Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   DF Direct, CRT gaming with control. (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=34049973)

Shapeshifter Sep 16, 2019 11:18 PM

DF Direct, CRT gaming with control.

I always wanted one of those 24" sonys

pax Sep 17, 2019 12:08 AM

Ya had a 19" Hitachi way back when but the sony's were amazing... Just too pricey. But going to lcd my eyes thanked me. I doubt they will reopen the crt factories and the few remaining vintage tubes will eventually burn out. Kinda impressed by the release of IPS 240hz 1ms screens recently. I dont think they are that far from the glory days of crt quality.

Trunks0 Sep 17, 2019 09:00 PM

It's a little overly rosey... But it's true, aperture grille CRT's look stunning and can still out class an LCD's in some ways... But I'd be hard pressed to go back. Even to a legendary Sony Fw900.

andino Sep 17, 2019 11:48 PM

:bleh:

GTwannabe Sep 18, 2019 08:11 AM

I picked up a Craigslist 30" Sony WEGA widescreen CRT years ago for my home theater. Video picture quality is amazing. Desktop not so great as it's native 1080i and quite fuzzy up close. It also weights 150lbs which makes lifting it off the floor a challenge as your knees and the TV can't occupy the same physical space.

Shapeshifter Sep 18, 2019 09:37 AM

Imagine how far along CRT tech would be if it never died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfac...mitter_display

GTwannabe Sep 18, 2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shapeshifter (Post 1338152842)
Imagine how far along CRT tech would be if it never died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfac...mitter_display

Hell, plasma screens still look damned nice vs. all but the priciest modern LCD/OLED panels.

Exposed Sep 18, 2019 01:39 PM

Plasma died because of the inherit issues with ghosting and burn in.

If you were a gamer you didn't use plasma anyway, because plasma sucked for gaming. Great for movies though.

Trunks0 Sep 18, 2019 02:49 PM

Input lag ruins most serious gaming on TVs in general. But most LCD TVs had similar input lag on-top of terrible motion resolution. So it was kinda pick your poison for plasma vs LCD.

It's funny, every display tech is still a pick n choose which short coming you can live with

bill dennison Sep 18, 2019 05:18 PM

I had two 21" sony CRT's when I switched to a HP 2560x1600

my desk was damn glad to lose 200 pounds of CRT :lol:

12Bass Sep 19, 2019 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exposed (Post 1338152871)
Plasma died because of the inherit issues with ghosting and burn in.

If you were a gamer you didn't use plasma anyway, because plasma sucked for gaming. Great for movies though.

Dunno if gamers were a significant reason behind the death of plasma. What I heard from industry people was that the technology was not able to easily/economically move to 4K production. Also, I gather that margins were higher for LCD sales, plus LCD panels were generally lighter and brighter in stores. For movies and a more natural image, along with wide viewing angles, plasma was much better... until OLED came along, and the best plasma sets still beat OLED for motion.

Napoleonic Sep 19, 2019 04:41 AM

What I don't understand is the obsession with making everything with a display thinner and thinner, yes thin is great compared to bulky crt, but at some point what's even the purpose for getting screens and phones thinner, I'd prefer they fill the depth with useful viewing tech than getting thinner (and bigger batteries for phones).

Is my assumption real? Can you make lcds better by stuffing them with other tech stuffs rather than making them thinner?

Seyiji Sep 19, 2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleonic (Post 1338152964)
What I don't understand is the obsession with making everything with a display thinner and thinner, yes thin is great compared to bulky crt, but at some point what's even the purpose for getting screens and phones thinner, I'd prefer they fill the depth with useful viewing tech than getting thinner (and bigger batteries for phones).

Is my assumption real? Can you make lcds better by stuffing them with other tech stuffs rather than making them thinner?

I'd say speaker tech then again most people would tell me to shut the fug up and stop being poor thus making me go cri in a corner....so :sherlock:

Henceforth we get tvs that double as wallpaper and sey cri !_!

Trunks0 Sep 19, 2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleonic (Post 1338152964)

For LCD's yes. By having a thicker display you can more easily implement full array backlight dimming tech. Which is totally worth it for LCD's as it can massively help LCD's do HDR better.

Shapeshifter Jan 24, 2020 11:28 PM

Noticed they did an updated piece on CRT gaming last month.

Trunks0 Jan 30, 2020 08:46 PM

I really wish I had the room for one of these. Because if the price was right... Id be pretty interested. But I don't have the room and finding a FW900 close enough that the shipping wouldn't be insane would be extremely hard.

bill dennison Jan 31, 2020 06:14 PM

:lol:

I remember my two 21 inch sony CRT's

110 pounds each

my old oak office desk top bowed down in the middle with two of those things and they took up 80% of the top of the desk

then the headaches any time they were below 80 hertz :nuts:

mine were still working till I dumped them in the trash years ago then I went 2560x1600

Nascar24 Jan 31, 2020 07:35 PM

Looks like its time to take my 24 Sony Trinatron and hook it back up.

andino Mar 7, 2021 11:19 PM

Trunks0 Mar 7, 2021 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andino (Post 1338273025)

:lol:, I was going to be try reviving or referencing this thread. Thx Andino :up:

andino Mar 8, 2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunks0 (Post 1338273027)
:lol:, I was going to be try reviving or referencing this thread. Thx Andino :up:

I saw the videos in the other thread and I thought I was going crazy. LOL.

OverclockN' Mar 8, 2021 01:56 PM

I still refuse to believe all of this CRT craziness. Need to see it for myself. :lol:

Absolutely willing to believe it's smoother, but you'll lose so much definition. I watched this video yesterday (didn't know this thread even existed), and he gushes on and on about it. There has to still be a gigantic difference in detail/clarity from 4k. You either have the pixels available to create the detail, or you don't. I don't get it.

SubCog Mar 8, 2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338273136)
I still refuse to believe all of this CRT craziness. Need to see it for myself. :lol:

Absolutely willing to believe it's smoother, but you'll lose so much definition. I watched this video yesterday (didn't know this thread even existed), and he gushes on and on about it. There has to still be a gigantic difference in detail/clarity from 4k. You either have the pixels available to create the detail, or you don't. I don't get it.

I don't think you'll get better image quality out of an old CRT than you would get on a 4k OLED... assuming that you're rendering in native 4k. But most people are rendering games in sub-4k and then scaling up. That's where CRT's have a massive advantage, in adapting to a wide variety of resolutions so that you're always running without messing up your image quality by non-integer scaling.

It's true that you can get an ultra-high quality 1024x768 image on a CRT, where each and every pixel looks stunning. But you're right, that it's not going to stand up against a fully native 4k HDR image.

Exposed Mar 8, 2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverclockN' (Post 1338273136)

If you're gaming at 4k with any new display, a CRT will be a downgrade. The advantage with CRT is that you get motion that modern displays can't replicate, so it looks more "fluid" or "realistic". But you do lose that clarity and detail and color (compared to OLED). Personally I don't think it's a worthwhile trade off.

These guys at DF are gushing at playing Control at 720p. 720p! :lol:

I will say however, the last time I used CRT the motion and visuals with Dungeon Seige 1 and 2 were much better with the CRT. The LCD felt like a downgrade. Of course, that was what... 10-15 years ago, displays have come a long way since then.

Jkmetal23 Mar 8, 2021 03:00 PM

Ha.... Been almost a year since I sold off my last 2 21 VGA CRTs....

From 2007-2020 I had on either as a secondary/primary in my various setups.

Terrible for modern games that are 'pixel exact/pixel artwork' or anything that doesn't have a 4:3 mode available (Fallout 4).

Not bad for 720p consoles. PS3 looked in top shape!! Blu Ray = fantastic!

PS4 wouldn't work with my VGA adapter lol.

I wouldn't spend the money, especially as they are now 'collectors items'

OverclockN' Mar 8, 2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubCog (Post 1338273138)
I don't think you'll get better image quality out of an old CRT than you would get on a 4k OLED... assuming that you're rendering in native 4k. But most people are rendering games in sub-4k and then scaling up. That's where CRT's have a massive advantage, in adapting to a wide variety of resolutions so that you're always running without messing up your image quality by non-integer scaling.

It's true that you can get an ultra-high quality 1024x768 image on a CRT, where each and every pixel looks stunning. But you're right, that it's not going to stand up against a fully native 4k HDR image.

The only reason I even mention 4k is due to the title and asking if you really need it. Taking an old monitor that's great for motion clarity and saying since you have that, do you really need something that's 5 or 6x the resolution?

If someone is even considering doing that, they aren't in the high resolution bandwagon to begin with. It doesn't even make sense to say it. Apples to oranges. :nuts:

Trunks0 Mar 8, 2021 03:10 PM

They are gushing, because you can jump around resolutions on a CRT without a real quality loss. Yes it's more aliased, of course, but the image remains sharp and crisp. Something LCD's can't do.

The motion clarity is something to behold. OLED and LCD look awesome and in allot of ways surpass CRT... but motion clarity is not one of them. The image remains crisp in motion on a CRT. Plasma's do this as well, motion is perfectly sharp. Where as LCD's, even the newest 360hz displays, are comparatively blurry.

12Bass Mar 8, 2021 07:36 PM

Take a fast racing game, for example... a CRT will keep all the details clear as you zoom by. LCD pixels simply can't transition on and off fast enough to keep up with CRT phosphors being hit by an electron beam, producing LCD motion blur. CRTs also soften the image somewhat, lessening the need for higher resolutions and anti-aliasing. If super crisp, extremely fine, text viewing is desired, then a 4K LCD is much better. But for fast moving images (like those in many games), CRT still has significant advantages. My main TV is a Panasonic plasma, and it has good motion resolution as well, much better than most LCDs.

badsykes Mar 9, 2021 04:13 AM

badsykes Mar 9, 2021 06:27 AM