Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   AMD Radeon Discussion and Support (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   RDNA 3 Rumor Discussion (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34052049)

bill dennison Oct 10, 2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagorak (Post 1338309517)
I don't know that it's actually true that the 2080 Ti sold "well". As far as I can tell it never got to be more than 1% on the Steam Hardware survey. It's way down the list on the current hardware survey, and if you go back to look at older time periods, it's the same.

Although I am sure each 2080 Ti was quite profitable, a relatively small number of them sold compared to the cheaper cards. The lion's share of the sales are 70 class or below. For that matter the 3060, 3060 Ti, 3070 and 3080 have all already supplanted 2080 Ti on the Steam survey. The only thing from 3000 series worse than 2080 Ti share is the 3090 (not counting 3080 Ti or 3070 Ti since they haven't been out long).

I think a distinction needs to be made between something "selling" and "selling well". Selling means the product actually makes sense to someone, but "selling well" has to mean getting more than 1% of market share. Reducing yourself to 1% of your sales base isn't going to result in huge profits, even if you jack the price up to $2000. There have to be much cheaper cards than that for there to even be a GPU market.



I think the sales on Ebay and other online reselling sites don't provide an accurate picture of the whole GPU market. Sure the few hundred cards on there at any time sell, but that's out of tens of thousands of cards shipped overall.

they did with the start of the pandemic till the 3000's came out and all the people working at home

pax Oct 10, 2021 10:52 AM

Jiminy Cricket:


https://www.tomshardware.com/news/pc...ign=socialflow


Quote:

PCIe 5.0 Power Connector Delivers Up To 600W For Next-Gen AMD, Nvidia GPUs

bill dennison Oct 10, 2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338309552)

:eek:

future gaming PC power supply

https://sunwatts.com/30-3kw-solar-ki...icro-inverter/

pax Oct 10, 2021 12:12 PM

I just bought a 750w Superflower for the next rig that may be am4 or 5 depending how things go this winter...

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7000-...ching-in-2022/



Ryzen 7000???

I might have really bet on the wrong horse for that PS lol.

bill dennison Oct 10, 2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338309561)
I just bought a 750w Superflower for the next rig that may be am4 or 5 depending how things go this winter...

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7000-...ching-in-2022/



Ryzen 7000???

I might have really bet on the wrong horse for that PS lol.


I had SLI and CFX so have a 1050 and 1250 PSU

Sasquach Oct 10, 2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338309552)

Wasnt there a joke a long time ago where a GPU will eventually come with its own external power supply?

doesnt seem like much of a joke anymore....

pax Oct 10, 2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338309565)
I had SLI and CFX so have a 1050 and 1250 PSU

You'll need a 2kw ps next time. :bleh:

pax Oct 10, 2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1338309567)
Wasnt there a joke a long time ago where a GPU will eventually come with its own external power supply?

doesnt seem like much of a joke anymore....

I cant imagine the kind of cooling you'll need on a 600w chip. It'll make the 3090 look like a dwarf...

bill dennison Oct 10, 2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338309571)
I cant imagine the kind of cooling you'll need on a 600w chip. It'll make the 3090 look like a dwarf...

full water only or maybe 360mm or 420mm rad AIO

fan cards for the hearing impaired and deaf :bleh:

pax Oct 10, 2021 03:04 PM

Can you imagine a dual gpu on one card?


bill dennison Oct 10, 2021 06:09 PM

not as bad as all that

or as bad as two fury x's in CFX or two 1080 ti's in SLI


but if it is 200% to 300% times faster than a 6900 I can live with the 600 watts

but not like the 3090 that can draw 500 watts for only 50% over a 2080 ti

pax Oct 10, 2021 06:24 PM

I read a bit on the 3090's frying with New World MMO and some with BF 2042 and apparently its not the software but the gpus that are simply running too hot and when games simply make use of more of the silicon it runs too hot... so 500w may already be too much.

Water may be the only way too cool these things reliably going forward.

bill dennison Oct 10, 2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338309601)
I read a bit on the 3090's frying with New World MMO and some with BF 2042 and apparently its not the software but the gpus that are simply running too hot and when games simply make use of more of the silicon it runs too hot... so 500w may already be too much.

Water may be the only way too cool these things reliably going forward.

remember

the 3090 is a monolithic GPU

RDNA 3 is chiplets and it will spread out the heat

the whole package maybe very big a lot bigger than Threadripper
the card maybe big enough for 4 fans :lol:

Nunz Oct 10, 2021 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338309601)
I read a bit on the 3090's frying with New World MMO and some with BF 2042 and apparently its not the software but the gpus that are simply running too hot and when games simply make use of more of the silicon it runs too hot... so 500w may already be too much.

Out of all the theories on what the cause is, what you just said has to be the worst one of them all :lol:

Plenty of info out on this already. Power limits are not being respected by New World for some reason, and mosfets/phases are literally exploding due to overvoltage. OCP is not kicking in properly, etc.

It's poor board design and poor overcurrent protection. Nothing to do with heat, but power/wattage and power delivery.

pax Oct 10, 2021 10:35 PM

May be the case that nvidia purposely designed this thing to fail:


https://twitter.com/Buildzoid1/statu...56811551940612


Quote:

Buildzoid
@Buildzoid1
The more I probe the 3090 the more confused and horrified I am by the absolutely abomination that is the Vcore VRM. At this point I'm not surprised by 3090s dying I'm surprised by them being able to turn on in the first place.
8:07 AM · Oct 10, 2021·Twitter Web App
Class action coming in 3-2-...?

acroig Oct 11, 2021 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338309628)
May be the case that nvidia purposely designed this thing to fail...

Class action coming in 3-2-...?

Seriously?

Nunz Oct 11, 2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338309628)
May be the case that nvidia purposely designed this thing to fail:


https://twitter.com/Buildzoid1/statu...56811551940612




Class action coming in 3-2-...?

You think NV purposely designed a GPU to blow up .............. ??

He's only talking about cards using UP9511's for the vcore VRM. That's not all cards.

pax Oct 11, 2021 09:29 AM

BZ has 2 vids on this and Id bet a 3rd one is incoming... sounds like its the reference pcb being that its several brands.

We'll see.

Nunz Oct 11, 2021 09:44 AM

I think it's possible NV went for a cheap(er) design for reference PCBs, which is normal, and there aren't enough phases to handle all the current. There is an issue with New World not respecting power limits (set it to 100% which is, let's say 375w, and yet the game will stay pegged at 400w). Games should not be able to do that outside of super hard transient loads that the VRM can't keep up with, which is acceptable. There needs to be an implementation from NV on the driver side to stop what New World is somehow doing.

Yes, all reference boards are using UP9511s for the vCore VRM. If the VRM is the issue then it would affect pretty much any card using the reference design. This explains why the FTW3 is also having issues despite being a custom PCB - it's using UP9511s.

pax Oct 11, 2021 10:27 AM

Ya should be fixed with a simple driver... amd did the same thing in the vegas a while back where I used to get 1700 core with my mild undervolt its now maxed at 1683 mhz after a driver update.

bill dennison Oct 13, 2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

AMD RDNA 3: New GPUs may support 16K HDR with DisplayPort 2.0
https://nintendosmash.com/amd-rdna-3...splayport-2-0/

LordHawkwind Oct 15, 2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338310017)

Really what's the point talking about 16k hdr in RDNA 3? In current games 4K is just about achievable and 8K is still a pipe dream. By the time 16K HDR is a thing RDNA 3 will be as dead as a dodo. Same applies for 8K and 3090 it's a gimmick to try and future proof cards, that's all. Marketing BS.

demo Oct 15, 2021 08:44 PM

It's possible with FSR/DLSS. I think the biggest thing to take from that is it can output to a 16k display. Current GPU's support 8k max. What your games render at internally is another story.

pax Oct 15, 2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordHawkwind (Post 1338310269)
Really what's the point talking about 16k hdr in RDNA 3? In current games 4K is just about achievable and 8K is still a pipe dream. By the time 16K HDR is a thing RDNA 3 will be as dead as a dodo. Same applies for 8K and 3090 it's a gimmick to try and future proof cards, that's all. Marketing BS.

8k tvs are getting cheap, Ive seen some for ~1500$ cad locally, and I can see the next gen push for 16k easily with the rumored large perf increase of lovelace and navi3. I can see the gen after that targeting 16k so having some modest 16k capability in next years is reasonable. The same way the 5700xt was 4k/30-60 capable to some degree but it was the 6000 gen that pushed 4k harder.

bill dennison Oct 15, 2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338310307)
8k tvs are getting cheap, Ive seen some for ~1500$ cad locally, and I can see the next gen push for 16k easily with the rumored large perf increase of lovelace and navi3. I can see the gen after that targeting 16k so having some modest 16k capability in next years is reasonable. The same way the 5700xt was 4k/30-60 capable to some degree but it was the 6000 gen that pushed 4k harder.

I started 4k with AMD R9 290X cfx in 2015 four years before the 5700xt

you might be able to do 8k now if SLI/CFX still worked

pax Oct 16, 2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338310328)
I started 4k with AMD R9 290X cfx in 2015 four years before the 5700xt

you might be able to do 8k now if SLI/CFX still worked

Not sure we'll ever see that again but keep hearing about dual gpu on a single board tho its probably about chiplets from here on out. But if they used HBM, if they ever go back to that memory, could easily do 2 packages on a single board.

I can imagine the power useage tho. Im looking for a dual psu case now in case we need 2 750s which would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a single 1500w.

This one looks like it could be modded for that:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/t...ow-argb/5.html




LordHawkwind Oct 16, 2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax (Post 1338310307)
8k tvs are getting cheap, Ive seen some for ~1500$ cad locally, and I can see the next gen push for 16k easily with the rumored large perf increase of lovelace and navi3. I can see the gen after that targeting 16k so having some modest 16k capability in next years is reasonable. The same way the 5700xt was 4k/30-60 capable to some degree but it was the 6000 gen that pushed 4k harder.

Pax there is no 8K content regularly available for TV's. They are upscaling which isn't the same thing it's not native 8K. I considered a Samsung 8K TV but decided to buy a 4K one for now because by the time there is native 8K content TV's will have changed dramatically. Basically 16K TV's are probably a decade away if ever. TBH it's won't be mass market for a very long time so RDNA 3 with that support, what's the point? Same goes for Lovelace it's just marketing BS.

My 3090 supports 8k and with DLSS/DLAA it's meant to be OK but am I bothered? Absolutely not I'm only interested in what it can do for gaming today. Years from now I'll deal with then. I think 8K/16K are like VR. Meant to be the next best thing but just never happens because the mass market isn't really interested in it.

bill dennison Oct 16, 2021 02:31 PM

who cares about what is available for TV and movies

Games will play at 8k

and this is ok - but I have not looked into QNED

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...?skuId=6461910

give me a card that will give me 60 to 120 FPS at 8k and i'll buy it

pax Oct 16, 2021 02:37 PM

Yeah thats what I mean in getting an oled 43-48" 8k tv as a monitor. Or maybe a qled not sure yet with that screen burn thing. I plan an 8k mon upgrade in a year or so.

LordHawkwind Oct 16, 2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill dennison (Post 1338310392)
who cares about what is available for TV and movies

Games will play at 8k

and this is ok - but I have not looked into QNED

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...?skuId=6461910

give me a card that will give me 60 to 120 FPS at 8k and i'll buy it

Bill that TV/Monitor costs $2,799 and you'd need a next gen card costing about $2,000 to get your 60fps so really cheap at $4,799. I bet it will be real fun sitting 2 feet from a 65" TV/Monitor :lol:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright ©1998-2011 Rage3D.com