Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Mass Effect Legendary Edition (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051792)

Seyiji Feb 2, 2021 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338265570)
How is it a bare minimum hack job?

Using AI upscaling is a hack job and kills texture quality in most cases. Also jacking up the speedtree slider so we get moar bushes is also a hack job. Did you poke the comparison slider video running on the EA site for the Mass Effect LE. Doing the slider bit comparing that one level the TOD has changed cause lol reasons and they just added more tree and killed said texture quality and details on the rock.

Any more proof can be attributed to previous attempts of bare minimum chicanery with other remasters that have been released. This is a chop I can tell by the pixels and seeing quite a few in my time.

In other news old gai yells at Cloud Strife. By all means feel free to bust a nut on my sword tho :manches:

Exposed Feb 2, 2021 10:27 PM

Makes me wonder why they needed to use AI upscaling for the textures, did they not have access to the original source textures? Original source textures are usually much higher resolution than what you see implemented in the final game.

Seyiji Feb 2, 2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338265622)
Makes me wonder why they needed to use AI upscaling for the textures, did they not have access to the original source textures? Original source textures are usually much higher resolution than what you see implemented in the final game.

:yep: +1

KAC Feb 2, 2021 11:19 PM

Will this come to GPU for free? That would be dope like.

Evileh Feb 2, 2021 11:40 PM

Thats still not active for pc right?

alitayyab Feb 3, 2021 06:37 AM

Freaking $50 on Origin and $60 on Steam.
More like a $20-30 title to me.

KAC Feb 3, 2021 06:46 AM

Rule for EA games. Buy 2 months later.

Ne0Griever Feb 3, 2021 08:43 AM

All the DLC is in the LE set which is nice because they aren't included in the originals.

Buying everything from the originals would cost around $35 during holiday sales.

DeathKnight Feb 3, 2021 09:13 AM

Apparently the only DLC it won't have is Pinnacle Station (no big loss). The 3rd party dev who did Pinnacle Station sent Bioware the original files for it but they were corrupt.

https://www.xboxachievements.com/new...lost-code.html

Nunz Feb 3, 2021 11:01 AM

I'm tempted because I never played any of the Mass Effects, but it also looks like a lazy remaster..

acroig Feb 3, 2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338265776)
I'm tempted because I never played any of the Mass Effects, but it also looks like a lazy remaster..

I think it's a must play and you should consider it.

OverclockN' Feb 3, 2021 11:14 AM

I had no idea what they even did for the remaster. Watched the video and thought it looked pretty good. :lol:

Either way, just going by the trailer video...it still looks good to me. Will play.

SirBaron Feb 3, 2021 11:24 AM

I mean you think how big 3 mass effect games are, would take a huge budget to remaster them to the level that people want, we should be happy EA is even doing a semi competent job.

Plus they used AI upscale to pretty high levels of upsampling, mainly because they don't have original locked away 4k textures hidden in the Bioware offices, Mass Effect came out on the xbox 360 as a xbox exclusive originally.

Will buy anyway as I love Mass Effect.

Meteor_of_War Feb 3, 2021 11:28 AM

I played the first two Mass Effect games. Never played part 3.

I remember thinking the first one was OK to pretty good, but the planet exploring was kind of boring. But ME2 I thought was really really good. Enjoyed that one a lot. Not sure why I decided not to play the 3rd game. Thinking back I might have just been burned out on the series at the time, and I remember the ending being somewhat controversial with mixed feelings of it from most people.

SirBaron Feb 3, 2021 11:31 AM

It was that controversial that people modded a entirely new ending that's still WIP :lol:.

For me it wasn't that big of a deal.

if I find anymore comparisons will post.

OverclockN' Feb 3, 2021 11:32 AM

Yeah, "lazy remake" or not....I see nothing to complain about in the comparison above or in the trailer that was released.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War (Post 1338265786)
I played the first two Mass Effect games. Never played part 3.

I remember thinking the first one was OK to pretty good, but the planet exploring was kind of boring. But ME2 I thought was really really good. Enjoyed that one a lot. Not sure why I decided not to play the 3rd game. Thinking back I might have just been burned out on the series at the time, and I remember the ending being somewhat controversial with mixed feelings of it from most people.

This was exactly the same for me. I played the first two and thought pretty much the same. Never played the 3rd and have no idea why.

acroig Feb 3, 2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338265789)
Yeah, "lazy remake" or not....I see nothing to complain about in the comparison above or in the trailer that was released.

This was exactly the same for me. I played the first two and thought pretty much the same. Never played the 3rd and have no idea why.

That ending..... best combat was on 3. Best overall was 2.

mizzer Feb 3, 2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338265788)
It was that controversial that people modded a entirely new ending that's still WIP :lol:.

For me it wasn't that big of a deal.

if I find anymore comparisons will post.

Rice Crispies! That looks awesome!

logical Feb 3, 2021 12:24 PM

I dont know if I can go through all 3 again a nice remaster could be good though. The ending to 3 was ooph and I still think 2 is some of the best gaming out there til this day.

Going to have to see more comparison shots to see if its worth it cause of course they picked the best shot for promo pictures to send to the internet.

UFO Feb 3, 2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338265793)
That ending..... best combat was on 3. Best overall was 2.

The ending in ME3 wasn't that bad and I don't understand why everyone hated the ending that much. Annoying things with ME3 was a lot of bugs in the progression system. Some missions showed up despite I had already finished them and vice versa. ME3 wasn't that polished and they didn't fix the bugs either.

The trilogy is ok, the games are kind of cheesy but they have their it charms as well.

acroig Feb 3, 2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 1338265825)
The ending in ME3 wasn't that bad and I don't understand why everyone hated the ending that much. Annoying things with ME3 was a lot of bugs in the progression system. Some missions showed up despite I had already finished them and vice versa. ME3 wasn't that polished and they didn't fix the bugs either.

The trilogy is ok, the games are kind of cheesy but they have their it charms as well.

I don't remember those bugs but it's been a while.

UFO Feb 3, 2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizzer (Post 1338265811)
Rice Crispies! That looks awesome!

EA board meeting:

EA Exec 1: We need more money.
EA Exec 2: Let's do a reboot
EA Exec 1: Which game?
EA Exec 2: Mass Effect series, we made loads on those.
EA Exec 1: So how do we reboot those games?
EA Exec 2: Let's add lens flares, lots.
EA board: *evil laughs together*

metroidfox Feb 3, 2021 12:42 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, Mass Effect was always big on the lens flares.

I do like the idea of AI upscaling the textures though. Upscaling video seems to work pretty well.

acroig Feb 3, 2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metroidfox (Post 1338265837)
I do like the idea of AI upscaling the textures though. Upscaling video seems to work pretty well.

There were no 4K textures in 2007 so gotta get creative.

logical Feb 3, 2021 12:47 PM

So does AI scaling mean they did even less work than possible?

One engineer wrote a script and........DONE. Ship it out. :)

acroig Feb 3, 2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1338265842)
So does AI scaling mean they did even less work than possible?

One engineer wrote a script and........DONE. Ship it out. :)

See links I posted re ME1, lots of work went there.

DeathKnight Feb 3, 2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1338265776)
but it also looks like a lazy remaster..

I don't get how people think it's "lazy". What do you want them to do? It sounds like some people actually want something closer to a full remake and the developer already addressed why that wasn't feasible, both from a technical perspective and keeping the games still feeling like the Mass Effect we know.

They're getting various graphical and asset improvements, gameplay improvements (ME1 mostly), QoL improvements, etc. You get all three games plus DLC in a nice cohesive package. I'd say it's far from lazy. You want to know the definition of lazy just look at the Kingdoms of Amalur "remaster".

acroig Feb 3, 2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathKnight (Post 1338265872)
I don't get how people think it's "lazy". What do you want them to do? It sounds like some people actually want something closer to a full remake and the developer already addressed why that wasn't feasible, both from a technical perspective and keeping the games still feeling like the Mass Effect we know.

They're getting various graphical and asset improvements, gameplay improvements (ME1 mostly), QoL improvements, etc. You get all three games plus DLC in a nice cohesive package. I'd say it's far from lazy. You want to know the definition of lazy just look at the Kingdoms of Amalur "remaster".

Port it to Vulkan and add RTX! :drool:

;)

logical Feb 3, 2021 01:55 PM

Remaster used to mean some real work though. I expect touching of textures and not by some scaling that they can through a script and get it somewhere better.

Quadruple textures add new lighting and maybe some effects cause we know they arent touching gameplay. Everything has to be visual and immediately noticeable.

OverclockN' Feb 3, 2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

I don't get how people think it's "lazy". What do you want them to do?
Nobody is ever happy any more...

If it looks good and is a big step up from what it was...why does it matter HOW it was done? I see the old screenshots, then I look at the trailer and the new screens available and I don't understand where the complaints are coming from.