View Single Post
Old Dec 25, 2020, 12:39 AM   #220
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Honestly, if you want good memory overclocking results it's better to start out with well binned b-die. It's worth just spending the extra money up front. It doesn't have to be an uber kit: 3200 CL14-14-14 or 3600 CL16-16-16 will be fine. The DRAM Calculator timings usually are pretty accurate for well binned b-die, which saves a lot of time not having to experiment with different settings.

Trying to do anything with Hynix or Micron in my experience is a pain in the ass. There is too much variance stick to stick, and you end up wasting a lot of time trying to find settings that work. Then, even if you succeed in tweaking you're giving up 10% performance because TRFC is stuck running at 500 vs 270 on b-die, and some of the other timings also won't run as tight. You can certainly get more performance out of cheaper sticks, but it's not worth the effort unless you absolutely can't afford to buy something better.

I don't have firsthand experience with poorly binned b-die, but I've heard it isn't that great either, not necessarily any better than Hynix.

The bottom line is if you're going to spend as much time as can be required to dial in a memory overclock, it's better if you start out polishing a gem, rather than trying to polish a turd.

With Ryzen there's a setting called Gear Down Mode, which is sort of a halfway point between 1T and 2T. So, there's not usually a need to drop down to 2T vs simply running 1T with GDM enabled.
After looking at this video i got a cheap b-die Patriot Viper Steel 4000mhz cl19.I could tune it with DRAM Calculator.
I could get 3200mhz cl14-14-14 on my Ryzen 1 without paying for premium FlareX.

Last edited by badsykes : Dec 25, 2020 at 12:45 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote