View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:01 PM   #180
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwardstwonha can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I find it weird that you go into RDR expecting Hitman style open ended missions.
I did not say that that was my expectation. What I expect, is some leeway in terms of player agency, using Hitman as an ultimate example of how that can look. Rockstar's games are sold as open world games where the player is free to roam and set out his own adventure. That's largely true, except for the bulk of the missions, which are cinematically structured (Rockstar's strength) but also on-rails in terms of gameplay (Rockstar's weakness).

Quote:
Youre really comparing apple to oranges in terms of game play.
Exactly, because Rockstar has increasingly moved to linear, structured, restricted side of the range of player agency. I'm not saying they should've moved to completely non-linear, non-structured, unrestricted gameplay, but landing where they did, disappointed me to the point of frustration. I encountered issues like leaving friendly characters behind because I strayed too far, leaving mission territory because I tried to flank enemies, and failing a mission because I wanted to set a guy free who pleaded for his life. None of this (and many other times Rockstar says "Jump!" and the player doesn't even get to ask how high) is relevant to the game's brilliant storytelling, but it does restrict player agency greatly.