Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   -Post pics of your computer- (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33744307)

shadow001 May 9, 2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1336578615)
Aluminum is heavy stuff! Sure, it's lighter then steel, but that's only a relative statement.

It started out pretty light....When the case was empty that is...:lol:

Did quite a lot of modifications from custom screws, to making my own mounting hardware and modifying other types of mounting hardware for uses they weren't originally intended for....I really had to use my imagination in some problem areas:D

But the CPU's are now rolling at 4.0 Ghz even at 200Mhz BCLK and all 24 GB of ram at an umbelievable 1950Mhz with low timings, with full load temps never hitting 60*C....It was a lot of work and cheap it isn't, but it's kicking butt and was a good learning experience..

Now let's see how far i can take the video cards and fully realise all the potential of the system....:evil:

BababooeyHTJ May 9, 2011 06:44 PM

I will be interested in hearing about the temps that you see under full load once you get everything set up.

Also what do you plan on using for fans and for fan control?

shadow001 May 9, 2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ (Post 1336578743)
I will be interested in hearing about the temps that you see under full load once you get everything set up.

Also what do you plan on using for fans and for fan control?

Well you already see the 4 fans in the picture bolted to the radiators....There's 4 scythe fans each rated to up to 110 CFM at 2000 RPM's with decent static pressure...

Pump wise for the GPU loop is just above the radiator in that last 5 1/4 bay....A koolance RP 1000 BK pump/ reservoir combo wich uses koolance's higher flow and pressure PMP 400 pump.

Space is at a premium in this build and this is pretty much the most powerfull and compact pump/ reservoir out there....Outputs about 2 1/2 gallons per minute....Costs a little over 200$.

Fan controler wise, there's this:

Touch screen fan controler with 6 independent temperature sensors and the ability to shut down the system directly even when i'm not there, if temperatures peak past a certain point or the water pump fails(unlikely, but you never know)....

Auric May 9, 2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clerick (Post 1336575817)

Quote:

Originally Posted by clerick (Post 1336575825)
I just noticed my cat at the bottom right :lol:!

I like how kitteh is peeking into frame la Pedobear. :D

Dungeoncrawler May 10, 2011 09:20 PM

I've still got my 2600k running at stock. Could I get some settings for OC'ing this puppy plz? I'm running it under the H70; thanks.

moshpit May 10, 2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336579913)
I've still got my 2600k running at stock. Could I get some settings for OC'ing this puppy plz? I'm running it under the H70; thanks.

Yes. Set multiplier for "44" and set nothing else. You are now running 4.4Ghz. Stability test it with the standard fare of Prime95, IBT, or OCCT, whichever you like. It should pass with flying colors at that low of an OC, but if not, nudge a hair more vcore into it. If you want more then that, a little more tweaking is involved, but try that first and see if it doesn't sate any needs for more power. If not, we can always go further.

shadow001 May 10, 2011 11:10 PM

Getting closer and closer to completely done.....Just waiting for 3 of these:

:D

moshpit May 10, 2011 11:15 PM

I'll be honest wit ya, Shadow, to have built such a rig and NOT enable your system specs tab is almost just sad. I know you've listed the specs here on Rage3D and even other forums, but wouldn't it be nice to not make people go digging them up when you talk about this beasty? It's so pretty, you should put up that system specs tab as a constant method of showing off your beastly build! Let them read it and weep :D

And, even as I absolutely LOVE your build's quality and total overkill approach, I still think you'll find it quite difficult getting everything out of that monster that it's capable of unless you have some INSANE databases to crunch WHILE gaming on triple monitors. And I'm not talking lowly MS Access DBs, I mean full on massive SQL/SAP database searches and reorgs.

I THINK I could actually get all 24 threads flying at 100% (constructively, not silly benchmarks) on your rig, but not on any kind of home use situation. Do you do any kind of heavy workstation work like professional 3D rendering or something similar beyond just gaming and benchmarking? If not, maybe consider getting into something like that, you'll feel like your getting your money's worth for sure.

Dungeoncrawler May 10, 2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1336579921)
Yes. Set multiplier for "44" and set nothing else. You are now running 4.4Ghz. Stability test it with the standard fare of Prime95, IBT, or OCCT, whichever you like. It should pass with flying colors at that low of an OC, but if not, nudge a hair more vcore into it. If you want more then that, a little more tweaking is involved, but try that first and see if it doesn't sate any needs for more power. If not, we can always go further.

Kewl; thanks mosh :)

Quote:

Getting closer and closer to completely done.....Just waiting for 3 of
these:

Question: Indulging a water-nOOb, what is the schematic on your loop (waterflow)? Do you setup a seperate loop for the proc and the gpu's or does the whole thing fit together?

shadow001 May 10, 2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1336580010)
I'll be honest wit ya, Shadow, to have built such a rig and NOT enable your system specs tab is almost just sad. I know you've listed the specs here on Rage3D and even other forums, but wouldn't it be nice to not make people go digging them up when you talk about this beasty? It's so pretty, you should put up that system specs tab as a constant method of showing off your beastly build! Let them read it and weep :D

And, even as I absolutely LOVE your build's quality and total overkill approach, I still think you'll find it quite difficult getting everything out of that monster that it's capable of unless you have some INSANE databases to crunch WHILE gaming on triple monitors. And I'm not talking lowly MS Access DBs, I mean full on massive SQL/SAP database searches and reorgs.

I THINK I could actually get all 24 threads flying at 100% (constructively, not silly benchmarks) on your rig, but not on any kind of home use situation. Do you do any kind of heavy workstation work like professional 3D rendering or something similar beyond just gaming and benchmarking? If not, maybe consider getting into something like that, you'll feel like your getting your money's worth for sure.

Apart from audio and video encoding, archiving and compressing/decompressing files, wich really use all the cores i can throw at them, the system is used to also game even if it's completely overkill for it, and yes, also crazy benchmarking sessions with multithreaded applicatons....A guy i know wants to use it to crack the windows rainbow table(the system windows uses to create passwords..:lol: )

Btw, i found out just by sheer coincidence that 3Dmark 11 can actually use more than 12 threads in the physics and combined rendering tests, as i score higher in those last 2 than a 980X running at 6.4 Ghz using liquid nitrogen cooling...Here's a hint.....Over 50 FPS in each of those test runs, and i think that once the video cards have their coolers installed, a P20000 score is doable....:eek:

It's the do anything, anytime and do it extremely well machine....No corners cut in this build and i've been putting it gradually together for nearly a month now as the parts slowly arrive....I'll enable the system specs tab once the beast is completely put together.:)

moshpit May 10, 2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336580018)
Kewl; thanks mosh :)

Which motherboard is with it? I ask because Asus creates a little multiplier confusion. There's 2 separate places to set it, and you have to be careful about not setting it incorrectly. On the Asus AI page in the eUFI, it allows you to set the multi for the Turbo boost, and also allows you to pick the standard single core allowed to reach that speed or all cores allowed. BUT, on the Advanced page, the REAL multiplier is also changeable. But this is NOT the Turbo speed, setting this multi removes your CPUs ability to run the middle speeds between it's lowest 1.6Ghz and it's highest 4.4Ghz. Using the Turbo multi instead, along with setting to All Cores means the CPU will actually have a nice mid-way point it turbos up to when the cores are busy, but not totally slammed (<100% on any core). It saves the top speed for when any of the cores starts nailing 100%.

The only game I have that pushes my CPU up to it's full 5Ghz speed is Civilization V. It's the only one that makes any of the cores actually nail the full on 100% needed to kick Turbo to max. I play Civilization V on the very largest maps, with a mass number of city states and 2 other large empires to battle against. Needless to say, a massive CPU loaded game, and really the ONLY reason I've kept my CPU overclocked so high as it's practically useless for the CPU to be this fast in most other games.

shadow001 May 10, 2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336580018)

Question: Indulging a water-nOOb, what is the schematic on your loop (waterflow)? Do you setup a seperate loop for the proc and the gpu's or does the whole thing fit together?

Seperate loops for the CPU's, chipset and VRM's...Goes like this:

Top radiator---> pump---> CPU 1----> rear radiator---> CPU 2---> motherboard block---> CPU 2 VRM block---> top radiator.

Video card wise it's like this:

Reservoir---> Pump---> GPU1--->GPU 2--->GPU 3---> front radiator---2nd radiator behind the first---> reservoir.

They're seperate loops basically...

moshpit May 10, 2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336580022)
Apart from audio and video encoding, archiving and compressing/decompressing files, wich really use all the cores i can throw at them, the system is used to also game even if it's completely overkill for it, and yes, also crazy benchmarking sessions with multithreaded applicatons....A guy i know wants to use it to crack the windows rainbow table(the system windows uses to create passwords..:lol: )

Btw, i found out just by sheer coincidence that 3Dmark 11 can actually use more than 12 threads in the physics and combined rendering tests, as i score higher in those last 2 than a 980X running at 6.4 Ghz using liquid nitrogen cooling...Here's a hint.....Over 50 FPS in each of those test runs, and i think that once the video cards have their coolers installed, a P20000 score is doable....:eek:

It's the do anything, anytime and do it extremely well machine....No corners cut in this build and i've been putting it gradually together for nearly a month now as the parts slowly arrive....I'll enable the system specs tab once the beast is completely put together.:)

That's a good workload then. If you do a LOT of encoding, I can see it being more useful. I'm a little stunned by how much encoding you must be doing though if your slamming THAT many cores. Hours upon hours upon hours, and in parallel with other encoding projects running simultaneously.

The reason I say that is, one can crunch a blue ray movie into an H.264/AVI in around 15-18 minutes if done using a CPU based trancoder on my i7 920 at stock, and around 5-7 minutes if done using one of the buggy, but BRUTALLY fast GPU based transcoders.

edit: The reason I used the i7 920 as an example, and not my SnB, is because my 920 handles all media duties for my home LAN. I've never tested my SnB with any transcoding jobs.

shadow001 May 10, 2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1336580025)

The only game I have that pushes my CPU up to it's full 5Ghz speed is Civilization V. It's the only one that makes any of the cores actually nail the full on 100% needed to kick Turbo to max. I play Civilization V on the very largest maps, with a mass number of city states and 2 other large empires to battle against. Needless to say, a massive CPU loaded game, and really the ONLY reason I've kept my CPU overclocked so high as it's practically useless for the CPU to be this fast in most other games.

Yup, civilization likes CPU's that much is for sure...

The main benefit for water cooling, considering the cost and the amount of work setting this up(patience and being methodical is a must here), isn't just the potential overclocks it can allow, but the silence even when running at these extreme speeds and that at least CPU wise, it never goes above 55*C with all 12 cores/24 threads floored to 100% load...

That's 40*C under the point where the CPU throttles down to protect itself under normal scenarios, and it's not even close to hitting that....:lol:

I want as close to the same thing for the GPU's once that loop is finished, so no more 90*C under hard loads for them too, or having to put up with fan noise of any kind coming from the stock coolers... Powerfull and extremely quiet is the name of the game :D

moshpit May 11, 2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336580032)
Yup, civilization likes CPU's that much is for sure...

Indeed, and my current mods to Civ V make it a CPU abuse-fest. All the mods out there supposedly attempting to lock unit maintenance to 1GP per unit per round are broken, by round 500 you're paying 100+GP per unit already. I finally fixed that and now by round 500, I'm still only paying 1GP per unit per round. This means the map has MASSIVE forces moving all over it, fighting it out and nuking the smack out of each other. Brings CPUs to their knees :drool:

shadow001 May 11, 2011 05:53 PM

Further improved the layout and wiring as well as i found a neat solution for a tubing problem i was having, but here's all that's needed to know

4.18Ghz clocks on both CPU's at 1.35 volts, using LinX with maximum memory amount, wich in this case means 17+ GB of it, full load temperatures with all cores at 100% for 40 minutes is averaging 60*C.....Fans spinning at only 60%, wich is only 1300 RPM and pretty quiet, so i could lower the temperatures further by increasing the speed with the fan controlers....

Keep in mind that i might have to do just that once summer rolls in, and we have those really hot days when even A/C's struggle to keep the room cool, but it's nice to know that the cooling in the PC has enough wiggle room for those worst case scenarios, and assuming i load up all the cores to 100%....:D

Dungeoncrawler May 11, 2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1336580025)
Which motherboard is with it?

I have the Asus MaximusIV Extreme P67 B3.

moshpit May 12, 2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336580865)
I have the Asus MaximusIV Extreme P67 B3.

Then just keep in mind the points I made above about Turbo multis versus normal multis.

demo May 14, 2011 08:44 AM

I love your rad set up shadow, looks leet :drool:

CurrentlyPissed May 16, 2011 12:13 AM

M17xR3

Here are Pics of the new Laptop.. Alienware M17xR3.

Specs: Intel i7 2630QM 2.0ghz/2.8ghz Turbo (Sandy Bridge), AMD 6970m 2GB, 4GB 1333mhz ram, 1920x1080 WLED LCD.

And here is a video of the color change I made for the keyboard. You will have to excuse the music lol. It was a commercial or something on TV.

shadow001 May 16, 2011 01:48 PM

Got the 3 video card blocks in and i'll be out for the next few hours at least to install them, fill up the system and bleed the whole thing....Will post pictures once it's done....:)

moshpit May 16, 2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336584892)
Got the 3 video card blocks in and i'll be out for the next few hours at least to install them, fill up the system and bleed the whole thing....Will post pictures once it's done....:)

OOoo, YAY! I love pics of drag racers! All that chrome sticking up everywhere just gives one a feeling of manly power, GRRRRR! :p :lol: ;)

Dungeoncrawler May 16, 2011 04:12 PM

Seriously thinking of adding a proc block to my system. Any suggestions on a good brand?

moshpit May 16, 2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336585040)
Seriously thinking of adding a proc block to my system. Any suggestions on a good brand?

Danger Den :D

Mangler May 16, 2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336585040)

Swiftech, koolance, ek and heatkiller are the best brands for cpu cooling atm.

Imo, I would go for swiftech or Ek since they have the best mounting systems for their cpu blocks.

Greasy May 16, 2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1336585071)
Swiftech, koolance, ek and heatkiller are the best brands for cpu cooling atm.

Yep, any of these are great setups.

Koolance also offers quick connect barbs. They're pricey, but they really do seem to make loop maintenance a breeze. I've got a set, but have yet to install them into my loop. <insert lazy> :p

shadow001 May 16, 2011 10:04 PM

And here they come....First one:

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCN0065.jpg

It spawned a twin:

Omg they're triplets:

And a couple of pictures of them installed in the system to finalise:

Did a quick run with 3D mark without overclocking yet just to set a baseline and the temperatures under load don't exceed 45*C for the GPU's, but i'll run more games and benchmarks to see the temperatures, but at first view it seems i got plenty of room to play and it's quiet as a mouse.....

Video cards running at 90*C under load are officially banished, and i recovered 3 PCI-e slots since they're not blocked by the stock heatsinks no more....:)

moshpit May 16, 2011 10:08 PM

*waves checkered flag* And he's off! Shadow001 has NO competition on the drag strip today, he's killing ALL competitors by choking them on his smoke! :D

Seriously, now that you're water cooled on the GPUs, you BETTER drag race that beast! If you're not at the top page of 3Dmark11 after you find your max GPU clocks, I'll be sad :(

Edit: Still think ya outta Phase Change cool those CPUs. You have the LAST generation of Intel that likes sub-zero cooling, not taking advantage of it is almost wasteful. Sub-zero overclocking is becoming extinct for Sandy Bridge and all following Intel CPUs, AMD will be the only sub-zero friendly CPUs from here on out.

Edit #2: Never mind on the Phase Change cooling. I can only imagine how heavy that rig is already.

Greasy May 16, 2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1336585402)

Edit #2: Never mind on the Phase Change cooling. I can only imagine how heavy that rig is already.

It would take you and ThirdEye to pick it up as it is. :lol:

moshpit May 16, 2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy (Post 1336585427)
It would take you and ThirdEye to pick it up as it is. :lol:

LOL!!!!