Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Oculus Link (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051576)

Eisberg Sep 21, 2020 01:03 AM

Oculus Link

I got my oculus link cable not to long ago. Today is the first day I actually got to have some time to actually play it for more than 15 minutes. I played for about 2 hours straight. I played the PC version of Beat Saber on Steam, and then all of Vader Immortal Episode 1 for the PC.

Wow, I am very impressed how well it works. Honestly it is actually better in every way, except for 1, compared to my HP Mixed Reality set. While the HP can do 90Hz and the Quest can only do 72Hz, I honestly cannot tell the difference. It is very much worth losing the 90hz to have a lot more comfort and a little bit better resolution.

I don't notice any kind of increased latency compared to the HP Mixed Reality, either.

I think the next game I am going to get for VR is going to be Asquard's Wrath, that game looks way fun.

Thr0tt Sep 21, 2020 03:58 AM

Go wire free and use Virtual Desktop Streamer :) Needs a good 5Ghz wifi though.

SubCog Sep 21, 2020 10:30 AM

I tried a bunch of stuff to get wireless Virtual Desktop working smoothly. Wired gigabit connection from my PC to a dedicated 5ghz router in the same room that I play in, etc. It's always been a massive stutterfest. I eventually gave up and just used a wired connection. I bought 36ft of active usb3.0 extension cables, and it works great that way.

We'll see what i can do with Quest 2... the wifi 6 capabilities may offer some new options. Carmack keeps talking about them exploring the idea of selling a dedicated wifi dongle that they can customize the firmware on... I wish they'd pull the trigger on that.

Eisberg Sep 21, 2020 11:03 AM

I used to have a great 5GHz router, but then about 9 months ago Asus did something in one of their security firmware updates and it screwed up the 5GHz stability. About 9 months ago it made 5GHz basically useless because it would disconnect dozen's of times per day. Then over time they fixed it little by little. Now only my PC has a stable connection on 5GHz, but our smart phones and tablets still have intermittent loss on 5GHz, same with the Roku box, so we keep the Roku and our smart devices on the 2.4Ghz band.

SirBaron Sep 21, 2020 11:06 AM

Oculus link works great, espcially since they optimised it for Turing cards.

Virtual Desktop works great for me, would be nice to see what it can do with Quest 2 and Wifi 6, but sadly Oculus devices are not sold in Germany anymore for the time being due to Germany having a issue with Facebook login being enforced as they love to sell your data. :p

Mangler Oct 9, 2020 07:13 PM

Has any review mentioned if link+quest 2 looks better than the rift s or not?

Eisberg Oct 9, 2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1338233801)
Has any review mentioned if link+quest 2 looks better than the rift s or not?

I saw a few that stated it was better than Rift S, and that is because of the higher resolution, though still at 72hz until Oculus gets the 90hz through link ready.

SirBaron Oct 10, 2020 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisberg (Post 1338233828)
I saw a few that stated it was better than Rift S, and that is because of the higher resolution, though still at 72hz until Oculus gets the 90hz through link ready.

It's a yes and no at the moment.

Quest 1 link was limited to 150mbps, while Quest 2 we don't know exactly.

So while ofcourse the image is going to be sharper due to the higher res screen (and eventually 90hz), there is still the compression in dark scenes.

However that's because LINK hasn't been upgraded to take advantage of quest 2 yet.

They said shortly after launch they will release a update to increase the quality of oculus link, and also they will release a update for 90hz too.

The 90Hz holdup is because it has a bug with the guardian system.

Vanz_007 Oct 10, 2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thr0tt (Post 1338227154)
Go wire free and use Virtual Desktop Streamer :) Needs a good 5Ghz wifi though.

what hardware are you using exactly and is it running well?

Jet Black Oct 10, 2020 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338233850)
It's a yes and no at the moment.

Quest 1 link was limited to 150mbps, while Quest 2 we don't know exactly.

So while ofcourse the image is going to be sharper due to the higher res screen (and eventually 90hz), there is still the compression in dark scenes.

However that's because LINK hasn't been upgraded to take advantage of quest 2 yet.

They said shortly after launch they will release a update to increase the quality of oculus link, and also they will release a update for 90hz too.

The 90Hz holdup is because it has a bug with the guardian system.

Any idea if Virtual Desktop is limited by the Link's throughput? I would assume that it's not really using link software at all? If I remember correctly, I had Virtual Desktop running before Link was officially released on the Quest.

SirBaron Oct 11, 2020 01:12 AM

Virtual desktop is limited too, it’s not down to the cable it’s down to how fast the snapdragon can process the video stream.

This is a much faster chip so no idea how high it can do.

Thr0tt Oct 11, 2020 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanz_007 (Post 1338233984)
what hardware are you using exactly and is it running well?

All in my sig and yes itís accessible. 480mbps on 5ghz with some minor drops but overall the wireless play vs cabled feels better with freedom. Alyx plays and looks sharp.

Trunks0 Oct 11, 2020 03:04 AM

I think he meant your network setup.

Thr0tt Oct 11, 2020 03:11 AM

Ahh ok, I have a Tenda Mesh 3 AP’s but I actually use the 5ghz only on my BT Hub 6, it’s the only thing on its wireless and it’s 5-10ft away from play area. Back hauling is 1gbps to pc. Internet about 70mbps.

Vanz_007 Oct 11, 2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thr0tt (Post 1338234045)
Ahh ok, I have a Tenda Mesh 3 AP’s but I actually use the 5ghz only on my BT Hub 6, it’s the only thing on its wireless and it’s 5-10ft away from play area. Back hauling is 1gbps to pc. Internet about 70mbps.

thanks, I gotta get this virtual desktop working well with the quest 2, this really seems like the future of vr to me... should I go for wifi 6 router and is there a router brand name that is best suited for this application or which brand is most reliable?

I'm kinda surprised other companies arent going this route aggressively. if I was HTC I would buy virtual desktop and optimize for a wireless new design, all in... with wireless working well, I just don't see a future for wired, or am I missing something?

I would really like someone to take over the wireless vr market other than FB, I hate FB but am getting the q2 but will jump away first chance I get...

Trunks0 Oct 11, 2020 02:21 PM

HTC already has a dedicated wireless adapter to get the Vive wireless. But I agree, tether free is the way to go :)

SirBaron Oct 11, 2020 03:39 PM

Carmack already basically publically bitched about Oculus not going wireless on twitter in a round about way.

I think whoever is in charge isn't interested in making a wireless dongel, hopefully they do though.

Vanz_007 Oct 11, 2020 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338234152)
Carmack already basically publically bitched about Oculus not going wireless on twitter in a round about way.

what do you mean, I though Oculus was going pretty hard on wireless? and aren't they easing or even dropping rift support...

Eisberg Oct 11, 2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanz_007 (Post 1338234198)
what do you mean, I though Oculus was going pretty hard on wireless? and aren't they easing or even dropping rift support...

He is talking about wireless to the PC

Vanz_007 Oct 11, 2020 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1338234143)
HTC already has a dedicated wireless adapter to get the Vive wireless. But I agree, tether free is the way to go :)

is this a good option, does any one own this?

when does the next Gen HTC release?

I'm not that up to speed on all the vr stuff, been pretty much ignoring it until I felt the library was decent and the later more polished generations started coming out, which seems to be about now and the q2, but I hate the FB rules, so I have 30 days to return my q2 and change my mind...

SubCog Oct 12, 2020 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanz_007 (Post 1338234198)

There will be a wireless option. With the wifi6 antenna on board, it's stupidly obvious to support wireless link. The only question is when.

Eisberg Oct 12, 2020 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanz_007 (Post 1338234257)
is this a good option, does any one own this?

when does the next Gen HTC release?

I'm not that up to speed on all the vr stuff, been pretty much ignoring it until I felt the library was decent and the later more polished generations started coming out, which seems to be about now and the q2, but I hate the FB rules, so I have 30 days to return my q2 and change my mind...

HTC is getting out of the PC gaming/consumer VR business and is going to concentrate on VR for education/museum and Enterprise applications. Their next headset, called "Cosmos Play", isn't going to be sold to consumers at all. So HTCs last consumer headset is the "Cosmos", which was released last year.

HTCs wireless adapter is $350 all by itself, so really expensive, and the Cosmos is like $700. So you are looking at over $1000 for a PCVR wireless setup through HTC.

Vanz_007 Oct 12, 2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisberg (Post 1338234270)
HTC is getting out of the PC gaming/consumer VR business and is going to concentrate on VR for education/museum and Enterprise applications. Their next headset, called "Cosmos Play", isn't going to be sold to consumers at all. So HTCs last consumer headset is the "Cosmos", which was released last year.

HTCs wireless adapter is $350 all by itself, so really expensive, and the Cosmos is like $700. So you are looking at over $1000 for a PCVR wireless setup through HTC.

ughhh, that's awful, whos gonna compete with FB then? I want out of Q2 due to forcing FB on people and linking to my account and collecting data on my activity... scummy little jerks...

this could set up a really bad precedence, can't buy anyone's hardware without setting up accounts through their "social media" or other crap platforms... oops, can't run your new rtx 3090 card unless you sign up for nvidia's new social media account, want that new intel chip... go get an account first... I could see laptops next...

Eisberg Oct 12, 2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanz_007 (Post 1338234378)
ughhh, that's awful, whos gonna compete with FB then? I want out of Q2 due to forcing FB on people and linking to my account and collecting data on my activity... scummy little jerks...

this could set up a really bad precedence, can't buy anyone's hardware without setting up accounts through their "social media" or other crap platforms... oops, can't run your new rtx 3090 card unless you sign up for nvidia's new social media account, want that new intel chip... go get an account first... I could see laptops next...

For wireless PCVR competition? Nobody
For stand alone wireless VR? Still nobody
For wired PCVR wired: Valve, HP, and Samsung, Pimax

yeah, there really needs to be competition for wireless PCVR and stand alone wireless VR.

Trunks0 Oct 12, 2020 09:53 PM

There are a bunch of Chinese no-names doing the same as FB. So eventually someone will pick-up one of those designs and compete with FB. In the end, the Quest/2 is just an android phone slapped into a typical VR headset. Really not allot of work anymore, the hard part is getting anything programed for Android and VR to work outside FB's walled garden.

Jet Black Oct 12, 2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1338234453)
There are a bunch of Chinese no-names doing the same as FB. So eventually someone will pick-up one of those designs and compete with FB. In the end, the Quest/2 is just an android phone slapped into a typical VR headset. Really not allot of work anymore, the hard part of getting anything programed for Android and VR to work outside FB's walled garden.

I think you're right. Quest was Facebook's attempt at something new and while all the other hardware builders were looking at PC and Console centric designs, they snuck in with an all-in-one that was a success. I think that's why they ran with Quest 2 so quickly because they knew that if they didn't have something a step up, someone else would.

Vanz_007 Oct 12, 2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

There are a bunch of Chinese no-names doing the same as FB. So eventually someone will pick-up one of those designs and compete with FB. In the end, the Quest/2 is just an android phone slapped into a typical VR headset. Really not allot of work anymore, the hard part of getting anything programed for Android and VR to work outside FB's walled garden.

yeah, I could see Samsung picking this up and really running with it... market is probable still too small for them...

Vanz_007 Oct 12, 2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

hmm, I don't know about that, more power, lighter, better cooling, cheaper, clearer image, better battery life ...etc, a ton of work left to improve and/or optimize...

Trunks0 Oct 13, 2020 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanz_007 (Post 1338234462)
yeah, I could see Samsung picking this up and really running with it... market is probable still too small for them...

It's funny you mention Samsung because Oculus used to make a VR headset for Samsung phones call Gear VR. You just slotted in your handset and away you went. It was only discontinued last month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanz_007 (Post 1338234463)
hmm, I don't know about that, more power, lighter, better cooling, cheaper, clearer image, better battery life ...etc, a ton of work left to improve and/or optimize...

Totally true! It's just not as difficult any more :)

clerick Oct 13, 2020 07:10 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm..._been_disabled

Really do not recommend giving FB money.

Eisberg Oct 13, 2020 10:49 AM

This feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen

xCLAVEx Oct 13, 2020 02:30 PM

So...they banned the guys account because "reasons", won't tell him why they banned it, and said their decision is permanent? Even worse, they threaten if he is to dare try and attach his link to another facebook account, they will ban that one too? Now he has a $300+ brick.

No, never buying one of these.

Vanz_007 Oct 13, 2020 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clerick (Post 1338234485)
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm..._been_disabled

Really do not recommend giving FB money.

yup, I hate FB and think zuckerberg is a lying/cheating scumbag... but I want my Quest 2... I'm weak... :(

Trunks0 Oct 13, 2020 07:47 PM

I gotta imagine FB will end up changing this as the level of security and BS that goes along with a regular FB account is not worth the hassle vs an Oculus account. It will hurt sales, the bad press is already starting and the potential law suites will not be worth it for them to try and keep this a thing.

Vanz_007 Oct 13, 2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1338234656)
I gotta imagine FB will end up changing this as the level of security and BS that goes along with a regular FB account is not worth the hassle vs an Oculus account. It will hurt sales, the bad press is already starting and the potential law suites will not be worth it for them to try and keep this a thing.

lol, yeah this bad publicity would probably have FB wanting to buy these people off quickly and make this go away, could be a cash cow for them if they played it right... if they played it out in the media could definitely hurt FB long term, even without people knowing all the facts...

Mangler Oct 14, 2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

For our new Oculus Quest 2 users Link'in it up with USB3... If you have a good GPU w/ fast video encode, you can set "Encode Width" in OculusDebugTool to ~3664.

Then push app-pixel-density as you see fit.

We'll eventually be making these and other settings automagic.
https://twitter.com/volgaksoy/status...43051791015936

Jet Black Oct 14, 2020 01:26 PM

I thought I knew stuff, but I guess I don't know enough. Can someone explain to me what that means?

SirBaron Oct 14, 2020 02:20 PM

Virtual Desktop works amazingly well at 150mpbs and 90hz :drool:.

xCLAVEx Oct 14, 2020 04:32 PM

This is coming from somebody with a facebook account.

As much as I'd like to get into the VR market, the Rift 2 is not an option because of the facebook requirement. I cannot risk paying $400 for something and then have it one day become useless due to a social media account closing or being shut down for any number of arbitrary reasons.

If they ever change it to facebook being not required, then I may try one. Until then (if ever) I'll just wait a few more years for the prices of others to come down.

Vanz_007 Oct 14, 2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xCLAVEx (Post 1338234831)
This is coming from somebody with a facebook account.

As much as I'd like to get into the VR market, the Rift 2 is not an option because of the facebook requirement. I cannot risk paying $400 for something and then have it one day become useless due to a social media account closing or being shut down for any number of arbitrary reasons.

If they ever change it to facebook being not required, then I may try one. Until then (if ever) I'll just wait a few more years for the prices of others to come down.

I think the odds of it happening to you are very low probably less than the odds of being struck by lightening, so for me I'm just jumping in now to enjoy the ride as the probability of this happening (in my opinion) is so low.

just my 2 cents,

V