Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   -Post pics of your computer- (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33744307)

caveman-jim May 3, 2010 09:12 AM

Oh I see. I guess you could but it wouldn't be very effective as the radiator would block airflow.

the_mup May 3, 2010 06:57 PM

Crappy cell phone pic of the innards....still needs work, but its getting there.

aviphysics May 3, 2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_mup (Post 1336242523)
Crappy cell phone pic of the innards....still needs work, but its getting there.
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1863/img030bx.jpg

My intuition is that it would be better to plum your GPUs in parallel. Is this not the case?

the_mup May 3, 2010 10:25 PM

That has been suggested to me before, but after looking around...there are various opinions on it.

Some seem to have great results, while others have worse temps. It just didn't seem to make sense to me. I still have components in the loop that need to be replaced for better components, so I think that would be minimal...

I just can't imagine how that would flow better, it seems like one of the cards would get all of the flow while the other just recycled it own fluid.

aviphysics May 4, 2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_mup (Post 1336242684)
That has been suggested to me before, but after looking around...there are various opinions on it.

Some seem to have great results, while others have worse temps. It just didn't seem to make sense to me. I still have components in the loop that need to be replaced for better components, so I think that would be minimal...

I just can't imagine how that would flow better, it seems like one of the cards would get all of the flow while the other just recycled it own fluid.

Think about it in terms of pressure. If both parts have the same impedance then they should both see the same flow if they are connected in parallel. The total flow may even be higher as the total impedance is also lower compared to both blocks plumbed in series (Z=R/2 vs Z=2R respectively). Even if the total flow was the same for both configurations I still believe this system will give the best cooling. Now that being said I would not plum to different blocks in parallel as that could lead to insufficient flow if one block is of significantly greater impedance .

The main downside is that in the event of a clog flow could stop flowing through one and you may not notice as the other block would act like a bypass and the total flow would not stop. If this happened and they were both in series then there would be a pressure build up that would help though not entirely counteract the effects of the blockage. If the blockage is bad enough and they are in series your flow could stop entirely which you would notice very quickly. I would not expect this to be a problem for a properly maintained system as you should have something to keep stuff from growing in the water and the water should be free of junk.

If you flow is high enough then the fluid may only suffer a tiny change in temperature going from one to the other and it won't matter which configuration you have.

For reference my main background in water cooling comes from working on the designing of a cooling upgrade for the DIII-D national fusion facility. It's a very different scale but is fundamentally the same. All our systems were connected in parallel and this worked very well though obviously we used much more instrumentation and regulation then inside a PC. The piece de la resistance was 6 1MW gyrotrons (big microwave generators) that each dumped 2MW of power into our cooling system.

Now where do I have those pictures...
Here we go. I am the dorky guy I on the right, my daughter is in the middle (same girl from the picture of the of my desk) and the lovely lady is my wife. The six monoliths behind us are gyrotrons that we had finished just in time for family day. Easily the funnest job ever.

the_mup May 4, 2010 01:17 AM

Great advice, thank you.

I eventually plan to upgrade the pump, radiator, and reservoir. I will certainly reference this again when it comes time for the next upgrade.

war_child May 4, 2010 01:55 PM

My first ever PC mod :)

acroig May 4, 2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviphysics (Post 1336242757)
Now where do I have those pictures...
Here we go. I am the dorky guy I on the right, my daughter is in the middle (same girl from the picture of the of my desk) and the lovely lady is my wife.

Lovely family, congrats.

aviphysics May 4, 2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by war_child (Post 1336243260)

Very clean and that is a hell of a PhysX card

Trunks0 May 4, 2010 08:00 PM

Been awhile since I posted a shot of the exterior. Behold my meager monolith :D

I'll post a better interior shot when I get my HD 5770 tomorrow :)

caveman-jim May 4, 2010 08:47 PM

That's Sonata II or III?

