Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   -Post pics of your computer- (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33744307)

Zero Apr 15, 2012 11:34 AM

Your coolant looks murky, is it the tubing or...?

nycdarkness Apr 15, 2012 11:40 AM

Do you have more then 1 rad?

Roadhog Apr 15, 2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336898111)
Finished water cooling my pc. Ran the leak-test for about 24 hours and now need to start putting everything back together. Didn't bother with the backplates for my gpus (in hindsight I should have). Just a simple loop, nothing special. Anyhoo, here's a pic with it still hooked-up to a jump-started psu.

Looks good. But curious why you didn't opt for the cleaner looking loop layout?

Could have gone, pump/res > radiator > cpu > gpu.

caveman-jim Apr 15, 2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ (Post 1336896461)
Yeah, and because its there.The stock 200 fan doesn't really move much air. For a while there I wasn't sure which way it was installed since I couldn't really feel which way the air was moving. I also threw an AP-181 into the front. The case is pretty quiet too and moves a ton of air.

I've found the stock 200/230's in CM cases to be quite powerful, if they're clean. Get a coating of dust on them and they're a lot less effective.

Greasy Apr 15, 2012 06:55 PM

Finally replaced my old lian li G75B with an 800D. Love this case so far! I'll be replacing the stock case fans soon as well.

Greasy Apr 15, 2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1336898403)
Looks good. But curious why you didn't opt for the cleaner looking loop layout?

Could have gone, pump/res > radiator > cpu > gpu.

Yep, I would have probably ran the same loop you described as well. Something to consider next time you drain your loop Dungeoncrawler.

Dungeoncrawler Apr 15, 2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdarkness (Post 1336898296)
Do you have more then 1 rad?

Only one - Its the rx360 triple 120mm.

Quote:

Your coolant looks murky, is it the tubing or...?
Its distilled water, I'm not sure. Think its just the pic.

Quote:

But curious why you didn't opt for the cleaner looking loop layout?
It was my first ever attempt at watercooling. I started a thread and one of the ragers suggested the loop I used.
Quote:

As for the path chosen, i'd go from the reservoir to the video cards, then to the radiator to cool the heat generated by the 2 cards(they're still going to release a lot more heat than the CPU ever will), and from the radiator to the CPU socket and from the CPU socket back to the reservoir...

shadow001 Apr 15, 2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336898664)
Only one - Its the rx360 triple 120mm.

Its distilled water, I'm not sure. Think its just the pic.

It was my first ever attempt at watercooling. I started a thread and one of the ragers suggested the loop I used.

Actually i'd use the bottom card as the intake from the reservoir using an extra 90* fitting, both cards connected in parallel, and the upper card exiting right up to the radiator, then to the CPU then back to the reservoir....Would make it cleaner that way without the large turns in the tubes.

Dungeoncrawler Apr 15, 2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336898670)
Actually i'd use the bottom card as the intake from the reservoir using an extra 90* fitting, both cards connected in parallel, and the upper card exiting right up to the radiator, then to the CPU then back to the reservoir....Would make it cleaner that way without the large turns in the tubes.

:( Does appear to be a cleaner loop ^^ that way. I got so caught-up in doing it that I didn't really think about how it would look afterwards. Might change it later. Tbh, it was a rather frustrating venture overall.

Roadhog Apr 15, 2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336898664)

Sounds like they didn't know what they were talking about. Temperatures through the loop vary >1c with proper flow so order does not matter. Only thing that really matters is that the res is before the pump so it's easy to prime.

nycdarkness Apr 15, 2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336898682)
:( Does appear to be a cleaner loop ^^ that way. I got so caught-up in doing it that I didn't really think about how it would look afterwards. Might change it later. Tbh, it was a rather frustrating venture overall.

It can be very frustrating. I always draw my loop out in advance and think it over. For my setup I have it going from res->cpu->rad1->gpu->rad2->pump

shadow001 Apr 15, 2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336898682)

Don'tt get me wrong, cooling wise it wouldn't make a difference and the way it is right now works fine....I'm just a fan of the shortest possible tubing, using 45* and 90* fittings if needed, and going directly where it needs to go and if you think that was a pain in the ass, try this:

That is a lot of mesuring, driling, cutting, making my own custom brackets and about a month of work total from start to finish...I'm nuts.:lol:

Dungeoncrawler Apr 15, 2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1336898686)
Sounds like they didn't know what they were talking about. Temperatures through the loop vary >1c with proper flow so order does not matter. Only thing that really matters is that the res is before the pump so it's easy to prime.

In his defense, he gave the layout but I interpreted it probably wrong. It was a learning experience for sure. Being my first time, my first mistake I think was the case selection. I have a 800d that is specifically for water-cooling. Instead of being lazy I should have just switched them out. Unfortunately the 800d mobo will not support the i7 procs. It would have involved a complete cross-over.
Quote:

I always draw my loop out in advance and think it over.
I actually did the drawing part, just not the thinking part :(

Quote:

I'm just a fan of the shortest possible tubing
Elegant tube-management! If I've learned one lesson from this whole thing is that you cannot get into a rush. Give it some time, do some research, ask some experienced people and then proceed. I skipped the foreplay and went straight for the climax :p. Btw Shadow, you were the one that suggested the loop. However, I missed this part in your reply:

Quote:

and the tubing lenghts as short and neat as possible
So I did interpret it wrong :)

Roadhog Apr 15, 2012 07:59 PM

Fairly clean for two radiators, CPU and 3x GPUs.

Greasy Apr 15, 2012 08:07 PM

Rebuilding that has to be fun! :p

shadow001 Apr 15, 2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336898695)
In his defense, he gave the layout but I interpreted it probably wrong. It was a learning experience for sure. Being my first time, my first mistake I think was the case selection. I have a 800d that is specifically for water-cooling. Instead of being lazy I should have just switched them out. Unfortunately the 800d mobo will not support the i7 procs. It would have involved a complete cross-over.
I actually did the drawing part, just not the thinking part :(

Elegant tube-management! If I've learned one lesson from this whole thing is that you cannot get into a rush. Give it some time, do some research, ask some experienced people and then proceed. I skipped the foreplay and went straight for the climax :p. Btw Shadow, you were the one that suggested the loop. However, I missed this part in your reply:

So I did interpret it wrong :)

I was using a regular laptop for the entire duration just to get the basic stuff done while taking my time to put this all togther, and more than half the time is mainly planning on making it look clean.....You don't notice it in the picture, but i actually used a fair amount of black automotive touch up paint and black masking tape to make the wiring less noticable, as well as passing as much of it between the motherboard and it's tray, then there's drilling this thing to make it easier to fill the CPU loop and bleed it too by lining it with the fill port on the top radiator..

It's all the little things that take time and add up to a nice finish overall..

shadow001 Apr 15, 2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy (Post 1336898698)
Rebuilding that has to be fun! :p

It'll eventually will be when i move it to a new case with more cooling given the extra CPU power it'll have in less than a year.... Dual socket with 20 cores in total.

Dungeoncrawler Apr 15, 2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336898699)
It's all the little things that take time and add up to a nice finish overall..

Speaking of details, I'm really not happy with my fan-controller wire management. I was forced to use extensions and have allot of excess stuffed inside a bay. Can't really see it, but I know its there. The temps on the gpu's are great. I ran the Stalker: cop benchmark (max) and they never went over 45c. However, not that thrilled about results from the proc. Idling around 40-42c with load temps at 60c. Ambient temp in my room is rather hot however.

CurrentlyPissed Apr 15, 2012 10:16 PM

Nunz Apr 15, 2012 10:19 PM

How loud is the RAM cooler?
You probably don't even need it.

CurrentlyPissed Apr 15, 2012 10:24 PM

Updated with new pics. It's silent don't hear it at all. If anything it'll help circulate case air flow. So...

That being said I used one of the fans that came with the H100 because I need to pick up another. And holy balls that think is outrageously loud.

Nunz Apr 15, 2012 10:28 PM

Yeah at full blast the Corsairs are loud. You should be able to control it through the BIOS though.

shadow001 Apr 15, 2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336898721)
Speaking of details, I'm really not happy with my fan-controller wire management. I was forced to use extensions and have allot of excess stuffed inside a bay. Can't really see it, but I know its there. The temps on the gpu's are great. I ran the Stalker: cop benchmark (max) and they never went over 45c. However, not that thrilled about results from the proc. Idling around 40-42c with load temps at 60c. Ambient temp in my room is rather hot however.

