feser protector which I'm pretty sure is just ethylene glycol. I thought that I didn't need a biocide with it, I was wrong.

I'm using pt nuke now. I hope that I used enough since I forgot to put the kill coil back in.

Thats the one thing that would worry me about colored tubing. Then again you can always check the walls of the tubing later the next time that you change something. I doubt that you'll have any issues.

Roadhog Jan 20, 2013 08:05 PM

Never used anti algae additive, ever had algae growth. Also, don't have any windows in my cases.

demo Jan 20, 2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed (Post 1337141210)
Thats another thing that concerned me with the black tubing is if I did have a growth, I have no real way of knowing... So I guess I'll just change tubing every time I change the water. Why risk it yah know?

Black tubing minimises growth, to the point it should prevent it if it's blocking out the light, aswell as black absorbing any light that does manage to penetrate. Along with some additives it should be fine.

Heh, thats also the reason why hydro equipment is often black under lights...

caveman-jim Jan 20, 2013 09:49 PM

I always wondered about UV lights and UV tubing, if it caused problems if you didnt use sterile coolant.

aviphysics Jan 21, 2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1337141348)
I always wondered about UV lights and UV tubing, if it caused problems if you didnt use sterile coolant.

I was talking to a biologist at work one day about growing plants with black/UV lights. He informed me that plants mostly grow from visible light and UV light was not necessary nor helpful for plant growth. Growing plants indoors in controlled environments is something he spent years working on, so I take him at his word. Additionally, my parents fish pond filter uses intense UV light to kill stuff growing in the water.

Additionally, I am pretty sure that the plastic tubing is generally mostly opaque to UV light.

aviphysics Jan 21, 2013 06:39 PM

Moved my PC desk downstairs which required taking everything apart and putting it back together. I took the opportunity to clean up the rats nest.

It was really amazing to me how many wires are involved. It reminds me of that old imac commercial where the PC guy has boxes and boxes of junk to connect and the imac has just a couple. I think I have just 8 power cables, 5 usb cables, 2 speaker wires, 3 DVI cables, an ethernet cable and an audio cable.

mullet Jan 21, 2013 08:40 PM

Nice setup aviphysics!!! enjoy.

Dungeoncrawler Jan 22, 2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

It was really amazing to me how many wires are involved.
Exactly why I keep putting off moving my pc area around. I've contemplated buying a new desk, but just don't want to spend the time on removing everything and then hooking everything back.

aviphysics Jan 22, 2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet (Post 1337142218)
Nice setup aviphysics!!! enjoy.

Thanks. My father and I build the desk with the idea of hiding as much of the cabling as possible. A lot of the cabling that you can see, besides the power cables, is visible because I didn't have long enough cables for the channels we put in. My ideal would be to have it so clean that you wouldn't see anything but a single power cable coming out of the bottom. It is also designed to isolate any computer noise (fans/HD etc). Hardware wise it actually seems pretty backwards compared to what a lot of people post on this thread. For gaming, I would really like a GPU that could do a better job of handling all three monitors. The 6870 really struggles with some games, others it does alright.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1337142416)
Exactly why I keep putting off moving my pc area around. I've contemplated buying a new desk, but just don't want to spend the time on removing everything and then hooking everything back.

It is a pain but it feels worth it at the end of the day.

BababooeyHTJ Jan 22, 2013 04:07 PM

That makes me ashamed of the cables behind my desk.

Dave Jan 24, 2013 08:33 PM

Just setup 3 U2412M monitors for Eyefinity :drool:

caveman-jim Jan 25, 2013 03:12 PM

:drool: Nice.

mrk1283 Jan 25, 2013 03:50 PM

New Dell U2713HM (right) and old U2412M on left.

Dell U2412M + U2713HM by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

aviphysics Jan 25, 2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk1283 (Post 1337146051)
New Dell U2713HM (right) and old U2412M on left.

Dell U2412M + U2713HM by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

That is a nice looking MineCraft skin.

mrk1283 Jan 26, 2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviphysics (Post 1337146227)
That is a nice looking MineCraft skin.

Lol :p

andino Jan 27, 2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 1337088762)
My server received a storage upgrade yesterday.
Building the array will take a few days. I'm also verifying the first array at the same time. Since RAID 6 worked so nicely the first time, a went with RAID 6 again.

A few photos:

And old ones from the inside:

Nice setup. I'm actually starting on one myself. Not as many drives as you though but I really don't have that much to store. I'm going the RAID 5 route for most of the storage and RAID 1 for system backups and personal file storage. Basically, just streaming movies to 2 TV's, 3 computers and two iPads. I have 24TB in case and about 17.5 after RAID setup.

CurrentlyPissed Jan 31, 2013 10:18 PM

The new layout.

Screens off

Screens on

Behind the scenes