Treeckcold57 May 4, 2010 09:14 PM

I will upload some pics of my new gaming rig soon. But hey, I almost done building my gaming rig. Now, all i need is a new hard drive and a DVD drive. :)

Trunks0 May 4, 2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1336243612)
That's Sonata II or III?

Sonata II. I have really liked it all these years, but I really want to replace it since GFX cards are getting crazy long again.

Treeckcold57 May 4, 2010 09:59 PM

Yes. I know I know...this isn't a finished building rig. I still need to get a new hard drive and a dvd drive, and then I will finish it. :p

caveman-jim May 4, 2010 10:07 PM

looking good Treeck! :up:

Treeckcold57 May 4, 2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1336243704)
looking good Treeck! :up:

Thanks a bunch! :)

ExoTic May 5, 2010 03:46 PM

My Previous System Thermal Take Armor +MX

I was using Thermal Take Big Water Liquid Cooling wit 4870x2 in Quadfire Set Up.

Sides View

Lights OUT!!

Frontal SHots!

Watcha LoOkin AT?

Well dis system is long gone i dont have a single piece of it nemore.

Trunks0 May 6, 2010 01:32 AM

And the inside of my Sonta 2 with HD 5770. It's amazing just how much shorter it is than the 8800GT it replaced. However I had to move my TV Tuner up to the top PCI-E 1x slot above the video card. The fan of the HD 5770 is taller and was touching the tuner :(.

and the beast that guards the interior...

look closely...

The Luggage May 6, 2010 05:59 AM

Decided to switch over to a Corsair Obsidian 800d, my Antec P160 is getting old, and it looked like a rat's nest inside lol.

Went from this (excuse the blurry picture):

To this:

Dungeoncrawler May 6, 2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Luggage (Post 1336245024)
Decided to switch over to a Corsair Obsidian 800d, my Antec P160 is getting old, and it looked like a rat's nest inside lol.

Went from this (excuse the blurry picture):

To this:

Great taste in cases my friend :D

Ristogod May 8, 2010 01:22 AM

I'd totally get that Corsair case if it just had some sort of handle feature to help carry it.

aviphysics May 8, 2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1336247142)
I'd totally get that Corsair case if it just had some sort of handle feature to help carry it.

I suggest a trip to the hardware store to solve that problem.

Seyiji May 9, 2010 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1336239749)
Wow, thats awesome! Yes, please send me a hi-res version and I'll post up pics of it as my Eyefinity 6 desktop :D

9 days later :nag:

OLD (Thermaltake Aguila :(*)

NEW (Coolermaster HAF 922 :)*)

caveman-jim May 9, 2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seyiji (Post 1336248133)
9 days later :nag:

:p Eyefinity 6 rig is in bits right now as I test other things. ;)*

Ristogod May 10, 2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviphysics (Post 1336247683)
I suggest a trip to the hardware store to solve that problem.

Well that would solve it from a functional point. But aesthetically it may detract from the case. I simply don't have the skill to add something and make it look nice.

While I don't mind the very basic clean cut looks to the case, a little more flare (not too much) and an integrated handle/carrying-system would have almost sold me on switching from my current case (which I absolutely still love).

I'm not saying it's a bad case. Internally it seems unmatched.

The Luggage May 10, 2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1336247142)

Why would you want a handle? I can't imagine wanting to move it around very much; The case is huge. I know it's not coming out from underneath my desk anytime soon.

Treeckcold57 May 10, 2010 03:40 PM

Before I fixed the cable management.

Windows XP installation...

Light out!

ScottDoom May 10, 2010 03:42 PM

Windows ...XP? :eek:

Treeckcold57 May 10, 2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottDoom (Post 1336249326)
Windows ...XP? :eek:

I KNOW I KNOW....don't be panic, Scott. I have no money to buy the Windows 7, but someday I will get one. lol

Deaderinred May 11, 2010 07:40 AM

nothing wrong with xp, i still use it.