Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   finally back to the top 100 (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34050859)

Loser-P Nov 16, 2020 11:09 AM

People are talking about me :runaway:

Yup sorry I only fold when it's cold, and mostly when I'm not at home using my computer.

Kinda ridiculous how much of a boost the new cuda support has given. I'm getting around 3.5 mil points on weekdays when I fold for about 18 hours a day.
I was getting around 1.5 mil before.

Crawdaddy79 Nov 22, 2020 09:08 AM

One of my case fan bearings has gone bad. It's spinning at about 30 RPM right now. Loud AF. Don't have time to go to Micro Center before going out of town on Tuesday... Looks like I'm going to be shut down until I get back. Might fold from my laptop while I'm gone, but it won't be significant numbers.

Probably time to get an entirely new case. Take the opportunity to de-dust everything as I haven't opened this thing since August.

Flyordie Nov 22, 2020 09:04 PM

Seems like a lot are dying lately. lol. My 120AFs are now dying. Ordered 2 Noctua NF-12 3000 iPPC PWM fans to get my radiator fed with air. Will eventually get a 3x kit of ML120s maybe and run those on the front and use one NF12 for pull and one for intake at the top.

Jimby Dec 4, 2020 01:16 PM

Surprisingly I was able to procure a RTX 3060 Ti, though not the model I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm interested to see how well folding works on it compared to the 1070 I was using. Hope everyone is well.

Crawdaddy79 Dec 25, 2020 11:53 AM

Really thought I'd be folding with Big Navi by now. :lol:

Just picked up a 1.5M PPD WU for the first time since early October (I think). I need it as my average has been tanking below 1M for no obvious reason.

Jimby Dec 25, 2020 04:36 PM

So far, the 3060 Ti is a beast in folding. I can only imagine what a 3080 or 3090 does. Says 2.3M PPD. Wow. Oh and merry Christmas chaps.

Crawdaddy79 Dec 31, 2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimby (Post 1338255896)
So far, the 3060 Ti is a beast in folding. I can only imagine what a 3080 or 3090 does. Says 2.3M PPD. Wow. Oh and merry Christmas chaps.

What's helpful is they've made CUDA optimizations a couple of months ago, allowing nvidia cards +50% folding performance. My laptop GPU went from 400k to 600k PPD, but I don't run it that often due to the fact that it hits 95C and stays there.

KJ Jan 1, 2021 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 (Post 1338257009)
What's helpful is they've made CUDA optimizations a couple of months ago, allowing nvidia cards +50% folding performance. My laptop GPU went from 400k to 600k PPD, but I don't run it that often due to the fact that it hits 95C and stays there.

For sure. I’ve seen my 1660 Super go from ~800k PPD to 1.4M on some WUs.

Jimby Jan 10, 2021 07:53 PM

Hit the 100 mil point milestone today. Woot! Might have to give the CPU and the GPU a bit of a break soon. That kind of hardware is not easy to replace these days.

Jimby Jan 27, 2021 11:04 AM

I think Rage3D just went up in Rank today. Nice for a change. :)

Crawdaddy79 Jan 27, 2021 12:15 PM

Yep. In the next two months it looks like we'll be going up one more, but down another five. :(

To contribute to our fall down the ladder: in the meantime I'm taking an indefinite break. Save some of my GPU fan rotations as it looks like I'll need to be using it for about two years longer than anticipated.

luxor Jan 27, 2021 12:55 PM

Sorry to hear this Crawdaddy79 but I understand as I also had to stop 6 months ago but the impact on the team was much less since I only have crappy hardware.

Crawdaddy79 Jan 27, 2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxor (Post 1338264065)
Sorry to hear this Crawdaddy79 but I understand as I also had to stop 6 months ago but the impact on the team was much less since I only have crappy hardware.

My impact is less than before as well. I don't know why but I almost completely stopped getting the 1.5M PPD WUs, but it was still normal to get 1.2M PPD WUs - nevermind the 1.8M unicorns that sometimes came my way.

When I quit it was after getting three days' worth of (mostly) sub-750k PPD WUs. Because of the CUDA optimizations, nVidia folders are much more efficient, and at that point I felt like I was burning through my PC's lifecycle for not a good enough reason. Here's to hoping for a GPU oversupply and a massive price drop on hardware. :cheers:

Loser-P Jan 27, 2021 03:54 PM

I also stopped last month since I moved and no longer need too heat my bedroom with my computer. Also electricity was included in my rent at the last place much to my landlords dismay :evil: and I don't really want to pay the electric bill for folding.

Side note: In the last 2 months that I was folding I got 149,790,656 points which is about 1/3rd my point total from the last 15 years.

Jimby Jan 27, 2021 06:49 PM

I myself will have to cut back starting next week as the hydro rates go back up. :(

JZL Feb 25, 2021 06:57 PM

My dinky lil folding comp is still going . . .

I'll catch you guys in about 7 yrs.

BigJimJack75 Feb 25, 2021 09:45 PM

Every little bit helps. :)

luxor Mar 29, 2021 02:03 PM

Looks like I'm in my mid-life crisis. I got tired of using APUs and convinced my wife to let me get a cheap Ryzen 5 3600 coupled with a GTX 1660 Super even if I don't really need it. I'll use it as a home server and to fold.
It appears to be good for 1M PPD, 10x to 12x what my Ryzen 2400g was producing. :D

DarkFoss Apr 8, 2021 04:26 PM

I ran across a nice FAH site today bookmarked it in case I get the itch to upgrade like luxor. In addition to the real time stats for quite a few cpus and gpus a very nice listing of the research projects. https://folding.lar.systems/

luxor Apr 13, 2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkFoss (Post 1338279551)
I ran across a nice FAH site today bookmarked it in case I get the itch to upgrade like luxor. In addition to the real time stats for quite a few cpus and gpus a very nice listing of the research projects. https://folding.lar.systems/

I did use this site to get an idea of what to expect before I did my upgrade. Turns out that it was pretty much bang on.

luxor Apr 13, 2021 07:52 AM

I just realized that it took me 14 days to get more points than what I had accumulated in did in the 10 years of active folding I have done since 2003. And if I had the latest and greatest hardware, it would have taken just 2 to days!

jima13 Apr 14, 2021 05:14 PM

Yep
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by luxor (Post 1338280201)
I just realized that it took me 14 days to get more points than what I had accumulated in did in the 10 years of active folding I have done since 2003. And if I had the latest and greatest hardware, it would have taken just 2 to days!

Kinda amazing what the changes to the code have done. Back when I started it was all about folding on the Athlon & Duron cpu's...we've come a long way :fold:

Lupine Apr 18, 2021 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jima13 (Post 1338280480)
Kinda amazing what the changes to the code have done. Back when I started it was all about folding on the Athlon & Duron cpu's...we've come a long way :fold:

Yep!

:fold:

luxor Apr 22, 2021 06:14 PM

Just past the legendary 1920x1080i-How???. I remember when he was the #1 folder in the world. Never thought I'd see the day where I'd pass him. But I'm still a very long way to pass him on the number of WUs.

Lupine Apr 27, 2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxor (Post 1338281760)
Just past the legendary 1920x1080i-How???. I remember when he was the #1 folder in the world. Never thought I'd see the day where I'd pass him. But I'm still a very long way to pass him on the number of WUs.

Nicely done!

I just added a Ryzen 7 3700x + RX 480. Should bump my 24hr avg considerably.

For my own records:

current: 38k ppd avg
3700x projected: 220k ppd avg
RX 480 projected: 39k ppd avg

luxor Apr 28, 2021 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupine (Post 1338282522)
Nicely done!

I just added a Ryzen 7 3700x + RX 480. Should bump my 24hr avg considerably.

For my own records:

current: 38k ppd avg
3700x projected: 220k ppd avg
RX 480 projected: 39k ppd avg

Only 39K ppd for the RX 480? That seems low.

But no matter, that new PC is nice. You're making it harder to catch you ;)

Lupine Apr 28, 2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxor (Post 1338282549)
Only 39K ppd for the RX 480? That seems low.

But no matter, that new PC is nice. You're making it harder to catch you ;)

Just the initial projection given by the client on install.

And sorry! :D

edit. *only* 39k ppd lol ... how times have changed! :eek:

Crawdaddy79 Apr 28, 2021 11:13 AM

For reference, my HD 7970 did 250k PPD.

Lupine Apr 28, 2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 (Post 1338282607)
For reference, my HD 7970 did 250k PPD.

:eek:

Are there some settings I need to adjust?

Crawdaddy79 Apr 28, 2021 05:35 PM

If you're not using a passkey, that would do it. On a phone now otherwise would find the FAQ for it. Sign in with FAH generated passkey for mega bonus points.

Lupine Apr 28, 2021 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 (Post 1338282679)
If you're not using a passkey, that would do it. On a phone now otherwise would find the FAQ for it. Sign in with FAH generated passkey for mega bonus points.

I'm using the same one I've had for years. No changes, right?

edit: went and checked the passkey generator and mine is still valid.

Crawdaddy79 Apr 28, 2021 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupine (Post 1338282689)
I'm using the same one I've had for years. No changes, right?

edit: went the passkey generator and mine is still valid.

Looking at one of your WUs @ https://apps.foldingathome.org/wu?p=...clone=45&gen=0 my math says you're getting about 550k PPD.

Lupine Apr 29, 2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 (Post 1338282696)
Looking at one of your WUs @ https://apps.foldingathome.org/wu?p=...clone=45&gen=0 my math says you're getting about 550k PPD.

Nice. System is generating some serious heat lol. May move it out of my office and just access it remotely lol. I still do most my work on my laptop.

luxor May 29, 2021 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupine (Post 1338282863)
Nice. System is generating some serious heat lol. May move it out of my office and just access it remotely lol. I still do most my work on my laptop.

What's happening Lupine? Looks like your production is down big time this week.

And on another note, we're back to the 75th place! Just passed Medic Coin! :up:

Lupine Jun 2, 2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxor (Post 1338287747)
What's happening Lupine? Looks like your production is down big time this week.

And on another note, we're back to the 75th place! Just passed Medic Coin! :up:

I had to re-task that system to one of my editing staff. Clean install and haven't had time to reinstall the client.

I have the parts to build a second one too, so should be back where I was x2 by end of week or so.

luxor Jun 3, 2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupine (Post 1338288429)
I had to re-task that system to one of my editing staff. Clean install and haven't had time to reinstall the client.

I have the parts to build a second one too, so should be back where I was x2 by end of week or so.

Cool! Great news!

Lupine Jun 4, 2021 09:19 PM

Looks like its kicking in. :cool:

luxor Jun 10, 2021 09:51 AM

Just crossed the 100 million points mark and also finally made the Team 64 top 100 on the number of completed WUs!

Lupine Jun 10, 2021 05:25 PM

There is a bit of pain in grinding how many years to get to 85m points, and seeing my two current gen boxes will probably be able to produce that and more in the next 3mo. :eek:

luxor Jun 20, 2021 07:39 PM

What’s happening to Jima13? Practically no points today and he normally produces over 40% of the team’s output.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks used are properties of their respective owners. Copyright 1998-2011 Rage3D.com