Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Official VR Headset discussion (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34008998)

night Jan 29, 2015 12:54 PM

DK2 is a great demo... proof of concept, that this is real and going to work very well and that it is being done right. But trust me, it isn't worth owning for regular use. Playing a space sim with almost all black background hides most of the screen door. Much else and it would wear on you quickly.
If they had released Crescent Bay on the other hand...

Exposed Jan 30, 2015 11:47 AM

Yeah, if they ever release the Crescent development kit, I will jump on that one.

noko Feb 26, 2015 06:53 PM

Maybe Valve will make the Rift Obsolete before it is even launched:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gam...beater-1285895

This to me is more like Valve, releasing a rather big surprise with the steam machines marching for release. Hmmm if only they could slip in HL3 as well :drool:

What if the real next generation of gaming is on Linux :lol:

Argoon1981 Feb 26, 2015 07:21 PM

Was able to test the DK2 today on my University it was on display there, playing the roller coaster demo, everything about the relatively low resolution is true but even so the sense of 3D depth and the presence was fantastic!! I literally felt it on my stomach, and i grabbed my chair when the cart was making turns, i only experimented it for 2 or so minutes because was on a worry, so perhaps the resolution would not be that noticeable after some time, but even so i love it. About the 3D depth again, i have a 3D screen and is nothing like that, is totally different, the only way i can describe it is that just like real life 3D but at lower rez.

noko Feb 26, 2015 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argoon1981 (Post 1337673601)
Was able to test the DK2 today on my University it was on display there, playing the roller coaster demo, everything about the relatively low resolution is true but even so the sense of 3D depth and the presence was fantastic!! I literally felt it on my stomach, and i grabbed my chair when the cart was making turns, i only experimented it for 2 or so minutes because was on a worry, so perhaps the resolution would not be that noticeable after some time, but even so i love it. About the 3D depth again, i have a 3D screen and is nothing like that, is totally different, the only way i can describe it is that just like real life 3D but at lower rez.

Yeah, I can't wait for someone to release these already. Man the wait is getting frustrating. Now I wonder if their will be a FreeSync/GSync version :D. Would make it much more immersive.

gamefoo21 Mar 2, 2015 12:55 PM

Since 'Freesync' is just AMD's name for a piece of the displayport standard, I'm sure we'll see crippled G-sync versions first... :bleh:

night Mar 2, 2015 05:19 PM

pretty sure it will already do that. it already uses, by necessity, the anti-blur back light pulsing.

noko Mar 2, 2015 09:54 PM

:lol:

jolle Mar 2, 2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night (Post 1337675411)
pretty sure it will already do that. it already uses, by necessity, the anti-blur back light pulsing.

they black out the backlight between frames to remove ghosting yes, it doesnt have anything to do with adapting the refreshrate to the gpu though.
the effect of combining the two would be quite contrary and flickery i guess, at 30-50 hz the strobing would probably melt your eyes. (Unless it were decoupled from the dynamic refreshrate)
the holy 90hz grail for vr probably also means you ideally want the framerate around there too.

night Mar 3, 2015 08:35 AM

well ya, and they said crescent bay was running 90hz screens long ago.
I didnt say they were the same thing, but they are 2 huge features to keep the effect believable and not make people sick. Which they have talked a ton about keeping the motion sickness at bay.

I really highly doubt they won't do some g/freesync-iness. Most people won't have a comp that can push 3D to that level, but they still wanna sell 'em.

Mangler Mar 14, 2015 07:34 AM

Looks like the Crescent Bay prototype or whatever it should be called is also using two screens.

https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/576516011228143616

badboy May 6, 2015 07:26 AM

Rift is coming Q1 2016 !

Quote:

oday, were incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

In the weeks ahead, well be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, well share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.
https://www.oculus.com/blog/first-lo...pping-q1-2016/

OzzieBloke May 6, 2015 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337706856)

Hrm... let's see what Valve does with this since they intend to have the HTC VR headset out before Christmas.

What I *really* want to see on the final OcRift is adjustable optics that can be dialed in for folks who wear glasses, so they don't have to whilst using it. Otherwise I might just have to try contact lenses again.

badboy May 6, 2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzzieBloke (Post 1337706858)
Hrm... let's see what Valve does with this since they intend to have the HTC VR headset out before Christmas.

