Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Operating Systems (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Installing Win11 now... (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34052840)

Trunks0 Jul 3, 2021 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x-voodoo (Post 1338293820)
That would be really cool if that's true. Other than it being older than the 8th gen CPU it literally meets ALL other requirements on their list!

Please note - I did not add any TPM module to my MSI motherboard...

*shrug* no idea. Could have just worked in error. Software is still in testing after all.

Munkus Jul 3, 2021 08:46 AM

i wonder why Win11 installed on my VM (Parallels on a Macbook Pro M1) when the VM doesn't have TPM and the processor isn't identified as being Intel.

Hapatingjaky Jul 7, 2021 08:50 AM

I've been having annoying issues on my notebook as of late with Windows 11 after using for the last week.

Nothing serious though, just annoying.

1.) Windows Security Center has to be manually started on startup. Pisses me off, everytime I restart or turn my notebook on I get a notification that the protection is disbaled. And I have to manually enable it.

2.) Entering safemode if a chore. On Windows 10 you just shift click + restart and you are presented with an options screen. Windows 11 you shift click + restart, the PC resets and then goes to an option screen. Then it resests again once you choose your option.

3.) Entering safemode causes Explorer.EXE to crash. Was updating my GPU driver to the 471.22 Hotfix. Got in to safemode only to constantly get an Explorer.exe has crashed errors constantly over and over and over again. Took me a bit to get beyond that point but just left the erorr window open while I ran DDU.

4.) Right clicking to use Nvidia Control Panel or 7Zip does not appear in the tab window. Instead you need to go to MORE OPTIONS to get those options.

dodger Jul 12, 2021 06:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivpAiuh-s0

Probably more than you ever want to know about installing Win11 on old machines, all the way back to Core2Duo machines.

Lots of reg edits

Edit: Linus implies that AMD/Intel has their part in the official requirements, something to do with driver supports.

pax Jul 19, 2021 09:18 PM

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/di...ign=socialflow

Quote:

A recent Microsoft blog post has corrected the company's earlier statement that DirectStorage, a tech that boosts storage performance to improve gaming, would only be available in Windows 11. Now Microsoft has clarified that DirectStorage will indeed support both Windows 10 and Windows 11.

DirectStorage is a new storage acceleration API, currently used in Xbox Series consoles, that improves game loading times by allowing game data to be transferred directly from an NVMe SSD to the GPU, thus bypassing the CPU.

To further speed up performance, DirectStorage also includes a new GPU decompression technology that supports higher decompression I/O rates and bandwidth than CPUs. That also makes the GPU a better option to decompress game assets.

The only caveat with Windows 10's implementation of DirectStorage will be its older storage stacks -- a set of drivers that allows applications and Windows to communicate with storage devices. This will lead to reduced system performance, compared to Windows 11, but is still better than having no DirectStorage technology at all.
Really thought they would force us into win11 for this.

andino Aug 2, 2021 12:17 PM

Anyone using this as a daily runner yet?

GSGRUNT Aug 3, 2021 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andino (Post 1338298560)
Anyone using this as a daily runner yet?

I have been using it as my main PC since post #1 of this thread. No Ragerts.

Munkus Aug 3, 2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSGRUNT (Post 1338298671)
I have been using it as my main PC since post #1 of this thread. No Ragerts.

I think she was going for No Rugrats. :bleh:

I use Win 11 Arm64 in Parellels on my MBP M1 for work. There are several programs required for work that don't have a MacOS version, so I use a VM. Namely Visio and MS Project. Absolutely no problems so far.

Lazy8s Aug 3, 2021 11:01 AM

I would probably have Ragerts about posting a pic of Caitlin Jenner (there’s stubble on the neck :cry: ) but…..

I might try this on my ancient gaming pc for a daily driver. You guys think there would be any security concerns? All things being equal (vpn, anti-virus and all) or should I wait? Any compelling reason to upgrade?

Munkus Aug 3, 2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazy8s (Post 1338298699)
I would probably have Ragerts about posting a pic of Caitlin Jenner (there’s stubble on the neck :cry: ) but…..

I might try this on my ancient gaming pc for a daily driver. You guys think there would be any security concerns? All things being equal (vpn, anti-virus and all) or should I wait? Any compelling reason to upgrade?

Does your ancient gaming pc meet the requirements, such as TPM and secure boot? If so, go for it. The latest build is beta now, so it's probably stable enough for basic use.

Lazy8s Aug 3, 2021 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338298710)
Does your ancient gaming pc meet the requirements, such as TPM and secure boot? If so, go for it. The latest build is beta now, so it's probably stable enough for basic use.

I doubt it's even worth the trouble at this point. Don't mind me, just brain farting.

Silent-Runner Aug 4, 2021 03:27 AM

is it worth it? No, not at this point. Could you do it? Of course, but why would you want it?

Falck Aug 27, 2021 09:20 AM

It's definately worth it. Been running it since it got available through dev channel and haven't regretted making the transition.

Especially since the UI have gotten a good overhaul. Sitting with an UW monitor I enjoy the tweaking of the UI!

And haven't run into any system breaking issues for me, other than desktop manager suddenly get sluggish, but a reboot fixes that. Happens every other day (my system runs 24/7), so not a big problem.

Nascar24 Aug 31, 2021 12:20 PM

When officially released I will load it up, Looks like that day is Oct 5th, I am always looking for punishment.:bleh:

Megaman Sep 1, 2021 04:34 AM

I'm waiting for official release. Happy to wait.

Greasy Sep 1, 2021 04:45 PM

Did you have to do a clean install? I'm actually curious to try it out on my rig.

Munkus Sep 1, 2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy (Post 1338303853)
Did you have to do a clean install? I'm actually curious to try it out on my rig.

On my work VM, it installed via Windows Update and went seamlessly.

acroig Sep 1, 2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338303684)
I am always looking for punishment.:bleh:

Get married then. :p

Greasy Sep 2, 2021 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338303877)
On my work VM, it installed via Windows Update and went seamlessly.

I ran the beta channel update last night on my rig. Went well, and I haven't had any issues. Basically win 10 with rounded edges, and a new start menu.

GSGRUNT Sep 2, 2021 08:22 PM

Had my first real issue today. Task bar crashed and would not display. Reboots didn't help.

Had to do a system restore back to a few days ago.

[edit] I'm in the beta channel now. Switching from dev channel may have triggered the issue.

azalea Sep 3, 2021 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy (Post 1338303853)

I'm dual booting. Not difficult, especially now there's a full install official iso out.

I am perfectly happy though using win11 as my main OS, despite some taskbar missing feature annoyance, until last night happened...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSGRUNT (Post 1338304054)
Had my first real issue today. Task bar crashed and would not display. Reboots didn't help.

Had to do a system restore back to a few days ago.

[edit] I'm in the beta channel now. Switching from dev channel may have triggered the issue.

Nah, this was affecting a huge number of people, myself included. Apparently some service was hanging, that was tied into the system date or time - people were able to get it to work by advancing a few days.

The official fix was to run an elevated command to remove a certain registry entry.

Everyone on beta and dev could have got the update yesterday, but some time zones weren't affected :nuts: It wasn't using time.windows.com though as some people posited, cus I run NTP on my firewall so don't use Windows to sync time, myself.

Check the windows11 subreddit for a lot of happy posts. Windows 11 is definitely ready to go live a month from now.

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

Munkus Sep 20, 2021 07:27 PM

Well I grabbed the preview ISO and installed it over Windows 10 on my main system. The upgrade was smooth, all my apps and settings ported over without a hitch. I take that back, only 1 hitch - it didn't like Start10 (Stardock's Start menu replacement). Honestly I forgot I had that. Don't need it, so I uninstalled it. I actually kinda like the new Start menu.

Nvidia also released a Win11 driver today, so games are running great. I'm not a huge fan of the changes to the Windows 11 Settings menus, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Nascar24 Sep 21, 2021 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338303883)
Get married then. :p

Already did, That was a failure! No more of that nonsense, hookers and blow are cheaper :p Well I couldn't wait any longer, joined the Dev channel and loaded the bitch up, I guess it is now beyond the Release version that comes out on the 5th. Upgrade went unusually smoothly!

Nascar24 Sep 22, 2021 09:55 AM

Anyone know what happens if you drop out of the preview dev channel before windows 11 is released? Just curious at this point, explorer crashed on boot up this morning and I would drop and go to a normal stable release if that is what would happen, if back to windows 10 though I would avoid it.

Falck Sep 22, 2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338306912)
Anyone know what happens if you drop out of the preview dev channel before windows 11 is released? Just curious at this point, explorer crashed on boot up this morning and I would drop and go to a normal stable release if that is what would happen, if back to windows 10 though I would avoid it.

You can try the beta channel.

Nascar24 Sep 22, 2021 11:01 AM

I was wondering more of what would happen if I drop out altogether? Would it try to put windows 10 back on?

Falck Sep 22, 2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338306926)
I was wondering more of what would happen if I drop out altogether? Would it try to put windows 10 back on?

No, you just won't receive any updates.

Nascar24 Sep 22, 2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falck (Post 1338306930)
No, you just won't receive any updates.

:up: Guess I stay in for now.

Falck Sep 22, 2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338306933)
:up: Guess I stay in for now.

Yeah, good idea. I have had to reinstall W11 two times because of borked installs. Last time i forgot to enroll so i didn't receive any updates for over a week.

lmchv Sep 24, 2021 03:20 PM

And it's out for Insiders in the Technical Preview channel

Final release build:

Just installed and everything is running smoothly.