Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Official VR Headset discussion (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34008998)

demo Mar 25, 2014 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow001 (Post 1337471799)
Edit: Now that I think about it, it's also way cheaper than a 120Hz monitor and the 3D glasses sold by Nvidia, which still force you to look directly at the screen with the glasses to have the 3D effect....The rift allows the user to look anywhere in a game, be it up, down, left or right.

3dvision is exactly like using a normal display, but in 3D. I don't see it as being comparable to OR, they offer totally different things. You also get the benefit of 120/144hz 2D for the money.

jolle Mar 25, 2014 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337471908)
3dvision is exactly like using a normal display, but in 3D. I don't see it as being comparable to OR, they offer totally different things. You also get the benefit of 120/144hz 2D for the money.

It also carries the performance penalty of having to render the entire resolution twice, since it interleaves the images in full screen.
So both 3d shutters and multiscreen gaming are both kinda made unnecessary and inferior with a VR kit.

But yeah, VR glasses arent monitor REPLACEMENTS really, Iīll likely still need to have 2x monitors for the things I do, and Im kinda used to 120hz at this point.
I did however see some tools that allows you to run windows desktop in the Rift set, basically you extend the desktop to the rift and the software puts it on a surface in a 3d space so it renders properly in the glasses (normally it just looks like madness since un-transformed it youre looking at the desktop through two paper rolls with heavy lenses on the ends.).

Now I doubt itīs a great experience to use VR glasses on the desktop for any extended period of time, atleast not these dev kits as they arent as light as they need to be, and there is probably some eyestrain after some while too.

But you could buy a pretty comfy chair, sit back however you like, and theoretically atleast setup as many "virtual monitors" you want and position around this 3d space, so if you want to lean back, just move those surfaces to sit above you at whatever distance you want.
You could surround yourself in 8 virtual desktop and swivel around on your chair, or whatever.
You can have 3x 24" virtual desktops half a meter in front of you, or 3x 120" desktops several meters away.
Provided that is that the software end gets to that point, there are some serious limitations to the current software out there for the dev kits at this point.

KAC Mar 25, 2014 04:57 AM

So any gay got this? How is it?

demo Mar 25, 2014 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolle (Post 1337471968)
But yeah, VR glasses arent monitor REPLACEMENTS really, Iīll likely still need to have 2x monitors for the things I do, and Im kinda used to 120hz at this point.

Yes exactly, its not a replacement. I haven't tried OR yet but I dare say I'd still prefer some games with 3dvision or plain old 2D, plus it looks too physical. Not sure I want to be turning and moving all the time. OR seems like a nice addition though and I cant wait to try it.

jolle Mar 25, 2014 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAC (Post 1337471973)
So any gay got this? How is it?

They wont ship until July.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337471992)
Yes exactly, its not a replacement. I haven't tried OR yet but I dare say I'd still prefer some games with 3dvision or plain old 2D, plus it looks too physical. Not sure I want to be turning and moving all the time. OR seems like a nice addition though and I cant wait to try it.

Usually I think the cameras headsensor input is slaved under the "character input".
The demoes I tried on the DK1 set moved the character as you would any game with a controller, and added the head motion ontop of that.
Atleast as far as I can recall, was a while ago now.
So you´re not "steering" with your head, it is a bit more like using Eyefinity as you´re looking forward most of the time but can just flash your head to the side if you see something in the corner of your eyes.

TF2 works like that, your head offsets the camera from the mouse input basically.
As shown here where they test it at about 6.50. (EDIT: they go through a bunch of different control types later on in the video)

VR glasses is a very different thing from using shutters though, you get a very tangible sense of scale and volume on things.
With shutters I feel a bit like I look at 3d miniatures through a small window, and the stereoscopic sense of 3d is not as pronounced.
Also with the extremely pixelated DK1 kit I felt some serious vertigo in some demos walking up to a ledge, it was pretty cool.
Comes with filling your entire viewfield, and removing any fixed points from your view, such as the wall behind the monitor or the desk infront of you etc.

demo Mar 25, 2014 07:16 AM

Yeah I thought that would be the case, but that means crosshair aim is independent of movement and a large dead zone is needed to accommodate both. Not exactly ideal, but I haven't tried it and it's probably better than I imagine.

Yes I find shutter glasses give the same sort of effect, I think I prefer that for RTS or 3rd person. I would imagine first person is OR's realm, I cant wait.

jolle Mar 25, 2014 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337472017)
Yeah I thought that would be the case, but that means crosshair aim is independent of movement and a large dead zone is needed to accommodate both. Not exactly ideal, but I haven't tried it and it's probably better than I imagine.

Hmm, well itīs basically business as normal, except you can offset the camera from the crosshair with head movement, atleast one of those modes they try, the one that seems preferable IMO.
So sorta like a 3x screen setup, except you cant look outside of the screens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337472017)
Yes I find shutter glasses give the same sort of effect, I think I prefer that for RTS or 3rd person. I would imagine first person is OR's realm, I cant wait.

I would imagine there would be no tracking in a RTS anyway, since thatīd be like cheating hehe, well atleast in something like StarCraft 2 that has a fixed camera by design.
And third person cameras seem like they could be a bit wierd with VR.
The 3d part of it would probably good and the tracking could still be useful I suppose for looking around if you play with a controller, but the idea is to immerse you and floating around behind "yourself" isnt really ideal for that.

Playing Diablo 3 atm, was thinking about if Iīd even WANT to use VR for it.
Possibly not, if so itīd be for the stereoscopic 3d effect.
The way the world is built out of a lot of 2d elements, banking on the fixed perspective camera, you couldnt use the tracking at all I think without breaking it.

But yeah, FPS is definitely where VR comes into itīs own, sortof the way it was ment to be used to put you IN a virtual world.

shadow001 Mar 25, 2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337471908)

Which is what I said, you're forced to look in a single direction( the screen) to get the 3D effect....With OR, you can look everywhere and get the effect and it may come into it's own in FPS games.....I wouldn't want to use it in RTS or 3rd person games.

demo Mar 25, 2014 02:26 PM

You're "forced" to look at a display with anything that is not VR, 2D or 3D. They aren't really comparable, one is VR, the other is regular gaming on a monitor - it just happens to be in 3D. I don't see it as a downside anymore than regular 2D gaming "forces" you to look at a monitor.

shadow001 Mar 25, 2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337472307)
You're "forced" to look at a display with anything that is not VR, 2D or 3D. They aren't really comparable, one is VR, the other is regular gaming on a monitor - it just happens to be in 3D. I don't see it as a downside anymore than regular 2D gaming "forces" you to look at a monitor.

You have 6 degrees of freedom since the VR display is attached you your head, it tracks the movement and moves accordingly.

You look way up to the ceiling, it shows you the ceiling in the game, you look all the way down and it shows you the floor, and so on and without ever moving the mouse at all.

demo Mar 25, 2014 03:33 PM

Yes I know

shadow001 Mar 25, 2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337472383)
Yes I know

So it's more immersive than using regular shutter glasses and looking at a screen while having to use the mouse to change the viewpoint...AKA all the current 3D hardware on the market.

demo Mar 25, 2014 04:08 PM

It's a nice addition and offers something unique, but its not a replacement for gaming on a monitor, 2D or 3D.

jolle Mar 25, 2014 04:56 PM

What di fak?
http://www.destructoid.com/facebook-...n-272450.phtml
Quote:

Facebook to acquire Oculus VR for around $2 billion

shadow001 Mar 25, 2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolle (Post 1337472478)

WTF indeed...:hmm:

kboye Mar 25, 2014 05:05 PM

Yeah, just happened. I mean literally 31 minutes ago.

