Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ryzen 5000 series overclocking guide (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051952)

KAC Dec 18, 2020 10:27 AM

I think under volting this CPU is a must for me to maintain decent temperatures. Almost 12 C difference. I was running CODBOCW for about 1 hour and hitting 83 C tops w/ core boost to max of 5.1 Gs and other cores around the usual 4.65 Gs to 4.85 Gs. However, just set the volts down to 1.25 and look at the magic. Lost maybe 50 MHz here and there, no impact on FPS, but temps down to 71 C max. And usually under 70 C for most of the gaming time. Also it doesn't make my balls sweat with all the heat coming out of the case.



Can't wait for new bios that will allow for even lower volts (possibly 1.15 or 1.2 volts) and if it boosts back to about 5 Gs I am golden.

badsykes Dec 19, 2020 06:00 AM

I do feel that if you want to play so much with memory ocing the Gigabyte B550 Aorus pro is better build for this.Newer topology than most X570.You can listen to this video for more technical details.


KAC Dec 20, 2020 01:48 AM

I am not quite happy with this 5900X. Will grab a 5950X and a 3090 when they are back in stock. Need more cores and higher fps.

badsykes Dec 20, 2020 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338254391)
I am not quite happy with this 5900X. Will grab a 5950X and a 3090 when they are back in stock. Need more cores and higher fps.



EPYC Milan based on 5000 series so you can get 64 cores / 128 threads .... :D:lol:

Meteor_of_War Dec 20, 2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338254391)
I am not quite happy with this 5900X. Will grab a 5950X and a 3090 when they are back in stock. Need more cores and higher fps.

Why not just do this? Will be easier and save you time, and all of us from reading your moronic remorse threads.


KAC Dec 20, 2020 12:24 PM

So I set the voltage to 1.225 and now CPU never breaks 70 C. I am also still able to hit 5.1 Gs as I have PBO enabled with +200. I am also idling lower now in the mid to late 30s. However, I bench lower in Cinebench and CPU Z bench. I only bench higher when I have voltage on Auto. Games are completely unchanged as I ran multiple benches. Maybe 1 FPS difference and that I can chalk up to fluke or cores not bouncing high enough for a split second.

Can someone explain how to use Curve Optimizer. I set it to -15 but my computer rebooted. However, when I override voltage significantly it is still running stable without any issues.

This is a very weird platform and I need to learn more about it but haven’t been able to find a video that shows how to clock on MSI Tomahawk X570.

Any help with links would be appreciated.

Meteor_of_War Dec 20, 2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338254469)
However, I bench lower in Cinebench and CPU Z bench. I only bench higher when I have voltage on Auto.

Yeah this is what I mentioned before to watch out for. Lowering voltages will drop performance.

You may not notice it now in GPU bound games at 1440p and up but in the future when CPU gets utilized more it will make a difference. Not a big deal if you're looking more to lower temps but just something to keep in mind.

Riptide Dec 20, 2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338254459)
Why not just do this? Will be easier and save you time, and all of us from reading your moronic remorse threads.

I'm not sure he's actually serious.

Seyiji Dec 20, 2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riptide (Post 1338254581)
I'm not sure he's actually serious.

Clearly the kac you know not. Done it will be :yep: Remorse he will find with lols to be had.

Nascar24 Dec 20, 2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338254391)
I am not quite happy with this 5900X. Will grab a 5950X and a 3090 when they are back in stock. Need more cores and higher fps.

That would be a total waste of cash all around. You will get 10 to 15 percent more I suppose if buying a 3090 but a new CPU isn't going to get you anything more in gaming.

KAC Dec 20, 2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338254591)
That would be a total waste of cash all around. You will get 10 to 15 percent more I suppose if buying a 3090 but a new CPU isn't going to get you anything more in gaming.

Ok just because you say so I will not do it.

demo Dec 21, 2020 02:49 PM

LoL upgrade from 3080 and 5900x to 3090 and 5950x for a gaming machine? That sounds like the biggest waste of money ever.

Dave Dec 21, 2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338254459)
Why not just do this? Will be easier and save you time, and all of us from reading your moronic remorse threads.



