View Single Post
Old Nov 4, 2016, 07:01 PM   #32
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCIon View Post
Odd. Maybe I purchased an ERL that had an even _older_ version of EdgeMAX than yours did, but I _absolutely_ know that -out of the box- hardware offload was _disabled_. An Ars Technica recently ran a piece that mentioned that hardware offload was disabled out-of-the-box on the ERL as of a couple of years ago: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...r-competition/ (search for "This didn't surprise me, because that was about what I saw out of Apache tests".)

Would you mind adding a couple of sentences somewhere that at least _mention_ that offload might be disabled, and mention how to enable it if it is disabled?

Or by going into configure mode and doing
show system offload

And the smallnetbuilder and dslreports forums are filled with anecdata that disagrees with you. It never hurts to ask around.

Ars ran the USG in that article I believe , not the same router... . anyhoo I believe it was changed/added back in like 1.6 of the firmware for the ERL (seems to be what UBNT says), so maybe that is why you and ars remember the good old days of turning it on...anyway the ERL is on by default, but this stuff turns it off

Ethernet Bridging (using ports on the EdgeRouter as a switch)
Ethernet Bonding (also called port-channeling by Cisco or trunking by HP)
Tunnel encapsulation (GRE offload support is coming in 1.7 though)
Quality of Service (QoS)
Policy Routing (in 1.7 this is improved as the existance of a MODIFY rule will no longer disable offload)
Unicast Reverse Path Filtering (uRPF)
5-tuple packet filtering (I think).
Netflow
Port Mirroring

Hard to find a full list, but that is what some people have discovered so far.

Anyway here is a UBNT article on how to disable it (because it is on by default....). And on the chance someone decides to do that for some reason, they provide a how to turn it back on....

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/artic...-acceleration-

set system offload ipsec enable
set system offload ipv4 forwarding enable
set system offload ipv4 pppoe enable
set system offload ipv4 vlan enable
set system offload ipv6 forwarding enable
set system offload ipv6 pppoe disable
set system offload ipv6 vlan enable
Some features cause hardware offloading to be disabled.

I will add it in a few to the main guide though.

Last edited by t0adp1p3 : Nov 4, 2016 at 07:20 PM.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote