View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2002, 04:06 PM   #9
_Kosh_
All Alone in the Night

Location: I have always been here. My actual post count is 65535 plus the number below:
_Kosh_ is still being judged by the masses

What pisses me the most is to see how the music/movie industry is maneuvering on all fronts at once attempting to win them all. At some point it becomes senseless and indefendable.

After bringing napster to court and being successful there (which I have no problem with) they attempted to basically build a monopoly for *selling* music online.

They attempted to have the hardware manufacturers put firmware changes so that digital extraction would no longer work. They are trying various schemes to make newer "CDs" (which Phillips says they aren't) that only play well in normal CD players but use Windows Media compressed files when played in a computer CD device. These CDs are supposedly uncopyable. Now they are pushing a US law for SSSCA. In Canada, CDR and MP3 player taxes.

If it becomes increasingly difficult to digitally extract stuff from original music media then quality CD copies as well as MP3 compressed copies will become impossible. I know we're not there yet, but obviously this is the goal. Why then should we have to pay these stupid taxes in addition to eventually not being able to do the damn copies, or being severely limited in the quality of the copying.

Also, I'm against putting such a high tax on CDs that can be used for other purposes than copying CDs. An audio cassette can only record sound, so it's more acceptable to put some tax on it. For CD-Rs, this is abuse, particularly as this will double their cost.

I foresee the same abuse in the future not only applying to the MP3 players but to memory modules as well. As more devices start to use them perhaps there will be a tax on the modules even if they are to be used in devices that can't play MP3s. It's not fair. Why not then have a tax on all batteries since some will power MP3 players.

What's the next step? Why not pay per play for CDs, pay per view for DVDs. That is, in addition to the high initial cost of the discs.

If and when CD ripping becomes totally impossible I predict that the taxes will remain. They'll find a twisted way to sell that to politicians. ../K
_Kosh_ is offline   Reply With Quote