Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Front Page News (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   AMD FX and Llano performance leaks (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33977108)

moshpit May 5, 2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1336575604)
that only applies to the APU's since AMD knows it has no chance for its PII CPU cores to compete with intels SB cores.

In the case of Intel you get great CPU performance and crappy GPU performance. AMD you get good CPU performance and good GPu performance, a better balanced scenario. Its not like you're getting celeron levels of crap CPU performance.

Now if BD's CPU performance is on par with SB CPU performance then thats a good sign. Of course they could be late to the game like the PII (The barcelona that should have been) since Ivy Bridge is just around the corner.

Good CPU performance? Yeah, good for circa 2010. Good enough is NOT an area I have any faith in AMD's execution of anymore. Good enough was what kept them riding on their laurels while Conroe was kicking every dual core AMD had in the butt. And that's not the only time.

I'm sorry, I see a repeat of history that hurt AMD last time they pulled it. Whenever AMD tries to ride on CPU performance laurels, they get screwed.

caveman-jim May 5, 2011 07:02 PM

I don't see any evidence of riding on laurels, I think you are borrowing trouble to support your point. You seem unaware of the prevalence of software that already uses GPGPU capabilities, which is going to explode once APU's get mainstream, which is this year.

Sasquach May 5, 2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1336575609)
Good CPU performance? Yeah, good for circa 2010. Good enough is NOT an area I have any faith in AMD's execution of anymore. Good enough was what kept them riding on their laurels while Conroe was kicking every dual core AMD had in the butt. And that's not the only time.

I'm sorry, I see a repeat of history that hurt AMD last time they pulled it. Whenever AMD tries to ride on CPU performance laurels, they get screwed.

So that would mean your i7 920 isnt good enough for anything anymore right?:nuts:

caveman-jim May 5, 2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1336575604)
since Ivy Bridge is just around the corner.

As previously stated, if 'just around the corner' here has the meaning of '2H 2012'. AMD will have product in 2012 as well.

moshpit May 5, 2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquach (Post 1336575621)
So that would mean your i7 920 isnt good enough for anything anymore right?:nuts:

Well, fair enough question, lets review it! It's now been relegated to server duty, doing little more then a Celeron would find easy pickings. Replacing it with my i7 2600K is a major upcoming planned move when socket 2011 launches.

Wanna buy it? :evil:

caveman-jim May 5, 2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshpit (Post 1336575633)
Well, fair enough question, lets review it! It's now been relegated to server duty, doing little more then a Celeron would find easy pickings. Replacing it with my i7 2600K is a major upcoming planned move when socket 2011 launches.

Kinda sounds like it doesn't matter what AMD is planning or releasing for you, you've made your decision sight unseen. Unless you meant you would decide as to whether to buy an AMD platform or an Intel one, at the time of socket 2011 launch?

moshpit May 5, 2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1336575792)
Kinda sounds like it doesn't matter what AMD is planning or releasing for you, you've made your decision sight unseen. Unless you meant you would decide as to whether to buy an AMD platform or an Intel one, at the time of socket 2011 launch?

In fact, unfortunately and as much as I hate to say it, but I think you're right (not that I hate saying your right normally, just this time specifically). I kinda have made up my mind the moment I saw "similar per core performance to Phenom II" coming out of AMD's own leaked slides. I have never, and will never, buy the previous year's performance in any upgrade.

This is NOT to say I'm not leaving room for a surprise upset in my purchasing plans, so you would be right on that point as well. But I'm NOT expecting one, at all. I do NOT foresee AMD having anything remotely close to competing with socket 2011 based CPUs unless they've hidden some totally badass, and UNLEAKED as yet super-monster-beasty-chip. I call Sandy Bridge-E a "super-monster-beasty-chip" on paper, and am quite comfortable that the reality will be very close to expectation based on my current experience with Sandy Bridge.