Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   -Post pics of your computer- (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33744307)

ati man Dec 27, 2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leprechaun (Post 1335272657)
thank you! and I do!
first victim is HL2E2 at 1920x1080 and it runs perfect! looks great!!!!! Also just watched two 1080p movies :)

very nice, I love having a nice hdtv as my monitor too :)

OlderBudweiser Dec 28, 2007 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtangwai (Post 1335267800)
My computer is fairly modest compared to some of the monsters posted:

PentiumD 930 3.0GHz dualcore
Asus P5WD2 Premium motherboard
3GB DDR2 PC3200 RAM
36GB Raptor SATA
500GB Barracuda PATA
300GB Barracuda PATA
2 DVD+/-RW DL PATA
Asus X1800XL 256MB PCI-E
ATI X800 256MB Crossfire Master PCI-E
ATI X300 128MB PCI-E
Audigy2 ZS
WinXP Pro
Chieftec Dragon full-tower case
Logitech DiNovo USB keyboard
Logitech MX1000 Bluetooth laser mouse
Logitech 4000 Pro webcam
Logitech 640 5.1 speakers

This part is my pride and joy:

2 Samsung SyncMaster 931c 19" LCDs (one more on order)
2 Hyundai L90D+ 19" LCDs
1 Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
1 Dell 1800FP 18" LCD

I find this layout optimal for my tastes. I prefer the primary monitor to be in the center for gaming, so there must be an odd number of monitors in a row. I've tried 5x2 and 3x3 arrays, but they hurt my neck. My wife prefers a single monitor, so for Christmas I gave her a 24" Samsung SyncMaster 244T 24" which has nearly the space of her old setup (1 Hyundai L90D+ 19" rotated, 1 Dell 1800FP 18"). She and I think completely differently: I multitask lots, testing software on multiple virtual machines hence six monitors - she's an artist, so she wants a single canvas with no lines, no borders in the middle.

Now what I need is three vertical dual VESA mounts so I can rig all the monitor bezels to touch :)

too much distraction from Nicole:D

rtangwai Dec 29, 2007 10:29 AM

Maybe - but highly entertaining :D

Qb2k5 Jan 2, 2008 11:57 PM

Clean it up a little bit, get a clean desk and this setup would be perfect.

But thats still an awesome pr0n setup.

Arc_Angel Jan 4, 2008 03:48 PM

My backup rig #1

Just updgraded with an evga 8800 GTS 512 vid card :drool:

ultimadrift Jan 4, 2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arc_Angel (Post 1335300158)
My backup rig #1

Just updgraded with an evga 8800 GTS 512 vid card :drool:

Your gonna be folding with those 3 quads right ;)

Arc_Angel Jan 4, 2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimadrift (Post 1335300367)
Your gonna be folding with those 3 quads right ;)

yeah, but just with another team...:bleh:

DaJMasta Jan 11, 2008 01:04 AM

Eh quality shots, but from my latest (re)build:

Some of the parts dropped in the monster:

A shot with the side panel off and the old pump system (hand-crafted from a formerly 1/4 inch external system), but which cluttered up the already small and cluttered case pretty bad:

And a shot of my tower assembled, with the new pump and reservoir:

Maybe I'll get a better pic when I get to a more lit computing environment....

VVanks Jan 11, 2008 01:12 AM

I have a Antec P180 as well and just want to hear comments about other people's Antec P180's. Are they quiet? Mine isn't. It's pretty loud an annoying. 150 for sound proofing? Sounds the same as any regular case.

Only when I set my case fans to lowest is it barely tolerable. I think it's my PSU, I've got a coolmaster 550w PSU.

moshpit Jan 11, 2008 08:00 AM

Damn, Dajmasta, couldn't you have peeled off the AMD sticker before putting the Intel sticker on it? The Intel sticker doesn't exactly cover it up totally :p

benjy355 Jan 11, 2008 02:39 PM

I got a new keyboard/mouse ^_^

I can't get my TV AND my second monitor to be on at the same time :(

DaJMasta Jan 11, 2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1335308848)
Damn, Dajmasta, couldn't you have peeled off the AMD sticker before putting the Intel sticker on it? The Intel sticker doesn't exactly cover it up totally :p

I considered it, then I just decided it would leave a bunch of goo which would take forever to get off. So I left it for the history :)

Pirate Neilsouth Jan 12, 2008 01:53 PM

moshpit Jan 12, 2008 02:13 PM

Hell yeah, swords just go with computers. People don't seem to get that usually :p

Pirate Neilsouth Jan 12, 2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1335310316)
Hell yeah, swords just go with computers. People don't seem to get that usually :p

Yeh , thought i'd slip that thing in there :D

benjy355 Jan 12, 2008 02:17 PM

It's so... clean... :|

Qb2k5 Jan 14, 2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate Neilsouth (Post 1335310295)

This bad boy also powers your Mame games, eh? :D

Deaderinred Jan 15, 2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qb2k5 (Post 1335313226)

no the sword does, i hear it holds one thousand tormented souls enslaved forever to fuel neilsouth's gaming addiction.

Pirate Neilsouth Jan 15, 2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qb2k5 (Post 1335313226)

Ofcause :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deaderinred (Post 1335313808)
no the sword does, i hear it holds one thousand tormented souls enslaved forever to fuel neilsouth's gaming addiction.

Yes and the sword does +50 damage and increases my strength by +20 :evil:

moshpit Jan 15, 2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate Neilsouth (Post 1335313828)
Yes and the sword does +50 damage and increases my strength by +20 :evil:

Damn, sounds like you should name that sucker Stormbringer :p

Crag2804 Jan 18, 2008 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirate Neilsouth (Post 1335310295)

I used to have that monitor, it had a stuck pixel.

Pirate Neilsouth Jan 18, 2008 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crag2804 (Post 1335318085)
I used to have that monitor, it had a stuck pixel.

Lies , i got it brand new :bleh:

:p:p

SD-[Inc] Jan 19, 2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVanks (Post 1335308674)
I have a Antec P180 as well and just want to hear comments about other people's Antec P180's. Are they quiet? Mine isn't. It's pretty loud an annoying. 150 for sound proofing? Sounds the same as any regular case.

Only when I set my case fans to lowest is it barely tolerable. I think it's my PSU, I've got a coolmaster 550w PSU.

It really depends on what CPU cooler and PSU you have. I run a 120MM fan at 1500RPMs on my CPU cooler and have a Corsair PSU and my PC can be nearly silent. (I have a P182).

caveman-jim Jan 20, 2008 02:20 AM

Here's some :Pics: of my P182b I bought this week. Thanks to Outpost.com, I got it for $45, AR. Free ground shipping got it to me in 2 days, I was expecting a 4-5 day delivery delay - pleased with that.

Haven't had a chance to fire it up yet, this took 9 hours to tear down my old setup and install in my new one because:
  • Someone crapped their pants, 4 times.
  • Someone lost their toy, 6 times.
  • Someone spilled a drink, 4 times.
  • Someone got hurt, 7 times, including 1 trip to the E.R., and 1 phone call to the Dr's Office.
  • Someone was hungry, and didn't want to eat anything in the house, 2 times.
  • It snowed. Snow lasted 2 hours. During this period I was getting food because someone was hungry.
  • Someone took/looked at/talked about a toy someone else was using, resulting in crying/fighting/whining.

Here are the pics, fresh from the build table - or the dining room table with a beach towel on it, so cave woman doesn't :runaway:

Rear 3/4 View

Front 3/4 View

Internals

Internals, again

Back, side panel removed

The only addition I made to the case was a Yate Loon 120mm fan in the upper HD bay, in front of the drive bay. This increases air intake and flow over the graphics card, NB/SB and any HD's you install in the upper chamber.

I like the case, has a very good quality feel to it. During install I found the routing holes for power/data cables to be very good, well matched with the cables on my Corsair VX 550 and the socket locations on the IP35-E motherboard.

I don't understand the purpose of the plastic shield over the upper/lower chamber separation, it seems over designed.
The front case door has a magnet to close it fully, and keep it held closed. USB & audio ports are exposed when the door is open, but air vents are not.
I like the ability to lock the front panel, because then little fingers won't be able to push buttons, but I'd like a cover over the USB/audio ports as well. A nice touch for the case was the dual HD/AC97 front panel audio connector, on the same cable. The case also features a second HD led indicator, if your mobo has two data strobes for HD activity, or you use an add-in controller.

I had to remove the top fan to connect the EPS12v connector to the IP35-E motherboard. This was because of the monster GeminiII heat sink. It's actually a good thing there was a top fan, as I was able to look through the grill to get the connector installed. Would have been a big PITA otherwise.

I installed the PSU inverted from normal position, as there appears to be a bigger gap above the PSU than below for air intake. Also I wanted the PSU switch closer to the left side, as I usually sit with the case on my right side, and this brings it closer if I want to cut off AC supply (for CMOS reset, or during T-storm etc.). This did reduce the length of the cables fractionally, but not enough to prevent any connections or cause any special routing.

I installed my Hauppauge TV card in the middle PCI slot, as installing in the lower PCI slot blocked the upper/lower chamber PSU cable passage, and rendered the card useless - TV connection will not attach to the rear inputs, because of the lower edge of the case extrusion. Look in the first pic, and you'll see what I mean - the backplane is recessed a little, which is great for protecting connections from bumping/bending when the case is pushed against a wall or desk. I do like the PCI slot backplane covers being slotted for extra airflow, as I typically remove mine for the same reason. However, this is another ingress for dust and pet hair.

The case comes with a large box of screws, standoffs, extra HDD rubber mounts, small zip ties and cable restraints. These last were very useful for the hidden routing, see rear pic above. The case is a far from tool-less design, but a lot of obvious thought has been given to accessibility and simplicity. On the back of the upper HD chamber there is a small container, for holding screws etc. A fan retention bracket for the upper HD chamber is included as well. As this precludes the use of the upper HD chamber for devices, I decided to mount a fan in the included, but empty, front 120mm fan holder.

I have set all fans to high, and will report temps/sound level when I fire it up tomorrow. The case sides are very light, but have a layer of material presumably for sound proofing.

For right now, I am very pleased with this purchase. A modern conservative look with nice features, good design and the basics for a thermally advantaged case. For the out-of-pocket expense ($95) I consider it good value for money; for the after rebate price ($45) I consider it a steal. However, I wouldn't pay $170 for it; and heres why:

To consider spending $170 on a case, the workstation inside it would be a considerable investment. For that money I would expect a high quality powerful PSU to be included, or for the case to be a little larger and support extended ATX mobo's (for dual socket setups) and have a larger/more flexible power supply chamber (for redundant power supply setups), and include extender cables for PSU's that cables didn't reach (24pin ATX power, 8pin EPS12v). I'd like for the front door and side panel to include a mesh section for air intake - but that sounds suspiciously like another Antec product... :)*
The one other feature I think this price level case should feature now is an eSATA port or two. As it's basically a SATA cable with a socketed end, it would be a cheap addition (no electronics for straight cable, but a multiplexer wouldn't be too expensive if it depended on motherboard compatibility) but would be a major I/O bonus. There also should be low profile lightweight fan grills on all the installed fans.

If you read all that, thanks :up: and sorry for the long post!

Mmm_Beefy Jan 20, 2008 02:47 AM

that is still my favorite case ever cj. and you did a great job on the wiring and color coordinating:)

a few points though.. the lower area plating to seperate the hard drive/ps area.. actually works as its intended.. i was talking to someone who had 3 raptors in there, and they generated alot of heat, he wired it up proper, and closed that chanel off and it lowered the ambient temp on the chipset.. so while minimal i'm sure, its a nice touch to have for the case.

as for the case being worth $170... thats personal preference, and i agree with your points.. but yeah.. i dont regret paying over (at the time) $180 for the case. considering that case will be with me for a long long time.. and many builds to come, i'll get my moneys worth out of it for sure.

i'll be posting pics of the wifes pc up pretty soon. i just built it the other night.

Debello Jan 20, 2008 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1335320488)
Haven't had a chance to fire it up yet, this took 9 hours to tear down my old setup and install in my new one because:
  • Someone crapped their pants, 4 times.
  • Someone lost their toy, 6 times.
  • Someone spilled a drink, 4 times.
  • Someone got hurt, 7 times, including 1 trip to the E.R., and 1 phone call to the Dr's Office.
  • Someone was hungry, and didn't want to eat anything in the house, 2 times.
  • It snowed. Snow lasted 2 hours. During this period I was getting food because someone was hungry.
  • Someone took/looked at/talked about a toy someone else was using, resulting in crying/fighting/whining.

I see you work for Intel :D

Nice wiring job

caveman-jim Jan 20, 2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mmm_Beefy (Post 1335320498)
that is still my favorite case ever cj. and you did a great job on the wiring and color coordinating:)

Thanks! I don't really feel like it that much of an achievement, as the case made hiding the wiring so easy, and the PSU was already sleeved. About the only thing I could do now is to cover the unsleeved parts (meh) and find some black SATA cables (again, meh).

Quote:

a few points though.. the lower area plating to seperate the hard drive/ps area.. actually works as its intended.. i was talking to someone who had 3 raptors in there, and they generated alot of heat, he wired it up proper, and closed that chanel off and it lowered the ambient temp on the chipset.. so while minimal i'm sure, its a nice touch to have for the case.

That's an excellent point, and one well made. Good comment!

Quote:

as for the case being worth $170... thats personal preference, and i agree with your points.. but yeah.. i dont regret paying over (at the time) $180 for the case. considering that case will be with me for a long long time.. and many builds to come, i'll get my moneys worth out of it for sure.

Yeah, absolutely - this is a long term case for me too.

Quote:

i'll be posting pics of the wife up pretty soon.

:eek: :drool: :runaway:

traitoR Jan 20, 2008 04:17 AM

Really nice case caveman, i`d of probably bought one as well for that price... i thought paying 49.99 plus the 20 bucks for shipping with my 900 was good. :bleh:

You did a nice clean install :up: How are your temps ? Did they improve ?

What syntax do you use to center your pics...? :p

Mmm_Beefy Jan 20, 2008 06:08 AM

i could have sworn i posted pics in this thread before.. but i guess i havnt, just went back all the way to january 07 in the thread...

heres the wifes pc i just put together the other night:

thats her office, and also doubles as my pc work area (not pictured). you can see my Antec 180 series pulling server duty, the specs are in my sig.
note her speakers... my old Monsoons.. STILL going after.. god seems like a decade now. and yes.. i removed the door from the Antec case... i'm just not keen on doors on pc's to block airflow.. and while it could be propped open.. meh, i removed it.. of course.. wife wont let me do the same for hers lol..

heres my new Antec 900 with new interior paint, and dremel work (pic from the other thread, but would like it here as well, sides pimpin your pc is cool:D)

Deaderinred Jan 20, 2008 06:10 AM

yes, we are all sure the pink one is your wifes, yes. :bleh: