View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:30 PM   #6
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
i also use intel burn test to check for stability quickly.
If the overclock isn't stable, it usually hangs in the first few seconds.
After the initial quick test, I just use all the applications (games) I use normally to test stability and go on from there. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to run stability tests for 24 hours 7 days a week and put unneeded stress on the CPU.
No, neither do I but there is no good reason not to do a few hours of stress testing for an overclock that you plan on using for a year or two. With through stress testing you don't really have to worry that your overclock isn't stable when a game crashes to desktop.

When overclocking my 2500k I was using Linpack with AVX support. That test puts a crazy load on your cpu. The cores would run over 10c hotter than I saw with Prime. I ran that for a couple of hours with no problem. I then heard that Prime blend was a great test for sandy. So, I figured wtf, I'll give it a shot. Almost two hours in I saw an error on a thread.

Who is to say that a game might not crash to desktop on a system that is only stable for a few minutes in Linpack? Now that I think about it I had just that happen with my Q9650. With a certain prime test my system would bsod in minutes.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote