View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2020, 07:13 PM   #137
the_sextein
Radeon Southern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

When I first took a look at DLSS and RTX it immediately reminded me of Nvidia's SM3.0 implementation that would allow HDR lighting. Back when the Geforce 6 launched maybe 6 games supported it that year and the implementations left most people feeling like it was a little nicer than SM2.0b but not a huge deal. Fast forward a couple years and gamers couldn't imagine not having the accurate lighting with god rays ect.

DLSS sucked bad based on the screenshot comparisons that I was seeing. It's great that Nvidia knew they could achieve their goals and pushed forward with a totally new implementation. I think developers will simply want to support DLSS if it gives their games a free performance gain. The more customers that can get satisfying levels of performance at quality levels they can live with, the less complaining at launch which will allow the devs to key in on real problems and deal with them quicker.

My goal is to push native 4K and I think Nvidia's 3080TI could do that but as games progress and the 3080 series starts to get long in the tooth it will be nice to have a feature like DLSS that could keep things rolling towards the end of the card's lifetime.

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD is developing their own versions of this with the main focus being on their new consoles to help fake 4K resolution. It seems like it would be very useful on those systems that are almost always FPS limited.

Last edited by the_sextein : Feb 26, 2020 at 11:51 AM.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote