Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Mass Effect Legendary Edition (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051792)

acroig Feb 3, 2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338265884)
Nobody is ever happy any more...

If it looks good and is a big step up from what it was...why does it matter HOW it was done? I see the old screenshots, then I look at the trailer and the new screens available and I don't understand where the complaints are coming from.

I know I'm getting this, just need a good price on it. Just the work they put on ME1 is good for me.

logical Feb 3, 2021 02:07 PM

Well they are charging full price for a decade old game so people want their moneys worth and no shortcuts.

acroig Feb 3, 2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1338265888)
Well they are charging full price for a decade old game so people want their moneys worth and no shortcuts.

Yea, thru.dat but it's 3 games and all DLCs so about $20 a pop each.

Will get when it comes up on GMG or CDKeys.

SirBaron Feb 3, 2021 02:28 PM

UFO Feb 3, 2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1338265888)

That's a cute dream. It's EA we are talking about here and their goal is to squeeze as much out of you they can. They charge you $60 because they think they can.

UFO Feb 3, 2021 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338265896)

As you can see, there isn't much improvement.

Good graphics doesn't make a game (how many times haven't this been said at R3D). System Shock 2 is still one of the best games out there. The graphics in SS2 was already dated when it was released and today it looks rudimentary which doesn't even stress a 10 year old mobile phone. Despite of that game play is still great.

DeathKnight Feb 3, 2021 02:59 PM

The bellyachers and entitlement crowd are out in force

logical Feb 3, 2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathKnight (Post 1338265911)
The bellyachers and entitlement crowd are out in force

How is it entitlement to get what we pay for? I already own all 3 you have to give me a compelling reason to pay for it AGAIN. The only thing this offers better is visuals and its got to do that well if it wants to siphon more money out of my pocket for the same game. Thats why we keep getting **** remasters shoveled because people just buy it no matter what.

Higgy10 Feb 3, 2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1338265912)
How is it entitlement to get what we pay for? I already own all 3 you have to give me a compelling reason to pay for it AGAIN. The only thing this offers better is visuals and its got to do that well if it wants to siphon more money out of my pocket for the same game. Thats why we keep getting **** remasters shoveled because people just buy it no matter what.

exactly, theres some pretty good mods for all 3 games as well

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/...nsive_modding/

DeathKnight Feb 3, 2021 03:30 PM

I didn't say it was entitlement to want to get what you pay for (which is rather subjective by the way). The entitlement is from the insinuation that it shouldn't be $60 and that they owe it to you for less because it somehow doesn't live up to some arbitrary standard. This wasn't necessarily aimed at you by the way.

It's fine if you don't think it's worth it, but all the poo-poo'ing going on is pretty ridiculous IMO.

Regarding mods, how many people actually want to mess with that? The remaster is also coming out on consoles which didn't really have mod capability for these games.

logical Feb 3, 2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathKnight (Post 1338265922)
I didn't say it was entitlement to want to get what you pay for (which is rather subjective by the way). The entitlement is from the insinuation that it shouldn't be $60 and that they owe it to you for less because it somehow doesn't live up to some arbitrary standard. This wasn't necessarily aimed at you by the way.

It's fine if you don't think it's worth it, but all the poo-poo'ing going on is pretty ridiculous IMO.

Regarding mods, how many people actually want to mess with that? The remaster is also coming out on consoles which didn't really have mod capability for these games.

I havent deemed it not worth 60 yet, I havent seen enough. I only speak for myself obviously so if I dont think its worth what they are charging I wont pay for. But to say we get what we get and not expect more is ridiculous.

Exposed Feb 3, 2021 03:41 PM

I never bothered to replay any of the Mass Effect games so this will still be a great bonus. I remember spending hours just exploring the citadel, so many places to visit, quests, dialogue, etc..

Will need to set aside a month or two to replay the remastered trilogy and Andromeda (yes, I enjoyed Andromeda too :bleh: ).

acroig Feb 3, 2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 1338265909)

Good graphics doesn't make a game (how many times haven't this been said at R3D). System Shock 2 is still one of the best games out there. The graphics in SS2 was already dated when it was released and today it looks rudimentary which doesn't even stress a 10 year old mobile phone. Despite of that game play is still great.

Ok, noted, you hate it, no need to go on and on about it.

acroig Feb 3, 2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1338265924)
I havent deemed it not worth 60 yet, I havent seen enough. I only speak for myself obviously so if I dont think its worth what they are charging I wont pay for. But to say we get what we get and not expect more is ridiculous.

We heck, I'm not paying $60 for it, that's for sure. I would if I had not played it before but since I have I need a deal on this (my inner KAC demands it!). ;)

Drexion Feb 3, 2021 03:53 PM

Bluepoint's remake of Demon's Souls has raised the bar for what people expect from having to pay full price for a re-release. If they are charging $60 then it should have been a full on remake outsourced to a studio like Bluepoint who have the capability to remake an old title to modern standards.

If it's just a remaster with AI-upscaled textures and improved lighting then it should have been something like '$15 if you own the games already'.

DeathKnight Feb 3, 2021 04:28 PM

This is 3 games, not a single game. At $60 you're paying $20 per game. There's easily 150+ hours of content combined. For people who have already played it you'll have to weigh whether it's worth it or not. No one is forcing you to buy it at full price or even buy it period. For newcomers to the series I don't see how it's not worth the price of admission at launch.

For the umpteenth time this is also a remaster, not a remake. We've already been over why they didn't do a remake. We've already been over why they didn't change engines from UE3 to UE4 to be able to improve the visuals even further. Trying to compare entirely different games and insisting a remake can and should be done just because such and such did is absurd.

SirBaron Feb 3, 2021 04:31 PM

Demon souls is not even anywhere close to the scope of a trilogy of mass effect level games. One mass effect is much more than demon souls...

That's Apple to Orang-Utans let alone oranges.

OverclockN' Feb 3, 2021 04:31 PM

I want everything and I want it now!!! And for free!! :nag:

logical Feb 3, 2021 04:34 PM

No, we dont want everything we want a real reason to buy it. And no one needs it now, they can come out whenever as long as the product is right.

The focus is on the graphics so thats what we are focusing on.

theduce Feb 3, 2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathKnight (Post 1338265872)
I don't get how people think it's "lazy". What do you want them to do? It sounds like some people actually want something closer to a full remake and the developer already addressed why that wasn't feasible, both from a technical perspective and keeping the games still feeling like the Mass Effect we know.

They're getting various graphical and asset improvements, gameplay improvements (ME1 mostly), QoL improvements, etc. You get all three games plus DLC in a nice cohesive package. I'd say it's far from lazy. You want to know the definition of lazy just look at the Kingdoms of Amalur "remaster".

ME1 really needed a facelift, when I replayed it in '16 or '17 it was not as pretty as I wanted it to be.

I can't wait, cause I love to play good games.

JohnnyFlash Feb 3, 2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 1338265909)

That looks like a massive difference in global lighting.

nutcrackr Feb 3, 2021 06:21 PM

Honestly makes me proud to see you guys bash a remaster. I love that hate against double dipping. (no sarcasm).

I generally hate remasters myself, but for me thought this is tempting because it's got all the DLC and I never played any of the DLC. And it's been a while since I played them so it could be a good opportunity to return. I'd probably still wait for 50% off though, and a few weeks to make sure it's not a broken POS like the crysis remaster was.

Trunks0 Feb 3, 2021 06:38 PM

On the fence for this one and I will have to wait for some break down and comparisons to start come out. But it looks like this was mostly done so that players on new consoles could get a taste. By looking at the screen shots... it looks better in some ways and worse in others. Like the textures, most look better. But not all of them. Some of them are identical, some are less detailed and some are just straight up a different take on the same texture with about the same level of detail. Lighting, Looks like a nice upgrade.... along with apparently adding lens flares everywhere.

acroig Feb 3, 2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

I generally hate remasters myself, but for me thought this is tempting because it's got all the DLC and I never played any of the DLC. And it's been a while since I played them so it could be a good opportunity to return. I'd probably still wait for 50% off though, and a few weeks to make sure it's not a broken POS like the crysis remaster was.
Yeah, fair point.

KAC Feb 3, 2021 08:33 PM

The DLC is mostly garbage btw.

JohnnyFlash Feb 3, 2021 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1338265995)
The DLC is mostly garbage btw.

Strong disagree.

KAC Feb 3, 2021 11:35 PM

Out of 40 DLC there are maybe 2 or 3 worth spending time on. Rest is either cosmetics or garbage.

ugly Feb 4, 2021 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338265788)

Oh cool, they got JJ Abrams to direct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcrackr (Post 1338265963)
Honestly makes me proud to see you guys bash a remaster. I love that hate against double dipping. (no sarcasm).

I'm not totally against remasters. Especially if it's an older game that isn't easily installable on newer systems.

It really depends on how old the games are to not feel like you're getting jobbed. I bought Mass Effect 2 and 3 and haven't played them yet. But the games have been out long enough that I really don't have an excuse. And it does sound like they are making some quality of life changes. Particularly, in really old games (like 90s games) usually the big pain in the ass in replaying them is dealing with the inventory.

Them there are some games, like Dragon Quest XI, that was out on PC for like a year, and they release a definitive edition at full price without even giving an upgrade option to people who bought the original.

ATI FURY-OUS Feb 4, 2021 03:26 AM

i didnt like Andromeda, i missed Shepard and the rest of the crew, felt too unfamilir. ME2 was the best, took me a while before i became hooked on ME1 but the story and characters were the best and as good as writing can be. But cannot be bothered to replay all over again. I still listen to the soundracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ff82BSzuxk

theshadowcult Feb 4, 2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathKnight (Post 1338265872)
I don't get how people think it's "lazy". What do you want them to do? It sounds like some people actually want something closer to a full remake and the developer already addressed why that wasn't feasible, both from a technical perspective and keeping the games still feeling like the Mass Effect we know.

They're getting various graphical and asset improvements, gameplay improvements (ME1 mostly), QoL improvements, etc. You get all three games plus DLC in a nice cohesive package. I'd say it's far from lazy. You want to know the definition of lazy just look at the Kingdoms of Amalur "remaster".

it wasnt not feasable, they couldnt be bothered. They literally said in the interview that they would have to copy over everything manually by visuals because of the changes from ue3 to ue4 and they didnt want to pay someone to do that, when they could just copy the code directly and keep the engine in ue3.

i dont know if you have ever had to copy code manually from visuals alone, but not only does ue4 have tools for ease of doing that but its just a little time consuming and tedious, it isnt remotely difficult. They actually say in the interview that they dont want to put that much effort into the remaster.