Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Oculus Link (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051576)

SirBaron Nov 22, 2020 12:01 PM

Playing Beat Saber wireless in Virtual Desktop, as the Quest Version with BMBF for custom songs breaks too many things.

If I can play this wireless, I can play anything :bleh: :lol:

SubCog Nov 27, 2020 07:31 PM

So it seems that my issue is that Oculus Link is setting an appropriate render resolution for games, while Virtual Desktop is not. Some games allow me to adjust it in-game, but others don't, and I'm not sure what is passing in the resolution values if I'm not playing over Link.

It looks like SteamVR allows me to set that... but I don't see any way to set resolution for Oculus games played over VD.

Mangler Nov 27, 2020 07:36 PM

Isn't the medium quality setting in VD the same as the 1.0 setting in link?

SirBaron Nov 28, 2020 12:00 AM

Yeah low is below resolution, high is supersampling.

AMD has higher latency and and weaker encoder according to the developer of virtual desktop, that and virtual desktop takes away a bit of computing power away compared to Link due to how it works.

Eisberg Nov 28, 2020 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338248009)
Yeah low is below resolution, high is supersampling.

AMD has higher latency and and weaker encoder according to the developer of virtual desktop, that and virtual desktop takes away a bit of computing power away compared to Link due to how it works.

Yeah, with Asgard's Wrath on my RX 5700 XT, if I play through Oculus Link, I have the Resolution set to 1.2x with 90hz on Oculus Link settings, and I have the game graphic settings set to high, and it works great. But if I use Virtual Desktop, I need to go to Medium settings on Virtual Desktop and use Medium settings in the game.

Mangler Dec 4, 2020 09:05 PM

Found a game where Link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VD, Serious Sam 3, feels like that game is doing everything it can to mess up a 90-150mbps video stream.

SirBaron Dec 5, 2020 08:28 AM

Medal of Honor is out soon, game looks great can’t wait to get it.

Mangler Dec 5, 2020 08:54 AM

The install size is no joke though, 160-170GB, maybe they should make that gallery an optional DLC if those VR videos are the reason behind that HUGE install size.

Mangler Dec 10, 2020 11:51 PM

People does not seem to be impressed by MOH.

Eisberg Dec 11, 2020 01:08 AM

So I did go with Virtual Desktop for wireless PCVR for a long while, and used the Oculus link for sit down games. But now I am back to using solely oculus link because the recent update for Virtual Desktop is broken and is now unplayable. Very frequent drops down to 1 FPS for several seconds at a time. I'm not the only one having this issue with the most recent update. Looks like it mostly effects AMD video cards, and nothing to do with drivers because I was using the same drivers on previous version of Virtual Desktop as I was with the new newest version of Virtual Desktop.

SirBaron Dec 11, 2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1338251445)

Yeah buggy and lacking features found in games these days like smooth turning, etc etc

Also wasn't expecting a 60 price tag for the game, will wait for sale/patches.

Jet Black Dec 11, 2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338251595)
Yeah buggy and lacking features found in games these days like smooth turning, etc etc

Also wasn't expecting a 60 price tag for the game, will wait for sale/patches.

Sounds like it also has some harsh fail-states and is generally not super fun.

Mangler Dec 11, 2020 01:44 PM

It it true that most of the game is broken up into short 2-3 minute segments?

SubCog Feb 25, 2021 10:18 PM

So a couple Oculus news items that are worth mentioning.

Virtual Desktop now supports streaming VR games from a PC over wifi, natively without having to download a patch through SideQuest.

Also worth noting that Virtual Desktop is WAAAAY better than it used to be, and more and more of us are able to get smooth gameplay through it (including me, at least on the games I've checked this week).

Some people are speculating that Oculus may be getting very close to releasing their own wireless Link functionality, and that is why they're suddenly allowing Virtual Desktop to offer this capability... maybe they had felt a bit inadequate having someone else get to it way before them?

Oculus has also released their new store, called the App Lab.
Apparently App Lab is meant to include beta or experimental games that may not meet the standard of quality for the normal store, pretty much a replacement for SideQuest, but will still allow devs to sell access.

So the story this week is that the Virtual Desktop developer submitted his app with the wireless VR streaming feature to the App Lab store, and Oculus came back and said he can just publish it in the regular Oculus store instead. So wireless VR streaming on Quest is now an official thing, rather than a hack.

Nascar24 Feb 26, 2021 07:46 AM

It’s about time, it’s what makes the Quest great!

Jet Black Feb 26, 2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338271322)
So a couple Oculus news items that are worth mentioning.

Virtual Desktop now supports streaming VR games from a PC over wifi, natively without having to download a patch through SideQuest.

Also worth noting that Virtual Desktop is WAAAAY better than it used to be, and more and more of us are able to get smooth gameplay through it (including me, at least on the games I've checked this week).

Some people are speculating that Oculus may be getting very close to releasing their own wireless Link functionality, and that is why they're suddenly allowing Virtual Desktop to offer this capability... maybe they had felt a bit inadequate having someone else get to it way before them?

Oculus has also released their new store, called the App Lab.
Apparently App Lab is meant to include beta or experimental games that may not meet the standard of quality for the normal store, pretty much a replacement for SideQuest, but will still allow devs to sell access.

So the story this week is that the Virtual Desktop developer submitted his app with the wireless VR streaming feature to the App Lab store, and Oculus came back and said he can just publish it in the regular Oculus store instead. So wireless VR streaming on Quest is now an official thing, rather than a hack.

Wow, that's a huge shock! Glad they decided to give-in on that. Do you know if we have to uninstall/reinstall?

SubCog Feb 26, 2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet Black (Post 1338271418)
Wow, that's a huge shock! Glad they decided to give-in on that. Do you know if we have to uninstall/reinstall?

Nope, no uninstall needed. Just upgrade the app from the general oculus store, and you'll be good to go.

twonha Feb 27, 2021 03:02 PM

Damnit. I was comfortable in the knowledge that I could skip the Quest 2, because its wireless PCVR solution was too much of a hassle. Looks like I'm going to have to start saving up for one after all. :bleh:

Eisberg Feb 27, 2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twonha (Post 1338271592)
Damnit. I was comfortable in the knowledge that I could skip the Quest 2, because its wireless PCVR solution was too much of a hassle. Looks like I'm going to have to start saving up for one after all. :bleh:

:lol:

SubCog Feb 27, 2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1338251445)

Did that come out already? I guess I missed it.

SubCog Feb 27, 2021 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twonha (Post 1338271592)

I expect there will be a new headset launching later this year. Lots of chatter about a "Quest 2 Pro". If it has a wider FOV and supports Wifi 6E, I'll prolly have to drop the cash for a new one as well.

SirBaron Feb 28, 2021 08:12 AM

if if has wider FOV and wifi 6e I'll be upgrading from the quest 2 on day 1.

SubCog Mar 6, 2021 11:45 AM

Oculus just banned cloud gaming services, like the recently announced Pluto. Banned both from the oculus store and the app labs store.

Makes sense, I guess, as if Cloud gaming works well then it really starts to allow cloud gaming services to compete directly against the oculus store. I can see why they don't want that on their devices. Frankly this compromises the whole purpose of building the device at all.

Oculus really needs to get their cloud gaming service going.

twonha Mar 6, 2021 01:07 PM

Cloud gaming as in streaming your games? I think the latency and quality for that isn't up to par yet on a regular PC. Can't imagine that working better on a VR headset. But, eh, it's bound to happen at some point.

SirBaron Mar 6, 2021 03:50 PM

Already does happen, Shadow streaming or whatever that company is called + Virtual Desktop. Certainly can't imagine latency being good on that though.

SubCog Mar 6, 2021 05:17 PM

Lots of people are playing VR games over Shadow VR, and I've heard very good things about it. Apparently the latency isn't too bad... Pluto actually says that the quality of your local wifi has a larger impact on overall latency than your internet.

SubCog Apr 13, 2021 10:15 PM

Oculus Air Link has been announced. Will be available in beta after the next release launches for both Quest and Desktop. Will see how it competes against Virtual Desktop in terms of performance.

Air link should have some advantages, especially being able to take advantage of time warp, etc.

Also announced is their Infinite Office productivity features, for using your mouse and keyboard etc.

And of course 120hz support, for any guyz who are interested in that kind of stuff.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introduc...st-2-and-more/

Eisberg Apr 14, 2021 12:59 AM

Hopefully it comes soon. because the recent update to Oculus desktop app has literally broken Oculus link for me. When I plug in my headset with the link, the desktop app goes into a reboot loop until I disconnect the headset.

kboye Apr 14, 2021 09:16 AM

So let's say every 50th frame would be sent off to Facebook....:lol:

Interesting to watch the John Carmack unfiltered Quest 2 talk where he mentions how many different systems/services are gradually affecting latency now. Got me thinking, being Facebook you gotta wonder how much they analyse and pipe home to the "mothership". Man is a huge inspiration. Also talks about choices in lenses, displays, heat/power management, different teams etc.

Isn't there already a " whack off" hand gesture filter in place now?

SirBaron Apr 14, 2021 12:23 PM

120hz is for native quest apps, if/when certain games will support it. 120hz link will be coming in a future update.