Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   -Post pics of your computer- (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33744307)

moshpit Jul 15, 2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] (Post 1335037248)
I meant in the lower cage not on a lower mount in the same cage. The lower cage is the one that is directly across from the power supply in its own separate compartment. (See the second pull ring?) This compartment usually has a fan in it too.

If it does have a fan, then that would be a good route and I'll agree. If no fan, then I stand by believing it's in the right place.

CR2500 Jul 16, 2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] (Post 1335037248)
I meant in the lower cage not on a lower mount in the same cage. The lower cage is the one that is directly across from the power supply in its own separate compartment. (See the second pull ring?) This compartment usually has a fan in it too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1335037302)
If it does have a fan, then that would be a good route and I'll agree. If no fan, then I stand by believing it's in the right place.

lol, the intake fan is in front of the HDD, but im not sure if it was there already, or if I moved it. There are filtered vents, and fan mounts, in front of both HDD cages. If its better to move the fan and HDD, I can ;)

SD-[Inc] Jul 16, 2007 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CR2500 (Post 1335038976)
lol, the intake fan is in front of the HDD, but im not sure if it was there already, or if I moved it. There are filtered vents, and fan mounts, in front of both HDD cages. If its better to move the fan and HDD, I can ;)

You moved it. It comes stock with the fan in the bottom compartment. Taking that fan out means you now have dramatically reduced the airflow in your lower chamber. Case fans don't cool your components directly. They are responsible for moving the heated air out of your case. To me it looks like you now have your 8800 mounted on top of a heater and have a fan blowing hot air onto it.

moshpit Jul 17, 2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] (Post 1335039071)
You moved it. It comes stock with the fan in the bottom compartment. Taking that fan out means you now have dramatically reduced the airflow in your lower chamber. Case fans don't cool your components directly. They are responsible for moving the heated air out of your case. To me it looks like you now have your 8800 mounted on top of a heater and have a fan blowing hot air onto it.

How is the air any warmer where it's at then it will be coming up from the bottom? Down there it will STILL have the hard drive in front of it, it's the only fan and HAS to cool his drive. So your saying run his drive uncooled then? Yes, one CAN do that, and it will survive fine most likely. BUT, I always cool my large capacity drives. So in fact I cannot agree with you on this. Your way will move the fan down a bit, but accomplish nothing. The HD is still warming the air coming in, but the PSU in the bottom did nothing to the air in the case since it exhausts air out the back of the case as it is. So what we have is 6 one way, half a dozen the other. Sorry, that's a waste of time for very minimal to no benefit.

SD-[Inc] Jul 17, 2007 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1335039537)
How is the air any warmer where it's at then it will be coming up from the bottom? Down there it will STILL have the hard drive in front of it, it's the only fan and HAS to cool his drive. So your saying run his drive uncooled then? Yes, one CAN do that, and it will survive fine most likely. BUT, I always cool my large capacity drives. So in fact I cannot agree with you on this. Your way will move the fan down a bit, but accomplish nothing. The HD is still warming the air coming in, but the PSU in the bottom did nothing to the air in the case since it exhausts air out the back of the case as it is. So what we have is 6 one way, half a dozen the other. Sorry, that's a waste of time for very minimal to no benefit.

I thought that the whole idea of the second compartment was to create 2 isolated environments. The fan on the bottom was to keep the air flowing in the bottom compartment so it doesn't get too hot and cause heat to start seeping into the upper compartment. Also, as far as heat generation goes, I consider the CPU and GPU to be the major heat sources. So I tried to keep them as isolated from all my other components as possible. On my system, the hard drive is way down on the list of items that needs to monopolize the cooling in my case. But, I can see your point if you are running a large array of drives, this could be different.

moshpit Jul 17, 2007 11:28 AM

It's more about the detail that when I was working in the service end of the PC industry, I saw early on that drives tend to live longer and healthier lives if cooled directly. Exact data is really hard to quantify on this subject, but it certainly seemed that PC's that actively cooled the hard drive had less drive issues over time. That's for SINGLE drive machines too. Many folks who have worked in the service end have learned this the hard way. And a single drive doesn't affect the incoming air temp as much as your assuming. In fact, it's far more beneficial to the drive then it is detrimental to anything else.

SD-[Inc] Jul 17, 2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1335039625)
It's more about the detail that when I was working in the service end of the PC industry, I saw early on that drives tend to live longer and healthier lives if cooled directly. Exact data is really hard to quantify on this subject, but it certainly seemed that PC's that actively cooled the hard drive had less drive issues over time. That's for SINGLE drive machines too. Many folks who have worked in the service end have learned this the hard way. And a single drive doesn't affect the incoming air temp as much as your assuming. In fact, it's far more beneficial to the drive then it is detrimental to anything else.

That does sound like a good idea and I am not arguing against doing that. But, you can't really blow air directly onto the components that are generating heat. (Since they are inside the case of the drive). So blowing air over the HD doesn't really cool the hard drive in the same way as a heatsink/fan does a CPU. But it does make sure that the air doesn't stagnate around the drive and become too heated. So, it is critical to not have your hard-drive in a place that doesn't have good airflow. (Like the lower chamber of a P182 once the fan has been removed). The whole idea behind the 2 chamber design is to optimize airflow and separate components to minimize the ambient temperatures in the case. Antec has designed a space to add a fan to do exactly as you are talking. I have no problem doing that. My complaint is that the existing fan is removed and used instead. I am not sure why you would buy a 2 chamber case and then mod it to be a one chamber case. You'd be better off buying a case that was designed to be a single chamber instead.

moshpit Jul 17, 2007 04:07 PM

I'll agree with all of that :D

cjl64 Jul 18, 2007 12:02 AM

this page is loaded with sweet rigs!!:bleh: ... j/k:heart: i keep saying this.. but i will soon post my setup.. it really is nice:D

nycdarkness Jul 18, 2007 07:49 PM

This is after my watercooling died, and like freakin countless mobo swaps. Still need to redo the wiring, which is why my back case door is not attached.

Still considering going all out air and getting a stacker >.>

Nunz Jul 18, 2007 08:18 PM

wierd.. all your lights are on but no fans spinning lmao.. What kind of case is that? Kind of looks like mine with different fans.. Thermaltake Armor Series..

moshpit Jul 18, 2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunz (Post 1335042420)
wierd.. all your lights are on but no fans spinning lmao.. What kind of case is that? Kind of looks like mine with different fans.. Thermaltake Armor Series..

High speed digital camera's make fans appear to stop spinning when in fact they are.

cjl64 Jul 18, 2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1335042439)
High speed digital camera's make fans appear to stop spinning when in fact they are.

i think he knew that... he was making a funny:p

moshpit Jul 18, 2007 08:59 PM

Damn you people and your jokes :hmm: :D

cjl64 Jul 18, 2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1335042506)
Damn you people and your jokes :hmm: :D

A man walks into a bar............ then says ouch. :bleh: Okay so that was lame:o

OverclockN' Jul 18, 2007 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjl64 (Post 1335042511)
A man walks into a bar............ then says ouch. :bleh: Okay so that was lame:o

:yep:

cjl64 Jul 18, 2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1335042620)
:yep:

damn you!!!!!!! :lol:

ultimadrift Jul 18, 2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjl64 (Post 1335042511)

AHAHAHA I LMAO XD lol
seriously thugh wat kind of camera is that?? and whered u get it lol sorry for being off topic and heres my new case :)

And the KON plushie rules all and owns all of my property XD

cjl64 Jul 18, 2007 10:03 PM

OMg... i want a stuffed Kon doll!! also.. nice setup:D

The Pig Jul 18, 2007 11:55 PM

I can't believe you let your PS3 have all those smear marks. That would drive me crazy.

nycdarkness Jul 19, 2007 12:51 AM

i took the pics with a fairly old camera of mine. Sony dsc-t1.

Qb2k5 Jul 19, 2007 01:00 AM

Hey nycdarkness,

You have a monster computer. Could you post some HDTACH readings please?

Trunks0 Jul 19, 2007 06:47 AM

Nice looking display there ultimadrift :up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjl64 (Post 1335042687)
OMg... i want a stuffed Kon doll!! also.. nice setup:D

Me too!.........althougth to be honest I'll probably buy one this august at the AnimeEvolution Co.....store,yes the AnimeEvolution store.....:bleh:

SD-[Inc] Jul 20, 2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1335043175)
Nice looking display there ultimadrift :up:

Me too!.........althougth to be honest I'll probably buy one this august at the AnimeEvolution Co.....store,yes the AnimeEvolution store.....:bleh:

I dunno, those samuri swords kind of make me nervous...:eek:

moshpit Jul 20, 2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] (Post 1335045308)

I too keep my swords right above my PC on the wall. I also keep an M4 right above those, hell of a display ;)

CR2500 Jul 20, 2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] (Post 1335045308)

he stole it from samurai_crip :runaway:

SD-[Inc] Jul 21, 2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1335045537)
I too keep my swords right above my PC on the wall. I also keep an M4 right above those, hell of a display ;)

nycdarkness Jul 22, 2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qb2k5 (Post 1335042969)
Hey nycdarkness,

You have a monster computer. Could you post some HDTACH readings please?

Sorry, totally forgot to post it up.

Short bench

Long Bench

Xion X2 Jul 23, 2007 05:50 PM

TRD Supra Jul 23, 2007 11:25 PM

^ Thats very nice:up: is the memory have water cooling also?