Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   AMD Radeon Discussion and Support (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Rage3D's ATI Radeon HD5450 Video Card Review (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33959155)

Lupine Feb 3, 2010 11:12 PM

Rage3D's ATI Radeon HD5450 Video Card Review

Today, February 4th 2010, AMD executes the penultimate step of their sweet spot strategy with the launch of the AMD ATI Radeon HD 5450. Aggressive pricing at $49 - $59USD, the HD 5450 offers DirectX 11 and Eyefinity to the masses for productivity, performance for popular gaming titles, and a powerful HTPC card. Join us as we examine the Cedar core architecture and its implementation in the entry level HD 5000 series!

Rage3D's ATI Radeon HD5450 Video Card Review

Dr. Zhivago Feb 4, 2010 10:15 AM

Imma buy one fer my Aytch Tee Pee See.

Gud reevew tew!

:up:

Hippo Feb 4, 2010 10:22 AM

good review, one thing though....the graphs on pages 3 and 4 both have 5650 instead of 5450. Just an fyi.

Lupine Feb 4, 2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hippo (Post 1336157218)
good review, one thing though....the graphs on pages 3 and 4 both have 5650 instead of 5450. Just an fyi.

Whoops! Thanks for noticing the typo, will have it fixed shortly. :up:

VampyreGTX Feb 4, 2010 10:59 AM

I was wondering if you may know any more information about ATI's Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing, which is a big part of HTPC cards. In another review (site to go unnamed) it was noted that the 5450 does not offer this option.

"The chief complaint here was that AMD’s best and most computationally intensive deinterlacing mode - Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing - wasn’t always made available for HD resolution video. This has waffled back and forth depending on the driver version, but right now AMD’s drivers lock out this feature (and most of the other AVIVO features) if Smooth Video Playback is enabled. So 4350/4550 owners had to choose between VA and other features without being able to have it all."

It looks like it's a driver issue as it's availability depended on what driver they were using; but the current drivers had this disabled.

You may also want to look into "Cheese Slices" for your reviews. I'm an AVS Forum member and one of the guys made this test for video cards to test their deinterlacing.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1157287

"Cheese Slices is what amounts to an stress test that has more noise and interlacing artifacts in it than any real video would have, and is more than deinterlacers today can handle. It’s an unfair test – but that’s by design – as it does a very good job of highlighting when Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing is in use. With Cheese Slices, we can easily tell if Vector Adaptive mode is being used, or a lesser mode like Motion Adaptive is in use by what happens to the angled lines inside the geometric figures. Smooth lines are Vector Adaptive deinterlaced, jagged lines are deinterlaced with a lesser mode."

Dr. Zhivago Feb 4, 2010 11:11 AM

The Avivo Options being disabled is a bug I mentioned, and found a fix for, in this thread: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33956743

DaNdo Feb 4, 2010 11:18 AM

64 bit card in year 2010?:nuts:
Yes, i know they wanted to keep the price as low as possible, but is 128bit bus really that expensive?

VampyreGTX Feb 4, 2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago (Post 1336157257)
The Avivo Options being disabled is a bug I mentioned, and found a fix for, in this thread: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33956743

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll pass it on over at AVS as well (though I'll leave the other review site to figure out on their own...)

Dr. Zhivago Feb 4, 2010 11:24 AM

Cool! Glad I could help!

@md_Guy Feb 4, 2010 11:32 AM

I was wondering about the system you use in your reviews.. is it a specific system built by R3D and and the very same used throughout your reviews ? I only ask becuase in comparing against the HD3300 (which I would assume is the built in IGP). Is the HD3300 one of those with a dedicated frame buffer. I'm just so surprised the 3300 did so well. Overall a good review for the HTPC enthusiast, though having a 4350 I personally don't have much of an interest in it, many others with older htpc may. Also there wasn't much mention of Eyefinity other than at the end.. is eyefinity enabled in such low end parts I dont imagine they'd have the horse to power anything that could even make use of it.. though the more parts that incorporate it (no matter how "useless") the better market adoption rate for multi-display will become.

Dr. Zhivago Feb 4, 2010 11:49 AM

The motherboard they're using, ECS A790GXM-AD3, has 128MB of DDR3-1333 RAM on board for the IGP. Not all 790GX mobos have dedicated RAM for the IGP, it is optional. My MSI DKA790GX does not, but the Platinum version does.

@md_Guy Feb 4, 2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago (Post 1336157291)
The motherboard they're using, ECS A790GXM-AD3, has 128MB of DDR3-1333 RAM on board for the IGP. Not all 790GX mobos have dedicated RAM for the IGP, it is optional. My MSI DKA790GX does not, but the Platinum version does.

Ahh, thats ver close the the same that I'm using (Asrock M3A790GXH/128M) it too has the onboard 3300 (700 Mhz vs 500 for 3200) and has 128 MB dedicated. Quite surprisingly how powerful IGP has become, I can't wait for Fusion and seem how that bumps up the "game" even the i3 is quite good (for Intel graphics.. I know its a low standard to being with but still).

caveman-jim Feb 4, 2010 12:27 PM

The A790GXM-AD3 actually does not feature Sideband memory, the IGP was specified to use 256MB of System RAM (DDR3-1333).

Dr. Zhivago Feb 4, 2010 12:30 PM

Oh, it must be only on the "Black" edition of that mobo. But, to the point, the 790GX does seem to score pretty well in a lot of games. :)

@md_Guy Feb 4, 2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1336157319)
The A790GXM-AD3 actually does not feature Sideband memory, the IGP was specified to use 256MB of System RAM (DDR3-1333).

Ohh. ok I mis-read that then, thanks for the clarification.

caveman-jim Feb 4, 2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaNdo (Post 1336157263)
64 bit card in year 2010?:nuts:
Yes, i know they wanted to keep the price as low as possible, but is 128bit bus really that expensive?

It's an entry level card, not designed for high quality gaming but for casual and online gameplay, as well as multimedia duties. Also consider how much bandwidth the engine can use, vs. how much there is with a 64-bit DDR3 configuration - why specify way more than can be used? So far the 5000 series have had a very balanced core/memory bandwidth ratio - some operations are core limited and respond well to engine frequency overclocking, others to memory overclocking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by @md_Guy (Post 1336157275)
I was wondering about the system you use in your reviews.. is it a specific system built by R3D and and the very same used throughout your reviews ? I only ask becuase in comparing against the HD3300 (which I would assume is the built in IGP). Is the HD3300 one of those with a dedicated frame buffer. I'm just so surprised the 3300 did so well. Overall a good review for the HTPC enthusiast, though having a 4350 I personally don't have much of an interest in it, many others with older htpc may. Also there wasn't much mention of Eyefinity other than at the end.. is eyefinity enabled in such low end parts I dont imagine they'd have the horse to power anything that could even make use of it.. though the more parts that incorporate it (no matter how "useless") the better market adoption rate for multi-display will become.

As I stated above, the HD 3300 IGP uses System memory (256MB in this case).

Eyefinity in the entry level cards is more for productivity than gaming, although older titles (or kids games) should be fine if you can get them to support the aspect ratio (or just don't care if it's stretched).

caveman-jim Feb 4, 2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago (Post 1336157321)
Oh, it must be only on the "Black" edition of that mobo. But, to the point, the 790GX does seem to score pretty well in a lot of games. :)

Well, to be honest I thought that the mobo does have the sideband, but if it does I can't figure out how to use it instead of dedicated system RAM. It's a black series board, but maybe I need a bios update or sommat. And yes, IGP is surprisingly good.

Dr. Zhivago Feb 4, 2010 12:49 PM

Well, there are conflicting reports and information on that board then. Way to go ECS. :bleh:

caveman-jim Feb 4, 2010 12:52 PM

It works for what I need it to do. I wanted to have two review rigs, one 'entry level gaming' and one more premium level. In AMD nomenclature I have a Vision Premium (785G + Althon II X4, plus a HD5600 or above). It's a $99 mobo, with a $99 proc, and a $99 case, but more $$ of RAM.

Auric Feb 4, 2010 12:52 PM

Dismissing a 64-bit card is "so year 2000". :p

Seriousry, as caveman alludes, it is the combination of the bus and the memory itself which is important and memory is muy faster in "year 2010".

Dr. Zhivago Feb 4, 2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1336157350)
It works for what I need it to do. I wanted to have two review rigs, one 'entry level gaming' and one more premium level. In AMD nomenclature I have a Vision Premium (785G + Althon II X4, plus a HD5600 or above). It's a $99 mobo, with a $99 proc, and a $99 case, but more $$ of RAM.

I wasn't knocking your choice. I love my DKA790GX. I was just knocking ECS for not providing more consistent information.

caveman-jim Feb 4, 2010 12:56 PM

There are going to be a lot of different versions of the HD 5450, as there is partner flexibility to specify DDR2 or DDR3, and clock speeds of up to 900Mhz on the RAM (DDR3). Going from DDr3 800 to 900 is going to be a ~5% boost in some titles, less in others.

@md_Guy Feb 4, 2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman-jim (Post 1336157356)
There are going to be a lot of different versions of the HD 5450, as there is partner flexibility to specify DDR2 or DDR3, and clock speeds of up to 900Mhz on the RAM (DDR3). Going from DDr3 800 to 900 is going to be a ~5% boost in some titles, less in others.

aye, I read that there is a 512MB DDR2 (lower clock, no Eyefinity, o rmore aptly limited to 2 displays) then theres the 1024 DDR3 (Faster clock, Eyefinity - 3 displays). Not sure if there is/will be a GDDR or not.

caveman-jim Feb 4, 2010 01:12 PM

No, no GDDR models.

@md_Guy Feb 4, 2010 01:25 PM

damn just read the Anand article.. looks like this is definitely NOT the card for the TPC enthusiast who wants HD quality video with top notch post processing.. (not knocking your choice Cave.. but.. ) I consider that a huge failure on ATI's part. Castrating Avivo processing where it's used most (HTPC crowd)

caveman-jim Feb 4, 2010 01:57 PM

Meh, it could be a driver issue, where Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing isn't being allowed to run properly.

Whether this is make or break for a HD 5450 as a HTPC card is very subjective - if you have a setup that's going to highlight the slightly-less-than-perfect deinterlacing then you'll likely spend a little more on your HTPC card. Possibly the HTPC enthusiast who wants HD quality video with top notch post processing who considers an Entry level component is not common, I think - if the rest of their equipment is entry level, how much of an issue will this be? To be fair, the HD 5450 is not branded as a Premium, Ultimate or Black product - it is a standard AMD Vision Basic component. If you want the Premium experience, you should be using Premium components - which starts at the HD 5670, currently.

Don't forget the HD 5500 series hasn't launched yet, so your choice is not just between a $59 card or a $100 card.

noko Feb 5, 2010 05:48 PM

I have to say ATI is firing on all cylinders! This has to be the best lauch (well with a few clevits with availability on the high end) that I've ever seen ATI do. Top to bottom, new API support, Eyefinity support etc.. What a way to support DX11 developement when your whole line containes it! Developers will have literally millions (they all ready do) of DX 11 capable machines out there to develope for on a much simplier and more powerful API. For a 50 buck card this is really potent and hope to see allot of these incorporated into the average home pc vice intergrated graphics with DX10. Good review by the way.

caveman-jim Feb 5, 2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noko (Post 1336158687)
Good review by the way.

Thanks! Appreciate all the feedback guys :)*

SSXeon Feb 6, 2010 05:58 AM

Not a bad little card, nice review jim. :)

Lupine Feb 12, 2010 12:44 PM

We've posted a new article, investigating the deinterlacing performance issues - ATI Radeon HD5450 & 5570 HTPC Addendum: Deinterlacing Performance