There's always going to be excess wire lengths unless you go the ultimate solution, exact lenghts and here's a example and keep in mind that this is extremely time consuming:

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/y...h/P1010068.jpg

Notice all the individual sleeving on every wire, wich has been removed from the plastic connector, cut to exact lenght, re crimped with a new terminal and the sleeving afterwards, shrink tube added of the same color as the sleeving, then back into the connector....Once all the wires of one connector are done, use a heat gun on the shrink tubing and repeat all this on 50 to 100 wires in the case, depending on how complex the installation is.

As for the temperatures for the CPU it is a little high but not by much...what speed is it running at and at what voltage?, and what application?.

And yeah ambient temps to matter, but how did you setup the fans on the top radiator?.....Push/pull where it's taking in air from outside and forcing it directly thru the radiator?

nycdarkness Apr 15, 2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1336898797)
How loud is the RAM cooler?
You probably don't even need it.

It's noticeable to an extent and it doesn't play nice when mounting with 2 of the recent boards I've had. I have a couple of them from ram kits always took it off after. Looks nice but doesn't really do much.

Dungeoncrawler Apr 16, 2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336898814)
There's always going to be excess wire lengths unless you go the ultimate solution, exact lenghts and here's a example and keep in mind that this is extremely time consuming:

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/y...h/P1010068.jpg

Notice all the individual sleeving on every wire, wich has been removed from the plastic connector, cut to exact lenght, re crimped with a new terminal and the sleeving afterwards, shrink tube added of the same color as the sleeving, then back into the connector....Once all the wires of one connector are done, use a heat gun on the shrink tubing and repeat all this on 50 to 100 wires in the case, depending on how complex the installation is.

As for the temperatures for the CPU it is a little high but not by much...what speed is it running at and at what voltage?, and what application?.

And yeah ambient temps to matter, but how did you setup the fans on the top radiator?.....Push/pull where it's taking in air from outside and forcing it directly thru the radiator?

Wow, that case is simply amazing imo! Never seen one like that where everything is feng shui :D. The oc on the proc is 4.6GHz. Not sure about the voltage since its oc'ed thru the bios (default 4.2 or 4.6GHz oc). Due to space limitations, I could not put two sets of fans on the rad. The one set is right on top of my ram sticks now. No way I could get anything else in that case. I have 2 200mm fans(top) pulling air into the case, and the rad fans pulling that air thru it. A 200mm fan in the front pulling, a 200mm fan on the case door pulling, and a kaze 120mm (3500rpm) fan at the back pushing.

edit - 1.35v

Roadhog Apr 16, 2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336898885)
Wow, that case is simply amazing imo! Never seen one like that where everything is feng shui :D. The oc on the proc is 4.6GHz. Not sure about the voltage since its oc'ed thru the bios (default 4.2 or 4.6GHz oc). Due to space limitations, I could not put two sets of fans on the rad. The one set is right on top of my ram sticks now. No way I could get anything else in that case. I have 2 200mm fans(top) pulling air into the case, and the rad fans pulling that air thru it. A 200mm fan in the front pulling, a 200mm fan on the case door pulling, and a kaze 120mm (3500rpm) fan at the back pushing.

Huh? Ms paint of air flow plz.

Dungeoncrawler Apr 16, 2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1336898886)
Huh? Ms paint of air flow plz.

The 120mm at the back is a Kaze 3500rpm beast.

Roadhog Apr 16, 2012 02:15 AM

Ah, ok. Looks good to me.

Trunks0 Apr 16, 2012 07:02 AM

Would seem that you have far greater air flow in than out. Mind you, given all the holes for air flow, I'm guessing that doesn't matter much?

Zero Apr 16, 2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler (Post 1336898888)
The 120mm at the back is a Kaze 3500rpm beast.

Wouldn't the rad and top case fans be better off blowing heated air upwards and outwards?

Edit: in fact, is there any reason to have fans besides the rad and top fans at all since most/all your heat is being carried to the rad?