Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   -Post pics of your computer- (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33744307)

VW_Factor Aug 15, 2009 02:21 PM

Perky, like to see a pick with the sidepanel installed.

Soong Aug 18, 2009 04:01 AM

MyBoxen 2009.08.18

I took most of these on the kitchen counter so I could have proper lighting and decent angles.

The rear/left fan is not securely attached at the moment:

The "my desk is always this clean" pic:

caveman-jim Aug 18, 2009 09:21 AM

:drool: very nice! thanks for sharing :up:

Soong Aug 18, 2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1335985541)
:drool: very nice! thanks for sharing :up:

You're very kind. :embarrased:

Qb2k5 Aug 18, 2009 11:39 PM

Wires and multiple usb cards are alittle too hardcore for my tastes, but if it works, then what the hell it works.:up:

Soong Aug 18, 2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qb2k5 (Post 1335986409)
Wires and multiple usb cards are alittle too hardcore for my tastes, but if it works, then what the hell it works.:up:

I have no USB cards. I have USB headers on my motherboard. Better than hubs or cards.

clerick Aug 20, 2009 07:33 PM

Jesus those are some thick deltas on your radiator.

Greasy Aug 20, 2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clerick (Post 1335988732)

Was thinking the same thing. Gotdamn man get a fesser and some smaller fans. :P

Soong Aug 20, 2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clerick (Post 1335988732)

http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/d...120x76.2mm.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy (Post 1335988738)
Was thinking the same thing. Gotdamn man get a fesser and some smaller fans. :P

I had a thicker radiator before. The problem you run into there is that you need fans with higher static pressure (faster/louder) to pull the air through through the fins. Thicker rad=more surface area and more drag. I run the fans relatively low and usually not even all of them. In the winter I'll probably only have to turn one on.

T1Cybernetic Aug 21, 2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soong (Post 1335985368)
I took most of these on the kitchen counter so I could have proper lighting and decent angles.

The rear/left fan is not securely attached at the moment

</MASSIVE IMG SNIP>

That tower is almost like my lianli pc70 (Very nice by the way)

Where did you get those fans /fan shrouds? They look awesome (I MUST BUY SOME)

"EDIT" Sorry i just read the answer to the fans, where to buy them is what we need to know :P

caveman-jim Aug 21, 2009 09:22 AM

Used to be you could buy them from Overclockers.co.uk; don't know if they still do them or not.

Ristogod Aug 21, 2009 09:54 AM

Far too much for my tastes in terms of accessbility and ease in regards to hardware upgrades.

Also, I'm not a fan of the exposed internals of the system and the wiring run from inside to the outside through the side panels.

caveman-jim Aug 21, 2009 10:01 AM

I see it as function over form. From an engineering PoV I can appreciate it.

Soong Aug 21, 2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T1Cybernetic (Post 1335989241)
That tower is almost like my lianli pc70 (Very nice by the way)

Where did you get those fans /fan shrouds? They look awesome (I MUST BUY SOME)

"EDIT" Sorry i just read the answer to the fans, where to buy them is what we need to know :P

The case is a Lian-Li pc7077B. By far the greatest and simplest case they've made IMHO. It's no longer in production but I think there are some similar models available.

I got the fans from here:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/delhigper.html
But they aren't listed any more although they still have a category for the series. They aren't listed in the "out of stock" section either. I don't know if that means they're no longer carrying them or what.

edit:The shrouds are just 120x25 mm fans that I cut the actual fans out of.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1335989292)
Far too much for my tastes in terms of accessbility and ease in regards to hardware upgrades.

I'll assume you mean you believe it to be too inaccessible?

Everything is held in with thumb screws. Six of the hard drives are in front-of-the-case accessible hot swappable bays. Of the other two, one is not actually screwed in at all but is kept from sliding out by all the icky wires running up and down inside, the other (my 15krpm boot drive) is actually screwed in. Even the CPU waterblock has thumb screws. I could swap out the CPU in less than 20 minutes; most of that time being for the irrational cleaning rituals I would put the heat conducting surfaces through. The single most difficult computing component to replace would be the video card because it's attached to it's waterblock by about 13 screws and it has at least 10 heat conducting surfaces that would need to be cleaned.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1335989292)
Also, I'm not a fan of the exposed internals of the system and the wiring run from inside to the outside through the side panels.

If I had still had a drill (don't know exactly when/where I lost it) I would make a few nice little holes for the power/reset buttons and the T-line in the top of the case and be able to attached the right side panel. I also would like the have the radiator sitting centered on the top of the case and drill holes for the tubing to go through the top. I already bought the rubber grommets before I realized I didn't have a drill any more. As it is the left side panel attaches normally.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ristogod (Post 1334549947)
Nothing wrong with gays. Until they die and are tossed into the lake of fire. :bleh:

:hmm:
Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1335989303)
I see it as function over form. From an engineering PoV I can appreciate it.

:arrow_up: :yes:

Pepsin Sep 5, 2009 09:10 AM

Not much has changed since I built the system last year..

Got some more storage, replaced the DVDRW, got another two 1GB sticks of RAM...

RicH(SAD) Sep 7, 2009 01:44 PM

Took some quick pics of my setup yesterday. No pics of the computer itself because it is somewhat hidden and there really isn't much to see there. Sorry about the brightness .. The camera is kinda bad.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphones next to one of my Klipsch speaker. Slightly photoshopped. :p

mrk1283 Sep 7, 2009 01:57 PM

I have a new cooler, new cabling, new new!

(tight fit, no? :D)

(Ultra120 not installed here)

traitoR Sep 7, 2009 02:15 PM

Nice pics guys. :)

DaJMasta Sep 7, 2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk1283 (Post 1336006242)
I have a new cooler, new cabling, new new!

I've always liked that case, good choice.

ScottDoom Sep 7, 2009 11:12 PM

mrk, you take some clean pics. :up: Nice case too.

mrk1283 Sep 8, 2009 02:34 AM

Thanks!

BTW Pepsin is that packaging tape holding the fan on to the heatsink?! not afraid of the adhesive melting away? :D

Pepsin Sep 15, 2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk1283 (Post 1336006722)
Thanks!

BTW Pepsin is that packaging tape holding the fan on to the heatsink?! not afraid of the adhesive melting away? :D

Nope, the tape isn't holding the fan.. it's just that there was a small gap between the heatsink and the fan duct (black plastic), causing much of the air to leak on the sides instead of passing through the heatsink. Lost 3-4C by adding the tape ;)

The "other" computers :)

caveman-jim Sep 23, 2009 07:25 PM

Perky McGiggles Sep 23, 2009 11:43 PM

Interesting CPU cooler direction. :p

The bottom fan is also interesting, do you leave it on it's side?

Soong Sep 24, 2009 12:00 AM

The CPU fan looks fine. It's blowing hot air UP to a comically oversized exhaust fan. Bottom fan is questionable unless it's kept on its side or the 'feet' are rather thick, otherwise it's just adding noise but no air flow. I think the system looks good.

caveman-jim Sep 24, 2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles (Post 1336023806)
Interesting CPU cooler direction. :p

The bottom fan is also interesting, do you leave it on it's side?

Yes it's laying on its side for the pics. The CPU cooler direction allows for more air to vent out of the giant 200mm fan at the top instead of out the 120mm fan at the back that's 4" from the back of the desk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soong (Post 1336023820)
The CPU fan looks fine. It's blowing hot air UP to a comically oversized exhaust fan. Bottom fan is questionable unless it's kept on its side or the 'feet' are rather thick, otherwise it's just adding noise but no air flow. I think the system looks good.

The 120mm fans are noiseless, 19dBA @ 800rpm. The feet are quite tall, add a little height for air to get to the PSU and bottom fan. The case side has 2 x 120mm fans installed as well; this thing is not air challenged. Front has 200mm intake fan.

Pepsin Sep 26, 2009 06:49 PM

Well, it didn't take long for the "urge" (to upgrade) hit...

Replaced the Phenom 9650 2.3 GHz CPU with a Phenom II X4 955BE 3.2 GHz, and got a new CPU cooler...

So the new specs:
M3A32-MVP Deluxe 790FX mobo, Phenom II X4 955BE, 4GB XMS2, Radeon HD 4850 512MB, M-Audio Delta1010LT audio card, 2640GB storage (three internal, one external)

The case (same as before):

Opened:

(Finally a heatsink that can be oriented properly on AMD sockets!)

Another one - replaced one of the 80mm fans with a slightly higher cfm one. Still debating whether to put a 120mm fan in the front. Don't think it's necessary or would make much of a difference though. Plenty of air entering the slits at the front already. I can feel the draft there when the side panel is on and the system is running.

Desk (normally keep the side panel on):

caveman-jim Sep 27, 2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsin (Post 1336026763)

(Finally a heatsink that can be oriented properly on AMD sockets!)

- in your case. ;)*

Pepsin Sep 28, 2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1336027513)
- in your case. ;)*

Which looks exactly like 99% of all cases out there.

In the remaining 1% of the cases, this cooler can only be oriented incorrectly with AMD boards ;)

caveman-jim Sep 29, 2009 12:41 AM

If you say so. Maybe I just see more of the newer designs. ;)*

Yours would vent upwards into the PSU, which would then exhaust out the rear.