Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   -Post pics of your computer- (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33744307)

Jokerzwild May 21, 2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clerick (Post 1336590392)
I decided to cat proof my pc since he is so curious.

Haha! That's perfect, and looks pretty cool too :cool:.

shadow001 May 21, 2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviphysics (Post 1336590443)
In terms of how far you go, you need only run until your temperatures really stabilize. Probably at least several hours to be sure.

If they get too high you need only to turn your overclocks down.

I did over 2 hours of the heaven demo without interruption at all, and the 65*C temperature was the peak and held that temperature was constant for almost the entire duration with very little variation, and we can't say that it isn't a demanding DX11 techdemo/benchmark program...

The very first pass on the program is when the temperatures were still slowly and very gradually rising, then it stabilized and stayed that way for the next 20+ passes.

BababooeyHTJ May 22, 2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1336590095)
To Hap who just asked me yesterday or today in a different thread - "Why do you bother with all that long OCCT/Prime95 testing when all you do is game?"

This is why. So I'm not fending off these kinds of questions.

Edit: When people ask me "But are you REALLY running stable at that speed?" my answer can invariably be "I did every accepted stability test AND went further with combinations of those tests run together, HELL yeah it's bloody well stable!!!"

So when a game crashes to desktop you can be 100% sure that it's not your system and not complaining in the PC gaming section about a game being unstable when it is really your system. ;)

I had one overclock on a P45 that passed small fft but the MCH was mildly unstable. It ran fine for a while and eventually I started seeing artifacts in a couple of games. Even going back to stock speeds didn't fix it due to what I assume would be data corruption. I had to fine tune my oc and reinstall the os.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336590902)
I did over 2 hours of the heaven demo without interruption at all, and the 65*C temperature was the peak and held that temperature was constant for almost the entire duration with very little variation, and we can't say that it isn't a demanding DX11 techdemo/benchmark program...

The very first pass on the program is when the temperatures were still slowly and very gradually rising, then it stabilized and stayed that way for the next 20+ passes.

I think that it's safe to assume that is about what you will see in actual gaming. On a side note have you tried GPUtool's artifact scanner? It is my favorite utility to stress test a video card. In fullscreen it is just a bit more stressful than actual games.

I'm with you I never run furmark for more than a few minutes. I saw what that did with the vrms on my GTX280 on a uni-sink and there is no way for me to monitor them via software on my current card.

moshpit May 22, 2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ (Post 1336591264)
So when a game crashes to desktop you can be 100% sure that it's not your system and not complaining in the PC gaming section about a game being unstable when it is really your system. ;)

Hallaluya, brother!

shadow001 May 22, 2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ (Post 1336591264)
I think that it's safe to assume that is about what you will see in actual gaming. On a side note have you tried GPUtool's artifact scanner? It is my favorite utility to stress test a video card. In fullscreen it is just a bit more stressful than actual games.

I'm with you I never run furmark for more than a few minutes. I saw what that did with the vrms on my GTX280 on a uni-sink and there is no way for me to monitor them via software on my current card.

I also used MSI's kombustor stress program, wich looks like furmark but also tests more features rather than just a spinning furry doughnut, and got the same temperature readings i did when running the heaven tech demo, so i got a long way to go until temperatures are even close to what they would be using the cards stock cooler.

Basically, if the overclock fails and the program crashes to the desktop, it won't be bacause the cards are overheating, but simply because they cards just can't handle the speeds period.

Roadhog May 22, 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336591320)
Basically, if the overclock fails and the program crashes to the desktop, it won't be bacause the cards are overheating, but simply because they cards just can't handle the speeds period.

You know the higher you overclock, the cooler the card needs to be to stay stable. Why do you think people use liquid nitrogen. lol

shadow001 May 22, 2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1336591390)
You know the higher you overclock, the cooler the card needs to be to stay stable. Why do you think people use liquid nitrogen. lol

Liquid nitrogen brings it's own set of problems, just like any other sub 0*C cooling method....Water condensation build up from the moisture in the air itself and freezing on any exposed metal, hence why you see all that ice forming around the pots for the CPU and GPU, but motherboards don't particularly like it for obvious reasons, and those who attempt it have to use tons of insulating material precisely for that problem alone....

Add the fact that you always have to top up the pots every 10~15 sec or so as the liquid nitrogen evaporates very quickly as it's absorbing the heat produced by the CPU and GPU(and even the ambient air for that matter)...

Add the special storage containers that liquid nitrogen requires, wich are usually rented and that a lot of LN2 will be used in the process of creating that new world record....

The most i'd ever try beyond straight water cooling would be using a water chiller made of an old A/C unit, but there the evaporator is modded to fit into a container that's part of the water loop, and the pressure switches left alone so the compressor works just like it always designed to, so that the temperature of the evaporator drops to just above 0*C(doing the same for the water in the cooling loop along with it), thus avoiding condensation issues using Ln2 or pelts...Obviously, the condenser has to be mounted outside the house with it's own fans to release the heat produced....With a lot of planning and elbow grease, it could work but that's as far as i'd take it....

nycdarkness May 22, 2011 02:54 PM

Anyone else notice that Shadow is missing a 580?:D

Roadhog May 22, 2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336591439)
Liquid nitrogen brings it's own set of problems, just like any other sub 0*C cooling method....Water condensation build up from the moisture in the air itself and freezing on any exposed metal, hence why you see all that ice forming around the pots for the CPU and GPU, but motherboards don't particularly like it for obvious reasons, and those who attempt it have to use tons of insulating material precisely for that problem alone....

Add the fact that you always have to top up the pots every 10~15 sec or so as the liquid nitrogen evaporates very quickly as it's absorbing the heat produced by the CPU and GPU(and even the ambient air for that matter)...

Add the special storage containers that liquid nitrogen requires, wich are usually rented and that a lot of LN2 will be used in the process of creating that new world record....

The most i'd ever try beyond straight water cooling would be using a water chiller made of an old A/C unit, but there the evaporator is modded to fit into a container that's part of the water loop, and the pressure switches left alone so the compressor works just like it always designed to, so that the temperature of the evaporator drops to just above 0*C(doing the same for the water in the cooling loop along with it), thus avoiding condensation issues using Ln2 or pelts...Obviously, the condenser has to be mounted outside the house with it's own fans to release the heat produced....With a lot of planning and elbow grease, it could work but that's as far as i'd take it....

lol. you really can't understand simple statements can you...

Here, let me break it down.

You might be able to hit 950mhz @ 75c load

You might be able to hit 1ghz @ 50c load

Pretty simple to understand for the average person.

shadow001 May 22, 2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1336591457)
Anyone else notice that Shadow is missing a 580?:D

:P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1336591458)
lol. you really can't understand simple statements can you...

Here, let me break it down.

You might be able to hit 950mhz @ 75c load

You might be able to hit 1ghz @ 50c load

Pretty simple to understand for the average person.

I said what keeps the card from eventually clocking higher isn't because it's overheating, and what you said has nothing to do with the card overheating in the first place, but how to get higher clocks period, in this case by going the sub 0 cooling route by means of liquid nitrogen..... Under those extreme mesures, the GPU is always operating well under 0*C even under load...:p ;) :lol:

Roadhog May 22, 2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336591548)
:P

I said what keeps the card from eventually clocking higher isn't because it's overheating, and what you said has nothing to do with the card overheating in the first place, but how to get higher clocks period, in this case by going the sub 0 cooling route by means of liquid nitrogen..... Under those extreme mesures, the GPU is always operating well under 0*C even under load...:p ;) :lol:

:nuts:
You also added because they just can't handle the speeds. Sure, they can't handle the speeds at your high temps, but if you drop the temp like 20c+ it might just handle them.

shadow001 May 22, 2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1336591559)
:nuts:
You also added because they just can't handle the speeds. Sure, they can't handle the speeds at your high temps, but if you drop the temp like 20c+ it might just handle them.

Well if 65*C is considered high temps under load at 925Mhz, then what about the stock cooler and people still wanting to hit 850~900 Mhz clocks using nothing but that, wich by then, those GPU's are probably pushing well over 95*C under load....Suicide mode perhaps?..;)

Kinda puts it into perpective when you're worried about my overclocking performance and the GPU's not yet even getting into the 70*C range yet at 925Mhz doesn't it....:D

Nunz May 22, 2011 10:26 PM

Shadow, I have to say that Roadhog is right.

The cards might do 950Mhz core at 75c, but that doesn't mean the cards will do 1Ghz at 75c. At 50c, it's possible.

Just because the cards can go up to 90c, doesn't mean at extreme clocks they can withstand that heat.

shadow001 May 23, 2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1336591736)
Shadow, I have to say that Roadhog is right.

The cards might do 950Mhz core at 75c, but that doesn't mean the cards will do 1Ghz at 75c. At 50c, it's possible.

Just because the cards can go up to 90c, doesn't mean at extreme clocks they can withstand that heat.

It can be a variable i suppose, but we were talking in overheating terms anyhow....The card isn't overheating in either case, as they were designed to operate at those temperatures.

I'll actually put up a picture of the original GPU cooler in my GTX580's tomorrow, wich is based on the reference card and just how small this thing is..

In any case, i'm already up to 950 Mhz on all 3 cards at 1.150 millivolts and load temperatures are up to 70*C, but i'll run it across more applications before deeming it stable....If this is as far as they can go, i'll be plenty happy as it is a 180Mhz GPU overclock over stock anyway...

Nunz May 23, 2011 12:19 AM

Indeed, just backing up his statement there.

Roadhog May 23, 2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336591808)
In any case, i'm already up to 950 Mhz on all 3 cards at 1.150 millivolts .

wow, 1.150 MV, thats extremely low voltage. :p

Nunz May 23, 2011 09:30 AM

That's actually doing pretty good, When I had a single GTX480 with the Zotac cooler on it, I was running 875/2050 at 1100mv so he's doing better than I was.

shadow001 May 23, 2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1336592053)
That's actually doing pretty good, When I had a single GTX480 with the Zotac cooler on it, I was running 875/2050 at 1.100mv so he's doing better than I was.

Stock for the cards is 1.050 millivolts, so i'm up just under 10% over stock voltages for 950Mhz, wich is a 23% increase in clock speeds over stock....Not too shabby, but i'll increase speeds slowly and gradually over the coming days and find out the paractical day to day limit.

The modified Bios allows up to 1.213 millivolts, so i still have some room left there....:D

Roadhog May 23, 2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336592094)
Stock for the cards is 1.050 millivolts, so i'm up just under 10% over stock voltages for 950Mhz, wich is a 23% increase in clock speeds over stock....Not too shabby, but i'll increase speeds slowly and gradually over the coming days and find out the paractical day to day limit.

The modified Bios allows up to 1.213 millivolts, so i still have some room left there....:D

VOLTS

moshpit May 23, 2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1336592097)
VOLTS

He'd be right if he removed the decimal point at least :p

Nunz May 23, 2011 11:02 AM

Oh yes, I didn't even notice that. :lol:
I did it too! :cry:

shadow001 May 23, 2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1336592102)
Oh yes, I didn't even notice that. :lol:
I did it too! :cry:

Holy ****...Making an argument about decimal points..:nag:

Nunz May 23, 2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336592142)
Holy ****...Making an argument about decimal points..:nag:

:lol:
You've gotta be perfect, they're gonna get you on everything you do. You've got fans. :p

shadow001 May 23, 2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1336592144)
:lol:
You've gotta be perfect, they're gonna get you on everything you do. You've got fans. :p

More like a true hater really, we all know who he is, and it's not just on this forum either....He's made appearances in others :p

moshpit May 23, 2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336592158)
More like a true hater really, we all know who he is, and it's not just on this forum either....He's made appearances in others :p

His point is valid. Don't say "millivolts" when you mean "volts". You keep saying it over and over is why he corrected you so loudly.

What you may be meaning is the differences are measured in milli's because you're staying within a several hundred milli range. But if giving the total volts, say it in volts, even if it's only one + a little change. When I talk vcore, I still say volts even when it drops below 1, the decimal covers that base when it's still within rounding range of the full one. example : Saying ".95 volt" is easier then saying 950 millivolts.

Hidavi May 23, 2011 01:33 PM

17" 1680x1050 LCD
Intel Core i5 450m @ 3.2GHz
Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 RAM
4GB DDR3 RAM
320GB HDD
4.1 surround speakers with realtek HD
DVD Burner
120W PSU

moshpit May 23, 2011 01:35 PM

Sweeeeet lappy! Nice choice, Hidavi!

Hidavi May 23, 2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1336592214)
Sweeeeet lappy! Nice choice, Hidavi!

Thanks. I got it in December for $1100, including 2 year warranty. Still plays all the new games on max :up:

I skimped on the res cuz I figured it wouldn't really be that big a deal.

Roadhog May 23, 2011 02:09 PM

badass laptop. :D

Hidavi May 23, 2011 02:12 PM

Thanks thanks. I kinda wish I had gotten the smaller GX660 now because that one is upgradeable to an HD 6970 with very minor modification. The power system in this one doesn't have enough spare juice for that upgrade.

Oh well, shouldn't be fiddling with a laptop in that kinda way anyhow :o

In two years I'll swap the Core i5 450m for a Core i7 840qm and I should be good to continue gaming my ass off :lol: