View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:56 AM   #92
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

So, it begins.
The old system is fine. In fact, it’s pretty beefy (x570 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gigs of RAM, Corsair HX850W PSU, Noctua NH-D15). I’m migrating it to the freaking Gigantic! Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL, dropping a 5900X on the board, and giving it a new PSU (Corsair HX1000W) in anticipation of an Nvidia 3080 or 3090.
Our younger daughter is going into digital art. The 3900x will serve her very well.
Here’s the old system (nestled in an awesome Fractal Design Define 6). I’m almost sad to change it out. It’s such a great case!

But you see this area there?

That’s the GPU retention clip. Imagine a huge Noctua cooler hovering just over that area. Any time I wanted to remove the gpu I had to fetch a plastic knife (my weapon of choice)…

..remove the fan from the cooler and carefully push that clip. Not fun. Terrible for a guy with fat fingers (how did I ever play the piano?).

Any who…
Here’s the case compared to the Meshify Freaking Huge Edition BBQ-Sauce XLXL:

Perspective is a bit off, but you get the idea. The difference in height is roughly ½ kilometer (math is hard).
First thing I did was remove the heatsink from the processor.
You can see that the paste was nicely spread. I had the Noctua on “Silent” mode all the time. Never heard it unless I was intentionally stressing the processor.

Time to clean up the Noctua and processor!

“Ver-nice-a!”
Poor lil’ guy. Here you can see him gutted. (rated PG-13)

Last edited by mizzer : Apr 19, 2021 at 12:03 PM.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote