Rage3D Discussion Area

Rage3D Discussion Area (http://www.rage3d.com/board/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Official Dark Tower series thread (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33894335)

Razeus Jun 22, 2007 09:44 PM

The Official Dark Tower series thread

I'm about to pick up book 1 of the Dark Tower series, the Gunslinger.

This thread is for the discussion on the books. What are your favorities? Is it King's best work? Overrated? Rather read Harry Potter novels?

Discuss it here. And for the love of god - use spoiler tags.

Bamboozled Jun 22, 2007 09:53 PM

1st couple were excellent... the third marginal, and the fourth awfull, IMHO. I still bought the 5th, but was so dissapointed, never got around to finishing it or purchasing the rest.

Not to mention, I started reading the series over 20 years ago, and waiting for the next in the series became quite annoying. Maybe you'll have better luck now that there's no waiting.

I wouldn't comapre them to Harry Potter. Potter is just mind candy. Potter pulls you in, but in a different, "light" way. Nothing light about Roland.

renob Jun 22, 2007 09:58 PM

my favorite author is dostoevsky...but the most fun ive ever had reading was the dark tower series, bar none. i wish the story never ended.

OlderBudweiser Jun 22, 2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renob (Post 1335002168)
my favorite author is dostoevsky...but the most fun ive ever had reading was the dark tower series, bar none. i wish the story never ended.

The story never ended....at least not for Roland...

WarChilde Jun 22, 2007 10:20 PM

I ran out of steam on the last book. I liked the story about Rolands gal the best. I thought that was King's best story that I've ever liked.

That last book just really didn't do it for me. It seemed like typical King drivel......drag the story out but in this case, try to tie up the loose ends and include as many of his previous novels as possible.

OlderBudweiser Jun 22, 2007 10:22 PM

it seems there's a movie/series planned about the saga...Personally i hope it's going to be a series,cause The Dark Tower is way to difficult to make a movie out of it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_%28series%29

Matrix0507 Jun 22, 2007 10:34 PM

Interesting you guys bring this up now...i just finished the first one and have started the second one...i'm liking the second one even better than the first and the first was excellent!

Edit: "Pick up" the entire audiobook experience and enjoy hours of road trip goodness :)

fryjs Jun 23, 2007 02:20 AM

I found the first book to be the best of the bunch, the opening sentence is just perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matrix0507
"Pick up" the entire audiobook experience and enjoy hours of road trip goodness

That is definately the best way to do it. Especially with the first narrator, his voice was (again) perfect for the story.

sittal Jun 23, 2007 02:56 AM

i 'picked up' the audio book TWICE and both times i cut out after 20 or so minutes and began skipping :(
i think i need to tweak my keyboard drivers... any help?

Dodongo77 Jun 23, 2007 09:44 AM

Did you read the original The Gunslinger from 20+ years ago, or the updated The Gunslinger that was re-released a few years ago?

Anyway, the series was written over such a long period of King's career that the writing style changes throughout the series. Book 1 is different than 2 and 3...and I'll add 4 to that group as well. And then there's the last 3 books, 5, 6 and 7, which are waaaaaay different in style.

My favorite book is definitely 4, Wizards and Glass. The last 3 books aren't as good as the first 4, but still worth reading. The Dark Tower was my gateway to reading other King novels.

BTW, no spoilers means NO SPOILERS people. Even alluding to them! You know whose post I'm talking about...

Clockwork Jun 23, 2007 10:17 AM

Best series ever...

I had to start rereading "Wizard and Glass" because I always end up stopping halfway through due to lack of time. I'm not going to let it happen again..lol..

taz291819 Jun 23, 2007 10:22 AM

I read The Dark Tower series just as each book was released. IMO, it's King's best work. I was really hoping HBO would pick up the rights to do a series, due to it's darker and more adult-themed content. It's just way to long to make a movie out of.

quietfool Jun 23, 2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamboozled (Post 1335002166)
1st couple were excellent... the third marginal, and the fourth awfull, IMHO. I still bought the 5th, but was so dissapointed, never got around to finishing it or purchasing the rest.

Not to mention, I started reading the series over 20 years ago, and waiting for the next in the series became quite annoying. Maybe you'll have better luck now that there's no waiting.

I wouldn't comapre them to Harry Potter. Potter is just mind candy. Potter pulls you in, but in a different, "light" way. Nothing light about Roland.

I had a similar experience. Although I started reading them about 10 years ago. At first I thought the books were amazing. But the fourth was such a huge dissapointment I couldn't even finish it and haven't touched the series since.

Razeus Jun 23, 2007 11:26 AM

hmm...seems like the first half of the series is good and the other is meh. Don't know if I want to start something I can't finish.

OlderBudweiser Jun 23, 2007 11:33 AM

once you start the first books,something deep inside you orders you to read the rest too;just to know what happens next.

GravY Jun 23, 2007 11:36 AM

the first few books are excellent however the others seem to lack that somethign special of the first ones.. overall tho its a very good series..

The Pig Jun 23, 2007 06:32 PM

I love the series but am having a hard time finishing Wizard and Glass. It's good, but I can't stick with it for long like I could with the other books.

ZodiacDaR Jun 23, 2007 09:57 PM

I read the first one when I was like 14 (so about 7 years ago). It was amazing. I was blown away by the ending, just blown away. However, for some reason I just never made it to reading the rest. I started the second one, but I think I was just too young to really grasp it all, and stopped about a fourth of the way through. I mean I was just like, wtfz0rz when the whole doors, beaches, crabs, modern city thing popped up. .

Im sure there's plenty of 14 year olds that could keep it all straight, but the most I was reading at the time were Animorphs and The Young Jedi Knight Series. The Dark Tower was way above and beyond any of that.

I really should just re-read the first and see if it still grabs me, and then dive right into the rest. I dont read as much as I used to, no thanks to gaming, work, college, and the general craziness of adjusting to adulthood. Right now I'm (slowly) getting through the Zombie Survival Guide my friend let me borrow, so maybe I'll try and keep the reading going afterwards.

pax Jun 24, 2007 12:25 AM

The closest thing to philosophy that King has ever done. Tho I should add The Talisman and Blackhouse. Books 1 and 4 are my favs but havent read 5-7 yet. The character development book 2 was a bit long but King loves to dev characters.

I hope to get around to the last 3 on my summer vacation...

taz291819 Jun 24, 2007 09:46 AM

And if they ever made this into a live mini-series, I think Hugh Laurie would make an excellent Roland.

Dodongo77 Jun 24, 2007 10:24 AM

Seems like book 4 is hate it or love it.

Matrix0507 Jul 6, 2007 09:40 AM

About 3/4ths through book 2. Man I am absolutely loving this series! I can't believe I considered myself a King fan but never thought to even try to get into the DT series. I have them all in audiobook form and with my new relationship being long distance, they make for excellent time killers on the 5 hr drive down to her place.

Anyone else find Odetta to be one of the most fascinating characters in the book?

curio Jul 6, 2007 09:59 AM

I really need to give the Dark Tower series a shot again. I was too young to really understand them when I tried to read them at about 12 years old.

From what I remember, I got to a part about a bear with a satellite dish sticking out of his head and I was really confused so I put the book down. :lol:

RealyPssd Jul 6, 2007 11:54 AM

I started it a few years ago made it to the 3rd I think...

Soon I'm going to start @ 1 again and read em' all.

Razeus Jul 6, 2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curio (Post 1335022185)
I really need to give the Dark Tower series a shot again. I was too young to really understand them when I tried to read them at about 12 years old.

From what I remember, I got to a part about a bear with a satellite dish sticking out of his head and I was really confused so I put the book down. :lol:

that's stephen king for ya. I read him all the time when in my teens - and then it was interesting, if a bit weird. I quit reading his books after Tommyknockers and Needful things as I felt he went off the deep end and lost his mind. These days I try reading his new stuff and I'm like WTF? Guess that's why I've been hesitant on picking up the Dark Tower Series.

Villainess Apr 18, 2008 08:55 PM

I have just finished the first book - it has been revised a little since it was originally written. I couldn't put it down. Finished it in 2 days and now I want the next one NOW!

On another note - I have King's book CELL here that I haven't yet read.. might give it a go.

Drunken Janitor Apr 18, 2008 10:53 PM

I thought about reading this series, but I will probably finish up with Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice and Live Ship trilogies and then it will be time for book 5 (Dance with Dragons) from A Song of Ice and Fire. Unless George R.R. Martin would rather just blog about football for another year, lol.

GravY Apr 19, 2008 02:17 AM

good series, first 3 were awesome and then he started to lose me some with the rest.. but well worth the read..

nrs421 Apr 19, 2008 06:20 AM

i read part of the series @ the library many years ago when i was about 10 or so and really liked it. i bought the reprints a year or two ago and have been unable to get back into it. i got into a quarter of book 1 and just stopped.

kepler Apr 19, 2008 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamboozled (Post 1335002166)

^^^ :yes:

I fought my way through to the last book but gave up half way through.