Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   AMD Radeon Discussion and Support (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Official Navi2x/6x00 series thread (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051860)

SuperGeil Nov 20, 2020 07:41 PM

I don't have a RDNA 1 or 2 chip to test this idea, but would you not be able to do your own form of DLSS by making a custom resolution and then using virtual super sampling and Radeon image sharpening?:hmm:

Bitey Nov 20, 2020 11:01 PM

Well I do wonder about the flexibility of AMD ray tracing.

It does not have a fixed portion of the chip dedicated to RT so in theory they could adjust RT performance at the cost of raster performance, would be nice if a user could dial in the % of compute used for RT.

I expect the 6900xt with a few more spare CU's might have a bit more of bump in RT than people expect.

What if they went all out RT and basic raster eg quake II RT

bill dennison Nov 20, 2020 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitey (Post 1338246402)
Well I do wonder about the flexibility of AMD ray tracing.

It does not have a fixed portion of the chip dedicated to RT so in theory they could adjust RT performance at the cost of raster performance, would be nice if a user could dial in the % of compute used for RT.

I expect the 6900xt with a few more spare CU's might have a bit more of bump in RT than people expect.

What if they went all out RT and basic raster eg quake II RT

no it does

Quote:

Each compute unit packs a total of 64 stream processors, 16 texture mapping units, four texture filter units, and a single Ray Accelerator unit that handles the raytracing capabilities of the GPU

https://wccftech.com/review/amd-rade...es-big-navi/2/

6800 xt
so 72 Compute Units = 72 RT Cores

or 6900 xt
80 Compute Units = 80 RT Cores

Bitey Nov 20, 2020 11:23 PM

I could be wrong but each CU can be used for RT OR other operations not both at the same time.

KAC Nov 21, 2020 12:43 AM

6900XT seems to be quite a contender. Can’t wait to see what is pushes nvidia to bring out in 1-2 months. :drool:

Gandalfthewhite Nov 21, 2020 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitey (Post 1338246405)
I could be wrong but each CU can be used for RT OR other operations not both at the same time.

That was what the rumors were. Turned out to be false. At least from current available info.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

pax Nov 21, 2020 10:10 AM

Various aibs are being shown:

More picts at videocardz. Weve already seen the large powercolor but kinda find the XFX is small this time?

bill dennison Nov 21, 2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

AMD's Infinity Cache is the MVP of the RX 6000-series, and it's only going to get better
Quote:

But what if a developer did program specifically for Infinity Cache? That's a question raised during an AMD roundtable discussion ahead of the RX 6800 XT and RX 6800 release date, and AMD is quietly optimistic for future performance if a developer were to team up with the red team for a little more juice.

"You know, there is the potential for benefits from providing more direct controls," Pomianowski continues, "we have … quite an extensive set of ways in which the Infinity Cache can be controlled.

"That's something we will we will look at. I mean in our initial interactions with developers we talked to them about ways that, if they understand that the cache is there, that they can perhaps alter how they do their rendering to be more friendly to the cache—get even more benefits out of it, you know, the ways in which you order rendering and place things can realise definite gains."

Perhaps there's even more leverage for a developer to do so with the Xbox Series X, Series S, and PlayStation 5 all utilising the Infinity Cache through the use of RDNA 2 silicon. There's a lot of modern red team silicon around right now, and that's potentially a feather in the hat of AMD as it works to lessen Nvidia's choke-hold on the graphics card market.
https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-infinity...x-6800-rdna-2/

Riptide Nov 21, 2020 12:08 PM

They look super cool. At this point though, I'd take anything I could get.

pax Nov 21, 2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338246508)

In looking for the bottleneck as to why the 3 gpus dont scale to their CU count Im wondering if having the same amount of IF is the issue. Im sure navi3 will have likely double this amount as it obviously works right out of the box fps wise.

bill dennison Nov 21, 2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338246513)
In looking for the bottleneck as to why the 3 gpus dont scale to their CU count Im wondering if having the same amount of IF is the issue. Im sure navi3 will have likely double this amount as it obviously works right out of the box fps wise.

that maybe or they may just tune driver more for 4k

but this one has a Patent
Quote:

The patent alleges its cache optimization boosts performance 22% - 52% and doubles performance in deep learning applications. These two claims would seem to be how AMD is improving RDNA2's deep-learning substitute for DLSS.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...paper_details/

Leprechaun Nov 21, 2020 12:56 PM

Edit:. Nm.link was already posted.. I really hate phones

bill dennison Nov 21, 2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Overclocked To 2.8 GHz on LN2, Shatters 60K GPU Points in 3DMark Fire Strike Achieving New World Record

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6...-world-record/

demo Nov 21, 2020 08:42 PM

Wake me up when they bench Port Royal

bill dennison Nov 21, 2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338246633)
Wake me up when they bench Port Royal

:lol:

Wake me up on the 10th when the first really good RT game comes out ....... maybe :p

pax Nov 21, 2020 09:37 PM

CP2077 said they are working to make RT work on amd cards. Whic is why they dont list amd cards for RT at all for now. Tells us that even when Nvidia says its just plain DXR it obviously isnt because RT works on nvidia at launch but will need a patch for amd.

