Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Why Are You (Still) Folding? (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34053387)

luxor Dec 10, 2021 02:02 PM

Why Are You (Still) Folding?
 
I'm curious to see why people are still folding instead of using their gear for crypto mining.

And for those who aren't folding or mining, why leave your expensive equipment idle?

Jimby Dec 14, 2021 11:03 AM

I'm still folding for the time being to just simply help out. Though I may stop when I hit the 200 million point mark. I would think people don't mine or fold due to the cost of electricity. Or the risk to their expensive and hard to get hardware. Just my 2 cents.

jima13 Dec 23, 2021 02:21 PM

Been doing this for to long to stop now. Did have an issue pop up last night that had me shut down my main system with 2 1080 ti's...cpu started running at 100c and got throttled down. A few minutes ago I changed the audio outputs and the temps dropped back to 40's.....anyway this system is being replaced shortly since I "won" a 3090 and z590 motherboard in Newegg shuffle.....:nuts:

Hope everyone is doing well, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all :heart:

luxor Dec 26, 2021 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jima13 (Post 1338320080)
Been doing this for to long to stop now. Did have an issue pop up last night that had me shut down my main system with 2 1080 ti's...cpu started running at 100c and got throttled down. A few minutes ago I changed the audio outputs and the temps dropped back to 40's.....anyway this system is being replaced shortly since I "won" a 3090 and z590 motherboard in Newegg shuffle.....:nuts:

Hope everyone is doing well, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all :heart:

Thank you and I hope you had a great Christmas and I wish you stable systems in 2022!

jima13 Jan 5, 2022 04:04 PM

Thanks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by luxor (Post 1338320484)
Thank you and I hope you had a great Christmas and I wish you stable systems in 2022!

It was a tough week, lost one of my cats and the cpu on the same day. Had 2 sisters, only 7 now trying to keep the one from getting depressed.

On the PC front, I guess after about 8 years running 24/7 the aio waterpump finally gave up. So for awhile I was down to 2 rigs from 5. Just got #3 with 3700x, RTX 3070 running a little while ago. Hope to have the other two back online by sometime next week, just waiting on a couple things.

Nice work yourself Luxor :fold:

luxor Jan 6, 2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jima13 (Post 1338321984)
It was a tough week, lost one of my cats and the cpu on the same day. Had 2 sisters, only 7 now trying to keep the one from getting depressed.

On the PC front, I guess after about 8 years running 24/7 the aio waterpump finally gave up. So for awhile I was down to 2 rigs from 5. Just got #3 with 3700x, RTX 3070 running a little while ago. Hope to have the other two back online by sometime next week, just waiting on a couple things.

Nice work yourself Luxor :fold:

Wow, that is a shitty start of year. I hope the rest of the year will go better!

On my side, all my production is coming from a single RTX 3060.

Jimby Jan 8, 2022 05:25 PM

Anyone doing the work unit 18421? That project has been running on my CPU for most of today and I'm only at 14%. Says it will take over 2 days for it to complete. Never had a job like this one before, but it seems my Ryzen 3700X is going to take some time to finish it. This seem right? Just wondering.
BTW, don't see any errors or retries in the Log.
Happy Folding.

Crawdaddy79 Jan 9, 2022 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimby (Post 1338322393)
Anyone doing the work unit 18421? That project has been running on my CPU for most of today and I'm only at 14%. Says it will take over 2 days for it to complete. Never had a job like this one before, but it seems my Ryzen 3700X is going to take some time to finish it. This seem right? Just wondering.
BTW, don't see any errors or retries in the Log.
Happy Folding.

Yeah they've been pumping out really large CPU work units for about two weeks. I recorded one at 205000 base credit and it took just under a day for the 5900X to finish. There was a time where I could complete 15+ work units a day with just the CPU.

To answer the question, why I still fold, right now it's to warm up my basement a little. Sadly, I'm having stability issues with CPU folding since those large work units started hitting (I will get back to my PC, log in, and find it's just restarted. Reliability History says "Windows was improperly shut down.") I folded with GPU overnight and it does surprisingly little to raise the room's temperature, compared to the CPU. Was total opposite when I had Vega 64/2700X.

If not for that reason, it's for the team. All the other teams that passed Rage during COVID have stopped producing and we're back on the upswing. We need our place back.

I never looked into learning how to crypto-mine because I worry that it will become an addiction.

Jimby Jan 10, 2022 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 (Post 1338322429)
Yeah they've been pumping out really large CPU work units for about two weeks. I recorded one at 205000 base credit and it took just under a day for the 5900X to finish. There was a time where I could complete 15+ work units a day with just the CPU.

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com