Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   PC Gaming (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Bionic Commando Rearmed - discussion (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33916782)

Pirate Neilsouth Feb 21, 2008 07:23 AM

Bionic Commando Rearmed - discussion

New trailers of this platform game

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6083.html

:drool:

Nico73 Feb 21, 2008 11:02 AM

Thanks for the update, man. :) As far as consoles go, I only own a Playstation 2 at the moment, so I won't be able to enjoy this remake on a TV (I only have an SD TV anyways), but I'm still very interested to see how this game turns out. Even though I probably won't be enjoying this remake, the original NES one was one of my favourite NES games of all time, and I'm glad to see them redoing it so that current generations of gamers can know the joy that is Bionic Commando. :)

I wonder if it'll have the same hitpoint system as the NES version. On the NES, enemies would drop little experience capsule things when you killed them, and if you collected enough of them, your life meter got longer (up to a maximum of 8 notches, if I remember correctly - it's been a long time). If you ended up dying, you'd start your next life with the full amount of life you'd earned, so the effect was permanent (well, until you shut the game off). As tedious as it sounds, I used to run back and forth on one of the earliest levels where these paratrooper guys kept falling in, just far enough to get them to respawn, and I'd kill them over and over and over just to be able to max out my health bar. Once I got it maxed out (which took a little while), I'd proceed to beat the game. I guess I'm a grind-a-holic even outside of RPGs. :lol: I used to be good enough at it to beat the entire game without dying, mainly because I played it so much (as I said, it was one of my all-time favourite NES titles, easily - money very well spent).

I'm off to watch the new vids now. Thanks again, man. :)

Pirate Neilsouth Feb 21, 2008 11:08 AM

Np Man :p:p

Deaderinred Feb 21, 2008 11:23 AM

i thought this was just going be a live arcade game?

Pirate Neilsouth Feb 21, 2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deaderinred (Post 1335362388)
i thought this was just going be a live arcade game?

How will Rearmed be distributed on PC? Will it be a Windows Live Arcade title?

We will probably be looking to distribute it through multiple vendors including the usual suspects like Steam.

:)

Pirate Neilsouth Mar 14, 2008 04:35 AM

Bionic Commando Rearmed Gameplay Trailer #1 (HD) (101.97MB)
Bionic Commando Rearmed Gameplay Trailer #2 (HD) (142.91MB)
Bionic Commando Rearmed Gameplay Trailer #3 (HD) (52.85MB)

cjl64 Mar 14, 2008 05:50 AM

Holy :eek: this looks really cool.. retro with a sexy new look:drool:

raystorm Mar 14, 2008 07:56 AM

This game is gonna kick all sorts of ass. Looks awesome but the real question regarding the game is... will we see Hitler's face explode? ;)

Pr()ZaC Apr 5, 2008 06:01 PM

Here's a preview...in Polish! Use your favorite online translator.
http://gry.o2.pl/publicystyka_special/?co=pokaz&id=119

klutzon May 28, 2008 11:42 AM

According to the Bionic Commando Communicator on the Official site, the Bionic Commando Rearmed remake will not be ready for its scheduled May release. The game is finished but some work is being done on bugs and they are going through the submission procedures.

Source

Well, we're near the end of the month anyway, but if it's for bug fixing and polishing, let them take their time... :)

mynakedrat2 Aug 1, 2008 06:28 PM

bionic commando video (old skool remake)

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=25679

GRIN explains the process of remaking the original Bionic Commando for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 in this behind the scenes trailer.

Pr()ZaC Aug 1, 2008 07:12 PM

Can't check the site but... is it related to this post?
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33916782

mynakedrat2 Aug 1, 2008 11:52 PM

nope! lol

Pirate Neilsouth Aug 2, 2008 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mynakedrat2 (Post 1335561368)
nope! lol

Lies , merged ;)

nomore Aug 3, 2008 02:16 PM

does anybody know how much this game is going to cost??
and whether there would be any price difference between PC and PS3 version.

If I get the pc version, probably I will use my saitek gamepad since it looks like the gameplay is suited for that better.

Pirate Neilsouth Aug 8, 2008 06:54 AM

The Bionic Commando Website has word that Bionic Commando Rearmed will be released next week for almost all regions and platforms, with the worldwide PC release of the swinging action set for August 14

:)

Dark_Swordmaster Aug 8, 2008 09:52 AM

PC version is $5 more.

ukHazard Aug 8, 2008 09:54 AM

I'd be more interested (for nostalgia purposes) if this was the Arcade / C64 game I played many years ago instead of the NES one (though I hear good things about that).

Destroy Aug 8, 2008 11:41 AM

Is there going to be first person view option in this game?

Deaderinred Aug 8, 2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destroy (Post 1335569624)
Is there going to be first person view option in this game?

its a 2.5d remake of a 2d sidescroller with some top down levels aswell :nuts:

[email protected] Aug 14, 2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Actually, I do have some bad news on the Steam front. At the last minute, we've been unable to reach mutually agreeable terms with Valve on BCR, so they won't be carrying it (unfortunately you'll have to get it elsewhere). I won't get into the details but we do continue to have a good relationship with Valve and future Capcom titles we expect to be carried on Steam.

You'll find BCR available tomorrow on Direct2Drive at 8AM PST. Other sites (like our Capcom e-store and Gamersgate.com) will come on shortly thereafter.

Within a few days (or perhaps sooner, just waiting on some package tests), you'll find it at more than a dozen other sites (including BestBuy.com, Nvidia.com, CircuitCity.com, etc.).

Christian Svensson
Corporate Officer/VP of Strategic Planning & Business Development
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capc...ed?num=10&pg=2

RAY16 Aug 14, 2008 03:51 PM

Wow, that's incredibly ****ing lame. I don't like Direct2Drive's licensing system and they often screw up patch releases or don't offer them at all. Granted, I haven't read anything on them in a while. Have they changed or are they still restrictive and gay? Is Gamers Gate less restrictive than Direct2Drive?

Damn it, I really wanted to buy it on Steam.

lumpyhed Aug 14, 2008 04:00 PM

Gamersgate is fine afaik. Bought Arma from there no probs.

RAY16 Aug 14, 2008 04:02 PM

Apparently if you buy it form Gamers Gate there is a way to backup the installer so you can install it an unlimited number of times in the future.

According to this guy, at least: http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capc...m=21#120809005

Quote:

I too prefer Steam for any digitally purchased titles. I boycott Direct2Drive for their terrible support and history of flawed patch releases. I'm not familiar with Capcom's Digital River-backed service so I didn't try it.

However, you *can* make GamersGate vaguely tolerable. Puzzle Quest PC was initially only available via GG, so that was the first place I bought it. But like others, I had no intention of keeping their ridiculous software installed or putting it on a second computer just to install a game on my laptop.

Here's what to do:

1. You do have to temporarily install the GamersGate software. Sorry!
2. Log in, click Download for BCR, and then choose a folder. I used c:\users\techknight\Downloads\BCR
3. GG will then download temporary files to a subfolder of the one you chose. You can see from this screenshot that their server is very slow right now:
4. Once launch.dat is finished downloading, go ahead and click Install. After a short delay, the BCR installer will start.
5. That delay was GG extracting launch.dat into another folder as bcr_setup.exe. Make a copy of that file, then exit the BCR installer.
6. Write down your serial number from the GG interface, then exit GamersGate and uninstall their awful software.
7. Now you can run bcr_setup.exe anytime you want to install BCR, whether on your desktop, laptop, or newly formatted computer without having to jump through any hoops.

It's not as convenient as Steam would be, since you have to keep a backup of that file somewhere, but it's better than nothing. (And also better than supporting Direct2Drive)
I may go with that, but I'm not decided yet...

Jet Black Aug 14, 2008 04:18 PM

The post you linked RAY16, it mentions that Capcom's internal download service uses Digital River (aka Riverdeep) for their digital distribution? I used these guys to purchase software at work through Broderbund and had a terrible experience.

The software had to run all the time to ensure that the application was downloaded and required you to login to use it (this was troubling because I wanted multiple users to be able to use it - had to use a third party tool Run-It-As to let them be able to use it with high enough privilages), as well these guys sold my information to a third party who tried to get my signed up for some sort of online store with 'great prices on printer ink'.

Not sure if it's the same setup with Capcom, but it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth, that's for sure.

Looks like I won't be getting this game. That really sucks - don't think I want to try GamersGate or D2D and definitely not touching the Digital River run Capcom seller. Steam was my best bet, and now that's dashed. I wonder what went wrong.

Tzar Sectus Aug 14, 2008 07:09 PM

I bought the game from Gamer's Gate and I had no problems with it. You buy the game, use their downloader to download and install the game, and that's it. I don't get why anyone would be reluctant to use gamer's gate software, you only have to use it once to download the game, and it's very straightforward and easy to use. I personally prefer it compared to steam because once the game is installed I can run it directly like any other game.

And the game itself is great, anyone even remotely interested in 2D shooters and platformers should get it. PC version runs flawlessly as well, and you can use keyboard or any gamepad as controls. The only oddity is that the game forces 16:9 aspect ratio (you can still use 4:3 monitors but it'll become letterbox).

SirBaron Aug 15, 2008 12:45 AM

Just got the game via Gamers Gate :drool:, (freaking Valve) :bleh:

So what's so bad about their download software? Maxed out my downloads speeds and the software is better than most crap like impulse or EA Downloader. :bleh:

Brumbek Aug 15, 2008 04:34 PM

I thought I was the only person who played Bionic Commando for the NES back in the day. It was a HARD game. What's funny was I always thought the final boss guy looked liked Hitler, but I never realized the Jap version were actually Nazi's and it was Hitler. Anyway, any of you guys play this game back in the day? I've got great memories of it.

lognoronon Aug 15, 2008 04:57 PM

Has anyone had any luck getting AA to work?

SirBaron Aug 15, 2008 05:00 PM

Not tried AA yet...

I've been trying to upload a video to youtube twice now and it just wont appear in my account.

:bleh:

I'll try AA and see if it works.