View Single Post
Old May 10, 2021, 10:41 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default So I just got my first pre-built in about 20 years

EVO MINI I 3070

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/EVO-Mini-I-3070

Got this badboy though the case is different (there's apparently no room for a case fan at the exhaust? I may have to mod a small fan externally).

That said this beast does run hot. Initially it was running in the low 70's and spiking to about 83c occasionally. From what I read, this is pretty normal but I didn't like that much heat coming out of it so I undervolted by -.080 mv and that helped a little but now it wasn't 100% stable.

So I turned off the turbo for the processor and now it's stable and the heat reduced a LOT down to only the mid 50c range and never going higher than that. Performance is still superb so I don't need the extra power right now. On the bright side, if in the future I need more power I can always re-enable the turbo.

Specs;

Quote:
CAS: Phanteks METALLICGEAR NEO MINI V2 mini-iTX Gaming Case Black w/ Tempered Glass Window (Vertical mount Video Card)
CC: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-10850K 10/20 3.60GHz [Turbo 5.1GHz] 20MB Cache LGA1200
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: None
FAN: CORSAIR HYDRO iCUE H115I PRO XT RGB 280MM
HDD: 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 2400/1950 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 410/405k (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
HEADSET: None
KEYBOARD: CyberPowerPC Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Crucial Ballistix Sport)
MICROPHONE: None
MONITOR: None
MOPAD: None
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z490M-ITX/AC Mini-ITX, ARGB, Dual LAN 1GbE/2.5GbE, 1 PCIe x16, 4 SATA3, 1M.2 SATA/PCIe
MOUSE: CyberPowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 Series 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Ultra Quiet Full Modular Power Supply
PRO_WIRING: None
RUSH: Extra 2 week lead times for selected video cards, Eligible for 5% Instant Rebate when enter “NORUSH” During Checkout.
SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
USBHD: None
VIDEO: [Extra 2 Weeks Lead Time] GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6 (Ampere) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY
I specified that I wanted a different 3070 than the default that they typically send out (according to reddit) which is the basic Gigabyte 3070 because the Gigabyte's have a high rate of failure for some reason. I've read a ton of horror stories of the card being DOA or artifacting within a month of use.

Well the card they sent me was the eVGA 3070 Ultra FTW edition. I got lucky, that's the premium 3070 from eVGA. So far so good, but this one runs HOT. I've seen it get to as high as 86c in some games, but from what I've read that's pretty normal.

Everything is perfectly stable right now, but I want to reduce to heat from the vid card. Undervolting a vid card isn't as straightforward as a PC, but after I did so via MSI afterburner it didn't seem to have any effect on the heat so I'm guessing the card is at it's baseline thermally.

That said, everything is FAST. Running FS2020 with everything at Ultra in 1440p is a treat and testing cyberpunk with everything (including RTX) on and at ultra and silky smooth gameplay at 1440p is also a plus. Hopefully, this will "future proof" me for awhile.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Last edited by xCLAVEx : May 10, 2021 at 11:02 AM.
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote