View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2021, 06:31 PM   #393
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
For some reason, my motherboard has very course voltage adjustment. Default is 1.36V and the next step up is 1.43V. At 1.43V my Hynix MFR will run at DDR-3333 14-16-16-32 CR1, and the same settings with CAS 15 at 1.36V. I initially bought this Trident.Z 32GB kit for a 7700K several years ago, and for Hynix it scores pretty well in AIDA64 with optimized timings (over 50K Read/Write, almost 48K copy, at 45ns). I ran a few memory benchmarks and the difference with CAS 14 was in the noise/margin of error, so I don't see much advantage bumping up the voltage unless going for a high score. Even if the added risk is slight, I'm not comfortable leaving it at CAS 14 and 1.43V 24/7, given that the performance gain seems negligible.
It will be a very small difference in performance. To get more performance you really need to push the frequency higher and start tweaking the subtimings, but that's a deep rabbit hole to go down. Probably not worth it for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
FWIW, my earlier post was meant as a comment about different approaches to overclocking, how some are more interested in pushing voltage limits in pursuit of performance than others, and how I tend toward optimizing performance at lower voltages/noise/power consumption. My old Athon 64 X2 3800+ ran with a 2.5GHz overclock (stock is 2GHz) for a decade or so, at lower than default Vcore. Didn't see the point in bumping up Vcore for another 100MHz. The Athlon X2 still runs perfectly...
It's a valid observation. For what it's worth, I'm more on your page. I will not push to extreme voltages for a small gain. I just try to go to the point of diminishing returns and stop there, or even step it back a notch.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad