View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2020, 06:16 PM   #11
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

Fascinating stuff, and Mark Cerny is the best in the business. Hopefully he'll continue to design hardware for Sony for years to come.

Interesting to see how similar PS5 & xbox series x solutions are. Ryzen+RDNA with some additional hardware optimizations, dedicated audio processing chips, SSD utilization with lots of novel strategies to make the most of the system's RAM. Expandable SSD storage options, plus ability to backup games on an older harddrive. I suppose alot of this is pretty obvious, but it's nice to see anyway.

One big difference was that Cerny emphasized PS5 using variable frequencies, while MS emphasized static frequencies... both seem to be claiming advantages over the other.

Still some outstanding questions remaining:
  • Will Sony and/or MS be launching rumored cheaper lower-spec models?
  • Will PS5 VR support inside-out tracking & wireless capabilities? Will MS eventually support VR goggles at all? (I'd love to see MS support 3rd party PC VR goggles).
  • How strongly will Sony & MS push for using consoles with m+k controls to replace PC gaming?
  • Will either next-gen console be able to launch on time?
  • Will there be enough games that star non-cis women of color?
  • Price.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear that not PS4 games are bc supported... Hopefully the small % that are not supported at launch will be supported later on with software updates? I assume the most popular PS4 games will get updated to take advantage of PS5's capabilities.

'Sounds like the rumors of bc support for PS2/PS3 games was not true... unless Sony is waiting for surprise reveals later? I'm sure Sony will be happy to sell you new HD remasters of the same PS2 games again though!

Ryzen 2600x - radeon 6700xt - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
radeon 6700xt

Last edited by SubCog : Mar 18, 2020 at 06:24 PM.
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote