Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Official VR Headset discussion (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34008998)

logical Nov 12, 2015 09:58 AM

Head fatigue will be a thing. Theres no way you would be able to game all day or long sessions with a VR headset on unless you were sitting down slumped back in your chair in a fashion that the chair is supporting your head and the VR with no effort from you.

Cream Nov 12, 2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1337789504)
Head fatigue will be a thing. Theres no way you would be able to game all day or long sessions with a VR headset on unless you were sitting down slumped back in your chair in a fashion that the chair is supporting your head and the VR with no effort from you.

I game in short stints anyway :-), Joys of having a young family.

Bitey Nov 13, 2015 01:51 AM

Quote:

You just need to dangle the headset from a bungee cord form the ceiling :D

OzzieBloke Nov 13, 2015 04:10 AM

Quote:

Yep, but at least it's a self-limiting system, prevent folks from wasting their entire childhoods/lives/marriages inside VR.

Or chiropractors everywhere start making money hand over fist when "VR-neck" becomes a thing...

badboy Nov 13, 2015 04:16 AM

Quote:

it will probably only take me 5 min to come so thats not a problem :bleh:

Cream Nov 13, 2015 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337789770)

LOL, just spat my coffee at my laptop.

Gregor976 Nov 13, 2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Head fatigue?

The most important things are fit and balance. I can wear a full face motorcycle helmet while constantly looking around, all day without any any issues. I've done it as often as I could for decades now, but I can't say that I wasn't nice and tired after a lot of those days.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm

Oranges and tangerines?

Texter's neck and welder's neck -are- actual things, but it's not about the weight so much as it is the combination of bad posture and repetitive stresses.

https://app.aws.org/wj/2002/12/feature3/

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337789770)

:lol:

logical Nov 13, 2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregor976 (Post 1337789899)
Head fatigue?

The most important things are fit and balance. I can wear a full face motorcycle helmet while constantly looking around, all day without any any issues. I've done it as often as I could for decades now, but I can't say that I wasn't nice and tired after a lot of those days.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm

Oranges and tangerines?

Texter's neck and welder's neck -are- actual things, but it's not about the weight so much as it is the combination of bad posture and repetitive stresses.

https://app.aws.org/wj/2002/12/feature3/

:lol:

Quote:

The center of gravity of a motorcycle helmet will affect how the weight is carried, which can make a lighter weight helmet feel heavy and vice versa.
You tell me where the weight is distributed.

The OR isnt a full head helmet where the weight is distributed on your whole head. Its front heavy.

This is also speaking from experience. You sort of have to lock your head into position to adjust for the added weight to the front of your head and use way more force than normal and over time fatigue sets in. Thats why I said head fatigue will be a thing unless you are slumped in a chair where you are not using effort to support the OR on your head.

Omega53 Nov 13, 2015 11:40 AM

Why the hell are used DK2's still so damn expensive on ebay. I see oculus isn't selling them anymore

Gregor976 Nov 13, 2015 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1337789914)
You tell me where the weight is distributed.

The OR isnt a full head helmet where the weight is distributed on your whole head. Its front heavy.

This is also speaking from experience. You sort of have to lock your head into position to adjust for the added weight to the front of your head and use way more force than normal and over time fatigue sets in. Thats why I said head fatigue will be a thing unless you are slumped in a chair where you are not using effort to support the OR on your head.

Its weight is "TBA, but lighter than 380g" (.84 lbs). That's the whole thing. Even a partial counterbalance would redistribute a significant portion of the weight to the top of the head, no doubt improving the feel and it would still be significantly lighter than the lightest motorcycle helmet.

How many hours have you put in? :)

logical Nov 13, 2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregor976 (Post 1337789944)
Its weight is "TBA, but lighter than 380g" (.84 lbs). That's the whole thing. Even a partial counterbalance would redistribute a significant portion of the weight to the top of the head, no doubt improving the feel and it would still be significantly lighter than the lightest motorcycle helmet.

How many hours have you put in? :)

Plenty of time on OR.

A lot of time on Samsung gear.

Very short time with Sony Morpheus at E3.

I dont think they will put a counterbalance on it cause it would just mess up the whole look of it. As it sits today its going to cause head fatigue whether you want to admit it or not. Im a seasoned gamer(I would say) that has no problem sitting in one position all day playing a game and not being bothered by any neck or back pains. But a few hours with the OR is more than enough to fatigue my head/neck to the point where its too uncomfortable to play. Once the initial excitement of having a new toy wears off you will feel the pain of having it on your head for extended amounts of time.

Gregor976 Nov 13, 2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1337789961)
Plenty of time on OR.

A lot of time on Samsung gear.

Very short time with Sony Morpheus at E3.

I dont think they will put a counterbalance on it cause it would just mess up the whole look of it. As it sits today its going to cause head fatigue whether you want to admit it or not. Im a seasoned gamer(I would say) that has no problem sitting in one position all day playing a game and not being bothered by any neck or back pains. But a few hours with the OR is more than enough to fatigue my head/neck to the point where its too uncomfortable to play. Once the initial excitement of having a new toy wears off you will feel the pain of having it on your head for extended amounts of time.

How do they compare by fit and feel when you were looking around?

logical Nov 13, 2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregor976 (Post 1337789964)
How do they compare by fit and feel when you were looking around?

OR is the best fit feeling one IMO.

Cream Nov 13, 2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1337789961)

I dont think they will put a counterbalance on it cause it would just mess up the whole look of it.

Look at the positives, you've just though of a nice add on for the rift that you could market :-)

Gregor976 Nov 13, 2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cream (Post 1337789972)
Look at the positives, you've just though of a nice add on for the rift that you could market :-)

:D

Yup.

logical Nov 13, 2015 01:03 PM

Gregor and I are going to be millionaires. :D

Gregor976 Nov 13, 2015 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1337789975)
Gregor and I are going to be millionaires. :D

It's inevitable. :cool:

badboy Dec 4, 2015 02:00 AM

Rock Band VR for Oculus Rift announced

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...or-oculus-rift

Seems cool :D

Cream Dec 4, 2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337798323)
Rock Band VR for Oculus Rift announced

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...or-oculus-rift

Seems cool :D

Gutted, this was ment to be a big announcement, I was expecting price/release date/final specs. Instead we get rock band VR. FFS.

badboy Dec 4, 2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cream (Post 1337798465)
Gutted, this was ment to be a big announcement, I was expecting price/release date/final specs. Instead we get rock band VR. FFS.

He said that it wasnt that so I wasnt expecting it to be any of those

I was expecting a big game and yeah Rock Band is a big game but not for me. But when you think about it its a good announcement for VR as its a game that everyone knows and probably wants to test out in VR.
It wasnt geared towards hardcore pc gamers

For release date I am expecting it to be pushed back... I dont think they will release it in Q1, they have only 3 more months. And by now they should know when they can release it

Exposed Dec 5, 2015 08:33 PM

Whats the difference between Samsung Gear VR, which is out now and powered by Oculus, and the regular Oculust rift?

Edit - Meh, can't play PC games looks like.

badboy Dec 6, 2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1337799003)
Whats the difference between Samsung Gear VR, which is out now and powered by Oculus, and the regular Oculust rift?

Edit - Meh, can't play PC games looks like.

Samsung gear is just for mobile :p

badboy Dec 11, 2015 02:11 AM

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/674983291527671808

EVE: Valkyrie will be bundled with Oculus :drool: :drool:

Cream Dec 11, 2015 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337801306)
https://twitter.com/oculus/status/674983291527671808

EVE: Valkyrie will be bundled with Oculus :drool: :drool:

^^^ With pre-orders.

Getting frustrated by being told what we are going to get with it, xbox control, game...

I want release date, spec and price.......:runaway:

Seyiji Dec 11, 2015 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cream (Post 1337801319)
^^^ With pre-orders.

Getting frustrated by being told what we are going to get with it, xbox control, game...

I want release date, spec and price.......:runaway:

I want one without the fluff. I don't want Eve or a Xbone controller :\

Gotta inflate that price though :nag:

badboy Dec 11, 2015 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seyiji (Post 1337801321)
I want one without the fluff. I don't want Eve or a Xbone controller :\

Gotta inflate that price though :nag:

They must include an xbox controller so that the VR game devs have something to aim for. Now they know everyone who owns rift has a x1 controller so they can make their games around that.

look at VR more like a console. They want it to be a whole package that you plug in and play

logical Dec 11, 2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337801322)
look at VR more like a console. They want it to be a whole package that you plug in and play

But Oculus can never be that.

Mangler Dec 11, 2015 11:20 AM

I'm a teeny bit worried about the room VR thing that seems to be heavily pushed on the PC side, at least Sony seems to realize that many people will not be able/wlling to dedicate that much space to VR.

The **** looks cool, I will admit that, but I think I'm fine with mostly headtracking only VR.

Destroy Dec 11, 2015 09:59 PM

Man, is this thing ever going to come out? Bridges have been built in less time.

OzzieBloke Dec 12, 2015 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destroy (Post 1337801690)
Man, is this thing ever going to come out? Bridges have been built in less time.

Patience, dude, patience. It'll be here February.

HTC/Vive has been pushed off until April, which might cost them a foot in the door early in the game against the OcRift.