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971

Don't know whether I should cry or take a 6 floor flight outside, this is nuts. I mean, head Oculus did say "Don't buy Rift now! Just wait!", but this..this is scary as hell. It will change Facebook, and it's a big FU to Sony and Twitter.

shadow001 Mar 25, 2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kboye (Post 1337472487)

Don't know whether I should cry or take a 6 floor flight outside, this is nuts. I mean, head Oculus did say "Don't buy Rift now! Just wait!", but this..this is scary as hell. It will change Facebook, and it's a big FU to Sony and Twitter.

Changes the whole situation, as it's not just gaming anymore.

demo Mar 25, 2014 05:09 PM

It's going to have a permanent "share" button in the corner of your vision, in 3D.

bill dennison Mar 25, 2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kboye (Post 1337472487)

Quote:

Originally Posted by demo (Post 1337472492)
It's going to have a permanent "share" button in the corner of your vision, in 3D.

i'll pass now I want no part of it if facebook has it :mad:

hope for nvidia's near-eye light field display works out now

what about the kickstarters :hmm:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-into-the-game

thanks your F*cked we sold out

shadow001 Mar 25, 2014 05:38 PM

I wonder the legal ramifications of this since the company was funded on kick starter to get starting funds to develop these( 2.4 million gathered), and now here they are receiving 400 million in cash and 1.6 billion in facebook shares....

bill dennison Mar 25, 2014 05:57 PM

Carmack fixed it :(

facebook pays 2 Billion to kill Oculus Rift

I would not want it now if they gave it away free

Omega53 Mar 25, 2014 06:36 PM

Please tell me this is an early april fools joke :cry:

aop Mar 25, 2014 06:39 PM

Hahah, those who backed them in Kickstarter must feel like complete retards. :D

Omega53 Mar 25, 2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aop (Post 1337472558)
Hahah, those who backed them in Kickstarter must feel like complete retards. :D

I hope this kills kickstarter as well :bleh:

OzzieBloke Mar 25, 2014 06:52 PM

It was inevitable: Oculus developers got greedy, lost focus, and now WE are screwed. Not them. Anyone who thinks this won't be bad is kidding themselves...

SIrPauly Mar 25, 2014 07:26 PM

Why pay 2 billion?

shadow001 Mar 25, 2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIrPauly (Post 1337472606)
Why pay 2 billion?

Yup, that's the kind of price you pay for much larger companies, not one that just got started last year.....Capitalism gone mad.

Argoon1981 Mar 25, 2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIrPauly (Post 1337472606)
Why pay 2 billion?

Because their department appointed to find potential profitable investments think is fair? Or perhaps seeing Sony being serious about VR made them realize VR add a future?
Who knows, all in all i'm not very happy with this news, because now we have a VR solution exclusive for PS4, and another for PC (for now) that is backed by one of the companies i don't trust at all. Has a PC gamer that is not good news at all.

Lets wait and see what comes out of it, but i must say i will only buy a Occulus Rift after seeing if Facebook didn't meddle in anything, and if some new competitor comes that supports the PC then i will consider it strongly.

shadow001 Mar 25, 2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argoon1981 (Post 1337472681)
Because their department appointed to find potential profitable investments think is fair? Or perhaps seeing Sony being serious about VR made them realize VR add a future?
Who knows, all in all i'm not very happy with this news, because now we have a VR solution exclusive for PS4, and another for PC (for now) that is backed by one of the companies i don't trust at all. Has a PC gamer that is not good news at all.

Lets wait and see what comes out of it, but i must say i will only buy a Occulus Rift after seeing if Facebook didn't meddle in anything, and if some new competitor comes that supports the PC then i will consider it strongly.

But normally you buy a start up company for a little as possible as a general rule, even though facebook is worth tons of money and 2 billion may seem like loose change to them.

lemonhead Mar 26, 2014 02:06 AM

I have been following this product even before the Kickstarter, around the time Palmer Lucky posted in that VR thread asking about community feedback on building such a product.

Terrible news. I hope a competitor emerges soon, because I'll not buy Rift for sure.

The only good thing I can think of is Hitler's reaction when he finds out about this acquisition. Carmack working for Facebook, Occulus Rift in use for social apps etc. It'll be an epic video.