Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Official VR Headset discussion (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34008998)

0091/2 Jun 23, 2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite (Post 1337728704)
just think what you could do with exercise equipment like bikes and treadmills with VR if they actually integrated it properly could be really cool.

Someone did try to create platform that lets you move around while standing. It has sensor that tracks your step and turns. I don't remember the name of the project but you're required to wear special shoes.:bleh:

THis: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gam...admill-1213630

logical Jun 24, 2015 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0091/2 (Post 1337728788)
Someone did try to create platform that lets you move around while standing. It has sensor that tracks your step and turns. I don't remember the name of the project but you're required to wear special shoes.:bleh:

THis: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gam...admill-1213630

Was at E3 the last few years... terrible and clunky.

night Jun 24, 2015 09:01 AM

Google can get into it with smooth versions of street view

badboy Jul 10, 2015 05:20 AM

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...sive_games.php

Quote:

Oculus VR is funding about two dozen Rift-exclusive games

Oculus VR chief Brendan Iribe has told Gamaustra that Oculus is now fully funding development of roughly two dozen Rift-exclusive games, including Insomniac's action-adventure game Edge of Nowhere.

:drool: :drool:

Mangler Jul 10, 2015 10:11 AM

They should partner up with nvidia, the **** is not exclusive enough as it is.

Progression Jul 17, 2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337736542)

Wouldn't count on all 12 being of a high quality.

badboy Jul 23, 2015 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Progression (Post 1337740841)
Wouldn't count on all 12 being of a high quality.

you mean all 24? :p
Yeah probably not but they will all be VR specific game and thats enough
But many of those are probably small games like rollercoasters etc

badboy Jul 23, 2015 05:07 AM

http://recode.net/2015/07/21/nokia-p...uct-next-week/

Quote:

Nokia is set to unveil its first major virtual reality project next week at a VIP event in Los Angeles, according to sources familiar with the company’s plans.
didnt see this coming... :hmm:

OzzieBloke Jul 23, 2015 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337743493)

It'll have crap resolution and sluggish response.

But it will be UNBREAKABLE.

General Lee Jul 23, 2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzzieBloke (Post 1337743521)
It'll have crap resolution and sluggish response.

But it will be UNBREAKABLE.

I've always wanted to frame a house using my forehead. :bleh:

OzzieBloke Jul 24, 2015 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Lee (Post 1337743546)
I've always wanted to frame a house using my forehead. :bleh:

I'm still waiting for someone to build a bomb shelter out of old Nokia phones.

badboy Jul 29, 2015 02:28 AM

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/28/90...-vr-camera-ozo

Quote:

Today Nokia is beginning to lay out its vision. At an event for the entertainment industry in Los Angeles tonight, Nokia is announcing Ozo, a next-generation camera for capturing audio and video in 360 degrees. Nokia intends for the device, which is now in its pre-production phase, to become the default mode of shooting virtual-reality experiences for Hollywood, the media, and the advertising industry. A formal launch, along with a final sale price, is planned for the fall. But Ozo is not a consumer camera — the device is expected to sell in the mid-five figures.
It was a VR Camera :eek:
The VR future is taking shape! :drool: :drool: :drool: :heart: :heart: :heart:

badboy Aug 28, 2015 05:42 AM

http://gizmodo.com/valves-virtual-re...yed-1727103010

The HTC Vive’s launch date has shifted to 2016, putting it up against Oculus and Sony

Quote:

It seemed like the amazing HTC Vive virtual reality headset would be the first to market—ahead of Sony’s Morpheus and the Oculus Rift. That’s not necessarily happening. According to a new press release, consumers probably won’t be getting their hands on Valve VR until 2016. Shame.

While originally, the Vive was set to ship this holiday to consumers (here’s the proof) a Valve press release now suggests a staggered rollout: only “a limited quantity of community and developer systems” will be available this holiday, with consumers having to wait till the first quarter of next year.
Well they've lost one of their advantages against oculus

OzzieBloke Aug 31, 2015 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337762170)
http://gizmodo.com/valves-virtual-re...yed-1727103010

The HTC Vive’s launch date has shifted to 2016, putting it up against Oculus and Sony

Well they've lost one of their advantages against oculus

Yup. I was actually considering the Vive if it came out before, but if it won't, I'll probably stick to the original game plan of OcRift.

0091/2 Oct 1, 2015 05:29 PM

The price of Oculus might cost more than $350.
http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-found...ost-price-350/

Are you guys willing spend more that for VR? I wonder how much games will cost?

noko Oct 1, 2015 06:58 PM

Production is on , hurray!

http://www.roadtovr.com/the-first-oc...oduction-line/

Nagorak Oct 1, 2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0091/2 (Post 1337774833)

I don't see any future for VR unless standard PC games can also be played in VR. It's not going to work just to have stand alone VR games.

But... I'm willing to pay pretty much whatever the cost (within reason), provided the experience is good.

0091/2 Oct 1, 2015 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagorak (Post 1337774883)
I don't see any future for VR unless standard PC games can also be played in VR. It's not going to work just to have stand alone VR games.

But... I'm willing to pay pretty much whatever the cost (within reason), provided the experience is good.

You will need games designed for VR. You'll puke if it isn't. I suppose you can expect AAA game to support it. :bleh:

badboy Oct 2, 2015 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0091/2 (Post 1337774833)

the price has always been between 300-400
And yes I would spend that

The games will cost as any other pc games. Dont understand why anyone would think otherwise... :hmm:

AllexxisF1 Oct 2, 2015 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noko (Post 1337774853)

Wow, how long have we been waiting for that news. If they are building them now, I am assuming we can expect a launch in the very early part of Q1 next year?

bill dennison Oct 2, 2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy (Post 1337774931)
the price has always been between 300-400
And yes I would spend that

The games will cost as any other pc games. Dont understand why anyone would think otherwise... :hmm:

think I remember was to be under 350 max, but I never thought it would be under 500+ then or now

Mangler Oct 2, 2015 11:17 AM

Will be interesting to see how the hmd wars turns out, things could get ugly if every headset will have exclusive titles.

logical Oct 2, 2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagorak (Post 1337774883)

I could have sworn I posted this about in this thread but I guess not. I dont see Oculus getting super popular or anything more than a niche just because the barrier of entry to use one properly is too high. 300-400 bucks for the OcRift kit itself self and then another probably at least 500-600 dollar computer system at the very least to get it running. Then you actually need to buy the games that are actually supported by it. Thats 1k just to get into the door.

Back when the Original Wii came out it sold in droves because it had a gimmick(waggle motion sticks) like Oculus Does(VR) but the difference here is that grandma and grandpa can go into best buy and walk out with a box that had everything they needed to play for 300. All they had to do was go home and plug it in. Most people are going to see the price you are going to need to use the thing and just skip over it.

The novelty of it will wear off quick as well. Putting something on your head will get old fast. Its something that is very cool when you experience it for the first time but if you had to put it on every time you wanted to play a game it becomes annoying even with the added experience it provides.

Ive used morpheus, oculus and samsung gear and I still dont want to purchase any of them.

The interesting thing is what Mangler alluded to is the exclusivity of games on systems that will come with this inevitably. No Mans Sky seems to have been a victim of this already so we'll see how it goes.

Omega53 Oct 2, 2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangler (Post 1337775057)
Will be interesting to see how the hmd wars turns out, things could get ugly if every headset will have exclusive titles.

Just like every new technology, everyone will be pushing their standards to start and eventually 1 (sometimes 2) will win out. Early adopters usually get burned as I'll list some examples below.

Gfx cards: Glide vs DirectX vs OpenGL - DirectX eventually won out
Sounds cards: EAX vs directX vs a3d - Windows won by forcing software sound
HD movies: BluRay vs HDDVD - BluRay won
Cells/Tablets/Streaming boxes : Android vs IOS vs Windows - Windows basically lost
Connectivity: USB vs Thunderbolt vs Firewire- USB 99% of the time

I could keep going on forever. The point is eventually 1 company will win out and everyone will have to follow suit. For those on the losing side, their equipment will eventually become a paperweight

Nagorak Oct 2, 2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0091/2 (Post 1337774897)
You will need games designed for VR. You'll puke if it isn't. I suppose you can expect AAA game to support it. :bleh:

They need to be designed with VR in mind, I'll grant you that. But, I don't believe they should need to be designed from the ground up to only work in VR. There are plenty of demos and articles about people's experiences playing normal 3D games with a VR headset. The issue is that there's no way that VR is going to be big enough, especially not at first, to support games that are made only for VR. And as amazing as the technology may be, if there's nothing worth playing, then what is the point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega53 (Post 1337775077)
Sounds cards: EAX vs directX vs a3d - Windows won by forcing software sound

More like we all lost on that one. :(

monkeydust Oct 3, 2015 05:19 AM

I bought a Google Cardboard earlier in the week for my iPhone 6. It is really fun to play with for a while but when your done with the handful of demos (certainly wouldn't call them games) available, there's not much of a point to pick it up again.

I know it's really not an apples to apples comparison, but there has to be a much more compelling reason to buy one of these expensive units than to play a handful of cool tech demos.

OzzieBloke Oct 3, 2015 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeydust (Post 1337775319)
I bought a Google Cardboard earlier in the week for my iPhone 6. It is really fun to play with for a while but when your done with the handful of demos (certainly wouldn't call them games) available, there's not much of a point to pick it up again.

I know it's really not an apples to apples comparison, but there has to be a much more compelling reason to buy one of these expensive units than to play a handful of cool tech demos.

Indeed. There needs to be a HEAP of support from the software side of things.

I'm still hanging out to play Alien on the Rift though. :drool:

monkeydust Oct 5, 2015 05:12 AM

Does anybody know if the Oculus will have support spatial gaming like the HTC Vive does with its 15'x15' gaming area due to its Lighthouse system? I know this is something that won't be available on release but I'd hate to spend that kind of money on a device that will not be upgraded to have the same kind of capability as the HTC Vive which makes it more compelling than the competitors.

badboy Oct 5, 2015 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logical (Post 1337775075)
I could have sworn I posted this about in this thread but I guess not. I dont see Oculus getting super popular or anything more than a niche just because the barrier of entry to use one properly is too high. 300-400 bucks for the OcRift kit itself self and then another probably at least 500-600 dollar computer system at the very least to get it running. Then you actually need to buy the games that are actually supported by it. Thats 1k just to get into the door.

Back when the Original Wii came out it sold in droves because it had a gimmick(waggle motion sticks) like Oculus Does(VR) but the difference here is that grandma and grandpa can go into best buy and walk out with a box that had everything they needed to play for 300. All they had to do was go home and plug it in. Most people are going to see the price you are going to need to use the thing and just skip over it.

The novelty of it will wear off quick as well. Putting something on your head will get old fast. Its something that is very cool when you experience it for the first time but if you had to put it on every time you wanted to play a game it becomes annoying even with the added experience it provides.

Ive used morpheus, oculus and samsung gear and I still dont want to purchase any of them.

The interesting thing is what Mangler alluded to is the exclusivity of games on systems that will come with this inevitably. No Mans Sky seems to have been a victim of this already so we'll see how it goes.

It wont be super popular overnight. No one believes that. Even oculus said it will take 10 years or something for VR to catch on.
But you need to start somewhere and VR/AR is the future.
Saying this is a gimmick is the same as the old folks said internet or TV was a gimmick :bleh:

logical Oct 5, 2015 10:11 AM

It is a gimmick and this is the 2nd go around for VR.