Hmm what patch might that be? I suppose a DXR patch?

demo Nov 21, 2020 09:42 PM

Obviously, pax. Benchmarks will be interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338246645)

Wake me up on the 10th when the first really good RT game comes out ....... maybe :p

There's a few good ones already. I just played through COD Cold War and Metro this week.

acroig Nov 21, 2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338246645)

BS bud! Plenty of good RT games out there..... you know this.

bill dennison Nov 21, 2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338246648)
Obviously, pax. Benchmarks will be interesting.

There's a few good ones already. I just played through COD Cold War and Metro this week.

Metro was good i never got into the COD's

watch dogs: legion could be better if they ever fix it and most of the people are boring :lol:

bill dennison Nov 21, 2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338246649)
BS bud! Plenty of good RT games out there..... you know this.

Ray tracing games you can play right now:

Amid Evil
Battlefield V............. not my bag
Bright Memory
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)........... not my bag
Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War........... not my bag
Control..................................... = ok a little boring
Crysis Remastered ...................... = not again :zzz:
Deliver Us The Moon
Fortnite
Ghostrunner
Justice
Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries
Metro Exodus .......................... = good
Minecraft
Moonlight Blade
Pumpkin Jack
Quake II RTX
Shadow of the Tomb Raider............... = fair
Stay in the Light
Watch Dogs Legion..................... = fair
Wolfenstein: Youngblood................ = trash

the others i had no interest in sorry

been waiting on Atomic Heart since before i got my 2080 ti = it may never happen :mad:

got hope for Dying Light 2

SIrPauly Nov 21, 2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338246647)
CP2077 said they are working to make RT work on amd cards. Whic is why they dont list amd cards for RT at all for now. Tells us that even when Nvidia says its just plain DXR it obviously isnt because RT works on nvidia at launch but will need a patch for amd.

Hmm what patch might that be? I suppose a DXR patch?

Probably working on rt and denoising optimizations considering the many hybrid abilities, imho. Godfall on the Pc suppose to offer raytracing but only for Amd, Nvidia later on. I don't think anything shady.

demo Nov 21, 2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338246653)

Get off my lawn...

No worries Gramps. :lol:

I agree Watchdogs is bleh. But this week have played through Metro, the new COD campaign was great, Crysis Remastered is good, but what blew me away the most was Quake 2 RTX. Finally able to play it properly with 3090, 2080ti was a slide show. The Global Illumination is amazing.

Looking forward to Cyberpunk and Atomic Hearts. I'm also interested in Riftbreaker which is an AMD sponsored title, hopefully effects work with Nv hardware.

Infact Godfall is a good first RT entry for AMD, light on the effects, and Riftbreaker will be a good second. These will showcase AMD's RT capabilities when coded for AMD hardware.

bill dennison Nov 21, 2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIrPauly (Post 1338246657)
Probably working on rt and denoising optimizations considering the many hybrid abilities, imho. Godfall on the Pc suppose to offer raytracing but only for Amd, Nvidia later on. I don't think anything shady.

i think they are both marketing mostly .

and NV never follows the rules and i bet every game to date is not fully microsoft dxr compliant
NV always add a poison pill when they help a game dev

RTX is just nvidia gameworks 2.0

bill dennison Nov 21, 2020 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338246667)
No worries Gramps. :lol:

I agree Watchdogs is bleh. But this week have played through Metro, the new COD campaign was great, Crysis Remastered is good, but what blew me away the most was Quake 2 RTX. Finally able to play it properly with 3090, 2080ti was a slide show. The Global Illumination is amazing.

Looking forward to Cyberpunk and Atomic Hearts. I'm also interested in Riftbreaker which is an AMD sponsored title, hopefully effects work with Nv hardware.

Infact Godfall is a good first RT entry for AMD, light on the effects, and Riftbreaker will be a good second. These will showcase AMD's RT capabilities when coded for AMD hardware.

nope sorry :lol:

diablo 4 yes if i live that long

demo Nov 21, 2020 10:26 PM

I meant for showcasing AMD sponsored RT effects. Godfall isn't my cup of tea but Riftbreaker looks pretty awesome. Is Diablo 4 meant to include RT?

pax Nov 22, 2020 12:07 AM

Man reading reddit and a few other places those who got their 6800xts are getting 2.5ghz on a dime it seems... not bad for the reference.

bill dennison Nov 22, 2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1338246680)
I meant for showcasing AMD sponsored RT effects. Godfall isn't my cup of tea but Riftbreaker looks pretty awesome. Is Diablo 4 meant to include RT?

i think so

https://www.shacknews.com/article/11...ew-game-engine

and Shadowlands is

Quote:

AMD Showcases World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Ray Tracing and VRS Ahead of Launch
https://wccftech.com/amd-showcases-w...ead-of-launch/

SirBaron Nov 22, 2020 02:28 AM

Performance increases on World of Warcraft... There's a joke in here somewhere... :bleh:

WoW and ray tracing shadows is such a ****ing dumb idea, I mean seriously what a waste :lol:

bill dennison Nov 22, 2020 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338246727)
Performance increases on World of Warcraft... There's a joke in here somewhere... :bleh:

WoW and ray tracing shadows is such a ****ing dumb idea, I mean seriously what a waste :lol:

yea i have not played wow in years but Diablo 4 would be nice

Megaman Nov 22, 2020 02:32 AM

Another shitty AOTS like benchmark?