LMAO. made me spit my drink out :lol:

Meteor_of_War Dec 21, 2020 03:01 PM

I don't mind busting KAC's balls a little more than other people.

He dishes it out pretty good so he should be able to take it. :D

acroig Dec 21, 2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 1338254813)
LMAO. made me spit my drink out :lol:

Ditto! :lol:

Nascar24 Dec 21, 2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338254607)
Ok just because you say so I will not do it.

Ahhh chit......Its a done deal folks! 1 to 2 FPS increase coming!:cry:

Dave Dec 21, 2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338254833)
Ahhh chit......Its a done deal folks! 1 to 2 FPS increase coming!:cry:


So this one time on Rage3D - It's not Alientank's fault.

badsykes Dec 21, 2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338254808)
LoL upgrade from 3080 and 5900x to 3090 and 5950x for a gaming machine? That sounds like the biggest waste of money ever.


KAC want to surpass himself again until finish 2020 ... :D



Acroig do you have new awards ?

KAC Dec 22, 2020 12:25 AM

Finally seem to be having the computer dialed in at 5.1 Gs and 1.225 volts for daily use. Hitting 37 C idle and only pushing max 73 C after playing 1 hour of Immortals Fenyx Rising which as you can see can tax CPU pretty hard.


badsykes Dec 22, 2020 11:16 AM

Now that you stabilised the rig at optimum temps is time to enjoy gaming....
5 ghz for 12 cores ... not bad :)

KAC Dec 22, 2020 10:58 PM

Is it worth getting that EK AIO to replace my old Corsair H150i Pro? I saw the tear down and it seems it has more copper on it.

Nunz Dec 23, 2020 08:48 AM

If you need a new AIO, you should only buy EK AIO or Arctic's offering. The question is if you need a new AIO or not. You also can look at the Alphacool stuff, as they have configurable parts that can be used for a custom loop if you expand on it. It's called "Eisbaer"

KAC Dec 23, 2020 09:16 AM

Need is a dangerous word lol. I was pushing 83-84 C with auto volts but now have my computer dialed in properly. My max load temps are 70-73 C. Everything else is also running fine temperature wise.

The attraction to EK was the RGB on the AIO and possibility of lower temps due to a bigger block. I don’t like Arctic because of aesthetics and a crappy block design.

acroig Dec 23, 2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badsykes (Post 1338254906)
KAC want to surpass himself again until finish 2020 ... :D

Acroig do you have new awards ?

KAC seems to be liking his new CPU but seems hell bent on blowing lots of cash on a 3090.

Nunz Dec 23, 2020 09:49 AM

The block design on the Arctic is not "crappy"; it's superior to any other block on the market due to that VRM fan.

KAC Dec 23, 2020 09:53 AM

I was talking about aesthetics. I know about that VRM fan and in some cases can contribute to 5 C reduction in temps. However, it just looks bad to me.

Nunz Dec 23, 2020 12:11 PM

That makes more sense

KAC Dec 23, 2020 12:11 PM

Looked everywhere for an EK AIO. I can order direct from EKWB but they want 77 bucks for DHL shipping. Wtf? Can’t find it on Newegg or Amazon at MSRP. Any other websites worth trying?

KAC Dec 23, 2020 11:29 PM

So I have been trying to get the memory overclock going but been extremely unsuccessful. Can you tell me what would be faster (reason I ask is because I can't find an answer online and it will make me reset my bios through a screw driver which is a pain in the butt).

16-19-19-39 1T w/ tighter secondary timings
16-16-16-36 2T w/ tighter secondary timings
14-18-20-40 1T w/ tighter secondary timings (recommended by DRAM Calc for Ryzen 1.7.3)

I am at a loss as the first option does work for me.
Second option I tried w/ 1T instead of 2T and it failed.
Third option I haven't tried yet.

Memory overclocking is such a PITA.

MNB4800 Dec 23, 2020 11:36 PM

When it comes to memory timings and from my past tinkering on this, there is a priority and a combination effect that achieves best results at the same DRAM speeds but generally and roughly; CL > 1T > rest of timings. They are also harder to reduce in that order as well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com