Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   AMD Radeon Discussion and Support (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Official Navi2x/6x00 series thread (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34051860)

SuperGeil Nov 22, 2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBaron (Post 1338246727)
WoW and ray tracing shadows is such a ****ing dumb idea, I mean seriously what a waste :lol:

Wieso denn?

LordHawkwind Nov 22, 2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338246653)
Ray tracing games you can play right now:

Amid Evil
Battlefield V............. not my bag
Bright Memory
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)........... not my bag
Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War........... not my bag
Control..................................... = ok a little boring
Crysis Remastered ...................... = not again :zzz:
Deliver Us The Moon
Fortnite
Ghostrunner
Justice
Mechwarrior V: Mercenaries
Metro Exodus .......................... = good
Minecraft
Moonlight Blade
Pumpkin Jack
Quake II RTX
Shadow of the Tomb Raider............... = fair
Stay in the Light
Watch Dogs Legion..................... = fair
Wolfenstein: Youngblood................ = trash

the others i had no interest in sorry

been waiting on Atomic Heart since before i got my 2080 ti = it may never happen :mad:

got hope for Dying Light 2

I've got BFV so it would be nice to try that but only other game I might buy on PC is Dirt 5. Absolutely not interested in the rest TBH. Not my cup of tea.

demo Nov 22, 2020 02:55 PM

BFV RT is nothing special, just reflections.

acroig Nov 22, 2020 03:22 PM

Deliver us the Moon is a fun game and looks great with RT.

Trunks0 Nov 22, 2020 04:05 PM

Ghostrunner's RT's looks good... but the game looks awesome without as well.

Falck Nov 22, 2020 04:51 PM

Quick technical question:

If RDNA2 needs to do ray-tracing, will that render the CU's needed for RT exclusive to RT rendering and other rendertasks needs to be done in other non-RT running CU's?

Or can 1 CU do it all at the "same time"? (Since we're not there where it's all RT.)

tried Googling that, but haven't found a good answer.

SuperGeil Nov 22, 2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falck (Post 1338246826)
Quick technical question:

If RDNA2 needs to do ray-tracing, will that render the CU's needed for RT exclusive to RT rendering and other rendertasks needs to be done in other non-RT running CU's?

Or can 1 CU do it all at the "same time"? (Since we're not there where it's all RT.)

tried Googling that, but haven't found a good answer.

their are dedicated ray tracing units, one per compute unit. 72 ray tracing units in the XT, and 60 and the non, 80 in the 6900. The compute unit won't stop what it is doing just for ray tracing

Megaman Nov 22, 2020 06:42 PM

A new member to rage3D. Welcome aboard.

How did you manage to create an account?

pax Nov 22, 2020 09:52 PM

Anyone seen benches of Godfall with and without RT? I know the patch only came out 4 days ago but was wondering what the penalty was on the 6800's...

Leprechaun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 PM

My MSI x570 motherboard has a BIOS update to allow SAM. Will this work even with a 3900x cpu or turning it on will do jack squat? Just preplanning and wondering in case a 6800xt does become available before a 3080 pops up.

Gandalfthewhite Nov 22, 2020 10:30 PM

for now it will do jack squat AMD needs to enable support for older cpus. Hopefully that will also be smart and enable it as an option in ryzen master to make control of the setting easier

bill dennison Nov 22, 2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

All MSIís X570, B550 & A520 Motherboards Feature Support For AMDís Smart Access Memory Feature
https://wccftech.com/msi-x570-b550-a...access-memory/

for now it seems to be a bios switch

and 5000 CPU's

demo Nov 22, 2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338246877)
Anyone seen benches of Godfall with and without RT? I know the patch only came out 4 days ago but was wondering what the penalty was on the 6800's...

I haven't seen benches but what I've noticed is AMD does OK with only RT shadows. Godfalls only RT effects are shadows, no other effects, so I expect it'll do OK. Tomb Raider is the same.

Once GI, AO, Reflections etc are added to the mix, 6800 shiits the bed.

pax Nov 22, 2020 11:56 PM

I think WOW was only shadows...

demo Nov 23, 2020 12:26 AM

Yeh, it did pretty well in WoW.

Falck Nov 23, 2020 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperGeil (Post 1338246838)
their are dedicated ray tracing units, one per compute unit. 72 ray tracing units in the XT, and 60 and the non, 80 in the 6900. The compute unit won't stop what it is doing just for ray tracing

Thanks for the answer!

I too thought so, that it's the schedulers task to keep the CU fed.

Do you know any references to where AMD states the CU won't go RT exclusive?

SuperGeil Nov 23, 2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaman (Post 1338246841)
A new member to rage3D. Welcome aboard.

How did you manage to create an account?

:lol: it was a tad tedious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falck (Post 1338246904)
Thanks for the answer!

I too thought so, that it's the schedulers task to keep the CU fed.

I dont know any, sorry. But it would be a bad idea. The reason why the ray unit is in the CU is so that it has access to the same data pools as the rest of GPU. It would be a waste of silicon if the ray unit was outside the compute unit pipeline. For the same reason why a CU is not dedicating to just texturing or shading.

jesdals Nov 23, 2020 03:12 PM

Any solid info about 6900xt will it be reference only or is there going to be cards with custom designs - could realy do with 3x Displayport

Trunks0 Nov 23, 2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesdals (Post 1338246982)
Any solid info about 6900xt will it be reference only or is there going to be cards with custom designs - could realy do with 3x Displayport

The air cooled Strix pictured on page 3 looks like it will have 3xDP and 1xHDMi.

LordHawkwind Nov 23, 2020 04:17 PM

So my cunning plan is on a knife edge. Spoke to the Sales Manager and he asked me which card I'd like and he'd reserve it but he'd need to speak product team to see if they were getting any cards. Will ring me tomorrow (yeah) so I'll ring him again but noticed they are not on AMD's UK distributors list so must buy off wholesaler.

Fingers crossed but think it's a Baldric cunning plan that doesn't work. They are on Nvidia's distributors so might just buy a 3080 if I can. Surely AMD AIB's want to sell as many cards as possible so I think we know where the bottleneck is :lol:

TBH I would be happy going to the Green team this time as AMD cards seem to be even more vapour ware here in Europe. If AMD don't want my business I'm fine with that same goes for their vapour ware 5xxx CPU :lol:

Can AMD really ignore the European market and prosper. Wow? Brave decision Lisa Su. If you only supply USA for six months when supply meets demands are we really bothered? NO. After that you need to reduce prices to make us interested most Europeans will buy Intel/Nvidia :lol: Make America great again or maybe not :lol: ;lol:

acroig Nov 23, 2020 04:45 PM

Is that all of EU or just UK? I mean after Brexit maybe you guys don't get none? ;)

jesdals Nov 24, 2020 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1338246984)
The air cooled Strix pictured on page 3 looks like it will have 3xDP and 1xHDMi.

But they are all 6800 series cards, any info about 6900XT with custom designs?

bill dennison Nov 24, 2020 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesdals (Post 1338247066)
But they are all 6800 series cards, any info about 6900XT with custom designs?

only rumors so far

Quote:

ASUS Radeon RX 6900 ROG STRIX series spotted at EEC

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-rad...spotted-at-eec

bobvodka Nov 24, 2020 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falck (Post 1338246904)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperGeil (Post 1338246949)
I dont know any, sorry. But it would be a bad idea. The reason why the ray unit is in the CU is so that it has access to the same data pools as the rest of GPU. It would be a waste of silicon if the ray unit was outside the compute unit pipeline. For the same reason why a CU is not dedicating to just texturing or shading.

Comments from AMD, referenced earlier in this thread, seem to imply that the GPU will prioritise RT workloads on some CUs - originally people read this as a certain percentage of CUs were only able to do RT workloads.

So if you've a pool of 80, maybe 20 of them will get RT workloads pushed to them and the other 60 will continue doing only normal gfx/compute workloads.

That's not to say that the other 20 will only do RT, but it does seem to imply that if you launch some RT work on the GPU it will direct it to those CUs and only use them for other things if they have space.

This makes sense if they are trying to keep data structures in cache close to the CUs in question - having all the BVH data in one place would improve performance.

Also, RT workloads are likely to have a higher memory/register file requirement than normal gfx/compute workloads - they have to store state and access a lot of data. So, placing them all on one set of CUs might have some advantages there when it comes to swapping thread groups in and out of execution; it also means that your other CUs don't get a bunch of RT work using up their register file space, meaning you can potentially keep more other work running on them.

Using made up numbers, if your CU has 20 slots in a register file, lets say RT takes up 5 slots and pixel shading takes up 4, if you push all your RT work to one CU then it can keep 4 pieces of work in flight, if you then push your pixel work to another it can keep 5 in flight, for a total of 9 chunks of work. Now if you mix the workloads and place 2 RT one each CU, then you get 4 RT still, but you can only host 4 pixel work loads in total across both CU, for a total of 8.

All this also implies it is software configurable, so likely if they want to change it they can on a per title basis - also if DXR1.1 style becomes increasingly common (where you can throw out a ray cast from any shader stage, not just from pure RT workloads) that might change how work is distributed on the hardware, again, per title.

However until AMD release documents on the GPU design and some ISA stuff it is largely a degree of speculation as to what is going on.

Bitey Nov 24, 2020 03:13 AM

What do you think about a possible separate RT pass, eg all CU's used for raster then all CU's for and RT pass.
I am thinking even if that worked it may introduce to much latency?

SIrPauly Nov 24, 2020 12:04 PM

Amd discussing Dxr 1.1 and denoising:

https://youtu.be/cC-DDAq3PCM

Cream Nov 24, 2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338246994)
Is that all of EU or just UK? I mean after Brexit maybe you guys don't get none? ;)

So we get some?

acroig Nov 24, 2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cream (Post 1338247142)
So we get some?

Sorry, that's 'murican for "you don't get any".

bill dennison Nov 24, 2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338247146)
Sorry, that's 'murican for "you don't get any".

:lol:

NV or AMD i don't think 99% of the stock ever leaves silicon valley :bleh:

acroig Nov 24, 2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338247148)
:lol:

NV or AMD i don't think 99% of the stock ever leaves silicon valley :bleh:

Seriously! :lol: