View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:15 PM   #27
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled withSubCog is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
My post above was about there being little or no real world difference between a PCIE 3 level NVME SSD and a PCIE 4 level NVME SSD. This holds true for pretty much everything except specific sustained sequential workloads that you'll never see with gaming.
Cerny was talking about being able to load texture data faster than you can turn around and look behind you. If that's true, and devs take advantage of it, it might be a big advantage in texture quality. Instead of having to hold all of the textures in memory for a chunk of the levels, you can hold only the textures that the player is seeing on screen at that exact moment.

Of course, one can question whether texture quality is really going to be that important moving forward (as textures are already pretty sharp).

Ryzen 2600x - radeon 6700xt - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro