Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Operating Systems (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Installing Win11 now... (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34052840)

Lazy8s Aug 3, 2021 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338298710)
Does your ancient gaming pc meet the requirements, such as TPM and secure boot? If so, go for it. The latest build is beta now, so it's probably stable enough for basic use.

I doubt it's even worth the trouble at this point. Don't mind me, just brain farting.

Silent-Runner Aug 4, 2021 03:27 AM

is it worth it? No, not at this point. Could you do it? Of course, but why would you want it?

Falck Aug 27, 2021 09:20 AM

It's definately worth it. Been running it since it got available through dev channel and haven't regretted making the transition.

Especially since the UI have gotten a good overhaul. Sitting with an UW monitor I enjoy the tweaking of the UI!

And haven't run into any system breaking issues for me, other than desktop manager suddenly get sluggish, but a reboot fixes that. Happens every other day (my system runs 24/7), so not a big problem.

Nascar24 Aug 31, 2021 12:20 PM

When officially released I will load it up, Looks like that day is Oct 5th, I am always looking for punishment.:bleh:

Megaman Sep 1, 2021 04:34 AM

I'm waiting for official release. Happy to wait.

Greasy Sep 1, 2021 04:45 PM

Did you have to do a clean install? I'm actually curious to try it out on my rig.

Munkus Sep 1, 2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy (Post 1338303853)
Did you have to do a clean install? I'm actually curious to try it out on my rig.

On my work VM, it installed via Windows Update and went seamlessly.

acroig Sep 1, 2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338303684)
I am always looking for punishment.:bleh:

Get married then. :p

Greasy Sep 2, 2021 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338303877)
On my work VM, it installed via Windows Update and went seamlessly.

I ran the beta channel update last night on my rig. Went well, and I haven't had any issues. Basically win 10 with rounded edges, and a new start menu.

GSGRUNT Sep 2, 2021 08:22 PM

Had my first real issue today. Task bar crashed and would not display. Reboots didn't help.

Had to do a system restore back to a few days ago.

[edit] I'm in the beta channel now. Switching from dev channel may have triggered the issue.

azalea Sep 3, 2021 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasy (Post 1338303853)

I'm dual booting. Not difficult, especially now there's a full install official iso out.

I am perfectly happy though using win11 as my main OS, despite some taskbar missing feature annoyance, until last night happened...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSGRUNT (Post 1338304054)
Had my first real issue today. Task bar crashed and would not display. Reboots didn't help.

Had to do a system restore back to a few days ago.

[edit] I'm in the beta channel now. Switching from dev channel may have triggered the issue.

Nah, this was affecting a huge number of people, myself included. Apparently some service was hanging, that was tied into the system date or time - people were able to get it to work by advancing a few days.

The official fix was to run an elevated command to remove a certain registry entry.

Everyone on beta and dev could have got the update yesterday, but some time zones weren't affected :nuts: It wasn't using time.windows.com though as some people posited, cus I run NTP on my firewall so don't use Windows to sync time, myself.

Check the windows11 subreddit for a lot of happy posts. Windows 11 is definitely ready to go live a month from now.

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

Munkus Sep 20, 2021 07:27 PM

Well I grabbed the preview ISO and installed it over Windows 10 on my main system. The upgrade was smooth, all my apps and settings ported over without a hitch. I take that back, only 1 hitch - it didn't like Start10 (Stardock's Start menu replacement). Honestly I forgot I had that. Don't need it, so I uninstalled it. I actually kinda like the new Start menu.

Nvidia also released a Win11 driver today, so games are running great. I'm not a huge fan of the changes to the Windows 11 Settings menus, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Nascar24 Sep 21, 2021 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338303883)
Get married then. :p

Already did, That was a failure! No more of that nonsense, hookers and blow are cheaper :p Well I couldn't wait any longer, joined the Dev channel and loaded the bitch up, I guess it is now beyond the Release version that comes out on the 5th. Upgrade went unusually smoothly!

Nascar24 Sep 22, 2021 09:55 AM

Anyone know what happens if you drop out of the preview dev channel before windows 11 is released? Just curious at this point, explorer crashed on boot up this morning and I would drop and go to a normal stable release if that is what would happen, if back to windows 10 though I would avoid it.

Falck Sep 22, 2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338306912)
Anyone know what happens if you drop out of the preview dev channel before windows 11 is released? Just curious at this point, explorer crashed on boot up this morning and I would drop and go to a normal stable release if that is what would happen, if back to windows 10 though I would avoid it.

You can try the beta channel.

Nascar24 Sep 22, 2021 11:01 AM

I was wondering more of what would happen if I drop out altogether? Would it try to put windows 10 back on?

Falck Sep 22, 2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338306926)
I was wondering more of what would happen if I drop out altogether? Would it try to put windows 10 back on?

No, you just won't receive any updates.

Nascar24 Sep 22, 2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falck (Post 1338306930)
No, you just won't receive any updates.

:up: Guess I stay in for now.

Falck Sep 22, 2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nascar24 (Post 1338306933)
:up: Guess I stay in for now.

Yeah, good idea. I have had to reinstall W11 two times because of borked installs. Last time i forgot to enroll so i didn't receive any updates for over a week.

lmchv Sep 24, 2021 03:20 PM

And it's out for Insiders in the Technical Preview channel

Final release build:

Just installed and everything is running smoothly.

Falck Sep 24, 2021 03:48 PM

so 194 is final?

Nascar24 Sep 24, 2021 10:40 PM

So I checked if I can leave the dev channel and no dice, only way to leave now is by a full reinstall. Bleh, I thought you could easily move about this chit, I guess not. I guess I stay here until I have some major problem. Updated to the current release after just installing a few days ago and had an install failure on first attempt, second attempt worked so all was good, last build wasnt all that smooth for me. had terrible mouse lag until everything loaded and some taskbar crashes. Lets see how this one goes.:o

lmchv Sep 25, 2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falck (Post 1338307254)
so 194 is final?

They usually release the RTM version for Technical Preview channel before general availability, so yes, this should be the version being released on Oct 5th, unless some major bug happens.

Munkus Sep 25, 2021 01:45 PM

There are still quite a few bugs to be ironed out. Even blatant ones like some of the Windows Update Advanced Options crashing when you select them. But Windows is never truly finished. It's "good enough" for the general public now, and bug fixes will be a regular thing just like with Win 10.

Nascar24 Sep 25, 2021 07:18 PM

Yep, latest build in the Dev channel is no different, everything has to load before the mouse lag stops, maybe I will try hibernate to get around it.

Edit: So having everything already loaded works for this but I have never been that fond of hibernate, we will see, in my years using it, it either turns itself on by itself or fails to properly load at times. we will see, I have a chit load of stuff loading at startup but it never seemed to bother windows 10. Its always the same with a new OS though, takes months to get it all right. Works fine once everything is up.

barleystout Sep 28, 2021 03:17 PM

Does anyone know if the following is implemented in Win 11?

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/direc...rearrangement/

lmchv Sep 28, 2021 05:22 PM

And Windows Hello broke today, it just does not work with my Logitech Brio. It was working fine after upgrade some days ago, but now refuses to work again. :bleh:

Nascar24 Sep 28, 2021 07:36 PM

The Dev build on my system I cant pull the calendar or notifies up when I want, Its funny because a half hour later it will all of a sudden start working and pop up and stay working for a while and then fail again like now.

Nascar24 Sep 30, 2021 07:20 AM

Anybody ever been in the Dev channel? Is it normal they just put out new builds every 3 to 5 days and dont use normal updates? I was expecting maybe a build every few months and they would just use updates, this reloading windows every few days to get those updates is ridiculous. Probably will have to do a reload when 11 comes out if that's the case, Should have waited I guess.

pax Sep 30, 2021 10:45 AM

Anyone try this tool to bypass the hw check requirements?

https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc7...b5d65613187b15

Quote:

Universal MediaCreationTool wrapper for all MCT Windows 10 versions from 1507 to 21H1 with business (Enterprise) edition support

A powerful yet simple windows 1X deployment automation tool as well!

awesome gui dialogs to pick windows version and preset action
Auto Setup choice for upgrade directly without prompts, with edition change / intelligent fallback
Create ISO choice for authoring iso file directly via DIR2ISO snippet, including any 'oem' customizations
Create USB choice for authoring usb via native MCT, including any 'oem' customizations (prompts once)
Select in MCT choice for vanilla MCT processing without 'oem' modifications, script quits straightway
control via set script vars, commandline parameters or rename script like iso 21H2 Pro MediaCreationTool.bat
set recommended windows setup options that give the least amount of issues when doing upgrades
pickup $OEM$ folder with post setup tweaks like $OEM$\$$\Setup\Scripts\ setupcomplete.cmd or OOBE.cmd
write sources\PID.txt file to preselect edition at media boot or windows setup
write auto.cmd file to run auto setup without prompts from media, on demand
11: Skip TPM Check on media boot via winpeshl.ini file (cleaner than altering system hive directly)
11: Skip TPM Check on dynamic update - system-wide (works for insider previews), also as standalone toggle script

Munkus Sep 30, 2021 11:16 AM

Honestly, Win 11 isn't worth jumping through hoops to get and install. If your hardware is supported, by all means upgrade. If not...stick with Win 10. You're not missing much.

lmchv Oct 1, 2021 05:26 PM

I have 6 computers at home, only 3 support Windows 11. On the other 3 I will deploy Windows 11 after it's officially out, have an old Surface Pro 3 for testing :D

My main desktop runs Windows 11 smoothly, the Hello issue is solved, somehow...

acroig Oct 2, 2021 11:56 AM

Just installed on the Lenovo laptop. No issues so far.

LordHawkwind Oct 2, 2021 04:31 PM

Installed a few weeks ago and all is well. No BSOD's or anything like that. Seems very stable. Games play fine so not complaining.

koralis Oct 2, 2021 07:45 PM

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-p...g-performance/

Beware VBS.. Virtualization. Can hurt game framer ate by 28%

acroig Oct 2, 2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koralis (Post 1338308241)
https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-p...g-performance/

Beware VBS.. Virtualization. Can hurt game framer ate by 28%

You saw this, right?

"And if you're upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 then you don't have to worry about VBS being enabled, unless you were already running an enterprise version of the older OS, that is. The issue comes if you're receiving a machine which has had an OEM build of Windows 11 installed on it."

Munkus Oct 3, 2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acroig (Post 1338308242)
You saw this, right?

"And if you're upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 then you don't have to worry about VBS being enabled, unless you were already running an enterprise version of the older OS, that is. The issue comes if you're receiving a machine which has had an OEM build of Windows 11 installed on it."

I upgraded from 10 to 11 via the ISO, and in my case VBS is enabled. :( I'm using Pro, not Enterprise or whatever if that matters. I don't recall whether it was turned on in Win 10. It's a bizitch to turn off VBS though.:mad:

acroig Oct 3, 2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munkus (Post 1338308309)
I upgraded from 10 to 11 via the ISO, and in my case VBS is enabled. :( I'm using Pro, not Enterprise or whatever if that matters. I don't recall whether it was turned on in Win 10. It's a bizitch to turn off VBS though.:mad:

:eek:

Lazy8s Oct 4, 2021 08:44 AM

Iím still holding off for a while. I donít expect issues due to acroigís success with it (same exact laptops) but I donít want to be an early adopter this time around.

Munkus Oct 4, 2021 10:39 AM

I figured out how to permanently disable VBS, but honestly I'm not seeing any difference in fps in games.