What I *really* want to see on the final OcRift is adjustable optics that can be dialed in for folks who wear glasses, so they don't have to whilst using it. Otherwise I might just have to try contact lenses again.

I think the final Oculus will have better specs/design than the final HTC VR

But I am just guessing :p

AllexxisF1 May 6, 2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337706856)

About F-ing time.

I will be the first putting in a pre-order. Sales of this thing are going to skyrocket.

|MaguS| May 6, 2015 12:58 PM

No interest until the software is there.

OzzieBloke May 6, 2015 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 1337707028)
No interest until the software is there.

There are already games now that come Rift-Ready out of the box. The most recent being Dirt Rally, which according to at least two reviewers who have used the Rift on it, say it makes the game so much better to play.

|MaguS| May 6, 2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzzieBloke (Post 1337707171)
There are already games now that come Rift-Ready out of the box. The most recent being Dirt Rally, which according to at least two reviewers who have used the Rift on it, say it makes the game so much better to play.

That's one game that I have no interest in. Next...

Chuck May 6, 2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 (Post 1337706948)
About F-ing time.

I will be the first putting in a pre-order. Sales of this thing are going to skyrocket.

x2

Can't wait to preorder the thing. Have been looking forward to this for years now.

OzzieBloke May 6, 2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 1337707220)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_Rift_support

night May 7, 2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 1337707220)

Sims are the main, arguably only, reason to have VR.
Every other genre is gonna spend a long time trying to make it work *and* be worth it somehow.

Cream May 7, 2015 12:09 PM

Do we have any idea how much it's going to cost?

jolle May 7, 2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night (Post 1337707509)
Sims are the main, arguably only, reason to have VR.
Every other genre is gonna spend a long time trying to make it work *and* be worth it somehow.

Yeah, I think generally games where your "avatar" is in a seat of some sort, controlling something, will work best. (Elite is pretty cool in VR).
Atleast as long as youre sitting down.
Ive fiddled a bit with a crude mech game prototype in Unity and put in a quick and dirty Oculus implementation, and tried it out at some friends studio who has a DK2.
It worked pretty well.
Also tried another prototype where you control a hovercraft type of thing, but its so fast and nimble that I got a bit motion sick pretty fast from zipping around with it.
So lesson learned, Big slow stompy mech > Nimble hovercraft.

OzzieBloke May 7, 2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolle (Post 1337707519)
Yeah, I think generally games where your "avatar" is in a seat of some sort, controlling something, will work best. (Elite is pretty cool in VR).
Atleast as long as youre sitting down.
Ive fiddled a bit with a crude mech game prototype in Unity and put in a quick and dirty Oculus implementation, and tried it out at some friends studio who has a DK2.
It worked pretty well.
Also tried another prototype where you control a hovercraft type of thing, but its so fast and nimble that I got a bit motion sick pretty fast from zipping around with it.
So lesson learned, Big slow stompy mech > Nimble hovercraft.

Yep. Given that I prefer to play slow, exploratory-type games in the first place, such games would be well suited to OcRift.

Exposed May 7, 2015 09:46 PM

Cool 1 more year.

Evileh May 9, 2015 08:46 PM

I got to mess with this thing a few days ago. Thing is bad ass.

0091/2 May 16, 2015 12:47 PM

I just read the Rift will runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays.
https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/

OzzieBloke May 16, 2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0091/2 (Post 1337711972)
I just read the Rift will runs at 21601200 at 90Hz split over dual displays.
https://www.oculus.com/blog/powering-the-rift/

So, 1920 x 1200 per eye. That's enough for me.

0091/2 May 16, 2015 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzzieBloke (Post 1337712135)
So, 1920 x 1200 per eye. That's enough for me.

Yea. It's enough for me too. I hope a single AMD 390x is enough for a good experience. This thing will also save me a lot of desk space.:D Will people want multi-monitor setup for gaming anymore?:bleh:

kboye May 17, 2015 07:43 AM

uh, I read that as 2160 (/2) x1200 per display / eye. Half width per eye (1080x1200 x 2).