Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   -Post pics of your computer- (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33744307)

shadow001 Jul 14, 2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthBeavis (Post 1336980236)
very nice, can I get some better pics of the loop? I also would like to see the side panel (does it have a window). Are you receptive to feedback (contructive of course)?

The case paint job I have done by the best motorcycle airbrusher in teh USA . www.stevenunez.com check it work out

Well i have 2 seperate loops, wich one is just for the GPU's and uses those vertically mounted radiators just for the cards, and has 2 pumps for it, then there's the loop for the CPU's,VRM's and the motherboard chipset, wich also has 2 pumps and uses the rear radiator and the horizontally mounted top one...

No window on this one, as the side panels are pretty thick and would have to be water jet cut to make it as clean as possible....The other complication is that the panels use sound absorbing foam to keep the system quiet(the foam is glued to the inner surface).

<---one pump for the CPU loop and another pump for the GPU loop

DarthBeavis Jul 14, 2012 07:28 PM

be careful with having GPUS on separate loop as your rig will not go into thermal shutdown if the GPU loop has an issue like the pumps going out (you do have two so hopefully that will help).

shadow001 Jul 14, 2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthBeavis (Post 1336980247)
be careful with having GPUS on separate loop as your rig will not go into thermal shutdown if the GPU loop has an issue like the pumps going out (you do have two so hopefully that will help).

I have a pump controler like this:

And a waterflow meter that should the pumps stop(assuming both fail), emits a warning that there's no flow in the loops so i know where to look for the problem right away....Though the pumps are rated for 50 000 hours of operation, so that's a long time.

DarthBeavis Jul 14, 2012 07:45 PM

The only SR2 build I worked on was the first Origin Big which I designed for them.

This is the one I did:
http://gizmodo.com/5631816/origins-b...ktop-hellbeast

This is the second revision I did not work on it
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/50642/ori...review-ces-11/

shadow001 Jul 14, 2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthBeavis (Post 1336980263)
The only SR2 build I worked on was the first Origin Big which I designed for them.

This is the one I did:
http://gizmodo.com/5631816/origins-b...ktop-hellbeast

This is the second revision I did not work on it
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/50642/ori...review-ces-11/

Impressive build indeed with the apropriate pricetag to go along with it...:lol:

I started my build in march of last year and at the time, it had 3 water cooled Nvidia GTX580's and only 2 pumps( one for each loop), and i've been adding bits and pieces as time went on, with the biggest change being the 4 HD7970's and extra pumps + controlers....Now the next item on the list are the SSD's, since they've taken quite a price tumble in the last 16 months, and i'll get a pair of Intel 520's in raid 0(240GB versions most likely).

I was thinking about EVGA's SR-X motherboard, but with the sandy bridge Xeon processors being multiplier locked, and even if i used the fastest stock version(E5-2687W), i'd top out at maybe a 3.5 Ghz overclock..I'd basically get 4 more cores compared to the SR-2, but they'd be running at slower clock speeds than my current CPU's, so that doesn't sound like much of an upgrade and would cost my 5000$ between the board and the CPU's.

If intel comes to their senses and eventually releases Xeon's with unlocked multipliers( even better if they are 10 core ivy bridges using the 22nm fab process), i wouldn't even hesitate for a second.....:lol:

DarthBeavis Jul 14, 2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336980278)
Impressive build indeed with the apropriate pricetag to go along with it...:lol:

I started my build in march of last year and at the time, it had 3 water cooled Nvidia GTX580's and only 2 pumps( one for each loop), and i've been adding bits and pieces as time went on, with the biggest change being the 4 HD7970's and extra pumps + controlers....Now the next item on the list are the SSD's, since they've taken quite a price tumble in the last 16 months, and i'll get a pair of Intel 520's in raid 0(240GB versions most likely).

I was thinking about EVGA's SR-X motherboard, but with the sandy bridge Xeon processors being multiplier locked, and even if i used the fastest stock version(E5-2687W), i'd top out at maybe a 3.5 Ghz overclock..I'd basically get 4 more cores compared to the SR-2, but they'd be running at slower clock speeds than my current CPU's, so that doesn't sound like much of an upgrade and would cost my 5000$ between the board and the CPU's.

If intel comes to their senses and eventually releases Xeon's with unlocked multipliers( even better if they are 10 core ivy bridges using the 22nm fab process), i wouldn't even hesitate for a second.....:lol:

your system is awesome as is . . .don't change a thing

shadow001 Jul 14, 2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthBeavis (Post 1336980281)
your system is awesome as is . . .don't change a thing

I am still impressed with it even after 16 months, where it's been running at overclocked speeds without as much as a hiccup, even though it doesn't have the latest stuff like PCI-3.0 and i am using 4 cards that support that standard, but it doesn't seem to impact performance with current software.

The SR-X option is one i keep on the back of my mind should things turn out the way i hope they eventually do sometime next year, and where it would be worth the money to go from a 12 core/24 thread SR-2 running at 4 Ghz to an SR-X packing 20 cores/40 threads also running at 4Ghz or over.

slaWter Jul 15, 2012 11:36 AM

Here's my AMD only system, perfect for Rage3D :D

A E-350 Fusion HTPC.

Not even the old Intel SSD makes this thing fast, but hey it's AMD only after all ;)

DarthBeavis Jul 15, 2012 11:42 AM

nice HTPC

shadow001 Jul 16, 2012 03:09 PM

Ordered more stuff from a local supplier( radiators, fans, fittings), to further beef up the cooling overall and while it will(barely) fit the current tower, the more stuff i add to this, the more i come to the realization that i'll soon need an even bigger case to fit all the hardware.....Something like this:

http://www.xs-pc.com/products/cases/h1-cube-case-10pci/

About 600$ for the case, but i'd have to rework the entire installation when transfering the hardware from one case to the other one, as i also plan on adding extra SSD's now that 240GB models are much cheaper....

DarthBeavis Jul 16, 2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336982037)
Ordered more stuff from a local supplier( radiators, fans, fittings), to further beef up the cooling overall and while it will(barely) fit the current tower, the more stuff i add to this, the more i come to the realization that i'll soon need an even bigger case to fit all the hardware.....Something like this:

http://www.xs-pc.com/products/cases/h1-cube-case-10pci/

About 600$ for the case, but i'd have to rework the entire installation when transfering the hardware from one case to the other one, as i also plan on adding extra SSD's now that 240GB models are much cheaper....

check out Case Labs. Their cases are the best

shadow001 Jul 16, 2012 04:16 PM

I saw the caselabs ones and they are very nice indeed, but from all the options listed and the pictures shown, the most one could fit inside of them, radiator wise, would be four 480mm radiators and they could be pretty thick ones with fans on both sides of the radiators( 2 on the bottom and 2 on the top), and the motherboard has to be mounted vertically....I do like it's ability to handle more than 1 PSU for the TH10.

Nicely optioned out with the most amount of room possible, it still comes out to 700$(US), and i'd have to Email them for shipping outside of the USA.....At least the XSPC above comes in flat pack so i have to do all the assembly myself, but it's a lot cheaper on shipping costs.

Given the dimensions on the TH10, i don't want to imagine the shipping costs, or if there's customs charges involved....:eek:

Sazar Jul 16, 2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 1336980843)
Here's my AMD only system, perfect for Rage3D :D

A E-350 Fusion HTPC.

Not even the old Intel SSD makes this thing fast, but hey it's AMD only after all ;)

What chassis is that?

slaWter Jul 17, 2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 1336982146)
What chassis is that?

It's an Antec ISK 300-65. Quite nice for a HTPC and very cheap. External PSU and a 3 speed fan included.

TRD Supra Jul 20, 2012 08:25 PM

Stickers make everything go faster. They even say so.

logical Jul 21, 2012 03:36 PM

Congrats on ruining the clean look :lol:

caveman-jim Jul 21, 2012 04:25 PM

ya rly

shadow001 Jul 23, 2012 12:19 AM

I'm sadly reporting the partial failure of my 1500 watt power supply....It still powers up the motherboard and SSD's and detects the video cards, but all the fans, pumps, fan controlers and pump controlers don't work anymore, so i suspect at least one of the rails within the PSU went bad for 10 fans, 4 pumps, 2 fan controlers and 1 pump controler simply no longer working, and it all happening at the same time.

I had a feeling i was pushing the PSU too hard with all this hardware connected to it, and it ran nicely for over 2 years and drawing pretty close to it's design limits pratically all the time during that period, but it was too much punishment in the long run.

So since there's nothing stronger than a 1500 watt PSU, and using the same model will kill it down the road, the only option is using a pair of PSU's in the case i linked above, wich i can mod it to use a pair of them and trying to distribute the load evenly between both of them, likely a pair of 1000~1250 watt PSU's to get more than enough power and not stress either one so close to their limits...

Roadhog Jul 23, 2012 12:27 AM

k, but what does that have to do with post pics of your pc.

shadow001 Jul 23, 2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1336989078)
k, but what does that have to do with post pics of your pc.

Will have everything transfered to the new case, using 2 PSU's, more cooling and looking even better than it already was?...It will take time though( likely several weeks and lots of modding).

BababooeyHTJ Jul 23, 2012 04:42 AM

How hard is it inserting four video cards at once? What about removing them?

shadow001 Jul 23, 2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ (Post 1336989150)

Pretty hard if they're all connected together, even if the tubing extensions between each card are adjustable, as i have to line all 4 of them to the PCI-e slots at the same time, and make sure the retention mechanism on the motherboard for the PCI-e slots locks all 4 of them them into place at the same time....

It's one of the reasons why i like the horizontal placement of the motherboard tray on the case i linked above, wich will make said problem a lot easier to deal with...

BababooeyHTJ Jul 23, 2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1336989303)
Pretty hard if they're all connected together, even if the tubing extensions between each card are adjustable, as i have to line all 4 of them to the PCI-e slots at the same time, and make sure the retention mechanism on the motherboard for the PCI-e slots locks all 4 of them them into place at the same time....

It's one of the reasons why i like the horizontal placement of the motherboard tray on the case i linked above, wich will make said problem a lot easier to deal with...

Are there any tricks that you've picked up in doing this? Do you lay the case on the side to install the cards? How do those tubing extensions work?

Sorry about all of the questions. I'm debating water cooling my cards and it looks like a bit of a pita with crossfire. Thats the only part that I'm worried about.

TRD Supra Jul 23, 2012 12:18 PM

Wired Xbox controller is in. NHL and HALO are the only titles left for me to need my xbox now.

Nunz Jul 23, 2012 12:18 PM

NHL ftw

shadow001 Jul 23, 2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ (Post 1336989363)
Are there any tricks that you've picked up in doing this? Do you lay the case on the side to install the cards? How do those tubing extensions work?

Sorry about all of the questions. I'm debating water cooling my cards and it looks like a bit of a pita with crossfire. Thats the only part that I'm worried about.

With my current case being as large as it is, and quite heavy with all the water cooling gear in it( think close to 100 lbs fully assembled and filled with cooling fluid), it is much easier to install all 4 video cards with the case layed on it's side, but a strong table is definitely required....:lol:

The metal tubes between each card are adjustable, and the other tricky part is that you keep them loose and only lock them to their final position once the cards are connected and locked to the PCI-e slots themselves, and the backplate on each video card is lined up in the hole where the thumscrews are tightened....

It is a pita indeed and requires patience.... Builds like these aren't something you rush and you should double and triple check everything possible before moving to the next part of the build.

Roadhog Jul 23, 2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ (Post 1336989150)

Pretty easy here (removable motherboard tray).

Building a water cooling loop is pretty straight forward if you have half a brain and can operate a screw driver.

Sound_Card Jul 23, 2012 12:38 PM

Can't remember if I put a picture in this thread...

shadow001 Jul 23, 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog_ (Post 1336989440)
Pretty easy here (removable motherboard tray).

Building a water cooling loop is pretty straight forward if you have half a brain and can operate a screw driver.

It all depends how complex the build is in the end.....If you end up using 5 radiators with 20+ fans, 4 pumps, cooling 2 CPU's and the motherboard and the VRM's for each CPU, along with 4 video cards and extra reservoirs, and the fan controlers and 2 PSU's with all the fittings and tubing requirements while making it all look good, it's not quite that easy anymore....;)

This upcoming build will make my current one look easy by comparison basically...:lol:

Mangler Jul 23, 2012 12:54 PM

?

The upcoming build should be easier if you're using a cube case.